Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GTR Ceramics ... Should I get this deal ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Dahatsu handi
AMG GTR Ceramics ... Should I get this deal ??

I have an incoming GTR and I have standard brakes .
I have been given the option to upgrade my brakes to ceramics genuine brand new OEM full set for the same price as listed on the new car option list
this would give me a full set of steel’s brand new yellow calipers discs and pads. Entire set for free.
I have been told ceramics make squeal noise
are overly responsive “grabby” in GTR
and obviously they are quite expensive.
i can sell the new steel brakes for a few thousand dollars or run them down then swap
i have bucket seats as I am tall though don’t plan to really track the car however ceramics could be a nice option if I did as I know they don’t seem overheat
i don’t think I would get the investment back in resale

5% iof the car price as the upgrade ?

dilemma !!!

Last edited by Karter34; 10-15-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
that is an interesting offer but I'm not sure it's any kind of a deal... I do have ceramics on a couple of other cars and never had them squeal.. and they really stop well time after time.. when I specked my GT/C roadster I left the option off knowing I would never track the car...saw a note on this web-site noting that at the AMG performance driving academy that all the cars including the GT-R had steel brakes... and it's certainly interesting that ever since Porsche and Ferrari first made them available as $8k options years ago, that the price has never come down when the volume of production has increased.. so I think it's just a huge profit center for them... plus, who are you going to sell the steel set to ??
Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
I never had a single issue with the carbon ceramic brakes on the gtr.

Imo they are perfect , amazing both on track and around the city :-).

no noise , they look sick and more important it helps the handling and steering 😍😍
Old 10-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
also no dust and lasts way longer... Im sure the AMG academy acrs get abused more than the average person.. I do a track day a month, but those cars do 3-4 a week... Im sure its a cost thing
Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
I assume they are replacing the rotors and the pads. Why would they give you the old metal rotors and brakes ?

They are going to upgrade the brakes, do the work and give you the old brakes for no cost? Doesn’t sound cost effective after you have already ordered the car.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by SLcruzen
that is an interesting offer but I'm not sure it's any kind of a deal... I do have ceramics on a couple of other cars and never had them squeal.. and they really stop well time after time.. when I specked my GT/C roadster I left the option off knowing I would never track the car...saw a note on this web-site noting that at the AMG performance driving academy that all the cars including the GT-R had steel brakes... and it's certainly interesting that ever since Porsche and Ferrari first made them available as $8k options years ago, that the price has never come down when the volume of production has increased.. so I think it's just a huge profit center for them... plus, who are you going to sell the steel set to ??
Every car at the AMG Academy has CCB's unless they aren't offered for that model (C43, SLC43, CLA45). No steels.
IMO, CCB's are well priced with the car as the replacement rotors costs much more than the original price. They actually are more extensive to manufacture and typically lasts much longer than steels and produce no brake dust. Worth the price for that alone : )
Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Dahatsu handi
Originally Posted by thecutter64
I assume they are replacing the rotors and the pads. Why would they give you the old metal rotors and brakes ?

They are going to upgrade the brakes, do the work and give you the old brakes for no cost? Doesn’t sound cost effective after you have already ordered the car.

its a a brand new car so the original rotors and brakes that come with the car are steel.
So they are not exchanging them .
Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Karter34
I have an incoming GTR and I have standard brakes .
I have been given the option to upgrade my brakes to ceramics genuine brand new OEM full set for the same price as listed on the new car option list
this would give me a full set of steel’s brand new yellow calipers discs and pads. Entire set for free.
I have been told ceramics make squeal noise
are overly responsive “grabby” in GTR
and obviously they are quite expensive.
i can sell the new steel brakes for a few thousand dollars or run them down then swap
i have bucket seats as I am tall though don’t plan to really track the car however ceramics could be a nice option if I did as I know they don’t seem overheat
i don’t think I would get the investment back in resale

5% iof the car price as the upgrade ?

dilemma !!!

Weird deal to say the least but go for it. If you get the steel set as well, the price will be a no-brainer...

Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS

its a a brand new car so the original rotors and brakes that come with the car are steel.
So they are not exchanging them .
if they are upgrading, the steel rotors and steel pads are removed and replaced with different rotors and pads. Unless they order it from MB in which case there are no extra parts to be had
Old 10-15-2018, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
The CCBs are far superior in every respect versus the iron brakes. If you can get them installed for the same price as the option costs definitely do it. On the street you will not wear out a rotor as long as you keep the car unless you damage the rotor somehow such as allowing the pads to get too worn., or if someone is careless when taking off/installing wheels.

All of the GT Rs at the Academy have the CCBs as the iron brakes are quite ****e on track and fade quickly; the CCBs just stop the car lap after lap.

As as far as being ‘grabby’: they can be that way if they haven’t been properly burnished when new. It’s an easy process to do and makes the CCBs incredibly linear. Highly recommended that anyone who owns a car with CCBs do this IF they find the CCBs to be ‘grabby’.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Dahatsu handi
Originally Posted by thebishman
The CCBs are far superior in every respect versus the iron brakes. If you can get them installed for the same price as the option costs definitely do it. On the street you will not wear out a rotor as long as you keep the car unless you damage the rotor somehow such as allowing the pads to get too worn., or if someone is careless when taking off/installing wheels.

All of the GT Rs at the Academy have the CCBs as the iron brakes are quite ****e on track and fade quickly; the CCBs just stop the car lap after lap.

As as far as being ‘grabby’: they can be that way if they haven’t been properly burnished when new. It’s an easy process to do and makes the CCBs incredibly linear. Highly recommended that anyone who owns a car with CCBs do this IF they find the CCBs to be ‘grabby’.

Bish

hi Bish

how do you burnish the brakes and what is the best Fluid to use ?

thanks

nicholas
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
Sounds like a good deal to me. Try to get them to include labor as well if you can!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

hi Bish

how do you burnish the brakes and what is the best Fluid to use ?

thanks

nicholas
So many ‘track’ drivers would consider Castrol SRF, or something like Endless 650 as the best brake fluids to use. I’ve used SRF for years, but am act7going to try the Endless product my self the next flush.

I’ll find a link to a good set of burnishing instructions and post it here soon.

Bish
Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
So IF your CCM equipped car doesn't seem to have a linear brake pedal when slowing to a complete stop, and/or you intend to do some real high performance driving with the car; (not the types of conditions that you would normally encounter anywhere on the street, certainly not in the US although autobahn driving would potentially benefit I'd wager), then IMHO you should 'burnish' the brakes in order for them to work to their highest ability.

The Corvette Z06(7) manual states that you should do fifty, 60-0 mph stops without any interval between the stops in order to burnish the CCMs. You have to find a deserted street obviously, and if you suffer from motion sickness take some dramamine. The pedal will get very 'soft' feeling and it's not unusual for the brakes to 'smoke' heavily. If done correctly, you'll notice a nice colour change to white on the rotor edge of the pad. BTW, I believe that the most recent manual states that only twenty stops are necessary.

Below is a copy from McClaren re: burnishing the CCMs on their cars:

Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Burnished CCM picture

Here is a picture of one of the brake pads on my GT R after being properly burnished:

Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by thebishman
Here is a picture of one of the brake pads on my GT R after being properly burnished:

Yea you need that white to show on the pads..

BTW.. maybe dont eat so much before you go out and burnish your pads.. the smell and the stop and go lol... can make ya queasy.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (10-17-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 AM

Dahatsu handi
I will now have a brand new unused full set of brakes from an AMG GTR for sale front and rear if anyone interested I would suggest US $3940.00 plus shipping.
Includes pads front and rear , calipers front and rear, also front and rear discs.
Surly this is a great deal for a spare set of full brakes for a current owner ?
YELLOW CALIPERS
Old 10-18-2018, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I will now have a brand new unused full set of brakes from an AMG GTR for sale front and rear if anyone interested I would suggest US $3940.00 plus shipping.
Includes pads front and rear , calipers front and rear, also front and rear discs.
Surly this is a great deal for a spare set of full brakes for a current owner ?
YELLOW CALIPERS
That sir is a great price. GLWS!