MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   Seat Belt Recall (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/698429-seat-belt-recall.html)

MalibuScott 02-12-2018 09:08 PM

Seat Belt Recall

I received the official letter (vaguely dated "February 2018") that my car was being recalled for the seat belt loop preventing the seat belt from rewinding. It's happened to me constantly. The recall notice says the parts are not yet available. Mercedes is probably retrofitting the cars in port and at the dealers first.

In order to speed things up I wrote to MBUSA today and asked for a comparable loaner until the belt parts are available.

We shall see.

JSwan724 02-12-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott (Post 7379839)
I received the official letter (vaguely dated "February 2018") that my car was being recalled for the seat belt loop preventing the seat belt from rewinding. It's happened to me constantly. The recall notice says the parts are not yet available. Mercedes is probably retrofitting the cars in port and at the dealers first.

In order to speed things up I wrote to MBUSA today and asked for a comparable loaner until the belt parts are available.

We shall see.

Please don’t hold your breath... :D :D

Regards

California John 02-12-2018 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott (Post 7379839)

We shall see.

I got mine also.

Vic55 02-12-2018 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by JSwan724 (Post 7379851)

Please don’t hold your breath... :D :D

Regards

Haha I dont know of any such cars in any local loaner fleet. It just wouldnt make sense. My RS7 at 150k msrp is in for service and I got an A5 Sportline; not bad so Ill take it.

MalibuScott 02-12-2018 10:41 PM

I'm not expecting much. But since I am in the market for an S63 cabriolet, too, with the Panamericana grille (deliveries expected by my dealer in 3-4 weeks), maybe word will get around.

cyberorth 02-13-2018 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by California John (Post 7379869)
I got mine also.

I was worried about it holding back my delivery last month as a car with active recall campaign cannot be delivered to customer. so I asked my AMG contact and he said that it only applied to the gta and gtca. But here I see MalibuScott has got one for his coupe! did they sell me a car they shouldn’t have?! Too late now :D

Vic55 02-13-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott (Post 7379912)
I'm not expecting much. But since I am in the market for an S63 cabriolet, too, with the Panamericana grille (deliveries expected by my dealer in 3-4 weeks), maybe word will get around.

While a loaner fleet wont have what you want, your relationship with MB or the dealer will allow for a BCA on a nice car. I got to borrow an S63 coupe for a few days while my C63BS was getting some service done. The GM made that call for me.

surfah 02-13-2018 03:22 PM

I got the recall letter yesterday but haven't had any issues with my seat belt over the past 5 months since new.

Nowhere in the letter did MBUSA specify one shouldn't drive the car. The letter did specify that the affected part hasn't been sourced yet and we would get another letter once the part came in.

MalibuScott 02-13-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by surfah (Post 7380288)
I got the recall letter yesterday but haven't had any issues with my seat belt over the past 5 mohths since new.

Nowhere in the letter did MBUSA specify one shouldn't drive the car. The letter did specify that the affected part hasn't been sourced yet and we would get another letter once the part came in.

I agree the letter doesn't say "Don't drive the car." What the letter does say is this:

"IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL"

"[A] defect that relates to motor vehicle safety . . ."

"The resulting slack in the seatbelt could impair the restraining function of the seatbelt, which could increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash."

And "The parts to remedy this are currently not available."

I'm not sure what your "sourced" comment means. Mercedes-Benz either has a solution, and is producing the parts (i.e., they've been "sourced"), or it doesn't. Has Mercedes-Benz fixed cars in port and at dealers with the issue? If so, the parts have been "sourced" but are not being supplied to those of us who are subject to the recall.

And I've had constant problems with the seat belt.

surfah 02-13-2018 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott (Post 7380298)
I agree the letter doesn't say "Don't drive the car." What the letter does say is this:

"IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL"

"[A] defect that relates to motor vehicle safety . . ."

"The resulting slack in the seatbelt could impair the restraining function of the seatbelt, which could increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash."

And "The parts to remedy this are currently not available."

I'm not sure what your "sourced" comment means. Mercedes-Benz either has a solution, and is producing the parts (i.e., they've been "sourced"), or it doesn't. Has Mercedes-Benz fixed cars in port and at dealers with the issue? If so, the parts have been "sourced" but are not being supplied to those of us who are subject to the recall.

And I've had constant problems with the seat belt.

So I take it you've stopped driving your AMG?

Regarding "sourced" I mean the dealerships have not obtained the materials or parts from Mercedes to remedy the seat belt issue.

surfah 02-13-2018 05:31 PM

I called the MBUSA 1-800 number and they advised it was OK to drive car since I haven't encountered any seatbelt issues but that if one occured I should pull over on the side of the road and call Roadside service.