MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   2020 GTR Black Series allocations ?.. (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/726242-2020-gtr-black-series-allocations.html)

GTS 007 11-05-2018 09:19 PM

2020 GTR Black Series allocations ?..

I currently have a GTR delivered in April this year ..

I have a pretty good relationship with the GM of my dealership (bought several cars including GTS and GTR) ....I asked him 2 weeks ago to look into GTR black series allocation process.

I told him I will buy one.

Anyone has experience with this ?

Would be probably impossible to get if they only make 150 of them like the SLS (not sure if that number is correct)

Albuht813 11-05-2018 11:03 PM

Best of luck to you!

thebishman 11-06-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by GTS 007 (Post 7595854)
I currently have a GTR delivered in April this year ..

I have a pretty good relationship with the GM of my dealership (bought several cars including GTS and GTR) ....I asked him 2 weeks ago to look into GTR black series allocation process.

I told him I will buy one.

Anyone has experience with this ?

Would be probably impossible to get if they only make 150 of them like the SLS (not sure if that number is correct)

I bet they make more than 150, and your dealership would be happy to take a refundable deposit for you to secure your place in line, I’m sure.

emericr 11-06-2018 05:11 PM

I have been on the list of a major dealer for over 1 year. I think an allocation today is a shot in dark and while they make take a deposit, your likely hood of getting one is slim. What you have to wish for is people cancelling their orders after they hear the specs and the price. I am one of them as it'd better have something special otherwise I will just keep my GT. They are diluting the brand to the point where I am really concerned a Black Series will not mean much anymore.
Best of luck.

thebishman 11-06-2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by emericr (Post 7596690)
I have been on the list of a major dealer for over 1 year. I think an allocation today is a shot in dark and while they make take a deposit, your likely hood of getting one is slim. What you have to wish for is people cancelling their orders after they hear the specs and the price. I am one of them as it'd better have something special otherwise I will just keep my GT. They are diluting the brand to the point where I am really concerned a Black Series will not mean much anymore.
Best of luck.

Have you had the chance to drive a ‘regular’ GT R? If so, add 10% of everything performance wise. The car is going to be worth waiting for; I’ve no doubt.

WhiteBlack 11-07-2018 04:38 AM

I've had a deposit in place since 2015. Very much doubt I'll get one.

sno 11-07-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7596710)

Have you had the chance to drive a ‘regular’ GT R? If so, add 10% of everything performance wise. The car is going to be worth waiting for; I’ve no doubt.

I would agree the Black Series will be sick...

susman@eurogermantown.com 11-07-2018 11:03 AM

I assume they are coming (per Tobias Moers)... no official word though..

Td33 11-07-2018 12:00 PM

I would take a step back guys and see if and when they are going to build this car. I wouldn’t give a dealership a nickel. The direction AMG is going there is a good chance they will build numerous units and maybe several varieties of the car. Just look at the progression of the GT model. The best thing they could do for the GT brand as a whole is a limited and numbered production of the BS car, but I’m not holding my breath.

thebishman 11-07-2018 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Td33 (Post 7597301)
I would take a step back guys and see if and when they are going to build this car. I wouldn’t give a dealership a nickel. The direction AMG is going there is a good chance they will build numerous units and maybe several varieties of the car. Just look at the progression of the GT model. The best thing they could do for the GT brand as a whole is a limited and numbered production of the BS car, but I’m not holding my breath.

Black Series cars have always been highly limited in number; far more so than modern day Porsche GT car numbers iirc. Plus historically the BS edition is the final version released of a current iteration of a specific line; again iirc.

Td33 11-07-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7597312)

Black Series cars have always been highly limited in number; far more so than modern day Porsche GT car numbers iirc. Plus historically the BS edition is the final version released of a current iteration of a specific line; again iirc.

Your completely correct about how AMG worked in the past regarding BS cars, but this not the same AMG not even close. They advertised the GT car as being the second only car hand built by AMG certainly making it special. Then they bring out this GT 4dr sedan and then make a 43 model. Know they’re in the works of bringing out a possible 53 gt coupe model. This going completely against what they said this car to be thereby taking some specialness away from the car. This isn’t my opinion, but just factual. I wish we had the old AMG commitment and pride, but that ship has long sailed.

As far as Porsche gt cars they are killing it. Some of the best production sports cars made today and they just keep getting better. For production cars they hold their value better than anything being built. Look at the numbers these GT cars are selling for. These numbers speak for themselves.

Hope your having a wonderful day bishman!

emericr 11-07-2018 02:05 PM

Yes I have driven the GTR and it is clearly an improvement over the GT on the track. However I am not inclined to spend $100K more on a car that could be very close to my GT performance.
I really hope it will have an updated different interior (especially the electronics) and exterior to differentiate it from its low cousins. With the current dilution (V6 engines coming) and so many variants, the lack of direction from MB assuring us that the Black Series will be a limited production run ala GT2/3RS is very telling. I am becoming very disillusioned with this future BS car.

cyberorth 11-07-2018 07:10 PM

2019 GTR is the same as 2018. 2020 will be the facelift with refreshed interior. At best we will have any hint of an actual BS by the time they show the 2020.
Do keep in mind that for the 204 chassis, they released the BS as a 2012 model but the coupe of that car continued until 2015 MY after the BS production ended.

WhiteBlack 11-08-2018 02:33 AM

Whole GT range is getting a facelift next year.

Albuht813 11-08-2018 04:24 AM

Prolly not to much on the exterior as they have just made changes for this year, right? Yes the interior is due for sure

Gojirra99 11-08-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Albuht813 (Post 7597885)
Prolly not to much on the exterior as they have just made changes for this year, right? Yes the interior is due for sure

new headlight & taillight internals, new rear fascia, quad exhaust tips ........ also likely slight horsepower increase across entire GT range ...

Albuht813 11-08-2018 01:35 PM

Ahh. searched the web and found some spy shots. The front looks great taking more cues from the GTR. But again....no screens over the radiators in the bottom corners!!!

AMG 17GT 11-08-2018 05:44 PM

The new black series for this car better be a lot more than the SLS body kit which was a joke.
I’m thinking active suspension more active aero on the fenders, hood and 650 HP. Interior like racing Gt

thebishman 11-08-2018 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7598478)
The new black series for this car better be a lot more than the SLS body kit which was a joke.
I’m thinking active suspension more active aero on the fenders, hood and 650 HP. Interior like racing Gt

There is no way they are going to do “active suspension”, other than changing the software parameters for the shocks, and certain hardware for the current suspension. There will be no active aero, other than what we currently have, but certainly we’ll see more pronounced aero on the front and rear end of the car. The car will be lighter; but not by much. It will have more power for sure. Perhaps slightly larger wheels with the R03 sized tyres as standard, although again I bet we won’t get the SC2 ZP tyres offered here in the USA.

Regardless it’s going to be an amazing car.

Bish

BenzGTR 11-09-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7598532)

There is no way they are going to do “active suspension”, other than changing the software parameters for the shocks, and certain hardware for the current suspension. There will be no active aero, other than what we currently have, but certainly we’ll see more pronounced aero on the front and rear end of the car. The car will be lighter; but not by much. It will have more power for sure. Perhaps slightly larger wheels with the R03 sized tyres as standard, although again I bet we won’t get the SC2 ZP tyres offered here in the USA.

Bish

I bet it will get a special compound tire, something even faster than the ZP's maybe. That seems to be the norm these days with a lot of the frack focused exotics.

AMG 17GT 11-09-2018 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7598532)

V
Bish

Ok mr Bish. You have your finger on the pulse ?

Sounds like a defensive response from a GTR guy. We will see, but I believe the Black will step over the GTR in a major way.

thebishman 11-10-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7599370)

Ok mr Bish. You have your finger on the pulse ?

Sounds like a defensive response from a GTR guy. We will see, but I believe the Black will step over the GTR in a major way.

Your response is somewhat odd sounding.

Every thing I wrote in my response was from my recollection of reading about the BS from multiple sources, mostly foreign.

To enact “active aero”, (other than the already existing front spoiler) would be really expensive, and “active suspension” would require a major redesign and cost MB so much money that I’m not sure they could ever recoup the expenditure regardless of what they charge for the car. GT Rs are already fairly expensive and I suspect that the BS can’t be priced much more than a comparable car such as the GT3 RS.

It’s going to be faster and handle better than the GT R, and yes, it’s going to be a better car in every respect, (except perhaps in street compliance and ability to use as a DD). Of that I’m really glad because even if I’m ‘stuck’ with my ‘lowly’ GT R, I’m super happy that a balls to the wall version of the car is (hopefully) to be released.

Bish

AMG 17GT 11-10-2018 02:33 PM

What I’m saying is it better be a lot different, instead of just another iteration. A lot of purists are watching here.