Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GT* - Sweet Lies

Old 03-18-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
Originally Posted by qmciver

The thread starter is not saying that the 43 and 53 models shouldn’t exsist. I can’t read his mind, but I have a hunch he’s talking about the fact that the 450 AMG, 43 models and 53 models are all using regular production Mercedes-Benz engines with the turbochargers cranked up a few extra psi. “If it ain’t hand made, it ain’t a AMG.” It’s just a normal Mercedes-Benz with a few AMG badges, a big brake kit and lowering springs. If Mercedes wants to make make different tiers of AMG models I’m okay with that. Management just needs to follow the original protocol established by the AMG founding fathers for anything wearing the AMG badge.

Regarding your statement about the C class, not being warranted as a proper AMG and you insinuating that management stop making the C63 models going forward. I’m going to give you a pass, your obviously totally misinformed on the history timeline of how Mercedes AMG came about and which series model started the official collaboration between Daimler-Benz and AMG. In 1993 Mercedes and AMG worked out a deal to build the first ever Mercedes-Benz modified by AMG, sold through a Mercedes dealer and to come with a full factory warranty. This vehicle is known by many as the W202 series aka Mercedes C-class. The collaboration created 5200 C-classes with hand built 275hp AMG inline 6 motors. All the cars also received modified suspension, brakes and heavy duty AMG engineered transmissions. Without this successful unprecedented collaborative deal between the two companies you wouldn’t have the luxury of walking in a dealer and ordering a E63 AMG today. The “C” AMG is the original poster child of the AMG brand “Period”.
Thanks for the history lesson, ohhh and the pass!!! Although I'm well aware of the history of AMG :-). My point was if he believes the *43 and the *53 cars shouldn't exist, then an alternative view is that the AMG line should start at the E series. It's as ridiculous a notion as his was. All you have to do is not buy the *43 or the *53. Heck, don't even by the normal *63 - buy only the Black Series! Who cares?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
I agree with OP on some points. I don't like what AMG is doing - diluting the brand with introducing multiple models. I can understand the financial aspect but it takes away the exclusivity of an AMG.
GT 4 door coupe is a glorified E/CLS class and not a true 4 door coupe built on the GT platform.
The following users liked this post:
amgfan1 (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Edition-507
Very well stated and articulated.

I've seen Turbo S under right conditions and temperatue where a Turbo S can do zero to sixty in 2.6 seconds!

We've gone through the hoopla back in 2014 about the advent of the C450, then the *43, then the *53, so forth and so on. We finally cannot win the battle to stop those and conceded Mercedes Benz need to produce more cars (at the expense of the AMG brand) in order to generate more sales and expand on research and development. End of story.

Now the SLS have long retired, enter the GT series, taking over the flagship from SLS.

We know how awesome the AMG CLS is. In fact I made a comment a long time ago if Al Capone is still alive, that's the type of sophisticated car Al Capone would most likely buy. I say that as a compliment how good looking and a kick butt car the AMG CLS is for a "Four-Door" coupe car. The article I quoted was indicating, what then is the difference between AMG CLS and the new AMG GT4? If it looks the same, performs identically the same, then that is none other than a shell game isn't it?

Really, AMG is creating a "Four-Door" GT car ?

The message I am passing along here is how low does the AMG brand, this time around the GT Series, instead of making the AMG brand more exclusive, AMG management have made the AMG brand prosaic, as they tag along many other models with the decal AMG.

I am here posting this thread not to flame the GT owners but here posting this thread so if there are any AMG management who can read here the sentiments of the original AMG buyers and owners that we want the preservation and exclusivity of the brand and not make too pedestrian.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by Td33

Your wagon is faster than a turbo s lol. I have a 17 turbo s cab and will meet you anytime anywhere for a race. Let’s put our titles on the line to make it fun. After I take your car from you, I’ll sell it back at its current value, which will be much less than you paid for it. That way it won’t hurt so bad and you can get your canyon carver back.

With that said, AMG has be going down hill for the last several years. Quality and quality control is terrible. Getting parts to fix these cars can take months. There’s little to no communication with its customers.

They take the GT sports car built entirely by AMG and take a crap on this car by adding a four door sedan to the mix and also making a 53 model of this sedan. They kill off the cls63 for the cls53. Another four door sedan. They have the E43/63 another four door sedan. They have a C43/63 another four door sedan. S63 another four door sedan. Why crap on the GT, which is the only car that was something special.

Last edited by amgfan1; 03-18-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 PM

C63 Edition-507
Whomever you are, I am impressed with your AMG knowledge and its history.

"AMG Comes to America

When the C-Class succeeded the 190 series in 1993, AMG unveiled the first vehicle jointly developed and born out of the agreement – the Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG, backed by a full Mercedes-Benz warranty and service organization. Initial demand for this 282-horsepower, six-cylinder screamer was limited by production to just under 1,000 cars over a three-year period.

In the U.S., the C36 AMG was followed in 1998 by the C43 AMG, the first V8-powered C-Class model. The 306-hp 4.3-liter V8 could rocket the C43 from 0-60 mph in just six seconds. Customers clamored for more AMG models, so Mercedes-Benz and AMG responded with the E55 AMG, a 349-hp powerhouse that blended super-car performance with four-door Mercedes comfort. Fueled by this customer interest, AMG developed an array of top performance Mercedes-Benz models from the growing palette of Mercedes-Benz vehicles. AMG’s brand success culminated during 1998 when DaimlerChrysler acquired a majority ownership in the company."

Here in Illinois, in the western suburbs of Westmont, was one of two AMG shops back in the 80s. That was my first look and taste of this small tuner back then, turned giant after the acquisition of Mercedes Benz.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by qmciver

The thread starter is not saying that the 43 and 53 models shouldn’t exsist. I can’t read his mind, but I have a hunch he’s talking about the fact that the 450 AMG, 43 models and 53 models are all using regular production Mercedes-Benz engines with the turbochargers cranked up a few extra psi. “If it ain’t hand made, it ain’t a AMG.” It’s just a normal Mercedes-Benz with a few AMG badges, a big brake kit and lowering springs. If Mercedes wants to make make different tiers of AMG models I’m okay with that. Management just needs to follow the original protocol established by the AMG founding fathers for anything wearing the AMG badge.

Regarding your statement about the C class, not being warranted as a proper AMG and you insinuating that management stop making the C63 models going forward. I’m going to give you a pass, your obviously totally misinformed on the history timeline of how Mercedes AMG came about and which series model started the official collaboration between Daimler-Benz and AMG. In 1993 Mercedes and AMG worked out a deal to build the first ever Mercedes-Benz modified by AMG, sold through a Mercedes dealer and to come with a full factory warranty. This vehicle is known by many as the W202 series aka Mercedes C-class. The collaboration created 5200 C-classes with hand built 275hp AMG inline 6 motors. All the cars also received modified suspension, brakes and heavy duty AMG engineered transmissions. Without this successful unprecedented collaborative deal between the two companies you wouldn’t have the luxury of walking in a dealer and ordering a E63 AMG today. The “C” AMG is the original poster child of the AMG brand “Period”.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 PM

C63 Edition-507
I am glad you got the message of the article and agree with some here on this thread that the AMG GT4 is a glorified E/CLS.

Drive safe,
amgfan1

Originally Posted by sam9187
I agree with OP on some points. I don't like what AMG is doing - diluting the brand with introducing multiple models. I can understand the financial aspect but it takes away the exclusivity of an AMG.
GT 4 door coupe is a glorified E/CLS class and not a true 4 door coupe built on the GT platform.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Talking

Your wagon is faster than a turbo s lol. I have a 17 turbo s cab and will meet you anytime anywhere for a race. Let’s put our titles on the line to make it fun. After I take your car from you, I’ll sell it back at its current value, which will be much less than you paid for it. That way it won’t hurt so bad and you can get your canyon carver back.
I gotta say when you're right you're, you bought a faster car and I bought a pig...

Your 2.6 sec 0-60 time is so much faster than my 2.7 sec 0-60, could it be the $100K+ cash savings I have in the rear slowing me down ?

As for Porsche holding their value my old 2015 Turbo S cost $204K and when I traded it in it had a value of only $110K with 23,000 mi.
So losing 50% in value in two years also tells me a Turbo S is also one of the fastest deprecating cars on the planet...

Ya know the old joke about Porcupines and Porsches still holds true, I'm so glad I got rid of my porker..
Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by ronin amg
I gotta say when you're right you're, you bought a faster car and I bought a pig...

Your 2.6 sec 0-60 time is so much faster than my 2.7 sec 0-60, could it be the $100K+ cash savings I have in the rear slowing me down ?

As for Porsche holding their value my old 2015 Turbo S cost $204K and when I traded it in it had a value of only $110K with 23,000 mi.
So losing 50% in value in two years also tells me a Turbo S is also one of the fastest deprecating cars on the planet...

Ya know the old joke about Porcupines and Porsches still holds true, I'm so glad I got rid of my porker..
No sir YOU said your car was faster not me. I just offered you a race. Your wagon does 2.7 so it would be a drivers race. I have a clean title should be easy money for you. Offer still stands.

23k miles in two years you must have loved driving this car. Certainly no one was forcing you to put so many miles on lol.

As as far as value my car was approximately 208k MSRP. I paid approximately 190k. Car is just turning two years old and I was offered 170k to trade in on a new Lambo. Told them to keep the lambo it was a step down in my opinion.

Glad your enjoying your wagon that’s all that really matters.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe

No sir YOU said your car was faster not me. I just offered you a race. Your wagon does 2.7 so it would be a drivers race. I have a clean title should be easy money for you. Offer still stands.

23k miles in two years you must have loved driving this car. Certainly no one was forcing you to put so many miles on lol.

As as far as value my car was approximately 208k MSRP. I paid approximately 190k. Car is just turning two years old and I was offered 170k to trade in on a new Lambo. Told them to keep the lambo it was a step down in my opinion.

Glad your enjoying your wagon that’s all that really matters.
My Turbo S was just a daily driver and I don't care about putting miles on my cars, after all they are just transportation to me.
Like I said you bought a faster car, you win but it must be a low optioned car at $190k..
It's funny that you were offered $170 trade in value on a new Lambo when your car is only worth $110k, this shows me that Lambos really take a hit.

If you cruise up the Crest when the roads are clean let me know and I get some video and photos of you and your much faster Porsche [0.1sec]
I may even bring my much slower AMG GTS but that limits me to photos only, there's just no room for the drone much like the Porsche..
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL350
I actually read this thread.

And now I feel dumber.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I appreciate the comments from Owner's and Enthusiast's on this thread - as overshadowed as they are by the CSI'rs (Childishly-Self-Indulgent) .... anyone is entitled to express their opinion on this forum - even those that stir the pot just to seek personal attention....

Buddy - I would normally recommend you seek companionship on the Porsche forums - oh - I almost forgot they wouldn't be as gracious there in putting up with your diatribe - at least you must admit this MB forum is more patient with your rants and drivel.

You must have pride in having no friends - keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (03-28-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:40 AM

C63 Edition-507
PORSCHE owns Nurburgring, Turbo or Naturally Aspirated.

"PORSCHE, there is no substitute."

LINK:

LINK:

Drive safe,
amgfan1