Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Still getting a black series despite the GTR pro

Link
The following users liked this post:
California John (11-18-2019)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 corvette Z06
Interesting. Not really sure where they go from Pro! I know most wont agree but I think they should use the AWD system with the 630hp engine and attempt to use enough CF or whatever means to offset the weight. Otherwise traction will still be dramatically limited and the gains seem like they’ll be minimal for the premium cost.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Awd is for well other drivers. Look at how McLaren is putting down 700 hp with Rwd

Last edited by AMG 17GT; 12-08-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM

2015 corvette Z06
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Awd is for well other drivers. Look at how McLaren is putting down 700 hp with Rwd
mclaren is doing it with a mid engine car and rear weight bias. Not comparable for low end speed traction.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by TtimeAMG
Interesting. Not really sure where they go from Pro! I know most wont agree but I think they should use the AWD system with the 630hp engine and attempt to use enough CF or whatever means to offset the weight. Otherwise traction will still be dramatically limited and the gains seem like they’ll be minimal for the premium cost.
I strongly doubt the current platform could be adapted to AWD, and it would add weight to the front of the car; not want you want to enhance handling on a road course. The next gen GT platform may well be configured for AWD, but to spend millions just so the current gen BS has four driven wheels makes no economic sense.

The BS will have: more power; less weight; even more track oriented suspension, and probably larger, stickier tyres. It will out ‘pro’ the ‘Pro’ for sure. Lol

Bish
The following 3 users liked this post by thebishman:
California John (11-18-2019), sno (12-10-2018), Surge (11-18-2019)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:45 AM

2015 corvette Z06
Originally Posted by thebishman

I strongly doubt the current platform could be adapted to AWD, and it would add weight to the front of the car; not want you want to enhance handling on a road course. The next gen GT platform may well be configured for AWD, but to spend millions just so the current gen BS has four driven wheels makes no economic sense.

The BS will have: more power; less weight; even more track oriented suspension, and probably larger, stickier tyres. It will out ‘pro’ the ‘Pro’ for sure. Lol

Bish
I would think they could use the setup from the GT coupe but I’ve never really looked into it, ya that was my emphasize on removing weight from the front end. is there that much room to cut weight? Do they have room for much wider tires, cup 2’s are as about sticky as they get. If you want a track car not a production car don’t they sell the GT4? I would just like to see a variant that lines up with a 911turbo S instead (traction, daily useable and trackable) but not all out track (since they have R and now R pro.) I know not happening, they’ll stick to the same formula, wishful thinking I guess.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe

Bish
I don't know about the added front end weight being a disadvantage if AWD. Audi was banned from racing in Trans Am due to it's un-fair advantage of AWD in racing.
I'd rather have AWD if it were available.
California John (11-18-2019)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
GT R PRO Allocations + 2020 GT R Orders

What are forum members hearing about GT R PRO allocations and estimated delivery dates? I heard 250 WW and 150 in the U.S. with deliveries in late '19; however, recently I heard that some of the U.S. allocations were being siphoned off to China because of their increasing demand for M-B AMG vehicles. I saw a post from someone in the U.K. saying that their allocation was small and that cars would likely go to prominent YouTubers, etc. Here in SoCal, dealers claim to receive huge "market adjustments" for specialty vehicles like the GT R, new G-Class, etc.

Also, when will order books open for the 2020 GT R now that the DOG is available, and will allocations/availability be restricted?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by AtTheGlen
What are forum members hearing about GT R PRO allocations and estimated delivery dates? I heard 250 WW and 150 in the U.S. with deliveries in late '19; however, recently I heard that some of the U.S. allocations were being siphoned off to China because of their increasing demand for M-B AMG vehicles. I saw a post from someone in the U.K. saying that their allocation was small and that cars would likely go to prominent YouTubers, etc. Here in SoCal, dealers claim to receive huge "market adjustments" for specialty vehicles like the GT R, new G-Class, etc.

Also, when will order books open for the 2020 GT R now that the DOG is available, and will allocations/availability be restricted?

Thanks!
Still showing 150 only for the US on the Pro.. that's 3 a state lol

I bet as the GT cars age there will be less of them.. I got 6 GTR's last year, just one this year
The following 2 users liked this post by susman@eurogermantown.com:
AtTheGlen (12-08-2018), California John (11-18-2019)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon

Bish
Agreed, the car will NOT have AWD, but I bet it does get close to 700hp. Remember these motors are so underrated the GTR is already really 609hp according to Renntech
What the car WILL have to help put that power down is a big *** wing.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by BenzGTR
Agreed, the car will NOT have AWD, but I bet it does get close to 700hp. Remember these motors are so underrated the GTR is already really 609hp according to Renntech
What the car WILL have to help put that power down is a big *** wing.
Renntech car has 700hp already as well.

I believe I’ve mentioned this before but Tobias mentioned that the black car in camouflage would be distinguishable.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.

Thanks!
I’ve seen 750 for the World wide number not 250.
AtTheGlen (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Yes. 750 GT R PRO Units WW - not 250

Originally Posted by WhiteBlack

I’ve seen 750 for the World wide number not 250.
Thanks for the correction. Yes, the number I've seen is 750 WW with 150 in the U.S. (although I did see one report of 125 in the U.S. that appears to be incorrect).
Old 12-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Am I the only one that thought the AMG GTR Pro would have ran faster at N'ring? I know pulling off 6s from an already fast lap can be tough, but come one... I guess I'm just still p*ssed at the 991 GT2 RS.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Vpatriota
Am I the only one that thought the AMG GTR Pro would have ran faster at N'ring? I know pulling off 6s from an already fast lap can be tough, but come one... I guess I'm just still p*ssed at the 991 GT2 RS.
they will likely run it again as it was very cold that morning, and tires were standard fare. WTBS, the black will be the de facto standard IMO and run well into 6:50 range.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
What some people are (conveniently?) forgetting is that the GT2 RS and GT3 RS runs were on the new Michelin SC2 ‘R’ tyre, which is much faster than an OEM SC2. So IF the ‘Pro’ had been run on the ‘Ring during warm conditions and on a equivalent tyre, it no doubt would be much faster.

Bish
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM

fun ones.

What some people are (conveniently?) forgetting is that the GT2 RS and GT3 RS runs were on the new Michelin SC2 ‘R’ tyre, which is much faster than an OEM SC2. So IF the ‘Pro’ had been run on the ‘Ring during warm conditions and on a equivalent tyre, it no doubt would be much faster.

Bish
The ZP and the R look identical(ie trimmed cup2) is there any info on what the exact difference is?

ive been told by others that they’re the same.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:43 PM

they will likely run it again as it was very cold that morning, and tires were standard fare. WTBS, the black will be the de facto standard IMO and run well into 6:50 range.
Fingers crossed!

Bish
Hey don’t get me wrong, I’m a Merc’ guy! I was thrilled when the AMG GTR set that 7m10s lap. But that 991 GT2 RS is runing almost 30s faster. Can you get that out from a set of tires, considering they’re not slick tires?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:40 PM

GT R PRO As A Placeholder

With all the model-to-model comparisons between the AMG GT series and the Porsche 911, I'm wondering if the GTR R PRO was developed to be a more direct competitor to the 911 GT3 RS (limited production, somewhat more track-focused than the GT R). That would position the Black Series to be head-to-head with the 911 GT2 RS. I wonder if Mercedes-AMG thought that the GT R PRO would beat the GT3 RS based on respective lap times at other circuits. I can imagine the angst if they need to announce the car at launch in L.A. and find that the lap time is 7.04 and not faster than the GT3 RS. Good to hear that M-B might repeat the test under better conditions. Given the way Mercedes-AMG is competing, I would expect the Black Series to have a design requirement that says "beat the GT2 RS' time". But just about then, Porsche might put more race tech into a street version of the new GT2 RS Clubsport or use hybrid technology like the Panamera Turbo S but with less of a weight penalty…. We're living in good times.

Road & Track has an online list of the top 10 Nürburgring lap times dated 11/28/18. It's easy to Google it. I need MBWorld 101 so I can learn how to paste in a link; here it is typed in one letter at a time. http://www.roadandtrack.com/carcultu...g-lap-records/ It's great because it includes lap videos. Here are the AMG & Porsche lap times among AWD and RWD cars:
Porsche GT 2 RS: 6:47.25
Porsche GT 3 RS: 6:56.4
AMG GT R PRO: 7:04.63
AMG GT R: 7:10.92

Wikipedia has a relatively recent list of top 'Ring lap times (GT R PRO not incl.) with indicates that factory drivers did all of the fast laps for the Porsche cars, all with factory support, as was the case with the 911 GT3 (7.12.7). Sport Auto did the AMG GT R 7:10.92, not Mercedes, and while their results are pretty quick, on the Porsche GT3 RS they were slower than the factory team by 4 seconds - of course there are a lot of variables. The Wikipedia listing includes dates, driver names and equipment (tires, deleted options, etc.).
thebishman (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:28 PM

2015 corvette Z06

i think mid 6:50, I’m just not sure the extra power will be that useable. Sure it’ll help on the long straights but likely won’t be able to accelerate any faster out of the turns. The top 4 are all rear weight biased and/or AWD, and we know mclaren and Ferrari would be up there if they cared.
thebishman (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:10 PM

With all the model-to-model comparisons between the AMG GT series and the Porsche 911, I'm wondering if the GTR R PRO was developed to be a more direct competitor to the 911 GT3 RS (limited production, somewhat more track-focused than the GT R). That would position the Black Series to be head-to-head with the 911 GT2 RS. I wonder if Mercedes-AMG thought that the GT R PRO would beat the GT3 RS based on respective lap times at other circuits. I can imagine the angst if they need to announce the car at launch in L.A. and find that the lap time is 7.04 and not faster than the GT3 RS. Good to hear that M-B might repeat the test under better conditions. Given the way Mercedes-AMG is competing, I would expect the Black Series to have a design requirement that says "beat the GT2 RS' time". But just about then, Porsche might put more race tech into a street version of the new GT2 RS Clubsport or use hybrid technology like the Panamera Turbo S but with less of a weight penalty…. We're living in good times.

Road & Track has an online list of the top 10 Nürburgring lap times dated 11/28/18. It's easy to Google it. I need MBWorld 101 so I can learn how to paste in a link; here it is typed in one letter at a time. http://www.roadandtrack.com/carcultu...g-lap-records/ It's great because it includes lap videos. Here are the AMG & Porsche lap times among AWD and RWD cars:
Porsche GT 2 RS: 6:47.25
Porsche GT 3 RS: 6:56.4
AMG GT R PRO: 7:04.63
AMG GT R: 7:10.92

Wikipedia has a relatively recent list of top 'Ring lap times (GT R PRO not incl.) with indicates that factory drivers did all of the fast laps for the Porsche cars, all with factory support, as was the case with the 911 GT3 (7.12.7). Sport Auto did the AMG GT R 7:10.92, not Mercedes, and while their results are pretty quick, on the Porsche GT3 RS they were slower than the factory team by 4 seconds - of course there are a lot of variables. The Wikipedia listing includes dates, driver names and equipment (tires, deleted options, etc.).
Although I agree with you in most ways, I don’t think the AMG GTR competes with the 991 GT3 RS. I mean, the MBenz is turbo’ed, and the Porsche is still NA. That makes a huge difference in power, torque, which by the way puts the AMG ahead on the dispute IMO. One point for Porsche already. Apart from that, the GT3RS is not the topnotch car of the brand, while the AMG GTR Pro apparently is, so another argument on behalf of the Stuttgart brand, for the sake of comparison. Pretty fair for me.

Second, the 991 GT2 RS appears to be almost “full track oriented”, with roll cage, weight relief and whatnot, while the AMG GTR Pro still has a ‘fancy’ interior and dashboard, and that makes me wonder if Mercedes Benz have not yet launched their ultimate “track focused” car - what the Black Series would be.

That gives me hope towards a sub-7min RWD Mercedes Benz. But burn almost 30seconds? I’m no race pilot, but I think 30s/lap is freaky faster. That is a really really impressive time, IMO. I’m eagerly waiting to go back to mocking all that Porscha-fans, goddamnit that GT2RS, that car is a beast.
thebishman (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by WhiteBlack

The ZP and the R look identical(ie trimmed cup2) is there any info on what the exact difference is?

ive been told by others that they’re the same.
I’ve only ever seen pictures of the ‘R’, but it does look incredibly similar to the SC2 ZP tyre doesn’t it? I suspect the ‘R’ is basically the same type of tyre as the ZP but in a non-RFT format with far ‘stickier’ rubber on the outside.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Fingers crossed!

Hey don’t get me wrong, I’m a Merc’ guy! I was thrilled when the AMG GTR set that 7m10s lap. But that 991 GT2 RS is runing almost 30s faster. Can you get that out from a set of tires, considering they’re not slick tires?
The GT R is not a competitor for the GT2 RS, but rather the 991.2 GT3.

The GT R ‘Pro’ is the 991.2 GT3 RS competitor at a 7:04 ‘Ring time, albeit I’m assuming using the MPSC2 ZP tyre, instead of the new ‘R’ which isn’t out in sizes for the GT R yet iirc. With the ‘R’ tyre or equivalent and during warm ambient temps, I’d bet the ‘Pro’ would be right up with the 991.2 GT3 RS’ ‘Ring time.

The 2020/21 BS variant will be the one gunning for the GT2 RS’ time.
Vpatriota (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:26 AM

fun ones.

I’ve only ever seen pictures of the ‘R’, but it does look incredibly similar to the SC2 ZP tyre doesn’t it? I suspect the ‘R’ is basically the same type of tyre as the ZP but in a non-RFT format with far ‘stickier’ rubber on the outside.
i had a look on tirerack and it appears the UTQG for both Cup2 and Cup2 ZP is 180 while the R is 150.

Funny that the old Cup (still listed on tirerack!) that we all used to run back in the day is rated at 80. Those things didn’t last 5 minutes!
thebishman (12-10-2018)
Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Deleted - I posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by benzbell; 11-17-2019 at 09:43 PM.