Sponsored by:

AMG GTR PRO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
AMG GTR PRO

It seems the clubsport is going to be called the Pro. To be revealed at the LA Autoshow which I guess bodes well for a US launch of this car?

Last edited by WhiteBlack; 11-20-2018 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sno (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:52 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
NICE!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Looks wider
Old 11-20-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So not the black series??

Will there be a BS?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
Love it. 8 more days till the reveal!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
How many more variants do we need?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM

fun ones.
Originally Posted by thecutter64
How many more variants do we need?

well the GTR has a lot of flaws on track that this will remedy (according to mb at least). So I think it’s fully justified.

on the other hand the GTC for example seems a bit of a waste of time to me!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack

well the GTR has a lot of flaws on track that this will remedy (according to mb at least). So I think it’s fully justified.

on the other hand the GTC for example seems a bit of a waste of time to me!
1: As an owner that has only identified understeer on the OEM tyres as the main track issue, ( my car has the CCM brakes), and which was cured by going with the option tyres, I’d be very interested in hearing a list of the “lot of flaws” that you’re referring to;

2: I actually think the GT C is a very worthwhile addition to the line up for thise owners who will either never track their car, or dont want the fixed rear spoiler.

I am however excited to see what this new ‘Pro’ variant brings to the table.

Bish

Last edited by thebishman; 11-20-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by JadeRaven
So not the black series??

Will there be a BS?
I still strongly suspect we’ll see a Black Series, released during the ladt year of the current car.

Bish
Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 AM

fun ones.
Originally Posted by thebishman

1: As an owner that has only identified understeer on the OEM tyres as the main track issue, ( my car has the CCM brakes), and which was cured by going with the option tyres, I’d be very interested in hearing a list of the “lot of flaws” that you’re referring to;

I am however excited to see what this new ‘Pro’ variant brings to the table.

Bish
We've done this enough on here. You think the brakes are fine, I think they don't have any cooling and suck. Solving understeer with a 3000euro set of tyres that don't last 5 minutes isn't a solution in my opinion either.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
We've done this enough on here. You think the brakes are fine, I think they don't have any cooling and suck. Solving understeer with a 3000euro set of tyres that don't last 5 minutes isn't a solution in my opinion either.
1: In the USA a full set of Michelin SC2 ZP tyres, (the RO3 option) runs $1,700; or exactly half your quote of 3,000 Euros. These tyres will last a full run session and makes the GT R much quicker. Plus my son and I did 8 runs sessions on a new set and they are hardly worn at all, and you can drive the car to/from the track on them.

2: the Iron brakes are a weak point of the car that need: excellent DOT 4 brake fluid; excellent track pads and yes, you’re right, far better cooling. Something hopefully the ‘Pro’ version has. Even then, the iron brakes may still not be useful on a road course.

The CCM brakes however seem to be excellent for the average Advanced group driver at your ‘normal’ 25 minute HPDE event; me for example. No fade lap after lap and fantastic retardation of the car, with decent OEM pad wear assuming you drive with ESC ‘Off’. The only thing to do, which is always wise on any car, is to switch to an excellent DOT 4 brake fluid.

You’re right; we’ve been over this before but it’s important that another opinion is expressed to owners of the car when someone states the car has a ‘long list of faults’ on a road course; it doesn’t.

Bish
Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM

fun ones.
Well at least we can agree that this PRO model will be a better track car than the existing model? I'm excited to see the new car and have one coming, hopefully its available in the USA for you.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTS
@thebishman Are the Sport Cup 2 ZP that much better than the normal Sport Cup 2's?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by ronac
@thebishman Are the Sport Cup 2 ZP that much better than the normal Sport Cup 2's?
Ronac, they simply ‘destroy’ the OEM Sport Cup 2’s in the handling and traction dept. IMHO. Driving as you do in the canyons I think you’d see a major difference. Obviously as RFT’s they have less compliance on broken up highway, but the ride is still ‘OK’ even in my GT R. On crappy roads when driving to/from the track I’ll leave the car in ‘C’ mode of course. On the positive side if you get a flat you aren’t stranded as these can be driven 50 miles without air in them iirc. They will not last as long obviously and I’m not able to tell you how many street miles to expect out of them as I always use them for the track mounted on a set of Signature forged wheels, but their treadwear is listed as 180. Oh and their wet weather performance is marginal due to the decreased tread depth and compound difference:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=Coupe

That being said you get a bigger ‘footprint’ and a stickier compound than the ‘regular’ SC2s. The above link is to the GT R option tyre (R03) which is the tyre Michelin specifically designed for the Chevy C7 Z06/7. I’m not sure of other sizes if the above won’t fit your car btw.

Bish
Old 11-21-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Well at least we can agree that this PRO model will be a better track car than the existing model? I'm excited to see the new car and have one coming, hopefully its available in the USA for you.
You Sir are a lucky man! I will anxiously await your thoughts, and yes I definitely agree that the ‘Pro’ will be an even better road course monster.

I really cant see MB not selling it over here across the pond as the US is (I think) the GT R’s largest market. Since my car is a 50%/50% Street and Track car I can easily see myself thinking hard about getting one if the ‘numbers’ work out, and frankly I think that in 2020 when it’s released, the BS will push my budget too hard for me to look into getting one, especially if the economy’s in the crapper.

Bish
Old 11-22-2018, 12:05 AM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
Which brakes do you have? What track did they fade/fail on you at?
Old 11-22-2018, 12:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 GT3, AMG GTR 2018, C63s 2017, Audi R8 2018, AMG GTS 2016, Maserati GTS 15, M6 GC 2015
Just asked my dealer to put me down for a GTR pro....having had 3 other AMG , then a GTS, now GTR ...I am hoping I am improving my “AMG résumé “ in order to improve my chances to get a black Series ....
Old 11-22-2018, 04:28 AM

fun ones.
Originally Posted by BenzGTR
Which brakes do you have? What track did they fade/fail on you at?
I have the ceramics and use motul660 fluid and standard pads. I've had brake issues at any dry track day I've attended (european tracks). I now "manage" the brakes and don't brake as heavily and as late as I'd like to, I run 1.5-2 cool down laps instead of 1.

I know GT3 comparisons are not very popular here but in a 991 GT3 you can head out on track and hit the brakes as hard as you can lap after lap and stay out on circuit until the car runs out of fuel and they still work perfectly. That's the sort of performance that we should expect of the GTR but it can't do it.

The car has absolutely no brake cooling(ie no ducts, nothing to move cold air onto the brakes) which is the primary cause of the problem I believe. Renntech do an upgrade for this but I decided to save the money for this new car instead as trackday season is over here.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:33 AM

fun ones.

You Sir are a lucky man! I will anxiously await your thoughts, and yes I definitely agree that the ‘Pro’ will be an even better road course monster.

I really cant see MB not selling it over here across the pond as the US is (I think) the GT R’s largest market. Since my car is a 50%/50% Street and Track car I can easily see myself thinking hard about getting one if the ‘numbers’ work out, and frankly I think that in 2020 when it’s released, the BS will push my budget too hard for me to look into getting one, especially if the economy’s in the crapper.

Bish
MBUK expects to get 10-20 BS cars. I expect them all to go to youtubers and project one owners. As such I don't hold out much hope of getting one despite having a deposit down since 2015. Further more a car that costs £250k+ and might be worth £500k+(if it follows an SLS BS trajectory, BIG if!) is never a fast car on track unless you have very very deep pockets.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
I own a GTC. I would have gotten a GTR however the 2018 GTR does not come in a convertible and I wanted a convertible so I got the GTC.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Katie22
I own a GTC. I would have gotten a GTR however the 2018 GTR does not come in a convertible and I wanted a convertible so I got the GTC.
Well there are reports of a GT R ‘Roadster’ version being made in the future, so you can keep that in mind.

May I ask you the following? The GT C is as fast on the street and will handle just about as well since it has almost the exact same hp; the 4WS, etc. It will, I assume have more compliance which is not a bad thing for the street, especially if your roads aren’t super smooth. So what would be the attraction of a GT R Roadster? The GT R deserves to be driven on a road course as that is it’s design purpose, and most(?) track organisers normally won’t allow ‘Verts on track. Is it simply because it is currently the ‘top of the line’ version of the GT series?

Not or trying to be ‘weird’ as people can spend their hard earned cash on anything IMHO; I’m just trying to see why someone would even want a GT R ‘Vert.

Thanks for any enlightenment! lol

Bish
Old 11-22-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
MBUK expects to get 10-20 BS cars. I expect them all to go to youtubers and project one owners. As such I don't hold out much hope of getting one despite having a deposit down since 2015. Further more a car that costs £250k+ and might be worth £500k+(if it follows an SLS BS trajectory, BIG if!) is never a fast car on track unless you have very very deep pockets.
I am speculating completely here, but a loaded GT R in the US runs about $200K. I expect the BS to start at a minimum of $250K. It remains to be seen how many GT R BS cars are brought to the US, and of course produced world wide, as to whether the car will be a ‘collectible’ remains to be seen. I hope enough are produced that they aren’t all locked away except for a blast down to the local C&C as that would be tragic. I want plenty produced so that eventually I might be able to get my hands on one! lol

Bish
Old 11-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
I have the ceramics and use motul660 fluid and standard pads. I've had brake issues at any dry track day I've attended (european tracks). I now "manage" the brakes and don't brake as heavily and as late as I'd like to, I run 1.5-2 cool down laps instead of 1.

I know GT3 comparisons are not very popular here but in a 991 GT3 you can head out on track and hit the brakes as hard as you can lap after lap and stay out on circuit until the car runs out of fuel and they still work perfectly. That's the sort of performance that we should expect of the GTR but it can't do it.

The car has absolutely no brake cooling(ie no ducts, nothing to move cold air onto the brakes) which is the primary cause of the problem I believe. Renntech do an upgrade for this but I decided to save the money for this new car instead as trackday season is over here.
Your brakes faded on every track you've been to and you have the ceramics? Are you sure your fluid wasn't cooked? This seems impossible. And you are on street tires?
I plan on running mine hard on the track and with true slicks which will brake the car way way harder than your street tires. I plan on running SRF (flushed daily for track) and I don't forsee the brakes fading.
I tracked my wifes E63 4800 lb wagon with steel brakes and the pads literally caught on fire after 3 laps, (I had to put them out with a fire extinguisher) but my buddy was there in his E63 sedan on CCB's (with SRF) and he had zero issues of fade and he was on Hoosier A7's. He was extremely impressed with the brakes and this is in car with more power and 1000 lbs more weight than your GTR. You should run SRF for starters, it's wet boiling point is 30% higher than the best Motul (518* vs 399*). I'll report back here after mid January which will be my first track weekend in mine. I'm supposed to get the car next week!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 339 Likes on 193 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Katie22
Same here. The convertible rocks! Here in So Cal it's down most all days.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:06 PM

fun ones.

I am speculating completely here, but a loaded GT R in the US runs about $200K. I expect the BS to start at a minimum of $250K. It remains to be seen how many GT R BS cars are brought to the US, and of course produced world wide, as to whether the car will be a ‘collectible’ remains to be seen. I hope enough are produced that they aren’t all locked away except for a blast down to the local C&C as that would be tragic. I want plenty produced so that eventually I might be able to get my hands on one! lol

Bish
Well, GTR here is £130k Base and £160k specced up. So basically the same as your $200k. The PRO I am told is a £30k premium over the GTR so I would expect the PRO to be £190k loaded (or $240k). Extending that logic a bit further I can't see a BS being less than £250k/$300k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GTR PRO