Sponsored by:

2020 GT BS announced!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
18 AMG GTR
2020 GT BS announced!

Confirmed by several publications. Very excited to see what they have in store. Sounds like it will not have a huge bump in power though...

"Engine output is also likely to climb in the AMG GT Black Series, with Moers saying there’s “still room for more,” power from the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8. The V8 currently makes 577 hp in the AMG GT R, which is the current AMG GT range-topper. But the seven-speed dual-clutch AMG transmission can’t handle much more power, Moers explained, so don’t expect an absolutely massive jump in power. Something like 50 hp seems like a realistic guess."

Autoguide article

"Speaking to Australian website CarAdvice, AMG boss Tobias Moers said there is “a GT variant still left,” in the pipeline and that it has “started the journey for Black Series.” He also said that 2020 will be an “interesting year,” for the AMG brand, indicating the most hardcore version of the AMG GT will arrive in about two years.

Photos of a prototype for the AMG GT Black Series surfaced late last year wearing a new lightweight wheel design and the diffuser from the AMG GT GT4 racecar. The prototype also featured a roll cage and the medium-sized rear wing from the AMG GT R. Like the SLS AMG Black Series, the AMG GTversion will likely get a downforce-inducing aero kit, lightweight seats, a different wheel and tirecombo and motorsport-inspired interior touches.

In September, Moers also told Motoring the AMG GT Black Series will offer a good balance of power and handling performance.

“The GT R is still very competitive and is doing quite well [but] when we do a Black Series it’s going to happen in the GT family,” he said.“The GTR for sure chassis-wise is capable of more power. So yes Black Series should always have a little bit more power but it’s not all bout horsepower — it’s all about the handling, the performance on the track.”

“Yes we can do more. GT R is less weight than GT S so yes we’re working on that,” he added. “For Black Series it will be mandatory to reduce weight.”

"The boss of Mercedes-AMG GmbH Tobias Moers has confirmed the somewhat open secret that his company is working on a coveted GT Black Series for 2020.

This most hardcore of Mercedes-AMG GT coupes will sit above the $350k AMG GT R and become the absolute pinnacle of the company’s Porsche 911 rivalling sports car range.

“There is a GT variant still left… We are on the journey, we started the journey for Black Series,” Moers dropped to us today, adding later that 2020 would be an “interesting year” for the Affalterbach brand."

car advice article

Last edited by str8blst; 03-09-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
I just got goose bumps
Old 03-09-2018, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Engine already makes 600+ in the bigger cars. Getrag can make stronger versions of the gearbox, it's in other vehicles with more torque. I'd love to see them bump the car to closer to 700 but it's already a handful as it is. Lighter weight will help though, it's already such a nasty car.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the ball straight every time
Is it really necessary to make so many variations and to bite the overhead cost? I only hope Mercedes engineers work to improve the AMG GT to be a better, sleeker, and more reliable car.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
Is it really necessary to make so many variations and to bite the overhead cost? I only hope Mercedes engineers work to improve the AMG GT to be a better, sleeker, and more reliable car.
It is necessary, I think. The GT was born after the SLS Black Series. Just as F1 tech trickles down, I'd bet Black Series tech trickles down too. Not too mention marketing loves having something new to market.

The GT is faster than an SLS Black. The w205 C63 is faster than a w204 Black. It seems like AMG is using what it learns.
The following users liked this post:
AMG 17GT (03-12-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Yea I assumed 2020 for a black series.. makes sense.. just because the GT sedan makes 630hp doesnt mean the GTR black will be able to handle it easily... there are packaging differences.. the transmission difference etc... but I assume 630 (not that your GTR cant get than now with minor upgrades?)

The Viper ACR is a great example of how the same engine with more aero, lighter weight and better suspension can make a monster... power is great, but all that other stuff is just as paramount.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
The Viper ACR is a great example of how the same engine with more aero, lighter weight and better suspension can make a monster... power is great, but all that other stuff is just as paramount.
For sure. The AMG GT4 makes less power than the AMG GTR, but smashes the GTR on any circuit. A cross between the two is what I'm hoping for in the GT BS. No stereo, less sound deadening, bigger wing, a front splitter too big for Europe, lighter wheels, but keep the 9-stage traction control and A/C. ;-)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Spoke with my dealer MB of Foothill Ranch in Orange County CA and they said because i was a repeat customer they can now take a deposit for the GT BS, deposit was only $5-10K.
However that does not mean i get the car for MSRP. I would still need to pay aover the sticker asking price which depends on what the market is at the time.
As you can imagine i wasnt too happy to hear this, i wish MB had the same program like Porsche where the VIP customers get the cars for MSRP.
I personally am not willing to pay $50k over the MSRP which i would imagine is what the market would be here in Southern CA.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Angel: you are not searching hard enough. There are dealers that will take your deposit at MRSP.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Angel 430
Spoke with my dealer MB of Foothill Ranch in Orange County CA and they said because i was a repeat customer they can now take a deposit for the GT BS, deposit was only $5-10K.
However that does not mean i get the car for MSRP. I would still need to pay aover the sticker asking price which depends on what the market is at the time.
As you can imagine i wasnt too happy to hear this, i wish MB had the same program like Porsche where the VIP customers get the cars for MSRP.
I personally am not willing to pay $50k over the MSRP which i would imagine is what the market would be here in Southern CA.
Foothill Ranch is owned by the company as Mercedes Benz of Laguna of Niguel which had a GTR on their floor for $50K over.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by California John
Foothill Ranch is owned by the company as Mercedes Benz of Laguna of Niguel which had a GTR on their floor for $50K over.
Eesh, that's brazen ... Hopefully I'll get one.. I think I already have people in line..I dont know.. thats a year away though.. dont think I'd tie up someones money that could be losing money in the stock market currently
Old 03-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by California John
LOL yes i believe they ended up selling it for 25K over sticker. Foothill Ranch also had a white GTR that they sold for 25K over sticker.
Fletcher Jones is not much better either, purchased 4 cars from them in a two days period for my employees and then when i went back to get one for myself they tried to give me horrible deals so i took my business to Foothill ranch where i ended up getting 2 within few months and also referring to more friends there that ended up getting cars.
I guess i just need to call around some more dealers and find someone that is willing sell it for MSRP.
Anyone have an idea what the Black Series GT would go for? My guess is $225k to $250K.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
More like 325 to 350k would be my guess.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:51 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Old 05-14-2021, 02:58 PM

Received 124 Likes on 56 Posts
AMG GT Black Series
Originally Posted by benzbell
More like 325 to 350k would be my guess.
There's one going up for auction in Italy, I wonder how much over MSRP it will go for.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:26 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds
There's one going up for auction in Italy, I wonder how much over MSRP it will go for.