Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
Gt 4 door
Went to Petit Lemans at road Atlanta today and saw the GT 4 door. Let me be clear .......it’s a big fat PASS.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I am not sure why AMG staff is passing the GT 4 door as part of the GT family. Which it is really only by name...
That said, to thecutter64, in Sport+ mode the E63s with performance seats rides a touch harder than the GTC or the GTS (the GTS ED1 felt stiffer than either IMO). Either way, none of these cars are long distance cruisers.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
Long distance?

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I am not sure why AMG staff is passing the GT 4 door as part of the GT family. Which it is really only by name...
That said, to thecutter64, in Sport+ mode the E63s with performance seats rides a touch harder than the GTC or the GTS (the GTS ED1 felt stiffer than either IMO). Either way, none of these cars are long distance cruisers.
My 2014 E63S was quite comfortable on a 785 mile trip from Seattle to the SF Bay Area. Wife and I are both 65 and in fair shape. She only complained a few times the torque gave her a headache...
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy
My 2014 E63S was quite comfortable on a 785 mile trip from Seattle to the SF Bay Area. Wife and I are both 65 and in fair shape. She only complained a few times the torque gave her a headache...
That could be. My only reference is the 2018 W213 E63s and I have only driven a NA W212 for a test drive...
Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
I’ll weigh in w a Seattle perspective :

With all the rain up here you really don’t get a chance to enjoy the GTS , atleast I didn’t because June-August is the only time of year you can count on consistent dry weather. With all that power and only two wheels pulling you have to practice constant restraint. I traded and upgraded to an R8 V10 plus and can enjoy it a lot more because it’s AWD. I would also get a white or charcoal/grayish color regardless of what car you pick because the rain spots won’t be as visible on the paint when your car actually drys lol. Do not get black unless you are willing to wash it 2x per week or never drive it in the rain.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Hi all,

Here is another perspective on the choice between the W213 E63 AMGS and GT-S.

Summary: E63 AMG-S is a super sports sedan; AMG GT-S is a sports/close to a race car.

Details:

After driving both of these vehicles back-to-back over in Germany on various Autobahns, city streets, back roads and through a portion of the Black Forest, the E63 is an absolute Autobahn God/Goddess! The power is intoxicating and you will have trouble finding anything to challenge you...especially running 200 KM/hr and up. The GT-S is a sports/race car that quite literally "goes where you point the steering wheel" while accelerating and under braking at ALL speeds.

A case in point, on the A3 and A61/67 between Mainz and Cologne, the unrestricted portions of the Autobahn get a bit twisty between 250-290 km/hr. In the E63, the corners felt more like a tight corner; the car was grounded but not entirely flat. In the GT-S, those corners did not feel like corners. They felt more like "kinks" that only required a quick flick of the steering wheel. Think turn 1 at the new Silverstone track where the F1 cars take the right hander flat in the current chassis.
The biggest dynamic difference I found was under braking. Both cars pull over 1.5 Gs under braking. While braking around a few corners due to people coming into the left lane or the restricted portion of the Autobahn coming around a corner (for those that don't know, there are speed limits on the Autobahn and there are no reduced speed ahead signs. The limit goes from unrestricted to 130 KM/hr instantly) the E63 is a bit unsettled when braking from 300 KM/hr to 130 KM/hr. It becomes a bit floaty and physics takes over with the car wanting to drift to the outside of your turn/understeer was rather pronounced with high speed corners requiring braking. One has to over compensate a little bit to keep the vehicle turning in the direction one wants to go. The GT-S quite literally just turns and continues to turn in the direction of your corner. It is quite a different feeling!!! In fact, the first time I drove the GT-S through the same set of corners, I over compensated a bit coming out of the E63 and the wife said, "Uhm, let's not hit the barrier please! There is no understeer under braking!" 🙂 On a back road from Heidelberg to Königstuhl, the GT-S shines! As Randy Pobst said during the Motortrend 2016 Best Driver's car testing, with the Electronic Differential, it feels like the car has downforce in the rear. The way the power gets put down is quite amazing. With the TC off, the car is truly a rocket and is on rails in corners. It is VERY impressive!

Where the E63 AMG-S shines is at high speeds. The E continues to pull all the way to the limiter. It is very strong above 200 KM/hr. The GT-S runs out of breath/power at 270 KM/hr. However, this makes sense as the car only has the 515-530 HP vs the E63's 612-650+ HP. The amount of time it takes to get to 300 KM/hr in the E63 is mind blowing...we timed it at around 22 seconds (using Aral 102 RON for that run and all other runs). The GT-S struggles to climb to 290 KM/hr. However, I am sure a tune from either Renntech or Eurocharged would resolve the high-end speed issue.

Last piece, as I know this post is getting long, the seats in the GT-S were much more comfortable than the E63 AMG-S. We were a bit amazed at the comfort level. The GT-S seats really hug your body more and one is sitting lower in the car. The side bolsters truly hold you in place especially going through some high speed corners.

So, for me, I drove the E63 and called my sales rep back in the states and put in an order for an E63 AMG-S. After I drove the GT-S, I called back and said let's change that order to a GT-C. 🙂 I'm hoping the 550 HP (577 HP if you look at the Renntech dunk chart) makes the top end better/stronger. I'm sure a tune on the GT will turn it into a monster!

OP and others debating on what to get - Good luck with the purchase. If you get the chance, drive both back to back and that will make your decision much easier.

-C
The following 4 users liked this post by chris135b:
BucsFan (10-15-2018), California John (10-16-2018), MalibuScott (10-16-2018), ronin amg (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
With the OE one on both my E63s wagon and AMG GTS I honestly can't think of any other car I would want..