Sponsored by:

Considering a GTS for a daily.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Considering a GTS for a daily.

How liveable would a GTS be for day to day driving. I’d likely be putting 5,000 mi/yr and was looking at 2+2 coupes but really question the need for rear seats. I’m looking to replace my daily C63, and for reference have a supercharged LP570 for weekend fun. I love the rawness of that car, but would like something with modern tech, comfort and speed to compliment, but also use for weekend fun to fill in for the LP when I don’t want to get it dirty

I’m concerned how practical a choice it would be however. Are inclines/driveways problematic? Seats uncomfortable after 2 hours? Road/tire noise...well, noisy? Enough room in the boot for a couple carry on sized luggage? Just wondering if it’s too much sports car rather than GT. I want something exciting and different however, and after a couple AMGs was planning to try a different marque, but the GT has me curious.

I’m contemplating ‘14 Aston Vanquishes and Bentley GT’s but thinking those might be a little too ritzy or temperamental for daily use.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 GLC63S
Originally Posted by nrgy
How liveable would a GTS be for day to day driving. I’d likely be putting 5,000 mi/yr and was looking at 2+2 coupes but really question the need for rear seats. I’m looking to replace my daily C63, and for reference have a supercharged LP570 for weekend fun. I love the rawness of that car, but would like something with modern tech, comfort and speed to compliment, but also use for weekend fun to fill in for the LP when I don’t want to get it dirty

I’m concerned how practical a choice it would be however. Are inclines/driveways problematic? Seats uncomfortable after 2 hours? Road/tire noise...well, noisy? Enough room in the boot for a couple carry on sized luggage? Just wondering if it’s too much sports car rather than GT. I want something exciting and different however, and after a couple AMGs was planning to try a different marque, but the GT has me curious.

I’m contemplating ‘14 Aston Vanquishes and Bentley GT’s but thinking those might be a little too ritzy or temperamental for daily use.
Having just made the move from a 2011 DB9 to a 2016 GTS, I couldn’t be happier I’ve moved away from that marque. I had countless CEL’s and spent more time ferrying the car back to the dealership than enjoying it. Ironically I traded my C63 507 for the DB9 - tough to say as an ex-pat but with the new Gaydon era cars using AMG motors, there’s something to be said for German engineering...

I havent had mine long enough to answer many of the questions you’ve posed but to summarize the engine feels way stronger throughout the rev range than the NA V12, road noise is definitely on the noisier side but considering you’re pretty much sat on the rear axle I guess it’s to be expected - it’s not unbearable and freshly laid asphalt is considerably quieter! I feel 2+2 seats are generally a marketing / insurance gimmick as no one in their right mind would really want to spend any time back there. Haven’t noticed approach angles too badly in this and the parking sensors do an excellent job against low kerbs etc. I’d say the C63 was more track orientated than this, the steering was more twitchy / highly strung whereas this just feels right; however hard you’re pushing it. I kind of wish comfort mode was a little more sporty so I guess that’s testament to its GT nature but I’m hoping a tune might fix that. All in all I couldn’t happier I’ve got the opportunity to own a GTS as my fun drive - certianly can’t relate to this being my DD as my other car’s a truck but I know where you’re coming from in keeping your cherished drive; well cherished!

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:26 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I would say the Vanquish is the closest comparison. The Bentley is a lot more luxury focused.

I can't remember if the AMG GT can be had without performance seats, but opting out of those will help the daily drive ability factor. 5000 miles a year implies to me that your daily use is filled with mostly short commutes and the occasional long trip. I think you will be fine with an AMG GTS. Put the driver safety package in it to up the comfort.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
I have one. I use my SUV when it rains , snows or I need to shop. I think you need another car in addition to the GTS.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
My GT has softened considerably in last 2000 miles, making it my mostly daily driver. 9k now. Seats are firm but supportive. Rear hatch is great for golf clubs, groceries and weekend trips.. Installing Michelin P4S smoothed out ride as well as lowering road noise.

Car is just not good in rain, so a second car/awd suv was necessary.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i

I daily my GTS, 12 mile round trip commute, spend about 45 minutes daily driving with traffic. If this is your only car, it's not a practical choice. I have an X3 for the wife and daughter, shopping, golf and beach. The GTS is a nice ride, I don't like leaving it for 3 hours while I'm at the movies. It's a better daily driver than my 991 GT3 but has a long hood so it's more challenging to navigate tight spaces. Storage space is decent for it's a sports car but less than adequate. Thick front and rear pillars and side windows create blind spots.

If it's your only car I would stick with the C63 or consider the new M5 or Alfa Quadrifoglio. More trunk space and usable rear seats.

If you have to have a two door the new Continental looks sweet. The old model is long in the tooth and drives like the Titanic. You may consider a slightly used 991 Turbo S. More practical than an AMG GTS. However, 911s are a dime a dozen and the GTS is a more unique driving experience.

Don't have exprience with Aston's.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
I daily my 2018 GTS and I love it! but I also have a GLE 43 AMG that I my wife uses to haul the kid to school and and what not... The GTS is a great car to drive.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Thanks for everyone's input. Yes, I am looking for a car that I'm not afraid to park at the movies or feel paranoid leaving in public parking places, though realistically unless I get a 20 year old beater I think I will always have that protective instinct. I would be looking at low mileage 2016's IF I went this route which might ease some of those nerves just a little compared to buying a brand new car.

I know the AMG GT is more special than to be subjected to the abuse of "daily" driving, stop and go traffic, and rainy winter weather that we get here in the NW, but as another member pointed out, my commutes are short. I guess I'm trying to look for that fine line between a usable sports car, comfort and practicality. I wouldn't dare driving my LP570 everyday, not solely for the reason that it is a very raw and rough experience, but that it feels more special after being deprived for a week or two. I was hoping to find a car that could equally bring that same smile to my face for those times in between.

I do know I'm ready for a change though with my W204 C63. I've had that car 10 years now, only put on 45,000 mi, but I've lost passion for the car. I did lower it with KW coilovers, and put on LT headers which makes the car obnoxious at times. The exhaust is a bit ridiculous for civilized driving (even though I love it), and even on this car the road noise is noticeable. The ride not too bad, but stiff compared to other more luxury rides. I was thinking at least the AMG GTS has an exhaust button and adjustable dampers that might alleviate some of my pet peeves with the C63.

I agree with 2+2 coupes the rear seats are virtually useless, especially with the Aston and Bentley from my research. My thinking was simply more storage space in the rear when needed rather than hauling people.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
What about trading in the C63 and the LP570 for a 580-2? You can daily a Huracan, the tech is way newer and it's a reliable car. I daily drove mine, it's doable. My main gripes were poor rear visibility with the transparent rear engine bonnet, passanger side blind spots and you need to use the front axle lift for steep driveways.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
If you dislike the exhaust note of the C63 and dislike the stiffness of the ride, you won’t be happy with the GTS. It’s louder and stiffer.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Well he has headers full time lol.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1, Superformance Cobra 427, 1970 Mustang Mach1, 1970 Hemi Cuda, !996 Viper GTS
obviously predicated upon your individual daily driving requirements such as traffic, commute, parking, storage needs...
I attempted to daily my supercharged, V-10 R8 but with it being lowered and modded with exhaust, front carbon fiber splitter...it didn't work for me
too much attention, too low for driveways and bad roads...
I daily my GTS without any reservation especially now that it has ppf on it and ceramic coating
silly to me to not enjoy this car full time
Old 10-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
My Experience with a GT S Daily Driver - and Aston Martin

My wife and I had a 2016 Edition1 GT S that we used as a daily driver. We only put about 5,000 miles/yr on it but never regretted not having a larger car (we don't have kids, dogs, etc., though) and figured we'd rent a van for deliveries to Goodwill or to pick up large items from a store. Our other car at the time was a 2015 991.1 911 Turbo S, also a daily driver. I loved both cars and never wished I was in the other one: the 911 was more surgical; the GT S more visceral. Looks/waves/comments/photos: GT S to 911 was 100 to 1. Driving from SoCal to Laguna Seca in the GT S for the AMG Driving Academy, we were able to pack two carry-on bags, a large tote bag, a gym bag a garment bag and some odds and ends like jackets. The ride in Comfort was a bit stiff but our SoCal roads means that wasn't a problem - it might be better with newer models. I'm 5-10 and I had the seat all the way back with just enough room and I don't drive with my arms straight out. I currently have a 991.2 GT3 and a DB11 (I had ordered a GT C Roadster but didn't like the dealer so bought the DB11 so as to have one Aston Martin in my lifetime). What I've found is that I'm really a sports car guy. I find the DB11 big though fast and loud and unlike the new AMR DB11, the rear suspension is too compliant on hard cornering. I'll likely go back to a GT X (C or R) coupe when my DB11 lease is close to being done. I've driven the new Vantage and was surprised how well it handled through a couple of chicanes and tight, off-camber corners, but there are the issues of cost, repair time and parts availability, etc. Also, Mercedes has the most advanced safety features. I have the feeling that Aston Martin is limited by contract to keep the HP of the Vantage at 503 although they whisper that they've done something with torque. The Vantage has a nice interior and a hatch for convenience but I don't like pushbutton gear selectors. Except for the relatively rare older Vantage V12s with a stick, it would seem that an older Vantage would be lacking the power, refinement and safety features of the new Vantage or GT S. Also, dealer proximity is an issue but not here in SoCal where I'm less than 2 miles from both M-B and A-M. I think the new Bentley GT is cool but those cars are heavy and you might find as I have with the DB11 that it's a lot of car wrapped around you if you enjoy taking corners at 10/10ths whenever the opportunity arises. Good luck with your choice. Thanks for reading all the way through this!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Plenty of room since it's a hatchback. The front splitter has quite a bit of clearance.

The ride quality is below average. If your local roads are bad, it will jarr you even on the comfort setting. I have the dynamic package so not sure how much of a difference the motor mounts make. I've owned a couple other cars known for a jarring ride (Giulia Quad, GT3) and both of them seem to have a wider range depending on the shock setting. They're tolerable in the softest mode. On the GTS, the softest mode is still borderline annoying on bad roads.

If you have nice roads in your town, I would go for it.

Last edited by kumizi; 10-03-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I have 13K miles on mine and used it as a DD for a year. I have the dynamic package and as long as the roads are smooth, the car is a perfect GT. Drove to Atlanta (8 hours drive), stopped only for gas and did not feel like I was beat up after the trip. It's no S class but far better than my 911S or Corvette to give you a comparison .
Plenty of week end trips with the better half and never felt there was not enough luggage room. The exotic cars can't remotely come close in that department.
My car is not lowered and other than being careful parking (I wish the car had 360 cameras), I have never scraped anywhere but I live in Florida so no inclines.
The dynamic package does make a noticeable difference on the bounce rate of the vehicle so make sure you get this option if you are buying a GT versus a GTS.
I only stopped driving it daily to limit the mileage of the car and the loss in value otherwise it would still be my DD. This car is an amazing value.
If I had to buy one model today, I would probably splurge for the GTC as it has the wider look and the rear wheel steering.
Good luck and post pics when you get it.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-05-2018)