Sponsored by:

GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
GTC

I just put a deposit down today on an Edition 50 GTC with a diamond quilted silver interior and a designo cashmere white paint with red calipers (Canada). Haven’t seen it yet, but will go to see it on Monday.

A couple of questions for folks:

My wife and I have GLE 63S’s, one in iridium silver and one in designo white, both with night packages & we love them.

But we thought we’d get a “fun” car that can be driven to a nice dinner out or on a nice summer day and still perform at the track on the rare day there.

We tried the Audi R8, and it was too austere inside and it felt like being inside a cave with no option for a sunroof. The GTC with the option to put the top down seemed like a great idea. Are they comfortable enough to drive around town? Didn’t want a grandpa car (ie. S63s) yet....until we at least turn 50! But wanted something sporty yet comfortable that still makes one feel “connected” to the outside on a nice day.

Has as anybody driven around in - or owns a ragtop GTC? Would love your impressions.

Also, impressions on the designo cashmere white paint would be appreciated. My father-in-law went to look at it for me today, and he did not like the paint inside the dark corner of the dealership when he saw it. My wife also does not tend to like any sort of matte finishes on cars. But AMG isn’t in the habit of making bad colours and finishes, so I’m not sure what to think?

I am interested in folks’ opinions.

Interior diamond quilted spec edition silver

Designo cashmere white

Does it look better in metallic designo white?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 GT3, AMG GTR 2018, C63s 2017, Audi R8 2018, AMG GTS 2016, Maserati GTS 15, M6 GC 2015
If searching for a convertible ...then the GTC seems like a really good choice. As it is not your daily driver ...then the rag top is ok. As for the mate paint ...I had ordered my GTR in the matte grey ...and changed it to the metallic ...the mate finish , in my opinion, has a short lived appeal, car must be perfectly clean too....as far as car collectors ...mate does not seem will be appealing in the long run ....but I am not sure the choices of colors you have on the GTC 50 Édition. Not sure there is a non mate white ....
Given the highly limited choices of colors...the white is probably the best for a convertible (although I generally don’t like white sport cars)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Gorgeous looking car imho.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Can't go wrong with your choice. It looks great. As long as the road surface is good, it will be fine (drove 8 hours straight to Road Atlanta and my back did not complain). I assume it has the adaptive suspension and the lowest setting makes a difference.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 350d
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
I just put a deposit down today on an Edition 50 GTC with a diamond quilted silver interior and a designo cashmere white paint with red calipers (Canada). Haven’t seen it yet, but will go to see it on Monday.

A couple of questions for folks:

My wife and I have GLE 63S’s, one in iridium silver and one in designo white, both with night packages & we love them.

But we thought we’d get a “fun” car that can be driven to a nice dinner out or on a nice summer day and still perform at the track on the rare day there.

We tried the Audi R8, and it was too austere inside and it felt like being inside a cave with no option for a sunroof. The GTC with the option to put the top down seemed like a great idea. Are they comfortable enough to drive around town? Didn’t want a grandpa car (ie. S63s) yet....until we at least turn 50! But wanted something sporty yet comfortable that still makes one feel “connected” to the outside on a nice day.

Has as anybody driven around in - or owns a ragtop GTC? Would love your impressions.

Also, impressions on the designo cashmere white paint would be appreciated. My father-in-law went to look at it for me today, and he did not like the paint inside the dark corner of the dealership when he saw it. My wife also does not tend to like any sort of matte finishes on cars. But AMG isn’t in the habit of making bad colours and finishes, so I’m not sure what to think?

I am interested in folks’ opinions.

Interior diamond quilted spec edition silver

Designo cashmere white

Does it look better in metallic designo white?

I can't really comment on the convertible as I have not driven it, but I own an Edition 50 coupe and the ride is very comfortable in Comfort mode. I had a 5 hour drive to the US and back (with just a quick 20 minutes out of the car), and I was very comfortable throughout. That said, a 20 minutesdrive on the Gardiner expressway and DVP with the stiffest shock setting led to a bit of lumbar pain. If the roads are bad, switch to comfort and you will be fine. I do also remember reading some early convertible reviews of the GT / GT S and the drive is apparently not noticeably different from the coupes.

As for colour, mine is matte black and I love it, but have not had a chance to see the white in person. The interior is absolutely stunning in person and the finish quality is amazing.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I have one. Here is a review posted a few months back:

https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt-gt...ly-review.html

I love this car.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT C, Triumph Thruxton R
They had a matte white GT-C vert at MB Mississauga and I had a chance to take a close look at the paint. All class, beautiful colour combo. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
That interior looks like a nice place to be. I daily my GTS and it's very competent, one can program the individual setting to be in Race transmission with comfort suspension so the best of borth worlds.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by surfah
That interior looks like a nice place to be. I daily my GTS and it's very competent, one can program the individual setting to be in Race transmission with comfort suspension so the best of borth worlds.
I have the puny GT, but that's how I have programmed my individual setting -- S+, manual shift, loud pipes and comfort suspension.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:52 PM

Great minds think alike. I missed this capability from my 458 Spider where I could set Race transmission mode with Bumpy Rode suspension and really appreciate this feature in the GTS which enhances it's daily driveability.

Do not miss the rough standard suspension of the GT3 much.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
Gorgeous car , I like it except for the gray part of the seats.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:03 AM

GLE63S 2016
Just read on the AMG lounge that they are going to announce new changes to the GTC on June 6th. Thinking now that I should take my deposit back on the Edition 50 and just order the one I really want for the $200k cash: metallic white, silver fibre console, silver seats, night package, high end sound. Had a good look at the cashmere Magno paint.....and It just doesn’t strike me in the feels as much as a high gloss metallic (I’m a detail nut).

Does anybody know if the 2019 GTC is anticipated to have the new screen incorporated into the dash? I’m not crazy about the current “stuck on’’ look of the screen. Have that in both of our GLE63S’s.

I have noticed thst most 2019 models have the upgraded dash......and we secured two allocations of the GLE63S’s with the new dashes.....

Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
IMO smart move on that paint. It could end up looking muddy. The metallic will pop and be much easier to maintain if your a detail guy.

What if if the changes are not to your liking?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 AM

GLE63S 2016
Thanks! My wife and I went to the dealership today to look at the car again. We decided to pull the trigger on picking up a new GTC roadster in Diamond white with black wheels silver leather interior, upgraded stereo and silver fibre on silver console.

But the dealer is offering incentive pricing on a floor model with basically the same configuration with silver wheels (he will powder coat them for me) and a carbon fibre console (looks good still) with black leather (I can live with) but the "Regular" Burmester stereo. He said that very few people really bother with the upgrade because the stock sound is actually excellent, and that you never recoup the investment in the upgraded stereo because the regular one sounds quite excellent. Not sure if I believe him.

In your opinion(s) - is the Burmester upgraded stereo in the GTC Roadster a huge part of the experience? Does is make all the much of a difference? My stock "regular" HK system in my GLE63s sounds better than any system I've ever heard in a car. I'd appreciate peoples' opinions.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
Thanks! My wife and I went to the dealership today to look at the car again. We decided to pull the trigger on picking up a new GTC roadster in Diamond white with black wheels silver leather interior, upgraded stereo and silver fibre on silver console.

But the dealer is offering incentive pricing on a floor model with basically the same configuration with silver wheels (he will powder coat them for me) and a carbon fibre console (looks good still) with black leather (I can live with) but the "Regular" Burmester stereo. He said that very few people really bother with the upgrade because the stock sound is actually excellent, and that you never recoup the investment in the upgraded stereo because the regular one sounds quite excellent. Not sure if I believe him.

In your opinion(s) - is the Burmester upgraded stereo in the GTC Roadster a huge part of the experience? Does is make all the much of a difference? My stock "regular" HK system in my GLE63s sounds better than any system I've ever heard in a car. I'd appreciate peoples' opinions.
love the des diamond white. I missed out on that color.

Here is my take on the sound based on my high end unit in the GTR and the upgrade burm in my C63. The GT platform is laud especially in the cab version, and the small cabin does not create a hi fi environment. There is small improvements with the high end system and the sound is crisper than the C63’s unit (when the engine is off!) IMO it is very subjective if it’s worth the extra $. The high end system comes with some sound processing features unique to it as well. I ordered the upgrade for the Gtr so I wouldn’t regret not having it. I didn’t have the opportunity to compare, but I am happy with it and don’t think of it as a waste of money. The high end in my car has 11 speaker and 1000watt rating. The basic berm is rated less and has one fewer speaker in the coupes.

If you are getting a sweet deal on the floor car then the stereo option should not be a decision factor. You’d be proud of saving yourself $$$ and not be bothered with the ‘lesser’ sound. I disagree with the dealer’s statement: most people do not upgrade to the high end. I think those are just words of encouragement.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 AM

Agreed wouldn’t let the stereo be a deal-breaker for a good deal on in stock model.