Exhaust Button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 PM
ean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Exhaust Button

On my 2016 GT S I have noticed when I active sport mode for the exhaust, the red light illuminates as it should, but after driving for a while the light will go out. Pressing the button after this happens will not re-illuminate the light. The command system does indicate the modes are changing on button presses. Turning the car off and back on seems to correct the issue for a short period of time just not sure if there is an issue with the valves themselves when this happens.

Any one else had this issue?

Also, has anyone had issues with the hood struts? I raised my hood to the 90 degree position and the passenger strut seems to be seized. Had to remove the strut entirely.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Never seen that happen on a hood strut, the exhaust flaps stick after time, not sure if the motors overheat or the flaps themselves bind. We've replaced several exhausts for it, it's a known issue.
The following 4 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
300blackout (06-05-2018), Case1906 (06-05-2018), cyberorth (06-04-2018), ean (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by ean
On my 2016 GT S I have noticed when I active sport mode for the exhaust, the red light illuminates as it should, but after driving for a while the light will go out. Pressing the button after this happens will not re-illuminate the light. The command system does indicate the modes are changing on button presses. Turning the car off and back on seems to correct the issue for a short period of time just not sure if there is an issue with the valves themselves when this happens.

Also, has anyone had issues with the hood struts? I raised my hood to the 90 degree position and the passenger strut seems to be seized. Had to remove the strut entirely.
I just got a 17 AMG GT and I noticed issues with my exhaust button light as well I would push the button and I could hear exhaust get louder but no light when I push button then later on the light was coming on.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by ean

while my older MB’s could do this, my w205 has a latch on the strut that allows for this. It will not do full motion unles that is released. I don’t know about the GT
Old 06-04-2018, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Never seen that happen on a hood strut, the exhaust flaps stick after time, not sure if the motors overheat or the flaps themselves bind. We've replaced several exhausts for it, it's a known issue.
is this a GTs specific or a amg performance exhaust thing available on several models?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
A known issue on GTs? What exactly are you replacing?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by ean

Is the sound of the exhaust quieter or different when the light goes out?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by Case1906
My exhaust still worked just the light did not work for a while
Old 06-05-2018, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ean

ok I checked and the gtr hood struts do extend to 90 and back as expected, but very resistant. Also very scary to try to compress the overextended struts. I felt that I might bend the hood. Phew.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
My sport mode exhaust light stays on. Weird you're having this issue.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
A known issue on GTs? What exactly are you replacing?
The exhaust from the middle connection back. You can't get the motors for the actuators separately at this time.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 PM
ean

C63
It it definitely doing something as I can hear a tone change. I'm just not sure if staying open properly as I feel like there are less pops and what not.

Are less downshift pops normal after driving for a while?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ean
It it definitely doing something as I can hear a tone change. I'm just not sure if staying open properly as I feel like there are less pops and what not.

Are less downshift pops normal after driving for a while?
You mean after the engine is warmed up or after so much mileage on the odometer?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 PM
ean

C63
Originally Posted by surfah
You mean after the engine is warmed up or after so much mileage on the odometer?
After driving 20-30 min vs say 10min
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ean
After driving 20-30 min vs say 10min
My downshift pops stay the same or are marginally louder. Definitely not softer or less frequent.

Last edited by surfah; 06-06-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by ean

This actually happened to me , but for me it triggered a soft code which also reduced the boost and power of the car. Safety procedure ?

I tried changing the electronic actuator but it didnt solve the issue , the flap it self was stuck and because of the exhaust design as a one piece from the Dps to the end , the flaps cant be reached for a fix so the whole exhaust needed to be replaced.

After the replacing the exhaust everything worked perfectly.

This is the code

The following users liked this post:
rt7085 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 AM
ean

C63
Originally Posted by Gts-killer
This actually happened to me , but for me it triggered a soft code which also reduced the boost and power of the car. Safety procedure ?

I tried changing the electronic actuator but it didnt solve the issue , the flap it self was stuck and because of the exhaust design as a one piece from the Dps to the end , the flaps cant be reached for a fix so the whole exhaust needed to be replaced.

After the replacing the exhaust everything worked perfectly.

This is the code

Thanks for the information! Couple of followup questions:

Did the CEL actually come on? How did you know the car was in reduced performance?

Would your red exhaust light come on initially? Did the command system report that the exhaust was in S+ even when the button light wasn't responding?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 AM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by ean
Thanks for the information! Couple of followup questions:

Did the CEL actually come on? How did you know the car was in reduced performance?

Would your red exhaust light come on initially? Did the command system report that the exhaust was in S+ even when the button light wasn't responding?
No Cel , and tbh at the beginning i just felt it the car was too slow but to make sure i used a performance box to calculate the acceleration and it was way worse than usual so i figured out that something was wrong.

Went to my mechanic to check the ecu for codes and found this soft code with xentry scan device.

and regarding the light on the button somtimes it turn on for a bit and the command system report it properly but after sometime the light goes off again and the command system doesnt show the current status as the picture I attached previously.

Took it to my dealer to confirm and got a new exhaust all went back to normal.

if your car is still on warrenty have it fixed in the dealer they will change it for you , or it will be a pricy fix i payed 5,000$ For a new exhaust with labor.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1

No Cel , and tbh at the beginning i just felt it the car was too slow but to make sure i used a performance box to calculate the acceleration and it was way worse than usual so i figured out that something was wrong.

Went to my mechanic to check the ecu for codes and found this soft code with xentry scan device.

and regarding the light on the button somtimes it turn on for a bit and the command system report it properly but after sometime the light goes off again and the command system doesnt show the current status as the picture I attached previously.

if your car is still on warrenty have it fixed in the dealer they will change it for you , or it will be a pricy fix i payed 5,000$ For a new exhaust with labor.
Are you outside of warranty?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 PM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by 300blackout
Are you outside of warranty?

I still have dealer limited warrenty (engine and gear)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1

I still have dealer limited warrenty (engine and gear)
My car's exhaust muffler was replaced twice already. If this happens to me outside of warranty I think I will just go with an aftermarket system without the valve. I think this valve will be a common problem for owners later on.

In fact I'm itching for this IPE titanium exhaust. I ran an IPE exhaust on my Ducati 999R and that thing sounded like a beast!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BE...8AAOSwak5Z2Me2
Old 06-17-2018, 05:22 PM
ean

C63

Based on your feedback I checked my information screen and the exhaust status reads the same as yours. What is weird is that if I look through the dynamic select settings on the main command screen it shows it changing.

The car does feel slower at times, what sort of performance number difference did you notice?

Time to go to the dealer I suppose.

Name:  AaT1LBZ.png
Views: 599
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by 300blackout
My car's exhaust muffler was replaced twice already. If this happens to me outside of warranty I think I will just go with an aftermarket system without the valve. I think this valve will be a common problem for owners later on.

In fact I'm itching for this IPE titanium exhaust. I ran an IPE exhaust on my Ducati 999R and that thing sounded like a beast!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BE...8AAOSwak5Z2Me2

This is my third time replacing the muffler too , getting another exhaust is the way to go , im having catless dps thats why i dont need extra loud exauhst and i need the capability to shut the car sound when im having a headache. Thats why i went with the oem again , i prefer using oem consle button.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 PM

AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by ean
Based on your feedback I checked my information screen and the exhaust status reads the same as yours. What is weird is that if I look through the dynamic select settings on the main command screen it shows it changing.

The car does feel slower at times, what sort of performance number difference did you notice?

Time to go to the dealer I suppose.

The car went from 0-60 in 3.7 to somthing like 4.5 its way slower you should be noticing it. As if it switched to limp mode or other safety map , without giving you any indicator of that.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Did the techs explain why is this happening again and again? These are pretty much brand new cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Button