Sponsored by:

GT-R vs GT-C suspension (Ride Quality)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550 Coupe
GT-R vs GT-C suspension (Ride Quality)

I was curious to know if anyone out there has had a chance to drive both of these models and can comment on the suspension and ride quality differences. I test drove a GT-C last weekend and found the suspension very tolerable for the street. I am buying the GTR for my wife who will use it for very short trips as her daily but since we will not be able to find one to test drive I am concerned that it may be too rough for her. Obviously in this sense I am comparing Comfort mode to Comfort mode. I have a '16 Viper ACR Extreme and she is terrified at the thought of stiff "racecar" like suspension so I'm trying to avoid a 200k disaster! From what I have tried to extract from some of the written reviews the suspension is similar between the two, but then I also find some contradicting opinions on the harshness of the ride in some videos.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this topic!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts
Porsche gt3 trading to amg gtr
I don’t have experience with GtC but I have with GTR and ACR extreme, what I can tell you for sure is that there’s no street car as uncomfortable as the ACR 😆. If I can categorize my experience in cars from comfortable to less comfortable in the newest cars I owned it will be like this.

Mclaren 650S
Mercedes GTR
991 GT3
and then ACR

The AMG gtr is comfortable for being a track oriented car, she can drive it on sport mode with the suspension on soft and exhaust bypass on. Or she can save an individual mode for ther preference. I Drive it on sport plus or race mode to get familiar with the car for my first track day in it.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Why would you D drive a GTR on short trips? On sport cups ? Lol.

IMO that’s exactly why GTC was developed ....more muscle for street.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 02-14-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
I have the GT/C Roadster with now over 2,000 miles... I have to say that when I first got the car, I was surprised at the ride quality being more taunt then I expected... especially in sport settings... eventually I went to individual settings and selected comfort for suspension... I recently drove from NC to FLA and back and had no issues with two 7hr + runs... I suspect at slow speeds your wife will be fine... but maybe you should go see your service manager at the dealership and see what info he has for any differences between the two cars in comfort mode... I suspect they would be very similar for comfort but a progression of firmness would be applied to the GT/R as the settings move toward race.... just get her the GT/C and she can drop the top and enjoy the sunshine... I'll bet only at the top 95% level on a track with the same tires would the suspension difference between the two cars would expose itself... are you that good to find the last 5% ?? risk and reward !!
The following users liked this post:
rapidrezults (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts
Porsche gt3 trading to amg gtr
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

I agree with this totally.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM

S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

I guess I should've mentioned that I am going to be tracking the car on the weekends. Lol.

I am trying to create a win/win for everyone.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
I think if your worried about ride quality for short trips you need to look at another model. The GTR is the hardcore model of the gt cars.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 PM

S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Td33
I think if your worried about ride quality for short trips you need to look at another model. The GTR is the hardcore model of the gt cars.
This is a great observation, but what are you basing this on? Clearly, you haven't read some of the reviews about the GTR that bring validity to some of the questions I am asking.

The below quote was taken from the Top Gear review of the AMG GTR. Assuming this is the "hardcore" GTR..it sure seems like based on one reviewers actual driving experience the GTR seems to ride BETTER on the road than even the GT-S.

So what’s it like to drive?

Way better than the GT S, for starters. Not just around a track, but on the road as well. Let’s start there, in fact, because I think that’s the GT R’s biggest gain. I expected it to be better around a circuit, but hadn’t anticipated just how much more together it would be on the road.

Of course I didn’t fiddle with the suspension settings beyond the usual Comfort/Sport/Sport+ electronic controls, but what struck me was a) how much chassis rigidity had improved, and b) how compliant the ride was. The two aren’t unrelated. A stiffer platform has allowed AMG to soften off the springing. Bucking and pogoing on bumpy roads has been drastically reduced – not completely eradicated because that would be impossible given your backside is pretty much on top of the back axle. You do get some vertical motion, but it’s well controlled by the dampers, and the extra width has enhanced stability.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Ml63
Originally Posted by rapidrezults
This is a great observation, but what are you basing this on? Clearly, you haven't read some of the reviews about the GTR that bring validity to some of the questions I am asking.

The below quote was taken from the Top Gear review of the AMG GTR. Assuming this is the "hardcore" GTR..it sure seems like based on one reviewers actual driving experience the GTR seems to ride BETTER on the road than even the GT-S.
I have been in and driven many of the gt cars including the GTR. Maybe I’m wrong because I don’t worry about ride comfort when in and driving a pure sports car. I’m sure you could take 100 people and have them drive all the gt cars and get several different answers to your question. I thought the GTR’s ride was in line with what the car is. Didn’t they name this car “the beast of the green hell.” Kinda self explanatory.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:05 PM

S550 Coupe
Thank you for your input. This is the type of input I am trying to gather because there seems to be polar opposite opinions and reviews which I don't typically see on cars like this.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Ml63
Thank you for your input. This is the type of input I am trying to gather because there seems to be polar opposite opinions and reviews which I don't typically see on cars like this.
No problem. Unfortunately this is a very subjective question. It would be nice if you and your wife could drive the cars your looking at.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Probably the best solution if your really tracking GTR, would be to fit conservative size Michelin P4s before delivery and then fit Sport cups before tracking. Most of any ride difference between 2 cars will be tires.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
As an owner I can tell you that the GTR even in ‘C’ mode is not what one could call supple. I drive it with the MPSC2s at 28 psi which is 3 psi less than recommended and it still is not a paragon of compliance. My ‘15 Z06 with the Z07 option was more compliant in ‘Tour’ mode. Our roads here aren’t the best btw.

That being said I’ve owned worse cars re: compliance on the street; (2009 Nissan GTR anyone?), and I find it acceptable for the type of vehicle that it is, plus I bought it to track and occasionally drive on the street, not as a DD.

In your situation I’d almost recommend the GTC since your wife will be daily driving the car; they are very close in their performance envelopes, and then you can place a set of dedicated track wheels/tyres on the car for when you leave for the track.

Good luck with with your decision.

Bish
TN_AMG_GTC (09-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Since the car will be primarily a daily driver, I also would favor the GTC over the GTR. I have read several complaints on this forum regarding the suspension compliance for 2016 and 2017 GT and GTS. I wonder if this issue was remedied for 2018 models as my GTS is extremely comfortable even in sport suspension.

I daily drove a 991 GT3 for 2 years and don't really miss the rough suspension over potholes and crappy roads and the significant road chatter with the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
The suspension in my 2018 GTS is pretty comfortable even over the rough snow ravaged roads here in NY.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I don't understand any of this. Why on earth would you buy a GTR for your wife and short trips? It's totally the wrong car for that. Get her a SL or E Coupe and you get the GTR for the track.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 02-15-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Germancar1
I don't understand any of this. Why on earth would you buy a GTR for your wife and short trips? It's totally the wrong car for that. Get her a SL or E Coupe and you get the GTR for the track.

M
Because he’s a Fox man. He wants that track Car and he’s selling her the DD. ..
Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 PM

S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
It's really not that complicated. She has an S-Coupe now, and she wants something sportier and more aggressive. Test drove a GT-C and she loved it. I mention short trips only because it's not going to be a car used to commute on long trips to work. I'd rather get a GTR for resale(hopefully) and occasional track days, not to mention it's just a badass car.....it's called a compromise? Still confused?
thebishman (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 PM

S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by thebishman
As an owner I can tell you that the GTR even in ‘C’ mode is not what one could call supple. I drive it with the MPSC2s at 28 psi which is 3 psi less than recommended and it still is not a paragon of compliance. My ‘15 Z06 with the Z07 option was more compliant in ‘Tour’ mode. Our roads here aren’t the best btw.

That being said I’ve owned worse cars re: compliance on the street; (2009 Nissan GTR anyone?), and I find it acceptable for the type of vehicle that it is, plus I bought it to track and occasionally drive on the street, not as a DD.

In your situation I’d almost recommend the GTC since your wife will be daily driving the car; they are very close in their performance envelopes, and then you can place a set of dedicated track wheels/tyres on the car for when you leave for the track.

Good luck with with your decision.

Bish
This is great info. Thank you. I think I finally found a localish dealer who will let us test drive a GTR they have. We'll see how it goes......

Last edited by rapidrezults; 02-15-2018 at 10:58 PM.
thebishman (02-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
rapidrezults, did you get a chance to test drive the GTR? I am also considering a GTR, but concerned about the ride comfort. I had a GTS and loved it, In comfort mode it rode very nicely. I also test drove GTC and thought the ride was comfortable. I had a Jag. Type R for a brief time and the ride was too firm for my taste. I track my cars once a month and so track performance is not that critical. I do like the aggressive look of GTR better specially in the back and that is one of the reasons I prefer GTR over GTC, brag rights is another reason.

Last edited by N-4Speed; 12-16-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
I have not driven a GTR, but I have owned a GTS for several years and tracked it for as long as I have owned it. I have the dynamic pack which has a more track oriented suspension, and it is acceptable in terms of ride quality, but still quite stiff on the road in any mode.

I also have 3 friends who drive on track who have an AMG GTR, and two of those also have an ACR Extreme. One of them is selling his GTR because he says it is just way too stiff on the street, in particular because of the rear suspension. The third says he sold his GTR as well and took quite a loss, also because he found the ride unacceptable on the street. He bought a Turbo S instead, and loves that. The first two agree with the post above that the ACR Extreme is quite terrible as a street car and neither drives theirs on the street if they can avoid it, and that it's very expensive to run on track due to the extreme tire wear, typically losing half track day fees on the second day because they are out of tires. I had a trade-in offer on my GTS for a GTR which fell through, and now I am glad it did. Track performance would have been better I am sure, but at the expense of road manners.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
The GTR is firm, but not teeth rattle firm. Do you live in an area with lots of potholes? Maybe won’t be very fun for her to drive.

I don’t understand why people think the GTR should strictly be driven on a track. It’s YOUR car....drive your kid to the pool, take it to the post office, etc!

I think she’ll love the GTR! Much tamer version of your ACR. Have you seen the Youtuber “Shmee150” videos? He takes it on long distance trips across Europe without issues. This car will do absolutely fine for small errands and daily drives.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
My GT R is perfectly acceptable on the street on it’s OEM tyres. I drop the psi to 28 all round instead of the recommended 31, but tend to drive in ‘Sport’ most of the time and drop into ‘Comfort’ if the road is really crappy. I can’t believe that anyone who buys a performance vehicle like the GT R would think the ride isn’t compliant enough for street use. It’s a perfectly usable DD also.

Bish
Old 12-17-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Can't speak for GTR but my GTS with the Dynamic Plus Package is like a Bentley in Comfort suspension compared to my 991 GT3 which is like going to the dentist on crappy rodes.
ronin amg (12-20-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 129 Likes on 58 Posts
18 Avent. S, 18 GTS, 17 Cali T, 20 C8, 20 M850
Originally Posted by Albuht813
I don’t understand why people think the GTR should strictly be driven on a track. It’s YOUR car....drive your kid to the pool, take it to the post office, etc!
Thank you! I couldn't agree more. If I am not on the track, then I want my ride to be comfy and supple.

Originally Posted by surfah
Can't speak for GTR but my GTS with the Dynamic Plus Package is like a Bentley in Comfort suspension compared to my 991 GT3 which is like going to the dentist on crappy rodes.
I agree, my GTS in Comfort mode was one of the most comfortable sport car I have owned. I guess as others have mentioned, ride comfort perception is very subjective. My F-Type R ride was so harsh, I got ride of it in 3 weeks, however, my Huracan on Strada mode rides nice and comfortable.

I was hoping to test drive the GTR today and get a feel for the ride, but they said the previous owner cracked the front splitter and the car is now on the lift waiting for new lip and brackets to arrive:-(. It is funny how the MB dealers in DFW area don't let you test drive their new GTRs. I can walk into a Lambo or Ferrari dealer here and test drive anything on their showroom floor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R vs GT-C suspension (Ride Quality)