Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard track use upgrades

Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by BenzGTR
Yeah they can, but the car would be programmed for those heights. I think you are fine because both front and rear both dropped similar heights (23mm front and 28mm rear) Problems are more likely to happen when you increase/decrease one and not the other.
285-30-19 653mm
335-25-20 676mm

275-35-19 676mm
325-30-20 704mm
I'll be the first to admit that I could well be wrong, but there is no way that MB changes anything programming wise between cars delivered with the OEM SC2s or the Sport Cup ZP tyres.

Bish
Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by thebishman
I'll be the first to admit that I could well be wrong, but there is no way that MB changes anything programming wise between cars delivered with the OEM SC2s or the Sport Cup ZP tyres.

Bish
They would have to, for many reasons most important being legal/safety issues as the speedometer/odometer would be way off. 1" diameter (the ZP's are 4% shorter in circumference is a LOT. Every car that leaves a factory has the proper tire height programmed.
The 4% difference in circumference on these tires would be 3mph off on the speedo at 70. And the shorter diameter car would have 4% more miles on it then the taller diameter tire. On your shorter tires, your odometer would show 104,000 miles after driving 100,000. the shorter diameter car would also show 4% better gas mileage on the dash. RPM's, shift points, top speeds in each gear etc all change. Of course Mercedes would fix all that with a couple lines of code.
On another note, I figured out a way to run the Michelin slicks and not have to run skinny tires.
When I originally did the math it was for the ZP sizes, in the SC2's I can run much more appropriate widths, gonna run these sizes:
24-65-19
29-67-19
If I get my car in time and have the break in miles done I will be hitting the track Nov 17th-18th with Nasa.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
They would have to, for many reasons most important being legal/safety issues as the speedometer/odometer would be way off. 1" diameter (the ZP's are 4% shorter in circumference is a LOT. Every car that leaves a factory has the proper tire height programmed.
The 4% difference in circumference on these tires would be 3mph off on the speedo at 70. And the shorter diameter car would have 4% more miles on it then the taller diameter tire. On your shorter tires, your odometer would show 104,000 miles after driving 100,000. the shorter diameter car would also show 4% better gas mileage on the dash. RPM's, shift points, top speeds in each gear etc all change. Of course Mercedes would fix all that with a couple lines of code.
On another note, I figured out a way to run the Michelin slicks and not have to run skinny tires.
When I originally did the math it was for the ZP sizes, in the SC2's I can run much more appropriate widths, gonna run these sizes:
24-65-19
29-67-19
If I get my car in time and have the break in miles done I will be hitting the track Nov 17th-18th with Nasa.
Stop over thinking it. Every single magazine article done in the US with all the amazing track times with done with the ZP tires on the car. Then they didn't give them out to the US folks even though we ordered them with it. You can however just order the TPC Spec tires for the Z07 package corvette from Tire Rack. They are the best option for our car.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Clarke
Stop over thinking it. Every single magazine article done in the US with all the amazing track times with done with the ZP tires on the car. Then they didn't give them out to the US folks even though we ordered them with it. You can however just order the TPC Spec tires for the Z07 package corvette from Tire Rack. They are the best option for our car.
My post wasn't saying the ZP's arent a great option, my post was showing the differences in tire heights on a car. They are indeed the best street tire option for my car if you plan on tracking it, but by no means are the best track tire. They are the easiest way to go, but not the fastest. The fastest track tire would be Michelin S8L, then Michelin S9L, then Pirelli DH, then Hoosier A7, then R7's, but would have to run 19's all the way around for the slicks, Hoosier is now finally available in 20's for limited sizes. One benefit of the ZP's for the track besides being stickier obviously is your car will be .5" lower and theoretically accelerate quicker with a 4% steeper gear ratios.
1" rear tire height change seems to not sound like a lot to you, but for hardcore track guys the top speeds in each gear can be important, based on the track you are running.
Here are the top speeds in each gear for the standard tire and ZP's side by side
1st 46mph 44mph
2nd 72mph 69mph
3rd 96mph 93mph
4th 122mph 117mph
5th 153mph 147mph
6th 187mph 180mph

You will again think this is "overthinking" hehe, but I'm obsessed track stuff, it's a sickness
Pete De La Mare (06-24-2019)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
My post wasn't saying the ZP's arent a great option, my post was showing the differences in tire heights on a car. They are indeed the best street tire option for my car if you plan on tracking it, but by no means are the best track tire. They are the easiest way to go, but not the fastest. The fastest track tire would be Michelin S8L, then Michelin S9L, then Pirelli DH, then Hoosier A7, then R7's, but would have to run 19's all the way around for the slicks, Hoosier is now finally available in 20's for limited sizes. One benefit of the ZP's for the track besides being stickier obviously is your car will be .5" lower and theoretically accelerate quicker with a 4% steeper gear ratios.
1" rear tire height change seems to not sound like a lot to you, but for hardcore track guys the top speeds in each gear can be important, based on the track you are running.
Here are the top speeds in each gear for the standard tire and ZP's side by side
1st 46mph 44mph
2nd 72mph 69mph
3rd 96mph 93mph
4th 122mph 117mph
5th 153mph 147mph
6th 187mph 180mph

You will again think this is "overthinking" hehe, but I'm obsessed track stuff, it's a sickness
Come see me in Nov @ Summit and let's do some lead follow. The bearded GTR owner. I'll have a few cars out there for that event, crazy Subaru's.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Clarke
Come see me in Nov @ Summit and let's do some lead follow. The bearded GTR owner. I'll have a few cars out there for that event, crazy Subaru's.
Sounds like fun, but I'm in Arizona, the farthest I've made it is COTA. I'll be there next month again for the Nasa Nationals. Make sure and post some pics after the event!!!
Old 08-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
1st 46mph 44mph
2nd 72mph 69mph
3rd 96mph 93mph
4th 122mph 117mph
5th 153mph 147mph
6th 187mph 180mph

just curious, what's the mechanical top speed in 7th?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ML63 AMG

just curious, what's the mechanical top speed in 7th?
I didn't figure it out because I figured top speed would be drag limited in 7th. If you want to get theoretical top speed in 7th use this- http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php
Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes AMG GT S 2015 Porsche GT3
what pads would I use for street....track with the ccb on the GTS?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by janstuart
what pads would I use for street....track with the ccb on the GTS?
So I have a GT R, and I’m not 100% sure that the OEM pads are the same in the GT S; although I suspect so. That being said the OEM pads in the GT R are actually a very good compromise for both Street and Track usage, so IF the GT S uses the exact same pads it’s a good place to start. It’s vital though that when using the car on a road course that you monitor the pad wear diligently! If you want a better Track pad, there’s the Pagid RSC1.

Bish
Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
This! Without a doubt, Castrol SRF is by far the best brake fluid money can buy. I've tried them all on many different cars, it will never fade as long as you keep it fresh and you can go 2-3 times more track days before bleeding so the initial cost may seem high, but it saves you money in the long run.
fully agreed !!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 PM

Mercedes Evo II
Imo i strongly believe the best brake upgrade we can do is the Renntech one after talking to them extensively.

https://imageshack.com/a/img921/7585/54Yx7F.jpg not to mention it’s track proven around the Ring since they are located right next to it:-)

Tilke option also seems interesting !http://tikt.de/tuning/amg-gtr/bremsen
Old 02-09-2019, 07:43 AM

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
That Tikt front brake cooling duct looks very good. I sent them a message asking if it also fits the AMG GT-S with iron brakes.
Pete De La Mare (05-26-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 AM

Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by descartesfool
That Tikt front brake cooling duct looks very good. I sent them a message asking if it also fits the AMG GT-S with iron brakes.
please let us know when you get a response
Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Lifted G500, GT-S, track Cooper S
Just chiming in on the tires...it may be a simple setting swap in STAR--on the W463 in the transmission configurations in star you can choose between 3 different tire sizes, to include ones that equate to roughly 33" in diameter (much larger than stock 31s) to allow for the traction control, speedo, ABS, etc. to properly compensate. I wouldn't put it past something similar being available in the settings for the GTR, though it may take some digging to find it.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:27 AM

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
GTR
It fits all GT, GT-S, GT-C, GT-R cars with iron and ceramic brakes.

Brake duct AMG GT
The following 6 users liked this post by Draptec:
California John (02-26-2019), Case1906 (04-20-2019), descartesfool (02-26-2019), Pete De La Mare (05-26-2019), ronin amg (02-26-2019), thebishman (02-26-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Draptec
It fits all GT, GT-S, GT-C, GT-R cars with iron and ceramic brakes.
That looks awesome. If I would have known about that a year ago, I might still have my GTs.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Does anyone know the cost of these? And yes, I’m sitting down! lol

Bish
Old 02-26-2019, 10:32 AM

It's on their web site, 1490 euros. http://tikt.de/tuning/amg-gtr/bremsen

I have gotten a reply from Jonathan at TIKT and sent him the technical diagram of the Brembo steel rotor for the GT-S, but he never confirmed that their kit fits. Picture above shows it does. I asked him if he had any data about cooling effectiveness as well. I will ask him again.
thebishman (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:33 PM

GTR
It's on their web site, 1490 euros. http://tikt.de/tuning/amg-gtr/bremsen

I have gotten a reply from Jonathan at TIKT and sent him the technical diagram of the Brembo steel rotor for the GT-S, but he never confirmed that their kit fits. Picture above shows it does. I asked him if he had any data about cooling effectiveness as well. I will ask him again.
I can answer most of Your questions as I work in the partner company which did the development of these for Tikt... Also understand that it might be sometimes difficult to get an answer from German companies in general as it is hard for them to find employees who speak English. As for the effectiveness: It helps a lot. Measuring the temperatures of the rotors left/right with duct/stock heat shield You can clearly see the difference between the sides. They won't yet issue the exact figures in terms of percentage of improvement in comparison to the stock setup but they will with first nice weather when we put the car over the limits on the race track. We are currently working on the similar setup for the rear as well. I have seen another thread https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/73...-warranty.html where guys discuss the overheating problem so there I will try to explain my opinion on key problems based on research I did with the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draptec:
Pete De La Mare (05-26-2019), thebishman (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Draptec: Thanks for your information on this Tikt system. I, and I bet quite a few others would be very interested in buying both a front and rear system for my CCM equipped GT R. Perhaps a Group Buy might encourage Tikt to offer a deal also?

Bish
Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 PM

I can answer most of Your questions as I work in the partner company which did the development of these for Tikt... Also understand that it might be sometimes difficult to get an answer from German companies in general as it is hard for them to find employees who speak English. As for the effectiveness: It helps a lot. Measuring the temperatures of the rotors left/right with duct/stock heat shield You can clearly see the difference between the sides. They won't yet issue the exact figures in terms of percentage of improvement in comparison to the stock setup but they will with first nice weather when we put the car over the limits on the race track. We are currently working on the similar setup for the rear as well. I have seen another thread https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/73...-warranty.html where guys discuss the overheating problem so there I will try to explain my opinion on key problems based on research I did with the car.
It would seem like a great design improvement to have the lower section of the air inlet to be a removable and replaceable piece for the inevitable damage that would result from it striking a hard object. Once off the track, one could simply remove it for street driving and re-install it for the track, as obviously removing the entire assembly would be much too time consuming. Also the bottom piece could be made to break off without damaging the main piece should one hit an object, whether on or off the track. It would be a very costly assembly to replace if the entire piece needed changing, possibly involving long delays to get replacements.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:09 AM

GTR
@thebishman Yes, I'm sure they would offer some discount, but in my experience with shipping to US, You guys would save a lot more in shipping. For example sending a box with one kit would cost around 350€ and box with 10 kits would be around 500€

@descartesfool The inlet is actually almost in level with undertray (depending on the height of suspension setup) Also it moves with the wheel. We figured out that the obstacle which would damage the duct would cause so much damage on the car that the duct would be our least concern. We will see what happens in the next month or two of exploitation on cars of our customers who have the kit. We had no problems on the street in Our testing period.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
@thebishman Yes, I'm sure they would offer some discount, but in my experience with shipping to US, You guys would save a lot more in shipping. For example sending a box with one kit would cost around 350€ and box with 10 kits would be around 500€

@descartesfool The inlet is actually almost in level with undertray (depending on the height of suspension setup) Also it moves with the wheel. We figured out that the obstacle which would damage the duct would cause so much damage on the car that the duct would be our least concern. We will see what happens in the next month or two of exploitation on cars of our customers who have the kit. We had no problems on the street in Our testing period.

Are there any thoughts on making this out of plastic instead of expensive CF? Would be much cheaper to replace when damaged.

And I like Decartesfool’s suggestion of making it a two
piece unit. But, I’m ready to buy if we can get a four wheel kit made.

Bish
Old 02-27-2019, 06:01 PM

GTR
Originally Posted by thebishman

Are there any thoughts on making this out of plastic instead of expensive CF? Would be much cheaper to replace when damaged.

And I like Decartesfool’s suggestion of making it a two
piece unit. But, I’m ready to buy if we can get a four wheel kit made.

Bish
No, cheap injected materials are not a possibility due to the high temperatures these parts are exposed to. Actually we have to use very special resin matrix to make it possible even with cf. As I explained in the other thread, it is essential to feed the rotors with cold air and both separate the hot exhausted flow and to achieve that we had to make the duct which has very little distance from the rotor surface which would melt any thermoforming plastic... and we have some aerodynamic forces as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draptec:
California John (02-27-2019), thebishman (02-27-2019)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hard track use upgrades