17 AMG GTS VS BMW I8 VS 911 BASE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 C43 AMG, 16 911 Black Edition
Exclamation 17 AMG GTS VS BMW I8 VS 911 BASE

Hello everyone,

I've been researching & watching videos for weeks now and simply cannot make up my mind. I currently drive a 2016 Porsche 911 Black Edition. The black edition is nothing fancy like it is with the Mercedes line-up, it was just a package offered on the last year of the naturally aspirated 911's where you got a whole bunch of options (essentially fully loading the car) for a cut price. I've grown tired of the car, it's very uncomfortable and I don't get enough straight line power out of it which is all I need for the occasional street use. I don't track my cars so I cannot fully appreciate a 911. I'm also not happy with the fact that the car doesn't have that wide body super car look for the money I've paid.

Bottom line - I'm looking to trade it in. I've had some mixed opinions on going with either an i8 or a 17 AMG GTS. Somewhere in between I'm also considering just keeping my 911. Both are lightly preowned below 9,000km. The performance of the AMG GTS is outstanding, I've just gotten a lot of mixed opinions from family and friends on the look of the car. Whereas the i8 didn't impress me as much performance wise, given the lack of noise and it loses all its kick once you pass 100kmph lol. However, the looks are gorgeous, and everyone I've asked seems to agree without question.

I'm having a difficult time choosing, just wanted some more opinions!
thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
I had an i8 prior to the AMG GTS, two very different cars but the Merc is superior in every way. Better looking too IMO. Both driven daily, the i8 has a much more lighter/playful feel but its not nearly as fast. The Merc has a heavier, more "mechanical" feel. The interior of the Merc is much more luxurious. Get the AMG , you wont be sorry.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Sounds like you already have a sport car. If you don’t get enough from street driving, there is a reason . It’s called a Speed Limit.

Take the car to a track or wide open roads. Otherwise, all the cars will be underused.

The GTS is nice. Interior is nice but far from plush. If you want plush interior , comfort and ***** out speed occasionally get a E63s.

Otherwise, stick with what you have. And don’t ask your family their opinion. They don’t know what YOU want not NEED.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
I had a 991.1 almost fully loaded, before I purchased the AMG GT and for me the AMG is much more comfortable more powerful car and a lot more fun to drive. But obviously this is a decision u alone will have to make. If u have not already go to a dealer and take the GT for a nice long ride then see how u feel I new right away
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
The i8 is a pretty car but seems grossly underpowered for a $150-175K sports car. Could you live with the doors on a day to day basis?

Not sure why the 911 is uncomfortable for you. I put 8000 miles on my GT3 the last 2 years and it has a rougher ride than a Carrera. I get what you mean about straight line power, the torque on my GTS is much more fun on the street than my GT3 which one needs to wind up to high rpms to get meaningful acceleration. Yo're breaking the speed limit and still in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Maybe you'd like the 911 GTS better for the wide body? Maybe a turbo 911 would provide the straight line speed you desire on the street?

Sounds like your 911 is fairly loaded. Test drive the GTS and see if it moves you. This would be tough to do on a short drive, best if you have a friend or acquaintance who owns one so you can drive one for an hour or longer. As a daily driver, I like my GTS better than my GT3 but the 911 is so versatile and yours offers back seats.

Hope you make the right choice and don't have buyers remorse. Don't worry so much about what others think, make the decision based on what moves you or you'll regret it.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by MIKEAMG94
The performance of the AMG GTS is outstanding, I've just gotten a lot of mixed opinions from family and friends on the look of the car.
You need to get some new family and friends.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I had an i8 for three years. Got mine in November 2014. The car was a novelty at first, but it wore off. I agree with Imgoinplaces that the GT is superior in every way. (I have the entry level GT. At my age 469 HP is sufficient.)

The i8 doors get really old after a while -- epsecially if you're old. I am (73 next month). The GT is just a pleasure.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by sneezix
You need to get some new family and friends.
This made me laugh. Ultimately my family and friends opinions will influence my decision very little, just a talking point to mention that almost everyone I've asked likes the i8. I don't think it's necessarily nicer, I just think its peoples first reaction due to the fact that it's so different & futuristic.
The AMG GTS also looks a lot better in person. You do not get a true idea of the proportions of this car and how big and impressive it looks until you see it in person.

All your opinions are very valuable, and thank you. Ultimately though, making this thread sort of answered my question for me . I came to a Mercedes forum asking for car advice, clearly I'm biased towards the GTS.
The only real reason I'm asking is because they're all CPO but the GTS is quite a bit more expensive. My 911 still has tons of warranty, the AMG GTS is a 2017 with under 9000km, and the i8 also has a few years of warranty left as well. Thing is, the GTS is about 20k more than the i8. Brand new they're relatively the same price from my research, just the i8 has seen some pretty steep depreciation. i8 is priced at 119 CAD and the GTS is 139.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
While I was waiting on my GTS (after 9 months, my dealer still did not have an allocation), I did consider the i8, but I was thinking that it was all electric, like the Tesla.
It didn't take much looking into it to decide that it wasn't for me.

I did finally get my GTS, not from the dealer, but from a poster on this forum, and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
AMG GT in any guise is a great car with a lot of substance. i8 is somewhat lacking in this respect, not enough performance and still slightly gimmicky.

Have you looked at R8 v10+? Somewhat of a bargain and a stonking drive!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 PM

Ultimately, I went with the i8. I daily drive these cars all summer, spring & fall. Only in the winter I daily my c43 which I bought outright because I got an amazing deal on it from a client. The guy has so many cars, he was going to trade it in for a Levante for winter because he somehow didn't like it, said give me 40k (canadian dollars) and you can take it. Got it with only 3000km & 2017. In Canada they still go for 50k+ same year etc. and I've owned it for a year already! Even though I don't drive it much, it is worth keeping. Hence, the fact that I already have a Mercedes & I was blown away by the i8 once I drove it, and saw it in white. I think it has more wow factor, even though it definitely under performs for a car that looks that good.

My main issue with the i8 is how ridiculous it is to get into. I'm picking it up Monday & the first thing I'm going to do is park beside another car and practice getting out.

In my final opinion after all this, I can safely say that the AMG GT blew me away in terms of performance and interior/overall quality. It's hands down better than a Carrera S for fun factor (mine is base, but I've driven many S models). The i8 is very different than both cars though. It appealed to me more visually & seems like a car that's better suited for daily 30,000km a year driving (better on fuel, less brakes etc.). I also felt that I was getting a similar car to my 911 by getting the AMG GT, I felt it rides like a lot more of a sports car. Whereas the i8 felt like I could have some fun in it, while also driving it like a 5 series with absolutely no cabin noise.

Anyhow, thanks for all the feedback nonetheless!

Last edited by MIKEAMG94; 07-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-13-2018)