Sponsored by:

No Extended Warranty by MB!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GTS
No Extended Warranty by MB!

I just bought a 2016 AMG GTS, with 50k miles. Great car. Problem was finding an extended warranty. It was no surprise to learn that Mercedes would not touch it, since the warranty had already expired. It was a BIG surprise to learn from my merc dealer that they don't do extended warranties on the AMG GT, even if I had brought it to them within the warranty. It surprised him too... So, heads up on that, check yourself if you don't believe it. Have them quote price if they think they do provide it, then they will see they don't. I checked with two dealers. It is alarming and disappointing that Mercedes doesn't believe in the car enough to extend the warranty. Then, my attention turned to finding a reputable after market insurance provider. After combing the forums and info online, I found there are only a few left out there, that will cover this car. many say they do, until you get to the quote phase, and find out they no longer cover it... I found a good one, that I wanted to share. Info is below. I found them to have a great exclusionary policy (the best you can get) and the price was about 4500 for 60k miles and 4 years coverage...at least in my situation. I only found one other company that would do it and they seemed shady to me. These guys price matched the other company. These guys provide their own underwriting and have been around for about 10 years with good BBB record. That was key to me and as I learned, most of these companies are just reselling for an underwriter...not these guys. Get some peace of mind while you can. It seems like the availability of insurance policies for extended warranty on these cars is drying up. If you plan to keep your car and think you will get a policy later, you may find by then, none are available. Again, Mercedes won't extend their warranty, which is sad. With the big wave of these cars coming out of warranty, and off lease, this is going to be an issue. One $30k engine issue will sink your opinion of this great car. If you get one of these policies, expect to put down 10%, to start process, then provide rest within a week or so. Policy started 30 days later. I am very pleased with their service and easy, no hassle sales process. The only sad part of my story is that I had the car one week and clipped a deer. I narrowly missed the doe, but did not see the following buck...he put his head on my windshield (cracking it) and flipped over car. luckily only scratches, glass, and passenger mirror were damaged...however, that mirror cost 4k to replace...different policy kicked in there, thankfully. I just received my permanent tag and car has been in body shop for last 3 weeks...it would be funny if not so sad. Enjoy those AMG GTs, they are great!

Contact info of the agent I used.
Charles Hughes charles.hughes[at]infiniteautoprotection.com
Infinite Auto Protection
(734) 396-6605
10000 Wayne Rd
Suite 202
Romulus, MI 48174

Last edited by aahh; 12-14-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Did they give you the car for free? I only ask because it has a high mileage for a 2 year old car. Furthermore there are plenty of 2016-2017 cars with several thousand miles on autotrader with price tags of $85-96k. I would have gotten a low mileage car with most of the features I wanted . YMMV.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:28 PM

AMG GTS
yep, got great deal...glad I got a proven car, not a hangar queen... most of those low mileage cars for less than 100k are lemon recalls...check again.

Last edited by aahh; 12-14-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by aahh
yep, got great deal...glad I got a proven car, not a hangar queen... most of those low mileage cars for less than 100k are lemon recalls...check again.

Congrats on your purchase and sorry to hear about the deer hit!

Still wanted to take a moment to respond to your comment about miles/price.
Besides the usual lemon/buyback titles at the low-end, there are plenty of low mileage/clear title cars for $90k...
I hope you didn't pay $100k for yours given the mileage and 2016 models under 50k miles are definitely no hangar queens. Normal mileage on these should be 7500-10K miles/year if well used, so 30k miles are pretty high mile cars IMO.

That said, MB does extend warranties on GT's but it depends on the situation. I went through the exercise when considering a private party purchase of a GTS w.factory warranty. They would have done it and if the dealer sells it, simply tell them that they have to CPO it.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 520 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
No extended warranty offer = more money in the owners pocket since an extended warranty is nothing more than a way for other people to make money off people that fear the future....... and ignore factual evidence.
The following users liked this post:
sno (12-18-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 AM

AMG GTS
Wolfman,
Of course, I did my research and am very pleased with my deal. Fully loaded, with color I wanted, carbon inside and out, upgraded seats and interior, dynamic plus, clean maint records and title, and new tires for about 75k. I had dealer check it out prior to buying...well cared for and driven car. Most online listings less than 100k do not have those options, or have some issue. Mine was an early 2016, so the miles were about 15k a year. As for them offering an extended warranty for car still under warranty, that is not true. Perhaps something changed, since you checked. I did the same thing, they claimed they could provide a warranty, so I gave them several VINs of for sale GT's and asked for a price of that extended warranty, they put it in the system and there is NO offer for this model or most other AMGs. Again, they were surprised as well. If you doubt this, call with either your VIN or a for sale VIN (find in online listing) and ask for price of extended warranty... you will find they don't offer it. CPO may be an option, it may not, particularly for second owners and private sales. That lack of MB backing their own cars is alarming, and not a good sign for future buyers, which is why I posted here. Btw, next year, many of the first cars come off warranty, by age. This is a big issue. I am just sounding the alarm.

Last edited by aahh; 12-15-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:02 AM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Katie22
No extended warranty offer = more money in the owners pocket since an extended warranty is nothing more than a way for other people to make money off people that fear the future....... and ignore factual evidence.
May be fear, but I will take that bet of $4500 over 4 years, and up to 110k miles (in my case) for that peace of mind. One transmission or engine issue, will far exceed that. Not to mention, it helps resale, when I do resell it some day. No brainer.
The following users liked this post:
rustybear3 (01-02-2019)
Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
I think it’s a great deal as long as you have an exclusive policy that’s clear.

I would agree that’s really high on mileage. There’s a lot fewer 16,17s than last time I checked.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Wolfman,
Of course, I did my research and am very pleased with my deal. Fully loaded, with color I wanted, carbon inside and out, upgraded seats and interior, dynamic plus, clean maint records and title, and new tires for 75k. I had dealer check it out prior to buying...well cared for and driven car. Most online listings less than 100k do not have those options, or have some issue. Mine was an early 2016, so the miles were about 15k a year. As for them offering an extended warranty for car still under warranty, that is not true. I did the same thing, they claimed they could provide a warranty, so I gave them several VINs of for sale GT's and asked for a price of that extended warranty, they put it in the system and there is NO offer for this model or most other AMGs. Again, they were surprised as well. If you doubt this, call with either your or a for sale VIN (find online listing) and ask for price of extended warranty... you will find they don't offer it. CPO may be an option, it may not, particularly for second owners. That lack of MB backing their own cars is alarming, and not a good sign for future buyers, which is why I posted here. Btw, next year, many of the first cars come off warranty, by age. This is a big issue. I am just sounding the alarm.
The car I was looking at had already been confirmed, but MB has been limiting the choice of extending warranties if sold via 3rd parties. This is on all MB models, not just GT's.
It's good to inform the forum as it was normal in the past that in-warranty MB's could be extended even if purchased elsewhere.

CPO is clearly the easy path if warranty is a big concern; a quick check on CPO AMG GTS yielded low mileage (under 15k miles) CPO cars at around $90k or below , so it's worth checking inventory from time to time with peace of mind.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 349 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
aaaah: Paragraphs are your friend. (And the readers' friend.) Please use them liberally. Then old geezers like me will be able to read what you post. Right now? Too daunting.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
aaaah: Paragraphs are your friend. (And the readers' friend.) Please use them liberally.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
G550
I just bought a 2016 AMG GTS, with 50k miles. Great car. Problem was finding an extended warranty. It was no surprise to learn that Mercedes would not touch it, since the warranty had already expired. It was a BIG surprise to learn from my merc dealer that they don't do extended warranties on the AMG GT, even if I had brought it to them within the warranty. It surprised him too... So, heads up on that, check yourself if you don't believe it. Have them quote price if they think they do provide it, then they will see they don't. I checked with two dealers. It is alarming and disappointing that Mercedes doesn't believe in the car enough to extend the warranty. Then, my attention turned to finding a reputable after market insurance provider. After combing the forums and info online, I found there are only a few left out there, that will cover this car. many say they do, until you get to the quote phase, and find out they no longer cover it... I found a good one, that I wanted to share. Info is below. I found them to have a great exclusionary policy (the best you can get) and the price was about 4500 for 60k miles and 4 years coverage...at least in my situation. I only found one other company that would do it and they seemed shady to me. These guys price matched the other company. These guys provide their own underwriting and have been around for about 10 years with good BBB record. That was key to me and as I learned, most of these companies are just reselling for an underwriter...not these guys. Get some peace of mind while you can. It seems like the availability of insurance policies for extended warranty on these cars is drying up. If you plan to keep your car and think you will get a policy later, you may find by then, none are available. Again, Mercedes won't extend their warranty, which is sad. With the big wave of these cars coming out of warranty, and off lease, this is going to be an issue. One $30k engine issue will sink your opinion of this great car. If you get one of these policies, expect to put down 10%, to start process, then provide rest within a week or so. Policy started 30 days later. I am very pleased with their service and easy, no hassle sales process. The only sad part of my story is that I had the car one week and clipped a deer. I narrowly missed the doe, but did not see the following buck...he put his head on my windshield (cracking it) and flipped over car. luckily only scratches, glass, and passenger mirror were damaged...however, that mirror cost 4k to replace...different policy kicked in there, thankfully. I just received my permanent tag and car has been in body shop for last 3 weeks...it would be funny if not so sad. Enjoy those AMG GTs, they are great!

Contact info of the agent I used.
Charles Hughes charles.hughes[at]infiniteautoprotection.com
Infinite Auto Protection
(734) 396-6605
10000 Wayne Rd
Suite 202
Romulus, MI 48174

Many congrats on ur gts! I would definitely get some reasonable warranty just to have some peace of mind.

My experience with CPO follows. In March I was about to sell my gts & was meeting with assistant mngr for preowned mercedes in Bethesda MD. He said that as the 1st owner I could buy CPO for my mercedes (can buy over the phone, without visit to dealer) up to 3 years & up to 100k total miles (2nd, 3rd, etc. owner can’t buy). So total warranty (including original warranty) is 7 years & 100k miles. But I have to buy CPO before the original 4-year 50k miles warranty expire.

He also said that another way to get CPO is if a Mercedes dealer sells the car with CPO (usually they do it for 1-year & unlimited miles). So total would be 5 years (including original warranty) & unlimited miles, which can be extended for a total of 7 years (including original warranty).

Anyways, his advise was to get the extended warranty from Continental. He said they were cheaper and reliable since he’s been using them for past 18 years.

Last month I sold g550 and the finance mngr in mercedes of south orlando, FL said the same thing about CPO warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by famguy:
California John (12-16-2018), garymac (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by famguy

Many congrats on ur gts! I would definitely get some reasonable warranty just to have some peace of mind.

My experience with CPO follows. In March I was about to sell my gts & was meeting with assistant mngr for preowned mercedes in Bethesda MD. He said that as the 1st owner I could buy CPO for my mercedes (can buy over the phone, without visit to dealer) up to 3 years & up to 100k total miles (2nd, 3rd, etc. owner can’t buy). So total warranty (including original warranty) is 7 years & 100k miles. But I have to buy CPO before the original 4-year 50k miles warranty expire.

He also said that another way to get CPO is if a Mercedes dealer sells the car with CPO (usually they do it for 1-year & unlimited miles). So total would be 5 years (including original warranty) & unlimited miles, which can be extended for a total of 7 years (including original warranty).

Anyways, his advise was to get the extended warranty from Continental. He said they were cheaper and reliable since he’s been using them for past 18 years.

Last month I sold g550 and the finance mngr in mercedes of south orlando, FL said the same thing about CPO warranty.
Good info! Only a small correction to limit confusion. Whoever bought the car new can extend the warranty as stated but it is not a CPO warranty. CPO is for pre-owned only and has slightly different coverage terms.
Always good to read the fine print to know what parts are actually not covered by the CPO warranty
Old 12-18-2018, 08:47 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
congrats on the ride...
Old 12-20-2018, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I just got back from my dealer and there is an extended coverage available from MB for my 2016 GTS...

The following 3 users liked this post by ronin amg:
300blackout (01-04-2019), California John (12-20-2018), thebishman (12-20-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
This is good news. I'll be taking delivery of a '16 GTS in the next few days.
Have to dig into the piggy bank for the 7yr/ 100K ELW.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Lifted G500, GT-S, track Cooper S
Originally Posted by ronin amg
I just got back from my dealer and there is an extended coverage available from MB for my 2016 GTS...

was that quote for a car purchased new or CPI? I wonder how the price would compare on a cpo car