Sponsored by:

WARNING! - 0 , ZERO Brake Pads for CCM GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Originally Posted by thebishman

Have you ‘tracked’ the car, and if so how many times?

How many total miles on your car thus far?

Thanks for any extra data.

Bish
My car has 5 full days and 3 evening sessions on it.

Fronts have loads left, rears look like are 4-5mm (quite hard to tell with wheels on) so not worn out but I want to replace early to prolong disc life. I will be must upset if discs are remotely worn!

Car has 6500 miles in total.

I’ll update next week when mb has got the wheels off and inspected.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack

My car has 5 full days and 3 evening sessions on it.

Fronts have loads left, rears look like are 4-5mm (quite hard to tell with wheels on) so not worn out but I want to replace early to prolong disc life. I will be must upset if discs are remotely worn!

Car has 6500 miles in total.

I’ll update next week when mb has got the wheels off and inspected.

Good to know, thanks.

I also replace the pads on a CCM set-up early in order to avoid damage to the rotor, and will replace them when they are down to around 1/3rd of the original depth.

You can tell by your wear rates that even though I’m sure you’re driving on track with ESC ‘off’, there really is no such thing on a Mercedes it seems.

Btw I’m sure you know this but some times an inner pad can wear at a greater rate than the outer, or can even wear in a tapered fashion, so it’s really important to pull them out to check them after heavy duty usage.
Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 04-27-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR, Subaru Rally Car,Model X P100D
STATUS UPDATE 4/28. I have the GTR back with a pads supplied to my dealer by the AMG Performance Academy in FL. My dealer now owes the AMG Performance Academy the pads that are on order for my car. I have not had a chance to speak with MB-USA on where we are on the buyback, but I cannot take this car on track again until the pad situation is resolved or the car will end up sitting again. This means it's an expensive paperweight at the moment.

The pads that came off my car have several cracks perpendicular to the pad that go down the entire pad from top to bottom. I have given the pads to OG Racing in order to source us aftermarket solution from Pagid.

I was given the following advice from the AMG Academy folks:
  1. Open your door after track use and manually turn off the parking brake. Even when you turn it off, sometimes it makes you turn the car back on, and then will turn off the brake. Test this until you get it right, after I got my car back today it took a few tries to get it to work. Appears the parking brake applies the front and rear brake.
  2. Given considerable cool down time between sessions
  3. Don't go more then 6-7 hot laps with this car and the CCB's without a cool down lap afterwards, OR TWO, they said. You will run the pads down like I did going for 30 minute sessions with a warm up and a cool down and about 10-12 laps depending on time.

On top of that, when I need pads again, there is a global shortage, even for the AMG Academy, no one can get pads with any certainty at this time and the pads that MB is forced to use will not take the track abuse with the speeds the GTR can achieve.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:27 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
The Carbon Ceramics on my GTR, are exactly the same ones on my CLS, and E63. So this doesn't just affect the GTR if its true.

Last edited by AHI; 04-29-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Brian,

I have asked you a couple of times but again, was the issue just on the rear pads?

I ask because if so, I believe the issue to have been caused by the automatic application of the Parking brake just after exiting the track without sufficient cool down. This has the potential to ‘cook’ the rear pads on a CCM set-up when they are used as the means to active the parking brake.

On an iron brake set-up, pads can get ‘welded’ to the rotor essentially.

Bish
Old 04-29-2018, 05:05 PM

Brian,

I have asked you a couple of times but again, was the issue just on the rear pads?

I ask because if so, I believe the issue to have been caused by the automatic application of the Parking brake just after exiting the track without sufficient cool down. This has the potential to ‘cook’ the rear pads on a CCM set-up when they are used as the means to active the parking brake.

On an iron brake set-up, pads can get ‘welded’ to the rotor essentially.

Bish
Bish,

I have replied to several threads, a few times both here and on PL that it's both front and rear associated. You gotta read the whole post my man!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Brian Clarke
Bish,

I have replied to several threads, a few times both here and on PL that it's both front and rear associated. You gotta read the whole post my man!
Thanks Brian. I have read everything you've posted, but somehow missed the part re: both F and R pads were the issue.

I just finished a DE weekend; well four high speed sessions anyway, and have zero issues with my brakes.

Look for my post on my recent track experience.

Bish
Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Dahatsu handi

2018 AMG GTR assembly is shut down like I told you in a earlier thread. They are tooling up to make 2019’s and load the supply chain for early to mid August/September deliveries.

How is do you know this? I have a car going into build in July, it would be good if that was an MY 19.
i have heard no word or an update spec MY 19 and isn’t it early in the year for re-tooling? Also any info on what the spec change maybe ?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Contact RacingBrake , they may be able to help out. They are a sponsor on this board
Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
Contact RacingBrake , they may be able to help out. They are a sponsor on this board
he already tried RB. Rotors heat cycled out after several track days.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
S550 coupe
OP makes sense.
if you buy a car you should be able to use it. This means parts availability.

I heard Renntech is looking into Surface Transform rotors. I run them on my GT3RS, works perfect.
I need to go by there soon anyway, So I will see where they are with brakes.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
Originally Posted by ronin amg
Do you know to drive ?
Funny, I seem to drive kinda quick in my 4700 lb e63s wagon with CCB and they are like new after 6,000 mi. and my stock GTS iron brakes with 7,000 mi. are like new.
Maybe instead of panic braking into every corner try being smooth..
The canyons are just as aggressive as any road course I know of and being smooth is always safe and fast..
Let's see an in car video of the car being driven on track... for curiosity ..
Knowledge base you say, let me know when you can do a 1:17 at Willow Springs..

1:17 Big Willow.. Willow Springs Raceway

Laguna Seca Raceway

Button Willow Raceway, also the fastest Lotus ever Willow Springs

Willow Springs Raceway, oh yeah I'm in the black R5 Turbo 1
Maybe read the post I was responding to..
I was talking about being smooth and using your brakes wisely. My old cars were all "street cars" and driven just as hard in the canyons, I just learned to save my brakes by being smooth...

Anyway back to panic braking into every corner..
Yeah you are almost right, two are 30yr. old cars and the Lotus was back in 2010 but how many guys like yourself could run a 1:17 on Big Willow in any car or can you do a 1:27 or even a 1:37... Eat me chump..
I'll stay smooth and have brakes when I need them...smooth is fast.
My original point was in order to kill your pads that quickly the driver must not be very smooth entering the corner on ABS controlling lockup. Now if there were a video of the OP driving on track that would answer a lot of questions, is it the car or is it the driver ?

Oh trust me after my 1:17 in my RS200E I was done with the track for a very long time... There was nothing worse than watching the dirt blowing across the track between turn 8 and 9 as you enter at serious speed.
The Lotus with 290whp was pulling 1:26.

As for a track day car I would run steel not CCB unless you are gettin sponsored by AMG

​​​​​​Get over yourself..
​​

Last edited by Ariesfamous; 05-04-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
OP makes sense.
if you buy a car you should be able to use it. This means parts availability.

I heard Renntech is looking into Surface Transform rotors. I run them on my GT3RS, works perfect.
I need to go by there soon anyway, So I will see where they are with brakes.
This is good to know, Peter. Having (ultimately) cheaper and more durable options is always welcome.

The rotor itself on the GTR looks different than the Brembo CCM found on the Z06/ZR1. Hence I wonder who manufactures them?

Bish
Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 AM

Again!!!

Gremlins return.

OG Racing sent my last set of Backing plates to Paggid after my brake job.

I was told eight weeks about three weeks ago.

Also to note; I did a 1:19 at summit on 6/9/18 in my first session back out but the car since new pads and fluids. The car proceeded to run out of brake in five laps the pedal started going to the floor. The rotors have serious transfer. If the car sits it gets moderate pedal back, as soon as heat gets back in the system,
to the floor.

I reported that it won’t brake from 160mph to 45 for turn 1 of summit main as an example, I mean what do we tell them? The pedal goes to the floor with some heat, a few back to back 100 - 20mph and the pedal is mush. Dealer cannot simulate conditions of track use and those speed legally so MB is sending out a field services support rep, given my pads just came from the AMG academy and were burnished by the MB Tech, and brakes flushed and bled from last trip.

Missing events left and right.

Last edited by Brian Clarke; 06-13-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Gremlins return.

OG Racing sent my last set of Backing plates to Paggid after my brake job.

I was told eight weeks about three weeks ago.

Also to note; I did a 1:19 at summit on 6/9/18 in my first session back out but the car since new pads and fluids. The car proceeded to run out of brake in five laps the pedal started going to the floor. The rotors have serious transfer. If the car sits it gets moderate pedal back, as soon as heat gets back in the system,
to the floor.

I reported that it won’t brake from 160mph to 45 for turn 1 of summit main as an example, I mean what do we tell them? The pedal goes to the floor with some heat, a few back to back 100 - 20mph and the pedal is mush. Dealer cannot simulate conditions of track use and those speed legally so MB is sending out a field services support rep, given my pads just came from the AMG academy and were burnished by the MB Tech, and brakes flushed and bled from last trip.

Missing events left and right.

Please see my response in the other thread re: my track experience.

Autoquest shows Pagid pads already available front and rear for our car. I’m getting ready to call John Gaydos (239-432-1700) about new pads this afternoon myself. I’ll let everyone know what he says.

Bish
Old 06-13-2018, 09:50 AM

Autoquest shows Pagid pads already available front and rear for our car. I’m getting ready to call John Gaydos (239-432-1700) about new pads this afternoon myself. I’ll let everyone know what he says.

Bish
Let me know on the pads -
Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 AM

fun ones.

Bish
I wondered about this myself. Pagid code is RSC1, pads have been available since day one. Not sure why Brians guys needed to send backs to Pagid.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 AM

I wondered about this myself. Pagid code is RSC1, pads have been available since day one. Not sure why Brians guys needed to send backs to Pagid.
I use OG Racing - they are a huge pagid vendor and have not been able to get them.

There was some issues with the part #'s where folks thought the pads from the older CCM's would work and that was incorrect. Let's hope we can get it sorted.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 AM

fun ones.
I use OG Racing - they are a huge pagid vendor and have not been able to get them.

There was some issues with the part #'s where folks thought the pads from the older CCM's would work and that was incorrect. Let's hope we can get it sorted.
Part numbers seems to be the issue with these and nothing else. When I ordered my replacement pads from MB, fronts were in stock, rears were out of stock with no ETA(as you found). MB technical got on the case and told me that the SLS Black series uses the same rear brakes and the pads are identical (but a different part number). I have a full day at silverstone on these pads now.

Re The pagid pads, I spoke directly with them and have been assured they have pads to fit but I haven't purchased.

Brakes in my car are not as good as I'd like but I can show them some sympathy and run fairly long stints. 165mph down to 40mph once a lap with no bother.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Re The pagid pads, I spoke directly with them and have been assured they have pads to fit but I haven't purchased.
Can you give me the details of where you called and such, thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM

fun ones.
I orginally spoke to eurocarparts who told me that RSC1 would fit but they're not exactly experts so I called TMD Friction (+49 2171 501-6) who own Pagid and went from there, wasn't easy! +49 2171 501-
Old 06-14-2018, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Brian,

John Gaydos at Autoquest is checking with Pagid on the RSC1 but it is showing as being available for the GTR. I'll send him a follow-up email today, and if you'd like his contact info again; (I've already posted his phone number previously but here it is again: john@autoquestms.com (239) 432-1700)

Bish
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Brian,

John Gaydos at Autoquest is checking with Pagid on the RSC1 but it is showing as being available for the GTR. I'll send him a follow-up email today, and if you'd like his contact info again; (I've already posted his phone number previously but here it is again: john@autoquestms.com (239) 432-1700)

Bish
Brian,

John Gaydos at Autoquest can get both front and rear Pagid RSC1 pads for your car. His contact info is above.

Bish
Old 06-15-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
S550 coupe
+1 Good people at Autoquest. I get my brake consumables there.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1 Good people at Autoquest. I get my brake consumables there.
I just ordered a set of Signature 501 wheels for track duties from John today, Peter. Great customer service; highly recommended as you say.

Bish

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING! - 0 , ZERO Brake Pads for CCM GTR