Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT* - Sweet Lies

Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Vic; are you reading this crap? Please shut that ******* down for all our sakes.

Bish
Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
I don't know what is more funny, the OP's comments or the fact that people are mad but keep fueling the fire by commenting.
I will agree with one thing, the AMG brand is getting to be too much. It was done properly when there was 2 different lower models of each size car then there was the badass AMG model at the top, now each model has one regular car with at least two AMG models also. Strange direction MB/AMG are going, seems like they are doing the opposite of the past and the lower models without the AMG badge will be more desirable(not really desirable but less often seen). AMG will mean nothing soon and will just be the norm.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 03-17-2018 at 04:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RobbieRob:
amgfan1 (03-17-2018), emericr (03-19-2018), qmciver (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
I hope it stays open. I like to see people show their A S S.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Edition-507
I know you are both an AMG and PORSCHE owner. Thank you for keeping an open mind and understand the essence of the post.

I am not here to flame the brand. Actually I am here to PRESERVE the prestige and exclusivity of the AMG brand which is obviously become very "Pedestrian" as of late.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I don't know what is more funny, the OP's comments or the fact that people are mad but keep fueling the fire by commenting.
I will agree with one thing, the AMG brand is getting to be too much. It was done properly when there was 2 different lower models of each size car then there was the badass AMG model at the top, now each model has one regular car with at least two AMG models also. Strange direction MB/AMG are going, seems like they are doing the opposite of the past and the lower models without the AMG badge will be more desirable(not really desirable but less often seen). AMG will mean nothing soon and will just be the norm.

Last edited by amgfan1; 03-17-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 PM

C63 Edition-507
Yuuuupppppp....... Bought my C63 Edition-507 as I was late to the party on the C63 Black Series (a sure fire collectible).

Also when I bought my Edition-507, there were NO *43 and now the new *53, and whatever **3 AMG comes up with. As JRCART (if you even know him as a former AMG fanboy), he suggested to AMG management to round up the model and pay RESPECT and create the *23 (as that will sell more due to Micheal Jordan number).

There you have it Rocky.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by RuckIt
bbbbbut you bought a C63?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 PM

C63 Edition-507
For once I agree with you Dick.

I don't know why some of these folks have to rain on someone's parade.

Deal with the message of the article folks, not the messenger.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I hope it stays open. I like to see people show their A S S.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:02 PM

C63 Edition-507
Yes *****, I would like to remain young, forever!

Not my fault if my Dad is rich.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Wasn't amgfan1 just a kid who talks about his dad's cars? No real adult posts like that.

Last edited by amgfan1; 03-17-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
I still don’t understand the message from the “messenger”? Is it that AMG shouldn’t produce the *43 and the *53? Because it somehow takes away from the *63?

Maybe there shouldn’t be anything below an E63 for AMG instead of diluting it with the C series.

Where do do you draw the line? Because the market clearly disagrees with you.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by amgfan1
I'm glad you are happy with your "Shooting Brake." Enjoy your AMG.

I am not a troll but merely looking after these tools who own these high end GT* cars only to be tooled by AMG management by pulling the wool over their eyes. These guys instead of writing to AMG management willfully hand over their money and let AMG management use and abuse them.

Really? You wouldn't buy another PORSCHE "Sports Car" again? Or is that because the high desirability factor of all PORSCHE GT car eliminates you from acquiring one? Well, I can't blame you dude. These PORSCHE GT cars are all demanding Adjusted Dealer Markup (ADM) both in new and secondary market.

This is unprecedented for any car manufacturer. The reliability and dependability on the track, not to mention holding the record as "King of Nurburgring" elevates PORSCHE as the "Best Desirable GT Car" out there. Pay the ADM and get yourself a real "Sports Car" that'll kick the competition by the curb.

"PORSCHE, there is no substitute."

Drive safe,
amgfan1
Again funny thread from this kid.

Seriously what idiot would buy a daily driver because of some lap times driven by a pro...only an idiot.

If anyone buys a high end car and is concerned about the depreciation after a few years, he is really not living within his means.
These are cars designed to be driven not collected and I'm sure there is not one Porsche buyer/owner that can match the best Ring times posted by a pro.
Only a fool would call a wagon a shooting brake much like Porsche calling their whale a shooting brake because it has a slightly different shaped rear roof line and hatch with less than a cubic foot of additional room inside.
If I wanted a slower real world car I would have kept my Turbo S but it was just too damn boring.

Porsche there is no substitute for boring..Tell your dad.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:38 PM

C63 Edition-507
The message on the article, is there really a DIFFERENCE between the AMG CLS and the AMG GT4. If you look closely hardly any DIFFERENCE than badging. It is the same player, just like in basketball, do they wear the light or dark uniform.

Same difference, correct?

Drive safe,
amgfan1

I still don’t understand the message from the “messenger”? Is it that AMG shouldn’t produce the *43 and the *53? Because it somehow takes away from the *63?

Maybe there shouldn’t be anything below an E63 for AMG instead of diluting it with the C series.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:00 PM

C63 Edition-507
Hello Grandpa, hope all is well with you.

Did you miss out on your meds last night?

On a serious note, I buy PORSCHE for what it represents, which are Reliability and Dependability. How many PORSCHES do you see at the track. It is so domineering they populate the track. Dependability, again at the track how many AMG STOCK go into "Limp Mode" and overheat after some serious laps at the track? With PORSCHE right out of the box, it is so good to go.

Here you say you had a Turbo S. Try and do this to your E62 Wagon and see for yourself how durable your highly coveted AMG wagon is against this very durable and reliable Turbo S. This video is an old one so I would expect for the newer Turbo S do more than fifty Launch control without degradation in performance.

LINK:

With regard to high end PORSCHE GT cars, I am an amateur and not a professional driver. I will never see nor use 10/10ths of the capability of either my GT3RS or GT2RS. They are the "Benchmark" cars at the track. Research and you will see for you to believe that PORSCHE GT cars are for all intensive purposes bullet proof.

By the way, if you really know your AMG, the term "Shooting Brake" originated from the AMG engineers. So please brush up on your AMG history.

Who do you know drive two cars at the same time? I am no Superman and can drive one car at a time. When you have multiple cars like I do, call me an idiot as I really have a hard time which one to take out for a spin. Plus I am a PORSCHE collector. If you ever come close to the strata of a collector level, there are certain cars you preserve for varying reasons. You wouldn't know that. You have ways more to go.

When I get old, I'll try be like you and buy a wagon so on Sundays, I can go grocery shopping. Have a great weekend Grandpa.

Well it is Saturday, night is fast approaching, roads are pretty dry, let me go to my warehouse and think about which 911 I will take out for a spin and hang out with the DA BIG BOYZ TOYZ.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by ronin amg
Again funny thread from this kid.

Seriously what idiot would buy a daily driver because of some lap times driven by a pro...only an idiot.

If anyone buys a high end car and is concerned about the depreciation after a few years, he is really not living within his means.
These are cars designed to be driven not collected and I'm sure there is not one Porsche buyer/owner that can match the best Ring times posted by a pro.
Only a fool would call a wagon a shooting brake much like Porsche calling their whale a shooting brake because it has a slightly different shaped rear roof line and hatch with less than a cubic foot of additional room inside.
If I wanted a slower real world car I would have kept my Turbo S but it was just too damn boring.

Porsche there is no substitute for boring..Tell your dad.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
Still didn’t answer my questions...

And as a multiple Turbo S owner who has seen more than my fair share of limp home modes, I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to dependability.

ronin amg (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe

Last edited by ronin amg; 03-18-2018 at 01:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ronin amg:
fastmd (03-18-2018), JSwan724 (03-18-2018), TriggrPullrUSMC (10-12-2021)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:04 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
991 GT3, W212 E63-S 4Matic, W205 C300 Sport 4Matic
I’ve been a AMG fan since I was a young kid. I must agree with the original poster on 1 or 2 of his view points, even though I fully understand exactly why Daimler is doing what it’s doing with the AMG brand today.

1. AMG use to have a slogan (“One Man, One Engine”) which gravitated around all their products and made their brand quite unique. This slogan is barely seen any more because so many AMG vehicles are using engines straight off the regular Mercedes assembly line.

2. Not all AMG’s motors need to be V8’s or V12’s in order to be a legitimate AMG engine, they just need to be hand built and heavily modified (forged piston, camshaft etc.) and tuned imo.

3. The 4 door GT isn’t based upon the same architecture as the GT coupé that shares the same name, but this doesn’t bother me. This new GT4 will still be awesome and fast as hell, if not the fastest car with 4 doors money can buy (pending they launch the hybrid 73 model).

4. The AMG brand is gobally recognizable and AMG is cashing in on that brand recognition by selling as many cars as they can that are fast and fun to drive but not quite a AMG in the traditional since.

5. Not a fan of the front wheel drive bias A45, CLA 45 and GLA 45. Yes they are fast, fun to drive and somewhat affordable. Daimler could’ve still produced a nice fast subcompact sedan with rear drive or rear bias all wheel drive.

In a a way he’s right, the brand has become more diluted over the past few years, but so has BMW M and so many other sporty brands. This money making method isn’t unique to AMG.
The following 2 users liked this post by qmciver:
amgfan1 (03-18-2018), emericr (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:32 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
Mercedes AMG is becoming more and more independent of Mercedes Benz. The first dedicated AMG showroom in the USA just opened. You call it “dillution” but what it is is separation and expansion. AMG can’t grow as an independent division by offering just 2 or 3 high end models.
amgfan1 (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 AM

C63 Edition-507
First the dilution of the AMG brand. AMG had to create *43, then the newer *53. Same concept as creating different classes, C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, AMG-etc.,

The original AMG I knew back then was "One man, One Engine (One man/woman, One Engine)." Then there is a mix between that concept and with a series of cars mildly tuned and "slapped the AMG badge" all over the place, which is NOT the original concept of AMG, but cool since Mercedes Benz have to generate sales=profit. Now that is done and now past.

Today they created GT4. How different is this to the AMG CLS? Okay minor difference would you say? Also where have you seen a "Four-Door" GT car?

To make money is one thing. To sell the soul is another.

Got the message Ricky?

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Still didn’t answer my questions...
And as a multiple Turbo S owner who has seen more than my fair share of limp home modes, I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to dependability.

Last edited by amgfan1; 03-18-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:59 AM

C63 Edition-507
Ronnie, here you say you had a Turbo S. Try and do this to your E62 Wagon and see for yourself how durable your highly coveted AMG wagon is against this very durable and reliable Turbo S. This video is an old one so I would expect for the newer Turbo S do more than fifty Launch control without degradation in performance.

When you are done performing launch control with your E63 wagon at least ten times, let me know how your E63 turned into a "slinkie."

Drive safe,
amgfan1

LINK:

Last edited by amgfan1; 03-18-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM

C63 Edition-507
All valid points and thank you for your perspective.

My salient points being:
1.) PORSCHE created a "Four-Door" sedan, the PANAMERA. They did not make a 911 "Four-Door."
2.) FERRARI is a well known and respected brand. They haven't created a "Four-Door" sedan.

It is okay to make money. Just do not dilute the brand, or outright sell its soul.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by qmciver
I’ve been a AMG fan since I was a young kid. I must agree with the original poster on 1 or 2 of his view points, even though I fully understand exactly why Daimler is doing what it’s doing with the AMG brand today.

1. AMG use to have a slogan (“One Man, One Engine”) which gravitated around all their products and made their brand quite unique. This slogan is barely seen any more because so many AMG vehicles are using engines straight off the regular Mercedes assembly line.

2. Not all AMG’s motors need to be V8’s or V12’s in order to be a legitimate AMG engine, they just need to be hand built and heavily modified (forged piston, camshaft etc.) and tuned imo.

3. The 4 door GT isn’t based upon the same architecture as the GT coupé that shares the same name, but this doesn’t bother me. This new GT4 will still be awesome and fast as hell, if not the fastest car with 4 doors money can buy (pending they launch the hybrid 73 model).

4. The AMG brand is gobally recognizable and AMG is cashing in on that brand recognition by selling as many cars as they can that are fast and fun to drive but not quite a AMG in the traditional since.

5. Not a fan of the front wheel drive bias A45, CLA 45 and GLA 45. Yes they are fast, fun to drive and somewhat affordable. Daimler could’ve still produced a nice fast subcompact sedan with rear drive or rear bias all wheel drive.

In a a way he’s right, the brand has become more diluted over the past few years, but so has BMW M and so many other sporty brands. This money making method isn’t unique to AMG.
I agree with you and thank you for your perspective.

There's got to be other ways how to make money and not agitate your hard core buyers.

Originally Posted by Fame Douglas
Mercedes AMG is becoming more and more independent of Mercedes Benz. The first dedicated AMG showroom in the USA just opened. You call it “dillution” but what it is is separation and expansion. AMG can’t grow as an independent division by offering just 2 or 3 high end models.

Last edited by amgfan1; 03-18-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fame Douglas

That’s awesome that Mercedes has decided to allow independent AMG dealers to exsist in select markets like Dubai, LA, London, Vancouver etc. I don’t mind if AMG builds models based upon all the models Mercedes makes (except the front wheel drive CLA, GLA and A45). My issue with those cars aren’t even the i4 turbo engines(which just happen to hand built). It’s the front wheel drive bias all wheel drive system, And the cars interiors are often criticized as being too cheap feeling for $73k.

It’s wishful thinking upon myself, but AMG needs to return to what put them on the map. We have cars showing up to car shows which are in all honesty “tuned by AMG” and cars that are legitimate AMG vehicles and many bystanders think we have the same car. Some of these newer models have no major overhauls to the original design by Mercedes. Mercedes knows that there are a handful of misinformed consumers out here that have a little bit of money and want to look cool like the Champ Lewis Hamilton. Some of these guys and women don’t even realize the heritage AMG has embedded in Affalterbach, Germany the founding fathers must be rolling in there graves right now seeing what’s going on with their old company.

It’s a lost cause, AMG isn’t going to stop the madness (in my Mr. Wonderful voice). Because profits are soaring astronomically, AMG will continue on this successful path, this new path with not as much connection to what originally attracted me to AMG. It’s really unfortunate, because I believe they can still be highly profitable while producing stellar vehicles that are uniquely modified with hand assembled engines. People will pay a large premium for that uniqueness.
amgfan1 (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
To me, for simplicity sake. If the engine isn't hand built in Affalterbach. Then it's not a real/true AMG. It's a regular production car, with a production engine off the assembly line. Next, they toss in some cool upgrades and slap a ****load of AMG badges on it and call it an AMG. In all actuality, they are watering down the brand for profit right now. By mass producing AMG's and making them more affordable. It is a viable market for them to tap into and a good move. They are capitalizing on that brand recognition right now and 4 back to back F1 championships. I don't necessarily agree with it however from a hardcore buyer/fan perspective.
The following 2 users liked this post by benzbell:
amgfan1 (03-18-2018), qmciver (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:45 AM

C63 Edition-507
Thank you for your input. Well stated.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by qmciver
That’s awesome that Mercedes has decided to allow independent AMG dealers to exsist in select markets like Dubai, LA, London, Vancouver etc. I don’t mind if AMG builds models based upon all the models Mercedes makes (except the front wheel drive CLA, GLA and A45). My issue with those cars aren’t even the i4 turbo engines(which just happen to hand built). It’s the front wheel drive bias all wheel drive system, And the cars interiors are often criticized as being too cheap feeling for $73k.

It’s wishful thinking upon myself, but AMG needs to return to what put them on the map. We have cars showing up to car shows which are in all honesty “tuned by AMG” and cars that are legitimate AMG vehicles and many bystanders think we have the same car. Some of these newer models have no major overhauls to the original design by Mercedes. Mercedes knows that there are a handful of misinformed consumers out here that have a little bit of money and want to look cool like the Champ Lewis Hamilton. Some of these guys and women don’t even realize the heritage AMG has embedded in Affalterbach, Germany the founding fathers must be rolling in there graves right now seeing what’s going on with their old company.

It’s a lost cause, AMG isn’t going to stop the madness (in my Mr. Wonderful voice). Because profits are soaring astronomically, AMG will continue on this successful path, this new path with not as much connection to what originally attracted me to AMG. It’s really unfortunate, because I believe they can still be highly profitable while producing stellar vehicles that are uniquely modified with hand assembled engines. People will pay a large premium for that uniqueness.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:46 AM

C63 Edition-507
I appreciate your sentiments and insights. Thank you.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by benzbell
To me, for simplicity sake. If the engine isn't hand built in Affalterbach. Then it's not a real/true AMG. It's a regular production car, with a production engine off the assembly line. Next, they toss in some cool upgrades and slap a ****load of AMG badges on it and call it an AMG. In all actuality, they are watering down the brand for profit right now. By mass producing AMG's and making them more affordable. It is a viable market for them to tap into and a good move. They are capitalizing on that brand recognition right now and 4 back to back F1 championships. I don't necessarily agree with it however from a hardcore buyer/fan perspective.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
This is a funny thread. I traded in my 991 GT3 for a Turbo S and then traded it in for a AMG e63s wagon because the wagon if faster and handles as good if not better in the canyons.
My sports car is a 2016 AMG GTS fully loaded and I would not even consider another Porsche as a sports car again.

Hey, trolls gotta eat too..
Your wagon is faster than a turbo s lol. I have a 17 turbo s cab and will meet you anytime anywhere for a race. Let’s put our titles on the line to make it fun. After I take your car from you, I’ll sell it back at its current value, which will be much less than you paid for it. That way it won’t hurt so bad and you can get your canyon carver back.

With that said, AMG has be going down hill for the last several years. Quality and quality control is terrible. Getting parts to fix these cars can take months. There’s little to no communication with its customers.

They take the GT sports car built entirely by AMG and take a crap on this car by adding a four door sedan to the mix and also making a 53 model of this sedan. They kill off the cls63 for the cls53. Another four door sedan. They have the E43/63 another four door sedan. They have a C43/63 another four door sedan. S63 another four door sedan. Why crap on the GT, which is the only car that was something special.

The following 3 users liked this post by Td33:
amgfan1 (03-18-2018), MalibuScott (03-18-2018), qmciver (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:10 PM

The thread starter is not saying that the 43 and 53 models shouldn’t exsist. I can’t read his mind, but I have a hunch he’s talking about the fact that the 450 AMG, 43 models and 53 models are all using regular production Mercedes-Benz engines with the turbochargers cranked up a few extra psi. “If it ain’t hand made, it ain’t a AMG.” It’s just a normal Mercedes-Benz with a few AMG badges, a big brake kit and lowering springs. If Mercedes wants to make make different tiers of AMG models I’m okay with that. Management just needs to follow the original protocol established by the AMG founding fathers for anything wearing the AMG badge.

Regarding your statement about the C class, not being warranted as a proper AMG and you insinuating that management stop making the C63 models going forward. I’m going to give you a pass, your obviously totally misinformed on the history timeline of how Mercedes AMG came about and which series model started the official collaboration between Daimler-Benz and AMG. In 1993 Mercedes and AMG worked out a deal to build the first ever Mercedes-Benz modified by AMG, sold through a Mercedes dealer and to come with a full factory warranty. This vehicle is known by many as the W202 series aka Mercedes C-class. The collaboration created 5200 C-classes with hand built 275hp AMG inline 6 motors. All the cars also received modified suspension, brakes and heavy duty AMG engineered transmissions. Without this successful unprecedented collaborative deal between the two companies you wouldn’t have the luxury of walking in a dealer and ordering a E63 AMG today. The “C” AMG is the original poster child of the AMG brand “Period”.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Td33

Your wagon is faster than a turbo s lol. I have a 17 turbo s cab and will meet you anytime anywhere for a race. Let’s put our titles on the line to make it fun. After I take your car from you, I’ll sell it back at its current value, which will be much less than you paid for it. That way it won’t hurt so bad and you can get your canyon carver back.

With that said, AMG has be going down hill for the last several years. Quality and quality control is terrible. Getting parts to fix these cars can take months. There’s little to no communication with its customers.

They take the GT sports car built entirely by AMG and take a crap on this car by adding a four door sedan to the mix and also making a 53 model of this sedan. They kill off the cls63 for the cls53. Another four door sedan. They have the E43/63 another four door sedan. They have a C43/63 another four door sedan. S63 another four door sedan. Why crap on the GT, which is the only car that was something special.

I grant this misinformed gentleman the luxury of calling his brand new E63-S estate fast. But there are few cars in the world that can hang with a 991.2 Turbo S in straight-line. I think I’ve seen stock E63 estates posting 0-60 times of right around 3.0 seconds flat, and that’s very fast by any ones definition especially for a car weighing in at 4700 lbs. but the 991.2 T-S is a whole different ball game of fast. The only cars that can smoke a new 911 Turbo S is the 918, P1, La Ferrari, McLaren 720 S and maybe 1 or 2 other stock cars. Your E63-S car would have to be making hp in the 1000’s and be running a 10.5 1/4th mile to competitive. Sorry Bud nice car, But I would totally rock a E63-S Estate as a daily driver for the kids and grocery hauler.
amgfan1 (03-18-2018)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GT* - Sweet Lies