Sponsored by:

Pulled over again for no front plate in Texas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by rustybear3
I say take the fine or warning and call it a day. Unless points are involved, nothing is worth screwing up those beautiful front end looks with ugly plates.
True, but a hide away plate as shown in this thread is a viable option. It does not ruin the front of the car, you just pull up the plate from underneath when you need it, have it hidden when you don't.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
Bad News on Dealer Options w/Temp Plates

Just received this feedback from a very good dealer here in CA that shares our dislike of front plates:

“A dealership can not sign off anymore saying they are not installing the front plate. If there is no plate on the front of a car the dmv will come back to the dealership and make us prove we installed it. If the dealership does not have proof we get fined.”

Wow. So I would work with the dealer to use a temporary solution (e.g., tow hook, tie straps, velcro, whatever) for the temp plate, and when the permanent plates came in the mail in about 30 days, I would not install the front plate. The temp plates have a QRL code, so they can’t be transferred to another car, so apparently they’re just discarded.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
‘17 AMG GT, ‘18 E400 coupe
Maryland also had a couple of Bills to no longer require the front plate, for cost savings -- both didn't pass. :/

But I did take a chance on a tow hook option on Ebay, from "EOSBodyKit". As a purely temporary solution it's pretty sturdy, somewhat adjustable, inexpensive at $50, and does the job to pass the 'fix it' ticket.

Rich
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
Just received this feedback from a very good dealer here in CA that shares our dislike of front plates:

“A dealership can not sign off anymore saying they are not installing the front plate. If there is no plate on the front of a car the dmv will come back to the dealership and make us prove we installed it. If the dealership does not have proof we get fined.”

Wow. So I would work with the dealer to use a temporary solution (e.g., tow hook, tie straps, velcro, whatever) for the temp plate, and when the permanent plates came in the mail in about 30 days, I would not install the front plate. The temp plates have a QRL code, so they can’t be transferred to another car, so apparently they’re just discarded.
Lack of drilled holes for the front plate will be circumstantial evidence no front plate was installed.

And the temp plates are made out of paper, so they will require something behind them to be properly installed.

Bottom line in California: We're screwed.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 AM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
Register the vehicle out of state, like in AZ. They can't compel an out of state vehicle to be front plated.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by Subatomic Power
Register the vehicle out of state, like in AZ. They can't compel an out of state vehicle to be front plated.
That creates a separate set of legal problems which are more serious than not having a front plate.
The following users liked this post:
California John (02-21-2019)