MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   GTs front camera (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/701338-gts-front-camera.html)

Stentplacer 03-12-2018 06:13 PM

GTs front camera

Does anyone know if there is a way to add a front camera for parking that will show up on nav screen?

JSwan724 03-12-2018 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stentplacer (Post 7402871)
Does anyone know if there is a way to add a front camera for parking that will show up on nav screen?

I assume you are using the Parking Assist yellow/red lighting system that is an option.

If you try to add on/retrofit the camera system that many cars ordered as an option is could be cost prohibitive and the dealer may not want to do it.

I would recommend checking with the dealer though.

Regards

Stentplacer 03-12-2018 07:31 PM

No parking assist on vehicle. Rear camera for backing. Looking for something aftermarket....camera added to grill that can be viewed on Nav screen.

If nothing available...i think curb assist might be option. I have a good handle on front end when parking....however when ———— drives it very infrequently it would be helpful.

JSwan724 03-12-2018 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stentplacer (Post 7402930)
No parking assist on vehicle. Rear camera for backing. Looking for something aftermarket....camera added to grill that can be viewed on Nav screen.

If nothing available...i think curb assist might be option. I have a good handle on front end when parking....however when ———— drives it very infrequently it would be helpful.

I understand completely. I equipped “the significant others” GLC with all that stuff. My garage work benches couldn’t take much more. I am truly wondering if it is possible to have MB add one of theirs. You’ll need the bumper sensors and MB software.

okbarnett 03-12-2018 10:03 PM

renntech does it for certain radios, but not amg gt .
They tap into the rear view camera feature when it is not in reverse. Apparently not possible for newer radios. I made my own front camera with aft mkt rear camera kit. But have to have aft mkt screen in glove box/console and access when wanted. Its not optimum but functional and saves the nose

N-4Speed 02-26-2019 03:09 PM

I am also looking to add front camera to my GTS. I found a company in NY that sells the interface for $300, Has anyone heard of them?

https://naviks.com/i-24075606-2015-2...ines-dpgl.html

emericr 02-26-2019 08:41 PM

good find. I wonder what kind of camera you need to add on top of that interface and the install cost. All this sounds a bit cost prohibitive as I got used to the OEM system that beeps at me when I get close.

Orcbolg 02-26-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by emericr (Post 7691836)
good find. I wonder what kind of camera you need to add on top of that interface and the install cost. All this sounds a bit cost prohibitive as I got used to the OEM system that beeps at me when I get close.

Noticed this as well, no information that's easily accessible regarding which cameras to use/play nice with this system. I REALLY don't understand why supercars/super sports cars don't come with 360 camera systems. Of all the cars I'd rather have it in, ours are the types to get the most use imo.

emericr 02-27-2019 11:48 AM

Agreed and I think MB takes longer than the competition to bring this kind of useful technology in their cars. Another few pounds of electronics and wires is not going make a difference in the performance but with that long hood, it would be so nice to have. I thought I read that the 2020 GT will have it.

Orcbolg 02-27-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by emericr (Post 7692263)
Agreed and I think MB takes longer than the competition to bring this kind of useful technology in their cars. Another few pounds of electronics and wires is not going make a difference in the performance but with that long hood, it would be so nice to have. I thought I read that the 2020 GT will have it.

I'd love that, would give me a project to work on as well to try and retro fit it. My audio/visual guy is supposed to walk me through an aftermarket solution that they offer today.

N-4Speed 02-27-2019 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by emericr (Post 7691836)

I think any Alpine CMOS or Kenwood CMOS with RCA connectors should work. I had a a Maserati Granturismo years ago and added front & rear using similar interface and Kenwood camera. The interface was pricey at $1,200. Cameras were about $100. For front I had to get a flipped/mirror cam to invert the image.

Orcbolg 02-27-2019 07:45 PM

My installer walked me through the best option, which is apparently the Rydeen RDV360-3D, which they said will work with our systems, and would replace the current backup camera view in the stock screen with this one:
https://rydeenmobile.com/product/rdv...d-view-system/

That said, he quoted me $3300... And I'm not sure I like it thaaat much.. :/

AMG 17GT 02-27-2019 07:52 PM

Ouch.

Orcbolg 02-27-2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7692717)
Ouch.

Yup, I'm sure if I ever curb a wheel that I'll be wishing I had sprung for it... So I guess I better never do that. :naughty:

thebishman 02-27-2019 08:40 PM

Isn’t It a lot cheaper to just back the damn car into a parking space? The rear camera has really good fidelity, and the superimposed lines make it super easy to park.

Bish

Tirgoman 02-27-2019 10:05 PM

I installed a camera in front to avoid tearing up the lower front spoiler. So far can't find a module to connect to the 2019 MB electronics so I put a small monitor on the dash. Not bad solution. If I eventually find a direct connect I can just plug in the camera. Small switch on the side of the console turns it on when I want. Camera I bought had 6 different views. I have it adjusted so that when the curb or parking stop is at the bottom edge of the monitor I stop and have about a foot of space.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7e66169c61.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b13d57a48b.jpg

Orcbolg 02-27-2019 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tirgoman (Post 7692827)
I installed a camera in front to avoid tearing up the lower front spoiler. So far can't find a module to connect to the 2019 MB electronics so I put a small monitor on the dash. Not bad solution. If I eventually find a direct connect I can just plug in the camera. Small switch on the side of the console turns it on when I want. Camera I bought had 6 different views. I have it adjusted so that when the curb or parking stop is at the bottom edge of the monitor I stop and have about a foot of space.

Not too shabby. If you want, I can find out what module my installer was planning to use to get the cameras to talk to the infotainment console, and post back here. Or if you want to call Earmark, they are local to Dallas and the same guys who did Kumizi's awesome sub enclosure, just ask for Chris, he's the guy that's been helping me.

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7692765)
Isn’t It a lot cheaper to just back the damn car into a parking space? The rear camera has really good fidelity, and the superimposed lines make it super easy to park.

Bish

I back in everywhere, my only issue is seeing things on the driver side. Unless I manually adjust the driver mirror every time, I have no way of seeing how close my wheels are to the curb. If I find a space with a curb on the passenger side, it's not an issue with the auto adjusting mirror feature. I just deal with a lot of tight spaces daily driving the GTS, and a 360 camera would have made it infinitely easier to manage.
​​​​​​​
First world problems, I know.

N-4Speed 02-28-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Orcbolg (Post 7692840)
I back in everywhere, my only issue is seeing things on the driver side. Unless I manually adjust the driver mirror every time, I have no way of seeing how close my wheels are to the curb. If I find a space with a curb on the passenger side, it's not an issue with the auto adjusting mirror feature. I just deal with a lot of tight spaces daily driving the GTS, and a 360 camera would have made it infinitely easier to manage...

I couldn't agree more. I had 360 camera on my DB11 and loved it. Parking was so easy! What is funny is that the infotainment in Aston is sourced from MB. I don't understand why MB doesn't offer that as an option. Even the 2020 models don't have the 360 view, only front cam.

Originally Posted by Tirgoman (Post 7692827)
I installed a camera in front to avoid tearing up the lower front spoiler. So far can't find a module to connect to the 2019 MB electronics so I put a small monitor on the dash. Not bad solution. ....

I found couple of WIFI cameras on Amazon that use iPhone/Android to display the video. It only needs to be hooked up to a 12V source. I may give one of them a try.

Tirgoman 02-28-2019 11:13 AM

Camera is Echo Master CAM-MV6 NTSC, think it was $80 something on Amazon. Monitor was around $70 ( QualityMobileVideo.com - Safesight SC3102 3.5" back up monitor)- and I used 2 piece Command strips so when I remove it I don't damage the dash top.The camera comes so you can install it on the front or rear and the view is correct and then has a small switch that lets you select from 6 different viewing angles.
Would love to have it work with the vehicle screen but in the meantime this has proven to be well worth it.
I do the backing in thing when convenient but have a history with really low front end facias and spoilers on previous AMGs and Porsches and getting one repaired is expensive besides being painful when you accidentally hit a high curb or worse one of the concrete curb stops that are not only high but have the steel rods sticking out the top.

AMG 17GT 02-28-2019 01:14 PM

My front parking sensors work great on curbs.

N-4Speed 02-28-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7693333)
My front parking sensors work great on curbs.

You are lucky, on mine it is not consistent and depends on the type of curb, so I don't trust it. I had the same issue with my 2016 GTS.

mvb3 02-28-2019 02:10 PM

Is there a way to activate at will the parking sensor display on the screen? It comes up when you backup, but as soon as I drive forward it's gone and I kinda like the visual aspect of it with the car and the 4 corners showing. Sometimes I find myself in some really narrow garages and it would be helpful...

Orcbolg 02-28-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by N-4Speed (Post 7693208)
I found couple of WIFI cameras on Amazon that use iPhone/Android to display the video. It only needs to be hooked up to a 12V source. I may give one of them a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I8B3FRVX&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PI8NA6XE&psc=1

Ooo, I hadn't considered this as an option. I'm about to setup my Proclip/Magnetic mount for the phone, so this could be an option, depending on camera install look. If you end up doing this, please keep us updated. :cheers:

boltonblue 03-02-2019 09:47 AM

I really would love the "overhead" view my '15 S63 has on my GTS.
But the S63 has the second big display.

nhoj_yelbom 03-11-2019 05:21 PM

im about to install one of these
https://naviks.com/i-24075606-2015-2...tegory:1136682