Sponsored by:

Loose Steering Feel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Question Loose Steering Feel

Thought it would be a good idea to share my steering issue with my GTS and see if others have experienced this. My AMG GTS's steering wheel is feeling very loose at higher 100mph+ speeds. I keep getting the feeling that the car is is about to fishtail on me at higher speeds due to the steering wheel and steering feeling very soft. My daily driver is a BMW X5M, the steering feel much tighter and firmer that my GTS. Any thoughts on what could this be?

Regards,
J.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
IMO, its an inherent part of the cars character and feel, due to the fact that you sit way behind the cars pivot point ..... essentially on the rear axle.

The steering is precise and there is feel, I'm just not sure why they didn't add more weight.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by xbox
IMO, its an inherent part of the cars character and feel, due to the fact that you sit way behind the cars pivot point ..... essentially on the rear axle.

The steering is precise and there is feel, I'm just not sure why they didn't add more weight.
I haven't experienced what the OP is referring to. We don't exactly sit over the rear axle, but I appreciate your point as I think of the GTs as a front mid-engine car with the location of the engine on the car. This gets the weight of the engine off of the front axle which leads to more precise (lighter) and better handling and balance. If one were to drive a rear-engine car, you would have a similar feeling to perhaps what the OP may be feeling.

However, more weight is exactly the opposite of what is needed for better handling. Mercs have always been pigs in this regard. An X5 probably outweighs a GT by 1000 pounds. It's a good car and will feel planted, and totally different.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by Case1906

I haven't experienced what the OP is referring to. We don't exactly sit over the rear axle, but I appreciate your point as I think of the GTs as a front mid-engine car with the location of the engine on the car. This gets the weight of the engine off of the front axle which leads to more precise (lighter) and better handling and balance. If one were to drive a rear-engine car, you would have a similar feeling to perhaps what the OP may be feeling.

However, more weight is exactly the opposite of what is needed for better handling. Mercs have always been pigs in this regard. An X5 probably outweighs a GT by 1000 pounds. It's a good car and will feel planted, and totally different.
I've yet to feel the steering load up, when pushing in bends.

It seems to always feel the same, with a constant light weight, so IMO, the steering lacks weight.

This would do nothing in terms of better/worse handling, just would communicate/feedback more to the driver.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
The steering system is electric correct ? Not hydro-mechanical
Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by speefspeed
Correct.

Porsche do a good job of engineering in some feel with their electric system - wheel wants to centre more strongly and generally communicates more to the driver.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by jchochla
Thought it would be a good idea to share my steering issue with my GTS and see if others have experienced this. My AMG GTS's steering wheel is feeling very loose at higher 100mph+ speeds. I keep getting the feeling that the car is is about to fishtail on me at higher speeds due to the steering wheel and steering feeling very soft. My daily driver is a BMW X5M, the steering feel much tighter and firmer that my GTS. Any thoughts on what could this be?

Regards,
J.
I had a GTS for two years and never felt that it wanted to swap ends. Steering feel is quite a personal thing and depends largely on past experience. The GTS certainly does not have a heavier feel that a previous BMW I had did. I have driven many GTS on race tracks and never once felt that the front end wanted to wash out or the rear was twitchy. That being said, the feel is lighter than some would prefer. You don't feel the tires through the steering wheel as easily as on some cars....and if you like that "road feel" it would be missed.

You might check your tire pressures. Fix them at 31/32 psi front/rear cold. If they are inflated higher...especially a lot higher the car does feel a bit less connected in my experience.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Magno silver amg gt
Originally Posted by speefspeed
steering is not electric on amg gt(s) ... it is indeed hydraulic
Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
check your tire pressure
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Thanks for your input guys. I did check my psi and stopped by my local tire shop which has a complementary machine that you set to desired psi # and it will even out (add or take out) air depending on how it reads. I have the tires set at 36psi fronts and 39 rears according to door and gas cap stickers. Lmk your thoughts.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
I don’t have much experience with the GTS other than a couple of runs in a friends car, and not at high speeds... lots of twisting... my reference is Porsche / Ferrari, GTS felt great, a bit numb in terms of information but very very planted, actually I was surprised how planted the chassis / tire combo felt, very impressive. I wonder if your camber/caster settings are off ?They do affect steering feel
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by jchochla
Thanks for your input guys. I did check my psi and stopped by my local tire shop which has a complementary machine that you set to desired psi # and it will even out (add or take out) air depending on how it reads. I have the tires set at 36psi fronts and 39 rears according to door and gas cap stickers. Lmk your thoughts.
These are the two stickers you are talking about. These are from my GTC A which has different tires from yours but the sticker is the same if my memory serves me correctly from when I went through this same issue with the GTS I had for two years. Read them carefully. The first one - the fuel filler door says to set at 31/32 psi cold for speeds 149 mph and less! And go up to 36/39 if you're exceeding that up to 168 mph. Are you going above 149 mph? The second one from the driver's door is for extra load and a do not exceed number. Ultimately set it at what feels best, but this subject has been discussed thoroughly before and the consensus was 31/32.

Fuel filler door

Driver's door post
The following 2 users liked this post by California John:
Gojirra99 (07-28-2018), MalibuScott (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 AM

G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by TT255

steering is not electric on amg gt(s) ... it is indeed hydraulic
Wow, I'm really amazed by this fact. Never thought it was hydraulic, given the way it feels
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For those you have done the Academy, and tracked a C43 or C63 on the same day as a GTS, it should have been easy to feel the difference. The C's require noticeably more steering input and feel great. The GT steering is more precise and I would suggest much better, but maybe that is a matter of personal preference. But none of this "feel" discussion should have anything to do with where we started in talking about the feeling of fishtailing related to steering input.

Last edited by Case1906; 01-28-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Yes I have the same problem, Honda Civic drives better!
Old 07-28-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
W123 300CD, R107 560SL, W211 E320
The OP has been setting his tire pressures at 36-39. This is too high particularly when tire heating at speed and pavement temperature is taken into consideration. Actual tire pressures underway are probably a few pounds higher, perhaps in the low 40s.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300 sport
amg its steering

I am having an issue with my steering on my 16 gts . sometimes it does not turn at all while driving. the dealer checked the hydraulic fluid, pump and rack but said everything is fine they cannot figure out what s the issue. any ideas?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by nelsonmanha
I am having an issue with my steering on my 16 gts . sometimes it does not turn at all while driving. the dealer checked the hydraulic fluid, pump and rack but said everything is fine they cannot figure out what s the issue. any ideas?
Sounds like a real dangerous thing. I'd take it back to the dealer again. I would not want to be driving and all of a sudden not be able to steer!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nelsonmanha
When it doesn’t turn while driving, how do you turn? What do you do?
The following users liked this post:
California John (01-29-2019)