Sponsored by:

TERRIBLE SULFER SMELL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts
GLE400, 2017 Porsche 911S
TERRIBLE SULFER SMELL

I took an extensive test drive yesterday in a 2016 AMG GTS with around 1,300 miles. Car drove nice although I was struggling with the firmness of the seats. I do have a bad back and found the seats not too comfortable. My main concern came when I gave it a little aggressive throttle on the freeway. Within a few seconds I smelled the worse suffer smell that lasted for more than a minute. I want to call it a catalytic converter smell. I had that in a Lexus SC400 and they were never able to correct it. When we returned to the MB dealership, the service manager said he would look into it. Has anyone else experienced this? It is a real deal breaker for me if this cannot be corrected.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Wonder if car has primary cats removed or modified.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by wings02
I took an extensive test drive yesterday in a 2016 AMG GTS with around 1,300 miles. Car drove nice although I was struggling with the firmness of the seats. I do have a bad back and found the seats not too comfortable. My main concern came when I gave it a little aggressive throttle on the freeway. Within a few seconds I smelled the worse suffer smell that lasted for more than a minute. I want to call it a catalytic converter smell. I had that in a Lexus SC400 and they were never able to correct it. When we returned to the MB dealership, the service manager said he would look into it. Has anyone else experienced this? It is a real deal breaker for me if this cannot be corrected.

The service manager should be able to quickly turnup the problem with his digital tech instrument.

The seats are stiff when they are that new (1,300 miles) and as you may know there are seat adjuster switches on the side of the seat (you can’t see them but you can feel them).