Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock hit the windshield and cracked it!!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Corvette Z06
Rock hit the windshield and cracked it!!

Bummer...now I have a quarter size chip that looks ugly.

Any advice or experience on getting the windshield replaced?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Welcome to the club. Sorry to hear.
i have a thread on the PL about this. Mainly look at protective film options to minimize chance of reoccurrence.

Last edited by cyberorth; 06-28-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I replace my windshield for crack I got at mile 82!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Well it’s a hell of a small windshield it shouldn’t be that much.Chubb gives free glass. I’m starting to get the small galaxy on mine.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
After it's replaced, and I would go through the MB dealer for warranty purposes, get the new windshield covered by www.clearplex.com

Bish
Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM

Corvette Z06
Thank you all for the good advice! I just chatted with my SM and he said they use this service
http://www.ctpc.com/products/resista...ld-protection/
Which he wasn't sure how they work since it's not a film just some protective coating (wax like) but they do warranty if there is a chip or crack they will replace the windshield.

@AMG 17GT: what is .Chubb gives free glass.?

@cyberorth: i have a thread on the PL about this. What is PL? can you send me a link of the thread pls?

From the top of his head he quoted $2500 for the windshield installed. That is factory and not aftermarket.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
$2500 for windshield replacement? Yikes
Old 06-28-2018, 03:02 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by surfah
$2500 for windshield replacement? Yikes

I know......but the good news is I just spoke to my insurance and they will cover it for $100 deductible.
The following users liked this post:
mrmotoguzzi00 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by GTSEdition1
I know......but the good news is I just spoke to my insurance and they will cover it for $100 deductible.
Good news that it’s covered by insurance. That has to be one of the most expensive replacement costs for a windshield I’ve ever seen!

Btw: no ‘ceramic’ coating or other such product is going to provide the protection offered by ‘Clearplex’ which is an optically clear form of PPF.

Bish
Old 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by thebishman

Good news that it’s covered by insurance. That has to be one of the most expensive replacement costs for a windshield I’ve ever seen!

Btw: no ‘ceramic’ coating or other such product is going to provide the protection offered by ‘Clearplex’ which is an optically clear form of PPF.

Bish

I totally agree with you Bish but the fact that they would cover replacement cost just blows my mind. My Mercedes dealer is backing it up so I am sure they have worked with them over time.

I looked into the clearplex thing and that seems more reasonable.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Deductibles are usually one to $400 on windshields but yes chubb gives free replacement.About five years ago I had my CL 63’s windshield replaced and Mercedes had dropped there windshield prices in half as they were farming out the window service and having a lot of problems from the dealership on the referral. Anyway good that you had your company replace it for hundred dollars who is your insurance company ?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:47 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Deductibles are usually one to $400 on windshields but yes chubb gives free replacement.About five years ago I had my CL 63’s windshield replaced and Mercedes had dropped there windshield prices in half as they were farming out the window service and having a lot of problems from the dealership on the referral. Anyway good that you had your company replace it for hundred dollars who is your insurance company ?
Farmers.

Who is Chubb, excuse my ignorance
Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Farmers.

Who is Chubb, excuse my ignorance
They provide all kinds of insurance. I have them on house, cars, and a REAL umbrella. They are very progressive in a lot of respects.

Farmers is is one of my favorites, but they limit coverage to 500k on injury claims.
GTSEdition1 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 PM

Sweet!
GTSEdition1 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 PM

Corvette Z06
The only caveat now is that the dealer I usually take my car to wouldn't make insurance claim due to some bad experience in the past.

The actual quote came out to be around $2000 with installation and Farmers is only willing to pay $8xx, I would have to pay the rest out of my pocket if I want to use my MB dealer, mind you they also call a third party for installation.

Farmers has recommended another "in network" shop called safelite Auto glass, that would install OEM windshield and just charge me the $100 deductible. I guess I will call go with them.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
The only caveat now is that the dealer I usually take my car to wouldn't make insurance claim due to some bad experience in the past.

The actual quote came out to be around $2000 with installation and Farmers is only willing to pay $8xx, I would have to pay the rest out of my pocket if I want to use my MB dealer, mind you they also call a third party for installation.

Farmers has recommended another "in network" shop called safelite Auto glass, that would install OEM windshield and just charge me the $100 deductible. I guess I will call go with them.

I went through this last year with my wife’s 24hr old MB GLC. On her way to work the day after getting her new ride, a rock broke the windshield.

Fast forward and her story is the same.

Here’s what my research turned up;

- Most all major insurance companies have outsourced their glass work to safelight.
- It turns out that MB glass including windshields is made in the US .....Ohio I think.
- MB, most US based foreign car, most US dealers and Safelight get their US glass from this manufacturer.
- The windshields are made to the car manufacturers specifications and stamped with the appropriate logos and inventory numbers.

YOUR OFFICIAL MB WINDSHIELD SHOULD BE ORDERED USING YOUR VIN NUMBER. DO NOT use any part number etched on the existing windshield glass.
The difference in price is primarily the labor rate- - dealer and Safelight.

SUGGESTED PROCESS:
You can request that Safelight install the windshield at your dealer—-usually the parking lot. WHY you ask? So the dealer can reconfigure the electronics embedded in the new windshield. (remember VIN number driven). THIS will cost extra and be paid directly to the dealer.

1. Make a morning appointment with Safelight to install the windshield at your dealer.
2. Make a mid morning appointment with your MB dealer.
3. Have the Safelight installer see your service writer to get the key fob and do the install.
4. When he is done let the MB service writer know so he can turn it over to the MB tech to align/reconfigure the windshield electronics to complete the job.

You get a dealer demo to drive since billable work is being done at the dealer.

I hope this helps anyone who is unfortunate enough to have to go through this.

Regards.

Last edited by JSwan724; 06-28-2018 at 08:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSwan724:
Case1906 (09-02-2022), fosterd (08-23-2021)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:00 AM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by JSwan724

I went through this last year with my wife’s 24hr old MB GLC. On her way to work the day after getting her new ride, a rock broke the windshield.

Fast forward and her story is the same.

Here’s what my research turned up;

- Most all major insurance companies have outsourced their glass work to safelight.
- It turns out that MB glass including windshields is made in the US .....Ohio I think.
- MB, most US based foreign car, most US dealers and Safelight get their US glass from this manufacturer.
- The windshields are made to the car manufacturers specifications and stamped with the appropriate logos and inventory numbers.

YOUR OFFICIAL MB WINDSHIELD SHOULD BE ORDERED USING YOUR VIN NUMBER. DO NOT use any part number etched on the existing windshield glass.
The difference in price is primarily the labor rate- - dealer and Safelight.

SUGGESTED PROCESS:
You can request that Safelight install the windshield at your dealer—-usually the parking lot. WHY you ask? So the dealer can reconfigure the electronics embedded in the new windshield. (remember VIN number driven). THIS will cost extra and be paid directly to the dealer.

1. Make a morning appointment with Safelight to install the windshield at your dealer.
2. Make a mid morning appointment with your MB dealer.
3. Have the Safelight installer see your service writer to get the key fob and do the install.
4. When he is done let the MB service writer know so he can turn it over to the MB tech to align/reconfigure the windshield electronics to complete the job.

You get a dealer demo to drive since billable work is being done at the dealer.

I hope this helps anyone who is unfortunate enough to have to go through this.

Regards.

Thanks for the great advice!

The safelight said they won't come out to do this job as it requires "recalibration" which they would do at their facility. So maybe they have started doing that in-house instead of the dealer?
But I will double check with my dealership. Though I don't think I would be able to get a loaner as my dealership doesn't deal with insurance and my insurance would directly pay to safelight.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by thebishman

Bish
My i8 windshield was damaged by a rock and cost something like $3200 to replace. Insurance picked up all but the deductible. The i8 windshield is very thin and also accomodates HUD so it was expensive. (One of the aftermarket companies quoted me around $1300, but it told me it would be 10 days before it had the windshield in stock.)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Thanks for the great advice!

The safelight said they won't come out to do this job as it requires "recalibration" which they would do at their facility. So maybe they have started doing that in-house instead of the dealer?
But I will double check with my dealership. Though I don't think I would be able to get a loaner as my dealership doesn't deal with insurance and my insurance would directly pay to safelight.
Thats BS!! They want the additional revenue. Tell them your car is under warranty and only the MB dealer can do it. Get Safelight to come to the dealer to do the replacement. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER so it’s your choice. IF the dealer writes a ticket to do the recalibration you can get a loaner.

Last edited by JSwan724; 06-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I had the same thing said to me about the i8 windshield replacement. Not only would it be 10 days before Safelite got the windshield, but I had to bring it to them to get it done.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://mbworld.org/forums/members/3...nystyle02.html is a member here and he had to re-replace his windshield twice because safelight was not able to align it correctly. He got it done at dealer eventually. In under two years he went through 4 replacement. Don’t assume that insurance will continue to replace glass multiple times.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Hate to hijack a thread but my daughters CLA is coming off lease and she just got a tiny chip with linear crack running for an inch. Her state inspection was just done.
Do i have it replaced before turning it in? What about the rain sensors and all the stickers? Are they transferred?
Do I let MB do it after return or call a Safelight franchise?
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM

I don't usually lease but I would turn it in first and see what MB says. I understand that certain defects are allowed within limits. For example a one inch scratch on a wheel may be OK while a 6 inch scratch is not. If they require a fix then contact your insurance company.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:14 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by cyberorth
https://mbworld.org/forums/members/3...nystyle02.html is a member here and he had to re-replace his windshield twice because safelight was not able to align it correctly. He got it done at dealer eventually. In under two years he went through 4 replacement. Don’t assume that insurance will continue to replace glass multiple times.

Thank you for posting this! I was very double minded after reading the reviews of safelight in my area and didn't want to take my car there. Luckily my insurance agent called and I shared the concern with her. She agreed becuase they have had the same experience with safelight and they prefer a different glass company which refused to work on this car. But the regional office of the insurance company was pushing me to go to safelight. Long story short, my insurance agent is going to get an estimate from the dealer and pay them in advance as they mentioned earlier they don't work with insurance companies.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by JSwan724

Thats BS!! They want the additional revenue. Tell them your car is under warranty and only the MB dealer can do it. Get Safelight to come to the dealer to do the replacement. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER so it’s your choice. IF the dealer writes a ticket to do the recalibration you can get a loaner.

Thanks, i appreciate the advice! if the agent wouldn't be able to figure out a way to pay the dealer I will definitely go this route!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rock hit the windshield and cracked it!!