Anyone using a Foam Cannon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Anyone using a Foam Cannon?

Does anyone wash and clean their cars religiously? Mine is garage kept; I wipe it down with quick detail spray every couple of days. I tend to use EcH2O waterless wash.
ive used two bucket system when water washing.

Ive seen people use foam cannons. It looks like fun but is it worth using? I’d have to fire up the Pressure washer and deal with the noise .

Besides, can i use a pressure washer with PPF?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
I use a foam cannon with PPF, no problem. Just don't put on a direct beam nozzle and spray an inch away from the car. Common sense will work great.

However, I don't wash my car but every few months, as hooking everything up is a pain. I just drive a super dirty car with full PPF. So I know I'm not doing any damage by not washing it.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Actually there are foam sprayer cannons that come with a quick release sprayer and attach to your hose and don’t need a pressure washer.

I use one every couple of weeks with a good car wash soap in the foamer container.
I added quick release fittings on the faucet, hose and foamer. So setting up and cleaning up is real quick and easy.
I also use a microfiber wash applicator on a pole. This is what the pro’s use and it makes quick work of the task at hand.

I have a micro soft brush on a handle that will get between the wheel spokes and do the tires as well.

I use my gas powered leaf blower to remove most of the heavy water and then microfiber dry as needed.

It’s faster and fewer towels are needed.

On those occasions when I need a pro detail I’ll go to a friend who is in the business and actually did my Xcel wrap and ceramic coating.

Last edited by JSwan724; 06-26-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks . I like keeping my car clean. Just looking for the fastest way possible.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
For me the fastest way to keep my car clean is to use a mobil car wash/detail service. A young entrepreneur who does a fantastic job for $35. Uses a foam cannon; takes meticulous care of the wheels; wipes the car down and then uses a detail spray. I then just hit the car with the same spray whenever it gets dusty. lol

Bish
Old 06-25-2018, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

$35??? That’s it?!!!
Id give him twice that if it looks great. Certainly time is money and you’re getting away cheap . Good for you.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 4matic coupe / 2015 GLK 250 BT / 2008 F250 Diesel / 2002 Focus SVT
While I don’t own an AMG GT, I use a car wash foam gun (Tornador) and love the results. I find I use a little more soap but I get better results with the wash. Also, I use less water (good when using a DI water filter). I use a bucket of fresh water to rinse the wash mitt only.

if you are having issues with water spots or have hard water, check into a DI filter. It was the best auto detailing investment I have made,

Good luck with your detailing. I think the AMG GT is one of the sexiest cars and it is nice to know some owners do their own detailing.

OJ

If interested, my auto wash / detailing kit consists of this;

· CR Spotless Deionizing Water Filter system (We have very hard water – well)

· Tornador Z-001 foam gun – with air compressor

· Meguiars professional products

· D111 Shampoo (car wash)

· D156 Synthetic Spray Wax

· D155 Last Touch Detailer spray

· D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate

· D143 Non-acid wheel & tire cleaner

· M40 Vinyl & Rubber cleaner conditioner

· D101 All-purpose cleaner

· D149 Quik Interior detailer

· D30116 DA microfiber finishing wax

· DMF6 Microfiber finishing disc

· MT300 Dual action polisher

· X2020 Microfibers (paint)

· C2000 Detailing clay

· Pinnacle Black Label hide & soft leather conditioner (used on my King Ranch Leather, haven’t used yet on my MB leather)

· Various microfibers, wash mits, brushes, etc
The following 2 users liked this post by a64armt:
Case1906 (06-26-2018), thebishman (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by thecutter64
$35??? That’s it?!!!
Id give him twice that if it looks great. Certainly time is money and you’re getting away cheap . Good for you.
He even charges me the same when I have him wash it after a track weekend. He’s a high school senior that runs an auto detailing business part time. Does a great job.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
$35??? That’s it?!!!
If he uses fresh microfiber microfiber mitt and towels for each car, then great. Otherwise, bad idea, unless you like swirls in your paint.

I have PPF and use a Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer with their foam cannon attachment. It's great and easy to use - and pretty fun. If the car is pretty clean, then rinse - foam cannon - rinse is good enough. If it has been 2 weeks, I have rain spots, bird droppings or anything, I foam cannon and soap with my mitt.

I use Chemical Guys products for everything. Their Carbon Flex products are great for PPF and the Clearplex on my windshield. I'd be happy to list out all the products I use to keep my car looking perfect, if anyone is interested.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BucsFan
If he uses fresh microfiber microfiber mitt and towels for each car, then great. Otherwise, bad idea, unless you like swirls in your paint.

I have PPF and use a Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer with their foam cannon attachment. It's great and easy to use - and pretty fun. If the car is pretty clean, then rinse - foam cannon - rinse is good enough. If it has been 2 weeks, I have rain spots, bird droppings or anything, I foam cannon and soap with my mitt.

I use Chemical Guys products for everything. Their Carbon Flex products are great for PPF and the Clearplex on my windshield. I'd be happy to list out all the products I use to keep my car looking perfect, if anyone is interested.
I’ve been using Carpro Reload. I tried some chemical guys stuff. I’m interested in what you use and any positives or negatives
Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
I know I'm despised around here but I have some relevant info if you want it.

I recently got a Sun Joe SPX3200. It's just like the SPX3000 only smaller and more portable. But same motor. 2,000 PSI or so (max), 1400 PSI or so (operating), and 1.76 GPM. The PSI isn't as important as the flow rate (GPM) when it comes to using a foam cannon. You want the highest GPM you can get within reason, in order to get lots of foam. The MTM cannon website has a chart where you can look up your pressure washer's PSI and flow rate and see what size orifice you need in the foam cannon to get good results. And if you're using an electric pressure washer, which are nicer than many gas powered ones because electric ones shut off (and stay quiet) when you aren't squeezing the trigger, which is great for noise. Anyway, if you use an electric unit, make sure you foam cannon has a smaller orifice in order to compensate for the reduced pressure and flow rate. For example, I'm using the MTM PF22 and it comes with two different orifices. One for higher-powered motors and one for typical electric pressure washers that measures 1.1mm. This helps the foam cannon create more foam. Works great. I'm using Adam's Ultra Foam soap. Literally one squeeze of the bottle (about 1 ounce) of soap and the rest water inside the foam cannon bottle and I can cover the entire car in thick, shaving cream-like foam.

My car has Suntek PPF and using the 40-degree nozzle on the pressure washer is fine. Car is also ceramic coated. So far, all the dirt and bugs and debris comes right off with 100% touchless wash. No buckets. No wash mitts to deal with. Managing the hoses is a pain in the *** though.

Oh, I also have a small, portable water de-ionizer (Simple Chuck's Double Chuck, from CR Spotless), which takes all the minerals out of the water. So no water spots when drying. Although if I did it again, I'd probably get the Pro 50 from RV Transformers as it's a bit smaller and seems to do the same thing.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 06-26-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
SLS AMG BS, G63, GT-R and others.
Originally Posted by a64armt

· CR Spotless Deionizing Water Filter system (We have very hard water – well)

How well does the CR system work? I use a SpotZero on our boat and it works perfect. It drops down the PPM to 4. But it's big and bulky and expensive and really drops the water pressure. I've been towing with the idea of having it fill a 55 gallon drum then using a high flow pump.

Chip-
Old 06-26-2018, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks FourT6and 2
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Originally Posted by RuckIt
How well does the CR system work? I use a SpotZero on our boat and it works perfect. It drops down the PPM to 4. But it's big and bulky and expensive and really drops the water pressure. I've been towing with the idea of having it fill a 55 gallon drum then using a high flow pump.

Chip-
The Double Chuck (from CR Spotless) that I have works. I haven't measured the before/after PPM, but the water on the car dries on it's own. And doesn't leave spots. So it does what it says it does.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

He only uses clean microfiber cloths.

My whole car is covered in Xpel Stealth.

I only have him use the specific matte paint products from The Chemical Guys.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RuckIt

Chip-
i have the smaller dual filter system and it works great. I get about 3-4 (5-6 if I let the PPM go over 20) washes on a single resin exchange. However, it can get expensive. Still, I won’t wash my car without it. New resin will take the PPM down to 0, but it climbs once you use the water. I buy resin in bulk. There is a difference in resin too. I thought I would go cheap and buy resin from Culligan (local) and it did not work. We have a DI system at work for my team’s batch cleaner (CCA rework) and that system is much better, but it costs about $4000 and $500 to service the resin in the 4 tanks.

The reduced flow is good for the effectiveneee of the resin. The system MFG recommends a pressure washer, but I haven’t gone that far.

Still, I can wash my black car or truck in direct sun and experience no spots as long as the PPM is below 20. 20-40PPM I will need to towel dry. Our well water is horrible, so if you are on a decent water source your results will be better.

OJ
Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM

My daughter uses Chemical Guys products and swears by them. She keeps her car detailed and their products make her white Jetta looks quite good.

OJ
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
+1 on Chemical Guys products.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)

I’ve been using Carpro Reload. I tried some chemical guys stuff. I’m interested in what you use and any positives or negatives
Cutter,

I have only used Chemical Guys so I can't really compare to other products, but my car looks perfect and feels great. My car is metallic black with Xpel PPF and Kamikaze ceramic coatings. I also have a Clearplex film on my windshield. I selected Chemical Guys products suited to these surfaces. Here is what I have (CG products in Bold):

Pressure washer is Sun Joe SPX 3000.
My foam cannon is TORQ Snow Foamer. It's nice since you can vary the spray angle. Other foam cannons may do that, I don't know. I also got a spare bottle that I use just for water to rinse the foam cannon mechanism when I finish. I regret not getting the Big Mouth since it would be easier to rinse and less messy to pour in soap.

Wheels & Tires:
Dedicated bucket w/ dirt trap.
Diablo wheel cleaner (the suds die down quickly, so I hit the bucket with the pressure washer as needed).
Brushes are Easy Reach Wheel and Rim (also good for the tail pipes) and the Long Handle Body and Wheel brush.
To shine the tires I use Extreme Shine. It's just ok. This bottle is almost done, then I will switch to V07. To apply, I use the Durafoam Contoured Large Tire Dressing Applicator.

Washing the car:
2 bucket technique, as I assume everyone does.
Carbon Flex Vitalize Wash in both the foam cannon and my bucket.
Chenille Microfiber mitt for washing.
After drying the car, I spray and wipe Carbon Flex Vitalize Spray Sealant to extend the life of my ceramic coat and PPF. It gives the car a really smooth feel. I also use this on the windshield with Clearplex.

Other:
Glass Only for all the glass (except the outside of the windshield).
Inner Clean for interior surfaces.
Waterless Car Wash for quick touch ups if there are bird droppings, etc.
Leather Quick Detailer. I haven't needed to use it yet since my leather is still perfect. I will get a conditioner at some point.
Various microfiber towels, including Cloud 9 extra large, various edgeless, etc. Different colors for different uses. Be sure to rip off any tags so they don't create paint swirls.

I keep the car garaged and work from my home office, and still detail the car every 1-2 weeks to keep it looking perfect inside and out. I assume that other products would give a similar result, but I am very happy with Chemical Guys. Also, I did have one issue on an order and their customer support was great.

I hope this is helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by BucsFan:
JSwan724 (06-27-2018), thebishman (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Bucsfan for the info and for taking the time to write it up.
The following users liked this post:
BucsFan (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I like driving a dirty GT. It shows character. And that I use the damn thing and don't coddle it.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
I like driving a dirty GT. It shows character. And that I use the damn thing and don't coddle it.
my SUV is dirty. I drive my GTS . But I love it spotless and shiny . That’s the difference between surgeons and lawyers.
The following users liked this post:
California John (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 01:34 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster

my SUV is dirty. I drive my GTS . But I love it spotless and shiny . That’s the difference between surgeons and lawyers.
That's funny because my Audi SQ5 is spotless. (Also dark blue, like the GT.)

The reason? I'm too old to wash them myself. I can put the Audi through the local car wash but the GT needs hand washing in situ. I only have that done every three weeks, whether it needs it or not. (It always needs it.)