Sponsored by:

GTS hard launch issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GTS hard launch issues

Hi Guys,

I been having some issues with my 2016 GTS when i am doing some hard launches of the line.
While in S+ or Race mode when i mash the gas pedal hard at a dead stop the car takes off and then a few seconds later it looses all power for about a second and then the power comes back on and continues just fine.
While the power is gone the traction light comes on as well flashing on the dashboard.
First i thought it was just a traction control issue but i tried it couple of more times but this time with the traction control completely turned OFF and same thing happened again.
If i try it in C or S mode the traction control light still comes on sometimes but everything works just fine, and i do not get the weird power loss.
Has anyone experienced anything similar , or do you have an idea of what is causing this?
I am assuming this is not normal.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
It is the traction control. The thing with Benz is that you can not completely turn off traction control. (Except in Dyno mode }. You have to learn to feather the throttle.

The reason it’s better in C mode is because you start off in 2nd gear. Also, try lowering tire pressure to 30 pounds cold.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 04-12-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTS , AMG C43
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
It is the traction control. The thing with Benz is that you can not completely turn off traction control. (Except in Dyno mode }. You have to learn to feather the throttle.

The reason it’s better in C mode is because you start off in 2nd gear. Also, try lowering tire pressure to 30 pounds cold.
In C mode we start out in 2nd gear? My 911TT used to do that, but didn't realize the GTS does it because I seldom use C mode. Interesting.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:34 PM

I spoke with service department of the dealership where i bought the car and he said to bring it in so they can check and see if there is any issues but he things its normal given that the car thinks it loosing control so it cuts the power. I was actually at the AMG driving academy this past monday and their cars did not seem to have that issue. Service guys told me that the AMG academy cars were less restricted or something like that.
From what i recall my car was doing this in the beginning when i bought it but i think it went away. I just put on brand new tires so i am not sure if maybe this has something to do with it. Whit the old tires which were almost bold the car would actually get sideways in S+ and Race mode but even at that point it did NOT cut the power out.
I also called another dealer to speak with them and the service guy told me that he has the same issue on his C63.
I am taking the car in next monday so hopefully this gets resolved other wise i guess i just need to feather the throttle as oppose to a mashing it 100%.
Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Angel 430
I spoke with service department of the dealership where i bought the car and he said to bring it in so they can check and see if there is any issues but he things its normal given that the car thinks it loosing control so it cuts the power. I was actually at the AMG driving academy this past monday and their cars did not seem to have that issue. Service guys told me that the AMG academy cars were less restricted or something like that.
From what i recall my car was doing this in the beginning when i bought it but i think it went away. I just put on brand new tires so i am not sure if maybe this has something to do with it. Whit the old tires which were almost bold the car would actually get sideways in S+ and Race mode but even at that point it did NOT cut the power out.
I also called another dealer to speak with them and the service guy told me that he has the same issue on his C63.
I am taking the car in next monday so hopefully this gets resolved other wise i guess i just need to feather the throttle as oppose to a mashing it 100%.
Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance.
Tires are crucial here. My PSS only have 7 k and plenty of tread for another 3-5 k, but they have heat cycled and they don’t hookup anymore. I’ll be changing to P4S 305/30 in a couple months for summer, which is a tire size up and these run 10mm more than equivalent than PSS. Really wish they had a 305/35 option.

ps. Just looked at tread width difference and it’s over 1 inch according to Michelin. That should really change traction dynamic.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 04-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Tires are crucial here. My PSS only have 7 k and plenty of tread for another 3-5 k, but they have heat cycled and they don’t hookup anymore. I’ll be changing to P4S 305/30 in a couple months for summer, which is a tire size up and these run 10mm more than equivalent than PSS. Really wish they had a 305/35 option.

ps. Just looked at tread width difference and it’s over 1 inch according to Michelin. That should really change traction dynamic.

I just switched to the new P4S however they are the 295.
I am going to lower the tire pressure a bit and see what happens.
I think right now they are at 37psi cold
Old 04-13-2018, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Angel 430
I just switched to the new P4S however they are the 295.
I am going to lower the tire pressure a bit and see what happens.
I think right now they are at 37psi cold
That surely is for sustained high speed conditions, such as the ‘Autobahn’. My recommended cold psi for ‘normal’ street driving is 31 psi at all four corners, and I actually use 28 psi. My car is a GTR though.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by thebishman

That surely is for sustained high speed conditions, such as the ‘Autobahn’. My recommended cold psi for ‘normal’ street driving is 31 psi at all four corners, and I actually use 28 psi. My car is a GTR though.
Seems about right to me. For my GTC vert I use the same pressures....actually those are approx. the ones suggested by AMG on the fuel door. If I were racing the car I'd lower that a few.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
The delay off the line is partially a traction problem, but it's more so Mercedes developed the car intentionally to prevent drivetrain components from failing. A hard launch puts a lot of stress on the transmission, clutches, differential, etc.; so they put a limit to how much torque is available on your launch in effort to prevent you from coming in to their service department to make a warranty claim.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (04-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTs
Isn't there also a component of the car learning your driving style? If a car has been driven hard, the learned response from the system will be faster vs a city-traffic driven car. I'm having mine checked at the dealership to see if the system can be reset. There was a post I read (cannot recall where) that gives an in-home means of resetting the system. I had a 6 series MSport that was very adaptive when I drove it hard it responded better.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Getting traction upgrade. 295 pilot SS Vs 305 P4S

thebishman (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I really wish the P4S came in the GTR OEM size as I’d make that my street tyre
Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Getting traction upgrade. 295 pilot SS Vs 305 P4S
Please report back and let us all know the difference!
Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 AM

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
I took my GTR to the drag strip tonight.
Similar problem no power off the line.
1. ESP Off, TC 2 red ticks. Off Idle start
2. ESP Off TC completely off, slight rev.
3. ESP Off, TC completely off, Floored Start
4. ESP On, RACE START

Initial lag was so bad, that I was cutting .500-.900 lights as my timing was way off from what I am used to.
Usually I cut .100 or better lights.
The best 60 foot I could muster was a 2.0. Not because there is a lot of wheel spin, but the car is launching so soft.
Race start was just a bunch of wheel hop.
Best run of the night was #2, 11.56 @ 129, good MPH. 129 should be just inside 10's.
Even with just the SC2 tires I was hoping to at least be cutting 1.8 60 foot times.

Oh well, not drag car.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by canucklehead
I took my GTR to the drag strip tonight.
Similar problem no power off the line.
1. ESP Off, TC 2 red ticks. Off Idle start
2. ESP Off TC completely off, slight rev.
3. ESP Off, TC completely off, Floored Start
4. ESP On, RACE START

Initial lag was so bad, that I was cutting .500-.900 lights as my timing was way off from what I am used to.
Usually I cut .100 or better lights.
The best 60 foot I could muster was a 2.0. Not because there is a lot of wheel spin, but the car is launching so soft.
Race start was just a bunch of wheel hop.
Best run of the night was #2, 11.56 @ 129, good MPH. 129 should be just inside 10's.
Even with just the SC2 tires I was hoping to at least be cutting 1.8 60 foot times.

Oh well, not drag car.
Did you think about just using LC in various other modes such as ‘C’ or ‘S”? I was just thinking that with the shocks set to a ‘softer’ mode you might not have had as much wheel hop?

And did you experiment with increasing/decreasing the rpm at launch by using the cruise control?

I don’t drag race so perhaps don’t know what the hell I’m talking about! lol

Bish
Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Problem with C mode is it starts in 2nd gear. Wonder if his tire pressure was lowered.

im getting the Dragy box next week and will see results.

So far in the limited driving that I’ve had I’ve ran three or four hard pulls and the car hooks up like nothing I’ve ever felt I bet I can get to the high tens.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 06-23-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Problem with C mode is it starts in 2nd gear. Wonder if his tire pressure was lowered.

So far in the limited driving that I’ve had I’ve ran three or four hard pulls and the car hooks up like nothing I’ve ever felt I bet I can get to the high tens.

Good point. So ‘S’ mode and shocks set to soft, and use regular old LC; varying the launch speed.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:07 AM

Winnebago, Yugo

Did you think about just using LC in various other modes such as ‘C’ or ‘S”? I was just thinking that with the shocks set to a ‘softer’ mode you might not have had as much wheel hop?

And did you experiment with increasing/decreasing the rpm at launch by using the cruise control?

I don’t drag race so perhaps don’t know what the hell I’m talking about! lol

Bish

I did have the shocks set to softest setting.
I didn't think about trying C or S mode. Good idea. Next time I will try.
I didn't try dropping the RPM, when I used LC there wasn't enough time given I brought the revs up on the first amber.
With a little practice this should be doable.
This was actually the first time I attempted any digs with the car. So steep learning curve, as I wasn't expecting the initial outcome.
I should have done some practice runs at my 'spot' where I test stuff and break in drag radials.

I suppose there was not a lot of wheel hop, but when trying to cut perfect 60 foot times I consider a few hops a wasted run. Others may think what I experienced as acceptable.
Tires were set at 36psi hot, I didn't air down since I just decided to go home, think about results and what I would try different. There was no sense beating on the car any more that night.
I want to get my times a bit better before I strap on the drag radials. If I can cut a 1.8 -1.9 60 foot I will then throw on the drag radials.

Last edited by canucklehead; 06-24-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63

In C mode my previous GTS and my current GTC A start in 1st gear. That is different than your GT.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by California John
In C mode my previous GTS and my current GTC A start in 1st gear. That is different than your GT.
Plus when the car is in LC mode, I’d imagine that even in ‘C’ it would fault to 1st gear. Easy to see; just switch to AMG mode on the dash. If it still tries to start in 2nd; switch to ‘M’ mode for the transmission.

Bish
Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Your right John it does start in first. My old CL63 started in 2nd.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS

Plus when the car is in LC mode, I’d imagine that even in ‘C’ it would fault to 1st gear. Easy to see; just switch to AMG mode on the dash. If it still tries to start in 2nd; switch to ‘M’ mode for the transmission.

Bish
LC doesn't work in 'C' mode, does it?

(I'm assuming that LC is for Launch Control, i.e. Race Start.)
Old 06-24-2018, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by sneezix
LC doesn't work in 'C' mode, does it?

(I'm assuming that LC is for Launch Control, i.e. Race Start.)
No it doesn't.
thebishman (06-24-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
OK so I thought I would report back on the new PS4S on the rear of my car. On my super sports the car would just spin constantly through first and then about a couple seconds in second and then would hook up. With the new tires it’s a game changer. Traction control off, Car has a couple of wheel hops and then just hooks immediately and there is no spin after hitting second gear. Car has been transformed traction wise.

Highly recommended.
thebishman (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Winnebago, Yugo
I went back to the track last night to try a few more launch techniques.
1. C, suspension Soft. TC Off. off idle start. 2.0 60 foot.
1. C, suspension Soft. TC Off. rev/footbrake. 2.1 60 foot.
The car does seem to like to be flashed vs footbraking.
So, I was not able to improve on 60 foot times, traction is not an issue. Torque management will just not allow the car to leave hard.
There is a hope with stickier tires Race Mode will have better results, I will try later in the year perhaps.
I've only tried RM once and a few issues were the track was a bit wet from poor weather, and it was hot and DA was about 4000.
I am thinking that I have not given RM a fair chance.

On a side note, I did trap 130.2 MPH on one run which is pretty impressive in a stock car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS hard launch issues