Sponsored by:

Forward Collision and Seat Belt pre-tension danger on track in GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63S
Forward Collision and Seat Belt pre-tension danger on track in GTS

I am not sure who on this planet to help me with this issue, But here it goes. I am an advanced high-performance driver and I attend 13 to 18 track events per year. If AMG built this GTS to directly compete against the Porsche 911 why is it I can not turn off the irritating auto braking and seatbelt pre-tensioning. This occurs even when I select this forward collision program to be "off" AND the car is in race mode and I am shifting manually. My lap times are constantly being reduced by this feature. It is also placing me in danger by taking away control entering corners following closely with other drivers. When this occurs I have had cars behind me almost run into me from behind. Is the only answer to purchase an overpriced Porsche GT3 or go back to my crappy Corvette ZR1? And Yes I know you have to disable the forward collision in the assist menu everytime you start the car.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by MBGLA45
I am not sure who on this planet to help me with this issue, But here it goes. I am an advanced high-performance driver and I attend 13 to 18 track events per year. If AMG built this GTS to directly compete against the Porsche 911 why is it I can not turn off the irritating auto braking and seatbelt pre-tensioning. This occurs even when I select this forward collision program to be "off" AND the car is in race mode and I am shifting manually. My lap times are constantly being reduced by this feature. It is also placing me in danger by taking away control entering corners following closely with other drivers. When this occurs I have had cars behind me almost run into me from behind. Is the only answer to purchase an overpriced Porsche GT3 or go back to my crappy Corvette ZR1? And Yes I know you have to disable the forward collision in the assist menu everytime you start the car.
Might this be of help? (From the manual for the GT coupe. Available for some reason only on the Canadian website. The manual on the U.S. website, supposedly for the coupe, is for the cabriolet.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Seat belt adjustment.pdf (303.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
forward collision should be OFF if you turned off in the menu... should not auto brake
Old 10-20-2018, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Granted this is for the GT R, but when in ‘Race’ mode hold the ESC button down until it is turned off. Now ABA is automatically disabled. Obviously this assumes you’re happy with driving the car with ESC off on track, but with your experience I’m assuming you are. I however do not know whether this applies to the GT S, but go to Settings after Race/ESC Off and see if ABA is still on; if so manually disable it.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but I agree that for advanced drivers, ABA is dangerous.

Bish
Old 10-20-2018, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
forward collision should be OFF if you turned off in the menu... should not auto brake
Shalul, I believe I’ve read that even when turned ‘Off’ in Settings, it (ABA) will activate in extremis. Hence my post above re: trying to disable it when ESC set to ‘Off’ when in Race mode.
Bish
Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah, system stays on somewhat even if turned off.

i would just tape over sensors. Maybe it will reduce sensitivity.

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 10-21-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Yeah, system stays on somewhat even if turned off.

i would just tape over sensors. Maybe it will reduce sensitivity.
Wouldn’t the ABA system be using the Distronic sensor in the center of the grill? Even if you don’t have the option active, I’d bet that it’s actually there simply for ABA purposes. Not sure whether taping it off would work.

Bish
Old 06-09-2021, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 AMG GTs Edition 1
Originally Posted by MBGLA45
Hey, I am experiencing the same thing with my '16 AMG GTs, which I just tracked for the first few times earlier this year. It's frustrating and incredibly dangerous. Turning off collision avoidance stops the auto braking...which scared the h3ll out of me and nearly caused me to get punted from behind by a Mclaren. Initially I foolishly assumed that putting the car in "Race Mode" automatically de-activated collision avoidance. Wrong. I was told by someone that there's a fuse in the trunk compartment that you can remove that stops the seat belt problem...but not sure if that also stops the seatbelt from tensioning if you crash? I am reaching out to MBUSA today to see if they have answer...will post an update if I get anything helpful back.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
The last thing MBUSA will do is show you how to deactivate their own safety system.

Don’t waste your time and tape over the sensors.
The following users liked this post:
Case1906 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 08:45 PM

'16 AMG GTs Edition 1
The seat belt tensioning happens even when no other cars or objects are close. So taping over sensors doesn't help...at least not that I have found. All you have to do is slightly break traction (nearly every turn on a track), or brake super hard (nearly end of every straight), and the seat belts lock up. Tightening the seat belts makes sense the problem is they don't release for several seconds or even minutes. Never had this problem with any other Make on a track.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by thebishman
Granted this is for the GT R, but when in ‘Race’ mode hold the ESC button down until it is turned off. Now ABA is automatically disabled. Obviously this assumes you’re happy with driving the car with ESC off on track, but with your experience I’m assuming you are. I however do not know whether this applies to the GT S, but go to Settings after Race/ESC Off and see if ABA is still on; if so manually disable it.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but I agree that for advanced drivers, ABA is dangerous.

Bish
“TC off” will disable ABA as stated here. All models of AMG GT. This is the only way I know with certainty.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:09 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
On my iPhone app I go to Vehicle Settings and then Belt Adjustment and can turn off the "adjustment." Might that be a solution to one of the problems?
The following users liked this post:
JSwan724 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
None yet
Might be a little old school, but I’m betting those sensors behind the front bumper are probably in series with each other to a main wire harness - would it not be simple to splice in a contact/no contact switch to the harness and mount it somewhere under the hood so on race day you can flip the switch to “off” and it just severs communication with the sensors? Then when done on the track, flip it back to “on”. Essentially a simple way to “unplug” them when needed.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
The last thing MBUSA will do is show you how to deactivate their own safety system.

Don’t waste your time and tape over the sensors.
Learned counsel agrees with learned counsel.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Try layers of metallic tape over the sensors including Distronic.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
GT350 AMGGTS
Originally Posted by Case1906
Learned counsel agrees with learned counsel.
Interesting. I always thought that taping the sensors would activated them continuously, AND, I thought the ABA was controlled via the camera in the windshield by the rear view mirror.

What does that camera/radar in the windshield do?

Thanks for the education!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:35 AM

'16 AMG GTs Edition 1
Originally Posted by Case1906

Try layers of metallic tape over the sensors including Distronic.
With the multiple layers of metallic tape over the sensors you don't get the seat belt lock up at all, even when you break traction a bit? I will definitely try that next time out!! Thanks.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:39 AM

'16 AMG GTs Edition 1
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
On my iPhone app I go to Vehicle Settings and then Belt Adjustment and can turn off the "adjustment." Might that be a solution to one of the problems?
I'm going to try that as well as metallic tape over the sensors. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ricky-Bobby
With the multiple layers of metallic tape over the sensors you don't get the seat belt lock up at all, even when you break traction a bit? I will definitely try that next time out!! Thanks.
Correct, it has worked for me. Give it a try.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Theweezersdad
Interesting. I always thought that taping the sensors would activated them continuously, AND, I thought the ABA was controlled via the camera in the windshield by the rear view mirror.

What does that camera/radar in the windshield do?

Thanks for the education!
The windshield sensor is for the lane keeping function.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
GT350 AMGGTS
Ah...thanks!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
FWIW: MB seems to know about this issue since it’s NOT an option on thr GTBS ordering guide aka DOG.
They also dialed down Lane Tracking as well.. not as abrupt I am told.

We’ll see…. soon.

Has anybody floated the issue on the MB AMG site to see if they have some idwas?

Jerry
Old 07-17-2022, 01:53 PM

2016 AMG GTS
I also have a 2016 AMG GTS and this problem has driven me nuts. Renntech now has a OBDII module that you can use to completely turn off all the Pre-Safe functions. Unfortunately, this only works on cars that have automatic braking. I intentionally bought a car without automatic braking just for track purposes, but this software fix won't turn off the seat belt tensioners without the automatic braking module installed. The engineers at Renntech took the time to try and come up with another software solution, but no dice. Hopefully, this will help some of you guys.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
AMG GTs, G550, Jeep JKU, 78 Bronco
I have a 2016 without Distronic and had issues at the track last time I was there. Last weekend I replaced my grill and had the bumper off, so I placed an inline switch for the ground wire that goes to the radar for Collision avoidance. When I turn the switch off is shows it being as inactive.

My next track day at Barber Motorsports is on the 31st and I will be able to see if this works or if it causes other issues. Hoping for the best!!!
Old 07-19-2022, 11:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
None yet
Originally Posted by bhamcarnut
I have a 2016 without Distronic and had issues at the track last time I was there. Last weekend I replaced my grill and had the bumper off, so I placed an inline switch for the ground wire that goes to the radar for Collision avoidance. When I turn the switch off is shows it being as inactive.

My next track day at Barber Motorsports is on the 31st and I will be able to see if this works or if it causes other issues. Hoping for the best!!!
i had the same idea - please let us know how this works out and if it works well, please let us know what ground wire you used for the switch. Maybe a few pics 🙂

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Forward Collision and Seat Belt pre-tension danger on track in GTS