Sponsored by:

LEMON LAW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:31 PM

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts
GLE400, 2017 Porsche 911S
LEMON LAW

I am reading with interest the problem Courville noted on his 2016 AMG GT. After many repeated trips to the dealership for the same problem being unresolved, it was mentioned that the Lemon Law should be looked into. Can an owner claim a Lemon Law complaint if they are not the original owners of the car but it is still under the new car warranty?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Lemon laws will likely cover used cars if the car was covered under a certain type of warranty. Despite the fact that a used car is a much more likely candidate to be a “lemon,” federal lemon laws generally cover only new vehicle purchases. But there is one major exception: if the owner has received an express written warranty along with the used vehicle, then federal lemon law will likely cover the used car. An express written warranty can include the balance of a manufacturer’s warranty, a separate limited warranty given by the dealer, or an extended warranty or service contract purchased from the dealer at the time of the vehicle purchase. Some used vehicles are certified by the dealer, which extends the existing warranty or creates an additional short warranty on the used vehicle. Having such a warranty will not only offer the potential for a breach of warranty claim, but federal lemon laws can also apply to the situation
Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
The answer depends in part on the state in which the owner is located and the state in which the car was originally sold.
The following users liked this post:
JSwan724 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 GLB 250 4matic
There is absolutely no way it voids the warranty. And there is PPF designed for matte. Just make sure you are getting a guaranteed film like XPEL or 3M that also would come with warranties and guarantees to how harmless it is to any paint and removal. I'd recommend XPEL based on all the research I did recently before getting my front end covered.

Do your research especially before trusting this to a dealer. PPF is expensive and little things make a big difference. Like if they are just ordering the kit online like you could... or do they actually have a plotter to cut it out and adjust measurements/do custom cut outs if necessary. I'd stay away from any spray on films on a new car... save those for a car that needs a paint job and is a decade old or you want a new look. A good installer will leave little or no seams... depending on color of your car, a rush job PPF install can actually highlight dirt since the edges are bound to get crap in them and start showing the edges of film. I've seen yellow lambos for example that look like dog doo just a few years after getting full PPF because of the giant seems on each panel and the brake dust and road grime that works itself behind the seams. I'd imagine actually mileage on that job was less than 25k miles.

A ceramic coating is a good idea, but it is not the same as having the front end covered in PPF. I have yet to see a ceramic perform the way film does on rocks, and physical damage. Also keep in mind where you live and the color of the car... PPF self heals with heat. So on a black car in the south or west, probably will do a lot more to keep away scratches and chips than any ceramic could for the 7-10 year guaranteed lifespan of the film. It may be worth it to do both, and make sure your ceramic coater pays special attention to the seams of the film to try and help prevent the dreaded PPF dirt seams.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
?

What post are you responding to? Has someone claimed somewhere that applying PPF voids a warranty?
Old 07-18-2022, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 451 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
?

What post are you responding to? Has someone claimed somewhere that applying PPF voids a warranty?
I think we have a victim of RELATED THREAD SYNDROME here.

There is a thread on another forum discussing PPF and impact on the factory warranty. When I saw the response here, I thought I was the victim...LOL...

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 07-18-2022 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 451 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Yes, just looked up the other thread and surely enough, the next RELATED THREAD is titled LEMON LAW.....
Old 07-19-2022, 01:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 GLB 250 4matic
Sorry, I have no idea how it ended up here. On the subject of Lemon Law... how much would it suck to have your car condom installed and your graphite double nano ultra technology poly shine to then end up with a lemon you end up returning?