Sponsored by:

Who Wants My GTR Allocation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Tell that to everybody who calls it Agate Brown. It's brown. Even the dealer said yeah, it's brown everybody says that. It's a running joke apparently. Photos are misleading. Why are you trying to start yet another argument? It's like y'all are bored or something. Go worry about your own car's color instead of mine.

Here's a thread on the very forum you just referenced where people talk about how it's brown: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8481...gate-grey.html

Brown. This is how it looks in person.

That's an awful photo and not true to life at all. While I do think Agate has brown in the spectrum in certain lights, that photo is just laughable. Someone needs to learn how to color correct!
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by hyperion667
WHAT’S DO THESE PICTURES HAVE TO DO WITH THE TOPIC??

Last edited by JSwan724; 01-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM

it's from the scene where Maverick tells the instructor she has wrong information. I think.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Decided to go with a different car. My allocation is a March build (originally February). Delivery most likely in May. Specs are locked. I'm gonna call the dealer to let them know (SoCal), but figured someone might still be looking so PM me.

Selenite Grey Magno
Lightweight wheels
Yellow calipers
Carbon fiber pack I
Carbon fiber pack II
Interior is black with yellow stitching
Black seat belts
Matte carbon crossbar
Matte carbon trim
Carbon door sills
High-end Burmester sound system
Lane tracking
Convenience package
Rear badges delete

MSRP before destination and gas guzzler: $188,425
Was just looking at this awful “build”. I actually feel bad for dealer.

Who wants 25k in carbon fiber and a stereo?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Because most people get the CF packages for the looks at cars and coffee, not for weight savings at the track..lol. And I'm not saying just AMG GT owners, I'm saying most sports/super car buyers in general. And they need a nice stereo to listen to on the way to the C&C event.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
Comments on AMG GT S and GT3 Torque

Originally Posted by guynamedsean
I love the Miami blue.

You should really consider the warnings about the car only making power at higher RPMs. I would actually rather have a 911 GTS or a 911T over the 911 GT3 for street driving. The only big advantage is that they don't depreciate much.
Please see my comment re: GT3 torque below. I follow this forum every day as I had an Edition 1 GT S that I planned to trade on a GT C Roadster for which I had an allocation. Early last year, I used any global English-language website to find DOGs and options lists to create the build spec only to learn that a DOG was available in the US. I canceled my order because the (large, SoCal) dealer claimed that, re: trade-in value, my low-mileage, perfect Ed1 would “park on the lot” and that “special editions aren’t worth any extra after 6 months”. I disagree. But, I canceled my order and bought a different brand. Sadly, this dealer did not have anyone knowledgeable or who valued AMG high-performance vehicles except possibly for the markup opportunities.

I recently traded our other car, a ‘15 911 Turbo S, on a new GT3. I’m responding simply to address the torque comment. I’m still breaking in the GT3, but surprisingly I’m not feeling a lack of low-RPM performance around town even though the torque is much less than the tts. The engine revs quickly and the car has a close-ratio transmission. (I have PDK even though I was a committed heel-and-toe, double-clutch downshifter all my life - I’m simply using the gearbox more with PDK than I did with a stick.) Finally, when I had the GT S, I was always getting comments, kids took videos, S-Class and Bentley drivers shouted “great car”. By comparison, my GT Silver Turbo S was almost invisible. I loved driving both cars equally, but the GT S was a visceral thrill and surprising great performer. Whether an AMG or 911, enjoy your car - most of us switch between brands and somehow manage to buy above our pay grade. I respect the fact that this forum can tolerate a well-intentioned discussion that involves non-AMG vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtTheGlen:
JSwan724 (01-11-2018), thebishman (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by AtTheGlen

Please see my comment re: GT3 torque below. I follow this forum every day as I had an Edition 1 GT S that I planned to trade on a GT C Roadster for which I had an allocation. Early last year, I used any global English-language website to find DOGs and options lists to create the build spec only to learn that a DOG was available in the US. I canceled my order because the (large, SoCal) dealer claimed that, re: trade-in value, my low-mileage, perfect Ed1 would “park on the lot” and that “special editions aren’t worth any extra after 6 months”. I disagree. But, I canceled my order and bought a different brand. Sadly, this dealer did not have anyone knowledgeable or who valued AMG high-performance vehicles except possibly for the markup opportunities.

I recently traded our other car, a ‘15 911 Turbo S, on a new GT3. I’m responding simply to address the torque comment. I’m still breaking in the GT3, but surprisingly I’m not feeling a lack of low-RPM performance around town even though the torque is much less than the tts. The engine revs quickly and the car has a close-ratio transmission. (I have PDK even though I was a committed heel-and-toe, double-clutch downshifter all my life - I’m simply using the gearbox more with PDK than I did with a stick.) Finally, when I had the GT S, I was always getting comments, kids took videos, S-Class and Bentley drivers shouted “great car”. By comparison, my GT Silver Turbo S was almost invisible. I loved driving both cars equally, but the GT S was a visceral thrill and surprising great performer. Whether an AMG or 911, enjoy your car - most of us switch between brands and somehow manage to buy above our pay grade. I respect the fact that this forum can tolerate a well-intentioned discussion that involves non-AMG vehicles.
Maybe the 991.2 GT3 has improved in the low-RPM torque department, other owners can chime in. Definitely a huge difference between the 991.1 GT3 and 2018 AMG GTS. I always drove in manual PDK and was always in 1st or 2nd gear, maxing out in 3rd in city driving stoplight to stoplight to get any meaningful torque and keeping the rpms above 5000.

I found if I left the PDK in Auto, the shifting was more seamless but that wasn't much fun for me.

The 991 TTS is a beast, but after driving the GT3 I didn't find it as interesting despite the power and torque. Others find the TTS a more compliant and enjoyable daily driver and the GT3 better suited for the track.

I can say after 4 months of ownership and over 1000 miles of daily driving, the GTS is far more enjoyable to daily drive and more of an "event" everytime I get behind the wheel without having the stresses and inconveniences of dailying a 458 and Huracan.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
What is a DOG, please?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
What is a DOG, please?
dealer order guide

scott, go on AMG private lounge and they have all the Dogs.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 01-11-2018 at 10:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
AtTheGlen (01-11-2018), MalibuScott (01-11-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 AM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
AMG GT S Experience + GT3 Torque Question

In response to question re: GT3 991.1 vs. 991.2 torque - not much difference: 339 lb-ft in .2; 324 in .1.

Further to my GT S experience: I agree with a previous commentor that the GT S was always an experience to drive - the drive modes, the sound and suspension settings. The GT3 is much more similar to that experience compared to the TTS, which although a wonderful automobile, seemed quite tame in comparison. Bottom line: when driving either one, I didn’t miss the other. Different but both terrific.

As this is an AMG forum, here are a couple of issues that I had resolved under warranty, which might help current MY16 GT S cars. I had a creaking noise in the suspension that occurred when going over uneven surfaces like driveways at an angle to save the splitter - that was a suspension crossmember that was replaced under warranty. It was sourced from Germany and reportedly not a safety/failure risk. I had a rattle at the back of the hatch presumably around the lock and this was fixed under warranty. Otherwise, build quality was fine.

My M-B Service Advisor was the best I’ve ever had. Sadly the sales unit didn’t match up. But as GuyNamedSean posted, I’ve dealt with others M-B dealerships that were great. I regret not seeing if someone might have been able to grab my allocation as FourT6and2 tried to do. I believe it would have been a very sweet GT C Roadster for someone just like it would have been a terrific companion for our other car, the Porsche.

Several months ago on the AMG members’ forum and at a performance driving academy session in late ‘15 (the academy is absolutely terrific and definitely worth attending!), I advocated for two things: (1) an AMG-knowledgeable person at every dealership who could assist the salesperson and the customer with facts and figures about AMG vehicles and assist with the ideal configuration especially on new cars early in the launch cycle. That person might receive a bonus when a deal closed in which he/she participated, but they would not compete with the salesperson for a commission (in a small dealership, the AMG expert could be another salesperson); and (2) have special programs for brand ambassadors like us who trade frequently, attend cars and coffee/cafe events and like talking about our rides. This could include optimal trade-in values especially when ending a lease early and providing the best possible rates for financing and leasing.

I’ll continue to follow this forum as its great discussions and to see members new AMG GT-series cars. BTW, we drove or Ed1 GT S from SoCal to Laguna Seca for the driving academy and it was astounding how much luggage we were able to stuff into the back and behind the seats! A true GT car.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
In response to question re: GT3 991.1 vs. 991.2 torque - not much difference: 339 lb-ft in .2; 324 in .1.

Further to my GT S experience: I agree with a previous commentor that the GT S was always an experience to drive - the drive modes, the sound and suspension settings. The GT3 is much more similar to that experience compared to the TTS, which although a wonderful automobile, seemed quite tame in comparison. Bottom line: when driving either one, I didn’t miss the other. Different but both terrific.

Interesting reading, thanks for taking the time.

I've canvased opinion from owners that have both cars (GTS and TTS) to see how they compare - TTS, while being stupidly fast and capable, does seem slightly less engaging, other than for its ability to shock you with the ferocity of its acceleration.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
I sold my 991.2 GTS pdk a few months ago. It was by far the most boring sports car I have ever owned. Everything was just ok, performance, sound, engagement, and this is from a car that supposedly laps around tracks faster than 991.1 GT3 but that’s not saying much either because the 991.1 GT3 was itself a very underwhelming sports car.

I sold my 991.1 TTS about a year ago and have regretted it ever since. Put aside the fact that there’s almost no sadness that can’t be reversed into a grin just be doing four or five consecutive launches, that car was a freaking beast. Sure not as visceral as a GTR or a Z07, but very few cars are, and that’s not what Porsche does anyway. I took that car to the track and slapped it around at every occasion and it didn’t blink once. I took it on road trips, I took it through rough city streets ... it basically did everything a track and a GT car is expected to do exceptionally, and she was a beauty. Man I miss that thing.

thebishman (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 07:29 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
The elitism in this thread.........wow..........
Old 01-12-2018, 08:18 AM

I daily drive a 991.1 TTS and love it. Even in the snow. However, I do find the steering to be less than engaging and with zero feedback. I keep an eye on the GT3 market and am always stunned at how well they maintain their values even the 991.1. I haven't driven a 991.2 yet, but will next week out at Exotic Racing in Vegas - looking forward to doing back to back runs in it and the GT3 RS. I wish they had a GT-R out there too.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Whatever. Don't bring that success hating class warfare crap around here. Some of these people did the things in life that you were unwilling to do. It's not like all these people were born into royalty or won the lottery. I'm actually inspired when I talk to people who have achieved great things.
The following 3 users liked this post by guynamedsean:
AtTheGlen (01-12-2018), JSwan724 (01-12-2018), surfah (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Can you explain what you mean? How is current/past owners talking about their cars and experiences elitist?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by thebishman

Can you explain what you mean? How is current/past owners talking about their cars and experiences elitist?
I suspect he means the bashing of the IP, but I don't think that's elitism. Manners knows no particular class or socioeconomic group nor are bad manners a sign of elitism. They are just bad manners.
hyperion667 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

Was just looking at this awful “build”. I actually feel bad for dealer.

Who wants 25k in carbon fiber and a stereo?
im not sure the build is awful. A lot of the cars are street racers with no intention of ever going to the track. The lack of CCB is the tell tale that this car was never meant to go to the track.

All the bling points to it was designed to be a trophy piece. The Carbon fiber on the GTR is purely decorative and not weight reducing . I’m not sure any one was concerned about building a lighter car. Remember my Pano Roof query ? Everyone said yay to a Heavy glass roof. Everyone also agreeed that they would OEM upgrade the stereo or do an aftermarket upgrade.

Im not sure why 46 and 2 dropped his GTR. Guess he just got tired of waiting . Waiting is bad for Buyers Remorse. You second guess your choices every day until the car is tangible . Then you remember , it’s just a friggin car. Who cares? If you don’t like it , sell it and get another .

The build is not outlandish. I’m sure it will sell quickly after it hits the Dealer if they sell it at MSRP OR LOWER.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Since it’s not in production until March I’m sort of surprised the build is locked. For sure it’s not a bad build, although for a street car the lack of CCBs is interesting and one option I’d never be without. Perhaps the dealer can add/subtract options later than a customer? If not I’m wondering if the OP paid a deposit to lock in the order and whether it was returned?

Bish
Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
With the build in March the build shouldn't be locked. I have a car scheduled for March and it's still open for modifications.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Most track cars are ordered with steel brakes as they are cheaper to replace. CCBs can be cost-prohibitive for dedicated track use but are perfect for the street with the absence of brake dust and longevity.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Originally Posted by surfah
Most track cars are ordered with steel brakes as they are cheaper to replace. CCBs can be cost-prohibitive for dedicated track use but are perfect for the street with the absence of brake dust and longevity.
every day is a school day. My dealer told me the opposite and said if i wasn’t tracking it , to pass on ccb.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by thecutter64

every day is a school day. My dealer told me the opposite and said if i wasn’t tracking it , to pass on ccb.
I think CCBs are better on the track but some track guys like getting the cheaper steel rotors and just replacing when needed.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Without a doubt the CCBs are nice to have on the street due to the almost non-existence of brake dust. They are also a help for handling due to the decreased unsprung weight at all four corners. As for the track it’s been reported in some reviews that the iron brakes can be prone to fade, something that iirc has not been reported with the CCMs. Time will tell in the spring as more of us can get the car onto a road course. Re: costs: obviously replacing a CCM rotor is going to be markedly more expensive than an iron one, but IF the rotor is like the current gen 3 Porsche CCM rotor, it should handle street and light track duty; (4-5 DE weekends/year) well. Another reason they’re worth it to me.

I started another thread here seeing if anyone had loads of info on the GTR’s CCM brakes; (manufacturer; size; replacement choices, etc.), but so far not much info forthcoming.

Bish

Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS
Tell that to everybody who calls it Agate Brown. It's brown. Even the dealer said yeah, it's brown everybody says that. It's a running joke apparently. Photos are misleading. Why are you trying to start yet another argument? It's like y'all are bored or something. Go worry about your own car's color instead of mine.

Here's a thread on the very forum you just referenced where people talk about how it's brown: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8481...gate-grey.html

Brown. This is how it looks in person.

More pics of my Agate and although I do agree if you can only have either the GT3 or the GTR the GT3 is the car to have the agate is grey not brown.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Who Wants My GTR Allocation?