Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING! - 0 , ZERO Brake Pads for CCM GTR

Old 04-24-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
Originally Posted by JSwan724

The bigger question is WHY after so few miles. That doesn’t make sense since at all. Also, these pads calipers and rotors have been and are being used on prior year models.

This is incorrect, the GTR does not use the same pads as previous models its a completely different pad design.

Yes, this beast from the green hell saw some track time. That does not change the fact there are no pads for this car in the US or in Germany. NONE. That is the warning. If you need pads, your car will sit for whatever reason as of 4/24/18.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ronin amg

As for a track day car I would run steel not CCB unless you are gettin sponsored by AMG
I hold the track record at Summit Point in a GTR. The dealership and MB are well aware that I use my cars for this purpose. I have an 18 E63s that saw the same track time and doesn't need pads and has almost 10k miles on it. There is something different about the GTR pads where the pad crumbled and marred up the rotor in the process. 1 single track weekend on the car. I'm not going to hide it. This is the beast from the green hell, broke all kinds of track records. MB knew darn well what I was going to use the car for. The problem is that even if pads are on my dime, there are NONE to be had. Thus if they cannot supply parts for a car, then buy it back. There is a legal requirement to carry parts for cars in the US. The cars have been out for how long and we can't get pads?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 PM

SERIOUS QUESTION: Will MB AMG give you another buy back when you wear out the brakes on the buyout car? If so, I’m going racing in mine too.

MB AMG GET MY NEW GTR READY.
It's not about wearing them out, it's about products availability. I'm ready to pay for them.. If they we're available, which they are not. Therefore the car is going on week 5 of waiting for pads and 3 weeks at the dealership. That's big $ for a car you can't drive.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Brian Clarke
This is incorrect, the GTR does not use the same pads as previous models its a completely different pad design.

Yes, this beast from the green hell saw some track time. That does not change the fact there are no pads for this car in the US or in Germany. NONE. That is the warning. If you need pads, your car will sit for whatever reason as of 4/24/18.

OF COURSE THERE ARE PADS TO BE HAD! They are alloted to the assembly line that’s all. Some MB AMG exec who wanted to could divert a set to you very quickly.

PADS UNIQUE TO THE GTR—I would have to look at the parts numbers which I assume you already have done...right? Also, we all know Brembo makes these brakes so why not a call to them to see if they can turn up a set or have some made for you.

Now if you would, please answer my question. What happens in another 2k miles? Do you get yet another car?

Regards

Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 PM

OF COURSE THERE ARE PADS TO BE HAD! They are alloted to the assembly line that’s all. Some MB AMG exec who wanted to could divert a set to you very quickly.

PADS UNIQUE TO THE GTR—I would have to look at the parts numbers which I assume you already have done...right? Also, we all know Brembo makes these brakes so why not a call to them to see if they can turn up a set or have some made for you.

Now if you would, please answer my question. What happens in another 2k miles? Do you get yet another car?

Regards

You'd think they would have already done that, for some reason easier to just buy it back.

I'm not getting another GTR - If parts are going to be a problem, I'm staying away. I bought 3 AMGs in 45 days, GTR, E63S and GLA45. If they can't provide parts, then MB can have it. I've already been through a trans on the E63S at 3500 miles.

There is no aftermarket pads at this time. I have a standing offer from Pagid to source pads in 7-8 weeks if I can supply them backing plates, but that would require getting another set of pads and sending them the old ones.

Why can't you take this at face value? There aren't any pads.... It's been 5 weeks. If you have CCB's don't currently use your pads up, there aren't any.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
You'd think they would have already done that, for some reason easier to just buy it back.

I'm not getting another GTR - If parts are going to be a problem, I'm staying away. I bought 3 AMGs in 45 days, GTR, E63S and GLA45. If they can't provide parts, then MB can have it. I've already been through a trans on the E63S at 3500 miles.

There is no aftermarket pads at this time. I have a standing offer from Pagid to source pads in 7-8 weeks if I can supply them backing plates, but that would require getting another set of pads and sending them the old ones.

Why can't you take this at face value? There aren't any pads.... It's been 5 weeks. If you have CCB's don't currently use your pads up, there aren't any.

My honest response is that it boggles the mind that they would even think about giving you a new GTR instead of getting you pads. They should be all over this.

The second point is that I am having difficulty learning that ceramic pads could wear out in 2k miles. The advantage of thse very expensive alternatives is that they would last for 3-4 years in normal use and more than that competitively.

I hope this all gets resolved to your satisfaction really soon.

Regards

Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 AM

My honest response is that it boggles the mind that they would even think about giving you a new GTR instead of getting you pads. They should be all over this.

The second point is that I am having difficulty learning that ceramic pads could wear out in 2k miles. The advantage of thse very expensive alternatives is that they would last for 3-4 years in normal use and more than that competitively.

I hope this all gets resolved to your satisfaction really soon.

Regards

I'm asking for a buyback, not another GTR. I'm not going to have this problem on a second vehicle. I will move to another brand that doesn't have lack of brake pads in their portfolio.

The pads on my E63S Edition 1 with CCB's are holding up fine. Same amount of track time. and I have almost 10k miles on the E63S. There is something about the GTR pad. I run in TC off on the track, so it's not TC and ABS is not kicking on in my runs.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Again this is bizarre, however, supply line will eventually be sorted. Sounds like there may be a defect in recent pads that has caused this delay.

While we have you here can you share any on track mods that were done?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I'm asking for a buyback, not another GTR. I'm not going to have this problem on a second vehicle. I will move to another brand that doesn't have lack of brake pads in their portfolio.

The pads on my E63S Edition 1 with CCB's are holding up fine. Same amount of track time. and I have almost 10k miles on the E63S. There is something about the GTR pad. I run in TC off on the track, so it's not TC and ABS is not kicking on in my runs.
Brian can you supply more info as I’m heading to the road course myself this upcoming weekend:

I am planing on using ‘R’ mode with ESC completely ‘off’; (or as much as MB will allow you to turn it off), and then will fine tune the TC knob. I’ll start at about 3/4 clicks off and adjust from there.

Obviously I’ll disable the active safety braking system as much as possible also.

Your pads?

1: Did you burnish them prior to heading to the road course?

2: Are the front or rear pads, (or both), worn out?

3: The rotors are not the same as the Brembo CCMs that we’re on my ‘15 Z06/7. Are they also Brembo but of a different design?

TIA, and so sorry for the hassle you’re experiencing. MB should be ashamed of such poor customer service, or lack of. Frankly I believe they are legally liable to find you brake pads since this is a ‘safety’ issue.

Bish
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
What a ****ing ridiculous thread

I'll call parts tomorrow and check availability, if I can get a set do you want them?
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by [b
WhiteBlack;7439006]What a ****ing ridiculous thread

I'll call parts tomorrow and check availability, if I can get a set do you want them?

EXACTLY WHO IS THIS DIRECTED AT?? I hope it isn’t Brian or one of the members......MB maybe but we don’t know the issues yet.

2018 AMG GTR assembly is shut down like I told you in a earlier thread. They are tooling up to make 2019’s and load the supply chain for early to mid August/September deliveries. So, a trip down to the assembly line inventory and a FedEx shipping label and poof Pads.

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-25-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

EXACTLY WHO IS THIS DIRECTED AT?? I hope it isn’t Brian or one of the members......MB maybe but we don’t inow the issues yet.

2018 AMG GTR assembly is shut down like I told you in a earlier thread. They are tooling up to make 2019’s and load the supply chain for early to mid August/September deliveries. So, a trip down to the assembly line inventory and a FedEx shipping label and poof Pads.
WhiteBlack lives in the U.K. Jerry so I think he’s offering to help out a forum member by doing a bloody good deed!

So yes I hope the ‘ridiculous’ nature of his post was directed at MB. This is in no way Brian’s fault.

Last edited by thebishman; 04-25-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by thebishman

WhiteBlack lives in the U.K. Jerry so I think he’s offering to help out a forum member by doing a bloody good deed!

So yes I hope the ‘ridiculous’ nature of his post was directed at MB. This is in no way Brian’s fault.

BAD JERRY BAD, BAD!

BRIAN: Would you plese stop by your dealer and see if they will open a TIPS report for you. That is supposed to move things through channels fairly quickly. I hope it does.

Regards

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-25-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Of course I don’t know anything specific about the op’s car nor am I denying his statement regarding pad shortage. In my opinion for mb to want to do a buy back, there may be an underlying factor. Maybe there is something specific going on about the car that is not correctable at dealer level. Mb has had proactive buy back instances where before even the car is legally considered a lemon, it is bought back and shipped to mbusa or Germany, presumably for dissecting and finding the particular problem. I know two things. First this transaction is done quietly. The arrangements are made with the understanding that the owner does not advertise the matter in public settings so other owners with subjective issues would not line up and ask for buy backs. As such, I am not sure if it is in OP’s best interest to discuss this here, at least until the matter is closed. I am not in a position to advise. I am stating my opinion. Second, if mb is truly intending to buy back, presumably because something IS wrong with the car, then the last thing OP needs is a set of pads! Even if there is a way, let’s unload the current car. There will be more gtrs in the future to be had should he be so inclined.
Good luck with the buy back.

Last edited by cyberorth; 04-26-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
It’s 8 pm in England. I guess no front pads. there are rears in Jersey .....

A friend of mine who has a CPO S class needs front rotors and was advised today that there are 1700 back orders in front of him.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
It’s 8 pm in England. I guess no front pads. there are rears in Jersey .....

A friend of mine who has a CPO S class needs front rotors and was advised today that there are 1700 back orders in front of him.

What? Certainly not that many orders for rotors surely; you have to mean all back-orders I’m guessing?
Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
A few points come to mind:
-Sorry to hear about your issues and thanks for sharing.
-Congrats on the OP to be using the car as intended and being able to take the car to its limits which I think only few of us can actually do.
-Shame on MB for not being able to provide pads timely as if MB's intention was to steal from Porsche GT3/GT3RS customer base, those customers will run quickly back to Porsche after reading this post.
-If OP has not elevated this issue personally above the dealership to MB USA or even MB germany at the highest level, I would suggest doing it ASAP.

Common sense leads me to think there is more to this story than we currently told. The OP should be exactly the type of marketing story MB would want for the GT-R: customer buys a GTR and runs record times on his track bla bla bla and gets on the front page of the Mercedes magazine. I am not saying the OP is hiding anything but I am wondering if MB has found an issue with the pads that they have not fixed yet. Inquiring minds want to know
The following users liked this post:
kumizi (05-02-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by thebishman

What? Certainly not that many orders for rotors surely; you have to mean all back-orders I’m guessing?

just what I said. 1700 S class front brake rotor kits back ordered.

Again, and i agree with Emeric, there must be a defect on GTR pads they are trying to correct.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

just what I said. 1700 S class front brake rotor kits back ordered.

Again, and i agree with Emeric, there must be a defect on GTR pads they are trying to correct.

Wow, I’m simply blown away by the number of front rotor kits on back order. Must be a recall for a huge number of those cars.

As to the pads: I suspect the wrong material was chosen to enhance street driving characteristics, and under high heat/stress situations the pads are failing at the track. Not good at all.

Bish
Old 04-27-2018, 05:02 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
So I made some calls here regarding pads, I can get fronts but not rears. Rears are priced at £286 which seemed reasonable.

My local supplying dealer was most unhelpful, saying they could not give me an estimated time on delivery until I'd paid for the pads (not ****ing likely) and tried to tell me that the pads are made to order! The dealer who I use for servicing who are owned by MB was much more helpful even giving me sales numbers for this item in the last 12 months, they couldn't give me a deliver estimate either but assured me that they would get pads "one way or another" if I ordered them.

Not sure what to make of all that to be honest, obviously not good.

My GTR goes off for service tomorrow for quite an extensive list of stuff, they're going to measure the rear pads for me and let me know how worn they are then and we'll take it from there I guess.
thebishman (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack
So I made some calls here regarding pads, I can get fronts but not rears. Rears are priced at £286 which seemed reasonable.

My local supplying dealer was most unhelpful, saying they could not give me an estimated time on delivery until I'd paid for the pads (not ****ing likely) and tried to tell me that the pads are made to order! The dealer who I use for servicing who are owned by MB was much more helpful even giving me sales numbers for this item in the last 12 months, they couldn't give me a deliver estimate either but assured me that they would get pads "one way or another" if I ordered them.

My GTR goes off for service tomorrow for quite an extensive list of stuff, they're going to measure the rear pads for me and let me know how worn they are then and we'll take it from there I guess.
Thank you very much for looking into this issue. I am wondering if the rotors (CCB) still need to be replaced with the pads as well and if they are in stock. If not then the suspision about sub standard pad compunding may be true.

As they say, stay tuned....

Last edited by JSwan724; 04-27-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
This thread is very interesting What drama!

The only problem I have with my brake pads (4200 miles) is that they squeak.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Rear pads in New Jersey white/black. It’s a true global economy lol.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack

Have you ‘tracked’ the car, and if so how many times?

How many total miles on your car thus far?

Thanks for any extra data.

Bish
Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Btw IF this is just an issue with rear brake pads on someone who takes the car to a road course please remember the following:

I am not sure if the parking brake works off of the rear brakes on the GT series cars, or if there’s a separate disc/drum setup on the axle purely for that purpose, but if the rear brakes are used for parking purposes NEVER apply the parking brake after coming directly off of the track. The heat build-up is huge and has been known to ‘weld’ pads to iron discs. On a CCM set-up it won’t don’t that, but the thermal stress applied to the pad from the rotor could easily destroy (vapourise?) the bonding agents in the rear pads so that they essentially delaminate. The pad/rotor interface will also no doubt ‘mar’ the surface of the rotor and could potentially ruin it also.

When you park after being on the track find a flat surface; put the transmission in ‘P’ and before you switch the car off or open the door with the seat belt undone, pull the Parking brake handle towards you. This stops it from being automatically engaged. Hence no pad applied to the rotor. Think about chocking the car so it can’t roll also.

Again, I’m not saying this happened as I don’t know how the parking brake system works, but it’s a good working theory if the rear discs are used.

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 04-27-2018 at 09:55 AM.
cyberorth (04-28-2018)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING! - 0 , ZERO Brake Pads for CCM GTR