Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about noise and music

Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazda RX-8
Question about noise and music

Hello Guys
I am seriously looking at this car (AMG GT) as potential daily driver but one of the things that concern me is that since this car would be used as a DD, I need some creature comforts as well and in my case music is one of those. My commute is about 30 minutes mornings and about 45 minutes afternoons. I will say about 80% is highway although most of the speed in the highway is about 50 mph due to traffic. Because of the relative long commute I like to listen to music so car noise is of a relative concern to me.
Any comments from people that are in a similar situation? Of course I am going to do a test drive but I am afraid that taking a car for a very short test drive might not reveal the long term commitment that this car might impose in that area.
BTW, I also read that the new models can be much smoother than the early ones. Also my budget will allow for a GT or GTS but I am more inclined to get the GT. Again, this car will be used exclusively to take me from home to work and maybe some weekends to take the wife for a spin around town. The other car I am considering is the Panamera (I know very different animals) but I will hate to pass the chance to get a real sports car so it will be a difficult decision.
Thanks for your help and input,
TopQ
Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
My 17 rides very smooth especially after 5k miles. The P4S tires I installed in rear are significantly quiter and smoother as well.

Audio it is about the source first and I use tidal plugged in usb on iPhone with lossless hifi setting. I have base burmester and find it very good although some say the high end Burmester is better, I just couldn’t justify the price and will be installing a JL audio a compact sub in stock location soon.

The Panamara is a whale where the GT is a true sports car/ GT.

My 2.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
For 1.5 hours of daily driving I would lean towards the Panny. The current design is still fugly but improved. You can option the high end audio. You have a more spacious cabin, rear seats and usable trunk space.

I daily my GTS but it is a 45 minute total commute and I deliberately take surface roads for a more interesting commute. I have the high end Burmester and it sounds fantastic using the USB cable. My chest thumps from the base. The clarity is superb. However,the engine is loud. Not the scream of my GT3 or 458 but a deeper growl. When you downshift the pops are loud. You hear the engine in the background.

Can you daily the GTS? Sure. It’s less practical but handles better and is more interesting to drive.

I hate sedans. My wife loves them. I have an SUV when needed.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63s
I have a GTS, and I can't imagine trying to DD it. It COULD be done, but I wouldn't want to (assuming you are talking 2-door). The road noise isn't bad, and the ride is OK. I have the upgraded Burmester audio, and it's the biggest waste of $$ I have ever spent. A VW GTI has a MUCH MUCH MUCH better audio system. I did like the guy above did and installed a powered JL Audio sub in the trunk, which is a must have.

All that said, it could fit your bill depending on what your priorities are. While it isn't designed for your intended use, it might cater to some needs you have that differ from mine. What car is it replacing, and what do you love/hate about the current car?

If it were me and I could only have one car, I would get a new Audi RS7 - HUGE discounts on them now, and they can do almost everything pretty well.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Mazda RX-8
I used to have a 10 minutes commute before but that is history and my commute will not change. Funny about the back roads comment because I do take them from time to time due to accidents in the main highway. Some of those back roads are quite refreshing!!! About the sound source, yes I will use a good quality source for sure, but my main issue was if this car was just too loud to pretend I will be able to listen to music instead of just hearing it, if you guys know what I mean. I know it is a car after all so the audio quality will always be compromise and in the past I would have not made much fuss about it, since most of my previous cars were a little loud, but my wife's Jaguar has show me the pleasures of a quite car so now I am a lot more conscious about road noise and car noise in general.
I do have Honda Pilot, as a second car, that I drive to work once in a while but only when I have to.

TopQ
Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 PM

Seems audio is a big part of your driving experience. I always drive with the exhaust button activated except when taking phone calls. You could always leave it deactivated. The Panny will give an insulated sound environment allowing you to better experience high end audio. With the amount of time you spend driving it’s a tough call. Porsche is reliable, luxurious and sporty. Good choices to have.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Mazda RX-8
My current car is an RX-8. I bought it in 2005 when they came out. It is a fun car to drive. A little underpower at only ~ 230 hp but it is very well balanced due to its great weight distribution and although it has only 80K miles, I think its time has come. I recently moved to my current home that is why the RX-8 has such a low millage. Whatever car I get next, it wont be so lucky :-(
I do enjoy driving so that is why I was looking at the AMG GT as a nice upgrade to my previous car. Also when I say driving I don't mean the track (racing) and I don't see myself doing that any time soon.
I do love the lines of the AMG GT but maybe it is just not the right car for the task I am asking of it although my RX-8 was not the quietest car either but I was looking for something a little more powerful but also a little more refine as a potential upgrade since my commuting time has increased so drastically.
In addition, to add insult to injury, none of the dealers in Raleigh, NC have any of them in stock so I can't even take a look for myself to see what the car looks like and sounds like in person.

TopQ

Originally Posted by spawn350
I have a GTS, and I can't imagine trying to DD it. It COULD be done, but I wouldn't want to (assuming you are talking 2-door). The road noise isn't bad, and the ride is OK. I have the upgraded Burmester audio, and it's the biggest waste of $$ I have ever spent. A VW GTI has a MUCH MUCH MUCH better audio system. I did like the guy above did and installed a powered JL Audio sub in the trunk, which is a must have.

All that said, it could fit your bill depending on what your priorities are. While it isn't designed for your intended use, it might cater to some needs you have that differ from mine. What car is it replacing, and what do you love/hate about the current car?

If it were me and I could only have one car, I would get a new Audi RS7 - HUGE discounts on them now, and they can do almost everything pretty well.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
The sound in my GTS was probably the worst audio system I have had in any car the last 6-7 years . My guess is it’s due to the size of the cabin. Bluetooth audio was a waste of time and it sounded a little better plugged in through the usb. With GT/S in comfort mode you will be able to hear your music but it just won’t sound good in the GT/GTS. Music wasn’t a big deal to me because I loved the sound of the exhaust but if you are looking for top notch sound you will either have to install your own stereo or buy a different car.

Also if you are tall or wide the seats might be a little uncomfortable for a daily driver. If you are considering the Panamera maybe wait for the GT4??
Old 07-15-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
I suspect that the GT will be quiet enough if you leave it in Comfort mode since it t keeps the exhaust flaps closed and the revs lower. My evidence? Whenever my wife is in the car, if I keep it in C mode, she doesn't complain.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
I’ve been just turning up the the music to drown out the engine.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM

Mazda RX-8
Maybe I should wait for the AMG GT63 and see how it compares. I do have to confess that I am a little bias towards two seaters sport cars and the lines of the AMG GT are nicer IMHO :-)

TopQ
Old 07-15-2018, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
If you end up with a GT, get windshield protection like clearplex etc.
I used to commute 3 hours a day in a S2000 in my 30s and loved it. I cant do that today at 47 with a GT. 30 minutes is not really a commute. You wil be fine with any GT. Test drive a current E63s for the hell of it before pulling a trigger.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by thecutter64
I’ve been just turning up the the music to drown out the engine.
Why?
I love the engine sound. Sounds great
Old 07-15-2018, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by cproGT
Why?
I love the engine sound. Sounds great
cutter is just messing around...
Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
I DD my GTS and I can say that when it comes to road noise it has a lot. It is less then my C7 Grand Sport Corvette that that is ubber loud but there is significant road noise. It is a sports car so it comes with the territory, the stereo is fine for my needs and yes I like it loud. may opt for an amp in the future and upgraded speakers. Dont blow $4k on an upgraded Burmister that is a waste. The only thing I dont like about my car is that stupid system that raises the volume of the cars stereo as the noise get louder inside. I have found no way to turn that off, the BOSE in the C7 has it but you could turn it off.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In all seriousness , the cabin is noisy under extreme load. In comfort mode, it is not any worse than any other sport vehicle. With the windows closed , A/C on the road noise is tolerable . The music is loud enough as background music. No one is going to be driving under intense conditions and trying to critically listen to the Nuances of Classical Music.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
you can install sound deadening material in the car and quiet it down alot. I did the same with my 911 s and it made a big difference
Old 07-17-2018, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don’t think that’s necessary at all. Part of the appeal of the car is the aggressive growl . Otherwise drive Prius or a Tesla. No noise at all.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:16 PM

AMG GT
Originally Posted by thecutter64
Don’t think that’s necessary at all. Part of the appeal of the car is the aggressive growl . Otherwise drive Prius or a Tesla. No noise at all.
Could not agree more! I mean these are sports cars. There are many other choices that are quiet and fast.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM

The road noise and engine is integral to the sports car experience. I adore the sound.

However, I can see how it can get old after 1.5 hours of driving everyday, 7.5 hours a week, 30 hours a month. It's up to the OP to decide what sound level is tolerable.

Regarding the upgraded stereo, while I'm sure competent audio shops can do an excellent job upgrading the base stereo to a level far exceeding the high end Burmester, I don't want to Frankenstein my GTS. The idea of someone poking and prodding the speakers and wires is not one I'm comfortable with. Furthermore, at resale it's conceivable a picky buyer may raise issue with an aftermarket stereo. YMMV.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
I owned a Panamera 4S a ways back, and if I was going to buy a sporty sedan (and I have owned 41 Porsche's have 2 now) I would choose either new AMG E class or the new M5 (which can be put RWD or AWD), not the Panamera. Contrary to what Porsche says it is a big fat (and ugly) thing. As you can see I own a bunch of cars and I would not choose most of them if I were in your position OP. I am older but at 5'8" 152lbs and not in bad shape (you need to be flexible to get in and out of a 4C), and the seats in the GTS fit me well. I don't know what size you are OP, but I don't see the cabin in the GT to be an inviting place for some tall or wide. The current 911 is in my opinion a better choice, you can find a very nice one for the same money, and yes I realize this is the MB forum, but take it from someone about to buy his 468th car. I have a lot of experience giving advise to prospective buyers. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:13 AM

AMG GT
Originally Posted by carnut1
I owned a Panamera 4S a ways back, and if I was going to buy a sporty sedan (and I have owned 41 Porsche's have 2 now) I would choose either new AMG E class or the new M5 (which can be put RWD or AWD), not the Panamera. Contrary to what Porsche says it is a big fat (and ugly) thing. As you can see I own a bunch of cars and I would not choose most of them if I were in your position OP. I am older but at 5'8" 152lbs and not in bad shape (you need to be flexible to get in and out of a 4C), and the seats in the GTS fit me well. I don't know what size you are OP, but I don't see the cabin in the GT to be an inviting place for some tall or wide. The current 911 is in my opinion a better choice, you can find a very nice one for the same money, and yes I realize this is the MB forum, but take it from someone about to buy his 468th car. I have a lot of experience giving advise to prospective buyers. Good luck.
Is that a real number 468 cars? what do u own car dealeerships?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
No I am just very, very unusual. Cars are my drug, I must buy at lest one every 3 months. I bought a wild orange 2018 Kia Soul ! last month to go grocery shopping with. This month a GTS. Even my dogs have their own transport. I am fairly well known on different forums (15 years on Ferrarichat as Carnut), I tend to do things to the extreme, I built the first RWD Gallardo in 2004, and took apart a brand new 997S in 2006 and rebuilt it from the chassis up (at a total cost of almost 300K). I am what they now call on the spectrum, I see things differently than normal people. I write books too!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 PM

AMG GT
I thought i was bad buying 1 or 2 per year but hey more power 2 u!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Originally Posted by carnut1
No I am just very, very unusual. Cars are my drug, I must buy at lest one every 3 months. I bought a wild orange 2018 Kia Soul ! last month to go grocery shopping with. This month a GTS. Even my dogs have their own transport. I am fairly well known on different forums (15 years on Ferrarichat as Carnut), I tend to do things to the extreme, I built the first RWD Gallardo in 2004, and took apart a brand new 997S in 2006 and rebuilt it from the chassis up (at a total cost of almost 300K). I am what they now call on the spectrum, I see things differently than normal people. I write books too!

and I though I had car A.D.D. LOL...

Last edited by sno; 07-19-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about noise and music