Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 GTR Black Series allocations ?..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 GT3, AMG GTR 2018, C63s 2017, Audi R8 2018, AMG GTS 2016, Maserati GTS 15, M6 GC 2015
2020 GTR Black Series allocations ?..

I currently have a GTR delivered in April this year ..

I have a pretty good relationship with the GM of my dealership (bought several cars including GTS and GTR) ....I asked him 2 weeks ago to look into GTR black series allocation process.

I told him I will buy one.

Anyone has experience with this ?

Would be probably impossible to get if they only make 150 of them like the SLS (not sure if that number is correct)

Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
Best of luck to you!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by GTS 007
I currently have a GTR delivered in April this year ..

I have a pretty good relationship with the GM of my dealership (bought several cars including GTS and GTR) ....I asked him 2 weeks ago to look into GTR black series allocation process.

I told him I will buy one.

Anyone has experience with this ?

Would be probably impossible to get if they only make 150 of them like the SLS (not sure if that number is correct)

I bet they make more than 150, and your dealership would be happy to take a refundable deposit for you to secure your place in line, I’m sure.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I have been on the list of a major dealer for over 1 year. I think an allocation today is a shot in dark and while they make take a deposit, your likely hood of getting one is slim. What you have to wish for is people cancelling their orders after they hear the specs and the price. I am one of them as it'd better have something special otherwise I will just keep my GT. They are diluting the brand to the point where I am really concerned a Black Series will not mean much anymore.
Best of luck.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by emericr
I have been on the list of a major dealer for over 1 year. I think an allocation today is a shot in dark and while they make take a deposit, your likely hood of getting one is slim. What you have to wish for is people cancelling their orders after they hear the specs and the price. I am one of them as it'd better have something special otherwise I will just keep my GT. They are diluting the brand to the point where I am really concerned a Black Series will not mean much anymore.
Best of luck.
Have you had the chance to drive a ‘regular’ GT R? If so, add 10% of everything performance wise. The car is going to be worth waiting for; I’ve no doubt.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
I've had a deposit in place since 2015. Very much doubt I'll get one.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Originally Posted by thebishman

Have you had the chance to drive a ‘regular’ GT R? If so, add 10% of everything performance wise. The car is going to be worth waiting for; I’ve no doubt.
I would agree the Black Series will be sick...
Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
I assume they are coming (per Tobias Moers)... no official word though..
Old 11-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
I would take a step back guys and see if and when they are going to build this car. I wouldn’t give a dealership a nickel. The direction AMG is going there is a good chance they will build numerous units and maybe several varieties of the car. Just look at the progression of the GT model. The best thing they could do for the GT brand as a whole is a limited and numbered production of the BS car, but I’m not holding my breath.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Td33
I would take a step back guys and see if and when they are going to build this car. I wouldn’t give a dealership a nickel. The direction AMG is going there is a good chance they will build numerous units and maybe several varieties of the car. Just look at the progression of the GT model. The best thing they could do for the GT brand as a whole is a limited and numbered production of the BS car, but I’m not holding my breath.
Black Series cars have always been highly limited in number; far more so than modern day Porsche GT car numbers iirc. Plus historically the BS edition is the final version released of a current iteration of a specific line; again iirc.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63

Black Series cars have always been highly limited in number; far more so than modern day Porsche GT car numbers iirc. Plus historically the BS edition is the final version released of a current iteration of a specific line; again iirc.
Your completely correct about how AMG worked in the past regarding BS cars, but this not the same AMG not even close. They advertised the GT car as being the second only car hand built by AMG certainly making it special. Then they bring out this GT 4dr sedan and then make a 43 model. Know they’re in the works of bringing out a possible 53 gt coupe model. This going completely against what they said this car to be thereby taking some specialness away from the car. This isn’t my opinion, but just factual. I wish we had the old AMG commitment and pride, but that ship has long sailed.

As far as Porsche gt cars they are killing it. Some of the best production sports cars made today and they just keep getting better. For production cars they hold their value better than anything being built. Look at the numbers these GT cars are selling for. These numbers speak for themselves.

Hope your having a wonderful day bishman!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Yes I have driven the GTR and it is clearly an improvement over the GT on the track. However I am not inclined to spend $100K more on a car that could be very close to my GT performance.
I really hope it will have an updated different interior (especially the electronics) and exterior to differentiate it from its low cousins. With the current dilution (V6 engines coming) and so many variants, the lack of direction from MB assuring us that the Black Series will be a limited production run ala GT2/3RS is very telling. I am becoming very disillusioned with this future BS car.

Last edited by emericr; 11-07-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
2019 GTR is the same as 2018. 2020 will be the facelift with refreshed interior. At best we will have any hint of an actual BS by the time they show the 2020.
Do keep in mind that for the 204 chassis, they released the BS as a 2012 model but the coupe of that car continued until 2015 MY after the BS production ended.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Whole GT range is getting a facelift next year.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 AM

AMG GTR
Prolly not to much on the exterior as they have just made changes for this year, right? Yes the interior is due for sure
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Albuht813
Prolly not to much on the exterior as they have just made changes for this year, right? Yes the interior is due for sure
new headlight & taillight internals, new rear fascia, quad exhaust tips ........ also likely slight horsepower increase across entire GT range ...
The following users liked this post:
daybx (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM

AMG GTR
Ahh. searched the web and found some spy shots. The front looks great taking more cues from the GTR. But again....no screens over the radiators in the bottom corners!!!
Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
The new black series for this car better be a lot more than the SLS body kit which was a joke.
I’m thinking active suspension more active aero on the fenders, hood and 650 HP. Interior like racing Gt
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
The new black series for this car better be a lot more than the SLS body kit which was a joke.
I’m thinking active suspension more active aero on the fenders, hood and 650 HP. Interior like racing Gt
There is no way they are going to do “active suspension”, other than changing the software parameters for the shocks, and certain hardware for the current suspension. There will be no active aero, other than what we currently have, but certainly we’ll see more pronounced aero on the front and rear end of the car. The car will be lighter; but not by much. It will have more power for sure. Perhaps slightly larger wheels with the R03 sized tyres as standard, although again I bet we won’t get the SC2 ZP tyres offered here in the USA.

Regardless it’s going to be an amazing car.

Bish
Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon

There is no way they are going to do “active suspension”, other than changing the software parameters for the shocks, and certain hardware for the current suspension. There will be no active aero, other than what we currently have, but certainly we’ll see more pronounced aero on the front and rear end of the car. The car will be lighter; but not by much. It will have more power for sure. Perhaps slightly larger wheels with the R03 sized tyres as standard, although again I bet we won’t get the SC2 ZP tyres offered here in the USA.

Bish
I bet it will get a special compound tire, something even faster than the ZP's maybe. That seems to be the norm these days with a lot of the frack focused exotics.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T

V
Bish
Ok mr Bish. You have your finger on the pulse ?

Sounds like a defensive response from a GTR guy. We will see, but I believe the Black will step over the GTR in a major way.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

Ok mr Bish. You have your finger on the pulse ?

Sounds like a defensive response from a GTR guy. We will see, but I believe the Black will step over the GTR in a major way.

Your response is somewhat odd sounding.

Every thing I wrote in my response was from my recollection of reading about the BS from multiple sources, mostly foreign.

To enact “active aero”, (other than the already existing front spoiler) would be really expensive, and “active suspension” would require a major redesign and cost MB so much money that I’m not sure they could ever recoup the expenditure regardless of what they charge for the car. GT Rs are already fairly expensive and I suspect that the BS can’t be priced much more than a comparable car such as the GT3 RS.

It’s going to be faster and handle better than the GT R, and yes, it’s going to be a better car in every respect, (except perhaps in street compliance and ability to use as a DD). Of that I’m really glad because even if I’m ‘stuck’ with my ‘lowly’ GT R, I’m super happy that a ***** to the wall version of the car is (hopefully) to be released.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
sno (11-12-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
What I’m saying is it better be a lot different, instead of just another iteration. A lot of purists are watching here.