MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   Pulled over again for no front plate in Texas (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/705250-pulled-over-again-no-front-plate-texas.html)

CAracer 04-21-2018 04:49 PM

Pulled over again for no front plate in Texas

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ed9140b871.jpg

For a front plate, I think it looks decent
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...af8069ddf3.jpg
I can't believe all the serious traffic violations that go un-ticketed here in Texas. To mention a few: tailgating, speeding, and unsafe lane changes. How the police can find the time to pull over someone for a front license plate not mounted is beyond me.

Anyway, I've gotten two warnings. The bracket that came with the car will not work. Dealer is baffled too. Police officer said "That they may need to fly in a German Engineer", to solve the puzzle. If the plate is mounted anywhere but in the center of the grill, flow to the intercoolers and radiator will be restricted.

I did find a way to get the ticket signed off without drilling holes. Using a bracket from a C-250 and some Velcro to the bracket and plastic grill will hold the bracket and license plate in place, problem solved. If you wanted to make it more permanent, a small hole could be drilled from the bottom into the bracket to secure permanently.. The small hole could be plugged with a black plastic rivet purchased at Home Depot if you decided to remove your plate at a later date.

Anyway, take a look at the pics.

Case1906 04-21-2018 08:44 PM

Wow, it's a shame that the po-po keep pulling you over. Is it a "points paying" moving violation in your state? Friendly suggestion, lose the chrome dealer plate holder and replace with a quality all-black one.

CAracer 04-21-2018 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Case1906 (Post 7436144)
Wow, it's a shame that the po-po keep pulling you over. Is it a "points paying" moving violation in your state? Friendly suggestion, lose the chrome dealer plate holder and replace with a quality all-black one.

I've only been pulled over two times in five years. No points or fines yet. Just a written warning. I hear that the police keep the warnings on file and will write you up if they check their data base..

I don't use the chrome plate holder. I was just showing what it would look like if the plate was mounted.. I still don't display a front plate.

Case1906 04-21-2018 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by CAracer (Post 7436148)
I've only been pulled over two times in five years. No points or fines yet. Just a written warning. I hear that the police keep the warnings on file and will write you up if they check their data base..

I don't use the chrome plate holder. I was just showing what it would look like if the plate was mounted.. I still don't display a front plate.

OK, understand. I feel better now.

sam9187 04-22-2018 12:05 AM

Where in Texas are you? I am in the Dallas area and was ticketed once for same

CAracer 04-24-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by sam9187 (Post 7436233)
Where in Texas are you? I am in the Dallas area and was ticketed once for same

Austin

Bahnstormer 04-24-2018 01:28 PM

Maybe he just wanted to get a closer look at your beautiful car.

EuroGermantown 04-24-2018 05:16 PM

You could get one of those remote license plate holders. Tons of guys do this.

I don't know if the front splitter is too low for that kinda thing but worth looking into.

Also, those cops totally just wanted to check your car out.

CAracer 04-24-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by sroumeliotis@eurogermantown.com (Post 7438405)
You could get one of those remote license plate holders. Tons of guys do this.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Powe.../dp/B001TLLZ4E

I don't know if the front splitter is too low for that kinda thing but worth looking into.

Also, those cops totally just wanted to check your car out.

Yes, I looked into it. I'm pretty sure that the GTS is too low. One steep driveway, and your plate will be gone. Thanks

jchochla 05-03-2018 12:23 AM

If you guys have Instagram, look up Anthony Graziano. Give him a follow. He's from NY and had a company get him a front license plate holder via his tow hook. Shoot him a message im sure he'll give details on the company who makes em!

-John

Tomsti 05-03-2018 12:50 AM

I would try a silver or black license plate frame to shrink the look of the plate, make it blend. Looks good now thou. Easy ticket for LE, and a simple report for no plate compaired to other offences.

Clark Kent 05-03-2018 09:56 AM

No front plate on my C63 and I've been in Austin for 3 years - and never pulled over for that. Even when pulled over for a speeding ticket once ever 3-4 years they don't say a thing about no front plate. Prior to that I was in the Plano/Frisco area for years and was left alone. Sorry to hear you have been singled out.

sneezix 01-26-2019 12:14 PM

So, John, have you been talking to your state rep? ;-)

wrs488 01-26-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 7445467)
No front plate on my C63 and I've been in Austin for 3 years - and never pulled over for that. Even when pulled over for a speeding ticket once ever 3-4 years they don't say a thing about no front plate. Prior to that I was in the Plano/Frisco area for years and was left alone. Sorry to hear you have been singled out.

Me either and I have been leaving the front plate off cars since about 2010. I know that in Steiner Ranch the TC sheriff has been monitoring Quinlan Park and people have gotten cited there. I live in Austin (Northwest Hills) above Bull Creek. Have lived in Austin for 44 years and this house for 22.

kumizi 01-26-2019 02:29 PM

Crazy

Got my license in 1999 and haven't had a front plate on any car I've owned. No tickets, no warnings, and not even been brought up when I've been pulled over doing other dumb stuff.

300blackout 01-27-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CAracer (Post 7438081)
Austin

Isn't Austin become the next Kalifornia? Super liberal?!

Exotic-metal55 02-07-2019 11:01 AM

I hear ya! They get me on multiple cars at least once or twice a year! Total BS! I tie strap one on, go to the court house, pay 10 bucks and then take it off again. Mailing the fine in, cost like 200 as I recall.

MG1422 02-07-2019 11:27 AM

Check this out about Texas.

https://www.motor1.com/news/304256/t...license-plate/

jstewperry 02-07-2019 01:40 PM

I posted this elsewhere. From a high-end custom auto body shop in the Chicago area (Auto Art), I got a "Hide-A-Way-Man" manual license plate holder from Race Sport. It works well and completely hidden when underneath, does the trick in the up position when I park in the city. The manual one takes less space underneath than the remote control version. It is also less likely to malfunction over time. Since I drive all year round in Chicago, I just need to be sure not to have the holder underneath if driving in deeper snow due to the low clearance. I hope this is helpful.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9fb9cc6d6a.jpg
Up when you need to display the front plate...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...87acce4b95.jpg
Underneath when you don't need to display the front plate!

MalibuScott 02-08-2019 10:37 AM

California is going to become a challenge for driving without a front plate. Until January of this year new cars (and newly-registered used cars) did not have temporary or "paper plates." Instead, there was a piece of paper the dealer usually taped to the lower right corner of the widnshield on the inside with the VIN and registered owner showing. It was scotch-taped onto the widnshield, so it could be removed and shown to a cop. In that space I have put the AMG Lounge stickre I received, so it looks like the old piece of paper. But not any more. Paper plates are required on the front and back.

When I first got the car I bought a bulky holder that screwed into the tow hook. I may be using that soon if I get a fix-it ticket. At some point I may have to actually affix the front plate.

benzbell 02-09-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott (Post 7676194)
California is going to become a challenge for driving without a front plate. Until January of this year new cars (and newly-registered used cars) did not have temporary or "paper plates." Instead, there was a piece of paper the dealer usually taped to the lower right corner of the widnshield on the inside with the VIN and registered owner showing. It was scotch-taped onto the widnshield, so it could be removed and shown to a cop. In that space I have put the AMG Lounge stickre I received, so it looks like the old piece of paper. But not any more. Paper plates are required on the front and back.

When I first got the car I bought a bulky holder that screwed into the tow hook. I may be using that soon if I get a fix-it ticket. At some point I may have to actually affix the front plate.

I thought the little sticker was odd. I flew into LAX and picked up my GLA45 from FJ in Newport and drove it home (out of state). Found it very peculiar there was only that little sticker in the bottom right. I've always seen/had a temporary in the rear. Easier for cops to see the temporary in the rear anyways.

rustybear3 02-09-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 300blackout (Post 7665478)
Isn't Austin become the next Kalifornia? Super liberal?!

Yes, thank God.

Beautiful city.

hyperion667 02-09-2019 11:24 AM

I agree with the sentiment 'why can't they find something better to cite' than a plate violation..........fawkers.

AtTheGlen 02-10-2019 08:18 PM

CA DMV Rationale for New Temp Lic Plates

I did some research on this topic at this link: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/templp. I live in CA and don't have front plates on either of our cars. I did get a "fix-it ticket" a few years ago with an SL63 while leaving the LA auto show. Also, while living in MA for a couple of years, I used a tow hook setup for the front plate on a 911.

In the past when purchasing a car, I've had to sign a form stating that I am OK with the dealer not installing the front plate. In the new DMV notice, there are no specific references to a front plate; however, there is wording like this below (note, used cars in CA keep the previous owner's plate as long as it's a CA plate, hence the reference below to "permanent license plates"; and this would also apply to currently registered out-of-state cars):

"What is the penalty for someone whose vehicle does not display temporary or permanent license plates?

The fine amount can differ depending in the county where a violation occurs. The fines range from $25 with proof of correction up to $197 without proof of correction. Drivers may receive multiple tickets if they delay making the correction."

This wording probably already exists in the DMV rules, though.

We're getting more and more toll roads in CA with a plan to convert some carpool lanes to toll lanes. Many don't require a transponder; rather you go on a website within 3 or 5 days and pay the toll, so the license plate is needed (but I'm thinking it must scan rear plates given the number of no-front-plate cars in CA). It's true that in a major accident, if a car had lost it's rear plate, the front plate could be useful, but the car should have registration data if not destroyed, and the probability of depending only on the front plate must be very low.

Here is DMV's rationale for this change:

The intent is to assist law enforcement and parking/toll agencies in identifying vehicles driven without license plates. Safety Issue for Law Enforcement – Unable to identify a vehicle that may have been involved in a crime before law enforcement approaches it. Difficult to investigate crimes involving vehicles.

Toll Evasion – Previously, vehicles could be driven without license plates after a retail sale. Too often, vehicle purchasers delay actually attaching their permanent license plates to the vehicle after they receive them from DMV. During this period, it is impossible to identify vehicles violating toll requirements on roads and bridges. This contributed to toll evasion, costing local governments as much as $15 million in lost revenue annually.
My Bottom Line: I'm hoping that most jurisdictions, "compliance discretion" continues as is. Police in CA could ticket cars all day long but it appears that unless there's an initiative like that in LA (where LAX parking garages were also targeted), tickets will not routinely be issued, even with the new temp plate law.

rustybear3 02-10-2019 09:08 PM

I say take the fine or warning and call it a day. Unless points are involved, nothing is worth screwing up those beautiful front end looks with ugly plates.