Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers seat loose/rocks back and forth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
I'm assuming the dealership is also able to demonstrate the issue as well? Sounds like this may be a candidate for lemon law if you've purchased with warranty?

Glad to hear your dealership is treating you well.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
If anyone can find out about the redesigned seat clips and get a part number to post here that would be great.
I have a feeling that would fix it. Since they have already tried 2 cushion replacements and the whole seat frame.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Solarbeam Yellow 2016 AMG GTS
I had the same issue and the dealer corrected it. I was assuming I was going to get a new seat given some reports about that elsewhere. However, the dealer took my seat apart instead and understood the issue (as opposed to simply a replacement and the issue returning; I like that approach). It was not actually an issue with the rails or metal mechanism under the seat. I had identified that myself already. It was actually the seat bottom pillow that was ever so slightly sliding side to side. It is a friction-resistance related issue, meaning that it won't slide until the sideways force (from cornering or the like) is high enough. And then it suddenly it pops left or right, giving us that "clicking" feel. They took the skin off the seat and replaced the clips that hold the bottom padding in place.Then they used a special grease to avoid the friction issue. It has been super tight and the issue has not returned so far. I am a couple months in now with a few more miles on the car. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by rt7085:
300blackout (12-07-2018), Surge (09-17-2019)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by rt7085
I had the same issue and the dealer corrected it. I was assuming I was going to get a new seat given some reports about that elsewhere. However, the dealer took my seat apart instead and understood the issue (as opposed to simply a replacement and the issue returning; I like that approach). It was not actually an issue with the rails or metal mechanism under the seat. I had identified that myself already. It was actually the seat bottom pillow that was ever so slightly sliding side to side. It is a friction-resistance related issue, meaning that it won't slide until the sideways force (from cornering or the like) is high enough. And then it suddenly it pops left or right, giving us that "clicking" feel. They took the skin off the seat and replaced the clips that hold the bottom padding in place.Then they used a special grease to avoid the friction issue. It has been super tight and the issue has not returned so far. I am a couple months in now with a few more miles on the car. Hope this helps.
Thanks very much, I just forwarded your post to my service advisor. I appreciate it. I will keep this updated as soon as there is a next step.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 PM

It was Mercedes Benz of Burlington in MA. Speak to Mark (Master Technician).
Old 12-08-2018, 07:32 PM

AMG GT S
Thanks
My service advisor is aware of your input. I'm confident they are going to resolve the issue with all the resources they have.
They have my car, I will update how it goes.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
My GTS goes in next week to replace the seat clips. I was told the clips were back-ordered or difficult to get. I hope this resolves the issue---my seat only has very slight movement, but it is there. I'll have the part number next week.

Update: Dealer ordered the wrong part (entire seat frame) : ( Part being sought and ordered again.... grrrrrr. I'll follow-up and try and get a part number

Last edited by Ken Doo; 12-21-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GTS
I have a 2016 AMG GTS with edition one style seats. Mine does this too, feels like a 1/8 wiggle in the seat, happens at low speed, like when turning through a parking lot... feels like the butt scoots just a pinch to the outside direction of turn... feels like a click, but definitely in the seat. I notice when the seat height is high, it happens more. I don't seem to notice it at speed, but perhaps that is because my other senses are engaged (lol). I hope to get my car from body shop next week for unrelated issues, then take it to the dealer to check this. I will let you know what they find.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:35 PM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by aahh
I have a 2016 AMG GTS with edition one style seats. Mine does this too, feels like a 1/8 wiggle in the seat, happens at low speed, like when turning through a parking lot... feels like the butt scoots just a pinch to the outside direction of turn... feels like a click, but definitely in the seat. I notice when the seat height is high, it happens more. I don't seem to notice it at speed, but perhaps that is because my other senses are engaged (lol). I hope to get my car from body shop next week for unrelated issues, then take it to the dealer to check this. I will let you know what they find.
That is precisely the same description as the problem I am experiencing. Even so far as the parking lot driving where it is really apparent.
it's so noticeable driving up the floors of my underground parkade
Old 12-21-2018, 02:16 PM

AMG GTS
Any update on required part number?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:21 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Ken Doo
My GTS goes in next week to replace the seat clips. I was told the clips were back-ordered or difficult to get. I hope this resolves the issue---my seat only has very slight movement, but it is there. I'll have the part number next week.

Update: Dealer ordered the wrong part (entire seat frame) : ( Part being sought and ordered again.... grrrrrr. I'll follow-up and try and get a part number
Any update on required part number?
Old 12-23-2018, 11:01 PM

AMG GT S
Update:
They still have my car and are still working on this issue.
The dealership is coordinating with mb Canada and mb Germany.
They have taken video with the camera located at the underneath rear of the seat while being road tested.
A clicking noise and wiggling is confirmed.
Apparently the seat is designed as described below.
It is bolted at the front but no bolts at the rear.
The seat is carbon fiber (perhaps it flexes more than a plastic seat)
When raised above it has a tiny bit of give that results in this issue. (I think this wouldn't happen if it was left in the lowest position, on the floor, is why I mention it)
So that is where I am at.
A great car except for this issue that I have had forever.
Interestingly it is only really noticeable when driving through undergrounds and similar type surfaces.
Although it is apparent in daily driving and can be aggravating to deal with.
And I don't drive much at all.
I hope they resolve it asap.
I'm almost 3 years in.
The following users liked this post:
Surge (09-17-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 PM

AMG GT S
Update:
They had my car for awhile. Apparently they were coordinating the fix with mb Canada and mb Germany..
After 1 month I got my car back and the service advisor said that they didn't receive much assistance from the above 2 and that the mechanic spent a lot of time sorting it out himself.
So far so good..
edit: to add the following
The previous 2 service periods they replaced the seat clips and then the seat frame and my car was fine for a short period of time and then the problem resurfaced.

Last edited by MercAMGgts2016; 01-08-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
Update:
They had my car for awhile. Apparently they were coordinating the fix with mb Canada and mb Germany..
After 1 month I got my car back and the service advisor said that they didn't receive much assistance from the above 2 and that the mechanic spent a lot of time sorting it out himself.
So far so good..
edit: to add the following
The previous 2 service periods they replaced the seat clips and then the seat frame and my car was fine for a short period of time and then the problem resurfaced.
Interesting. My problem was solved properly. Perhaps instead of calling Canada they should contact MB of Burlington, MA.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 PM

AMG GT S
Interesting. My problem was solved properly. Perhaps instead of calling Canada they should contact MB of Burlington, MA.
Yes, I actually provided your earlier post to them.
How long and how many miles since your fix was done?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:19 AM

Yes, I actually provided your earlier post to them.
How long and how many miles since your fix was done?
About 1200 miles ago.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Wow, I honestly thought I was the only one to have this problem.
It happened on my 2016 GTS. I took it to the dealer 3 times in 2016 to diagnose and repair it. They finally fixed it, and it never came back.
My 2018 GTR started to do it at 1,100kms. I couldn't believe it was happening to this car too. One night, my wife drove the R home, and I sat passenger, and felt it in that seat too!

I dropped it off at the dealer, and gave them the VIN# to my GTS, and told them to fix the GTR (driver and passenger seat) the same way they fixed my GTS, and they did.

I noticed a few of the guys here complaining, are in Canada. Mercedes Maple has the fix to this issue. if you need to get a hold of me, email me ahiko23@gmail.com and i'll send you over the details.
Surge (09-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:03 PM

AMG GT S
About 1200 miles ago.
hi, okay thanks for the mileage
Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 PM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by AHI
Wow, I honestly thought I was the only one to have this problem.
It happened on my 2016 GTS. I took it to the dealer 3 times in 2016 to diagnose and repair it. They finally fixed it, and it never came back.
My 2018 GTR started to do it at 1,100kms. I couldn't believe it was happening to this car too. One night, my wife drove the R home, and I sat passenger, and felt it in that seat too!

I dropped it off at the dealer, and gave them the VIN# to my GTS, and told them to fix the GTR (driver and passenger seat) the same way they fixed my GTS, and they did.

I noticed a few of the guys here complaining, are in Canada. Mercedes Maple has the fix to this issue. if you need to get a hold of me, email me ahiko23@gmail.com and i'll send you over the details.
Thanks for posting this, I emailed you.
janstuart (02-06-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 PM
AHI

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by CAracer
I had the same issue. The dealer solved it. It hasn't come back so far. The service mechanic did manage to damage my lower rocker panel removing the seat from the car. Also, the steering wheel had to be removed to get the seat out. . When I picked up my car, the steering wheel was not centered. Had to return to the dealership to get that corrected. Never ending problems dealing with dealerships work.
The steering wheel on the GT series, have a centering notch. They are not the typical spline system as other manufacturers. Its literally impossible to put the steering wheel on in the incorrect position. I'm really curious as to what really happened here.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 PM
AHI

AMG GTR
Thanks for posting this, I emailed you.
Got it and responded
For those interested, from what I see in my service notes, it was a "bolt kit" for each seat, and some other loose bolts
Old 02-26-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
After some initial confusion, I am hoping that the parts on order resolve the slight wiggle on the driver's seat. I really do think that AMG tries its best to satisfy its consumers, so a big thanks to our regional AMG representative Wienik Bleyenberg.

The part numbers for the items ordered are for a felt strip and clips. A 001 983 23 10 and A 207 545 16 40.

Fingers-crossed.
Surge (09-17-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM

AMG GT S
After some initial confusion, I am hoping that the parts on order resolve the slight wiggle on the driver's seat. I really do think that AMG tries its best to satisfy its consumers, so a big thanks to our regional AMG representative Wienik Bleyenberg.

The part numbers for the items ordered are for a felt strip and clips. A 001 983 23 10 and A 207 545 16 40.

Fingers-crossed.
thanks for your post
As for my seat issue, have had my car back for about 7 weeks and so far so good this time.
I dont drive much at all tho, lol
fingers crossed 2
Old 02-27-2019, 12:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Renntech
Originally Posted by AHI
Got it and responded
For those interested, from what I see in my service notes, it was a "bolt kit" for each seat, and some other loose bolts

any part number for this?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe

Fingers-crossed.
I have the same issue with my driver's seat, thanks for the part numbers my dealer has them ordered now..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drivers seat loose/rocks back and forth