MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   CLK BS to GT-S? (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/725473-clk-bs-gt-s.html)

GeoGeo 10-28-2018 07:06 PM

CLK BS to GT-S?

Hi,

I've owned a CLK BS since new and it has served me well. However, over the past few years after I drove some of the newer sports cars (991, NSX), the two inherent issues with the BS seem to have grown bigger: its weight and its very slow reacting auto box. I'm considering trading it for a GTS and I'm looking for feedback from GT/GTS owners who also had experiences with the CLK BS. How would you compare the two? And was it a worthwhile trade?

Thank you.

thebishman 10-29-2018 10:40 AM

I owned a CLK BS and loved the car; they are very special. Agree that the auto is extremely slow, but I thought that there might be tunes to help that?

Given the relative rarity of the CLK BS, I would not trade it for either a GT or GT S. Yes both cars have moved the goalposts and are faster, but that’s to be expected given the difference in years and technology. The BS might even be an appreciating asset currently whereas a GT S will never be such.

I miss the CLK BS; it truly is a race car for the street, and has there ever been a better sounding exhaust this side of NASCAR? So for me, I’d keep it.

I now own a GT R, and if I were to trade a CLK BS for a GT variant, that would be the one I’d look into as they have somewhat similar philosophies.

Bish

thecutter64 10-29-2018 11:21 AM

WhiteBlack 10-29-2018 11:53 AM

I own both a CLK BS and an AMG GTR.

I think if you're taking it to the track then I'd swap the BS for the GTR.

As a road car I'd take the BS, the slow gear box (mods are available!) doesn't matter on the road you can just use the immense torque from the engine. I think people try to change gears too often in the car because they're used to more modern boxes. The BS will keep up with just about any modern car on a spirited drive too, its immensely sorted chassis and low down grunt means nothing gets away from it.

GeoGeo 10-29-2018 07:21 PM

Thanks guys for the insightful advice! I do track the BS and it seems that GTR would be more comparable to it than the GTS. But GTR is way out of my price range so I'm probably going to keep the BS. And yes, a well kept, garage queen BS has started to appreciate in price, given its rarity.

Jim Brady 10-30-2018 08:29 PM

I was one of the 7 lucky CLK63 BS owners who took factory delivery and raced it in Germany with AMG support in the AMG Trophy Cup. Full factory support just like a real race team. When I got back to the states I continued to track the car without problems save the slow shifting transmission. The rev matching mod helped but the time was up and the GT-S caught my eye. I had Dime Engineering install the cooling upgrade for track duty and have a light tune with 500/500 hp/torque at the wheels. I've got a track alignment and this car rocks. It's five seconds a lap faster than the BS. I have to say I've no problem with most GT-3 P cars and the Viper ACR's I can pull on the straight at Big Willow. This car puts a smile on my face and I can drive it home in comfort mode. The BS in time will be a classic. But I'd rather do than have. The GT-S hits all the right buttons for me. No regrets.

GeoGeo 10-31-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7590664)
I was one of the 7 lucky CLK63 BS owners who took factory delivery and raced it in Germany with AMG support in the AMG Trophy Cup. Full factory support just like a real race team. When I got back to the states I continued to track the car without problems save the slow shifting transmission. The rev matching mod helped but the time was up and the GT-S caught my eye. I had Dime Engineering install the cooling upgrade for track duty and have a light tune with 500/500 hp/torque at the wheels. I've got a track alignment and this car rocks. It's five seconds a lap faster than the BS. I have to say I've no problem with most GT-3 P cars and the Viper ACR's I can pull on the straight at Big Willow. This car puts a smile on my face and I can drive it home in comfort mode. The BS in time will be a classic. But I'd rather do than have. The GT-S hits all the right buttons for me. No regrets.

Thanks Jim for the feedback! I remember your red BS, gorgeous car!

California John 11-01-2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7590664)

Big Willow? Times please. My old home track. When I raced S2000 in SCCA my best time was about 1:24....foot to the floor from the exit of 6 through the exit of turn 9! Very different type of car...but still I'm curious about your WSIR times.