Complete Loss Of Power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Complete Loss Of Power

Hello!

My first post -- didn't think it would be about this however.

Bought my 2017 AMG GT out of the Scottsdale AZ dealer last week with 4500 miles on it... fast forward a few days of great driving. Then this past Monday the car started fine -- get on the road and give it some gas and it has no power (extremely extremely slow acceleration).... as in you give it full throttle and it picks up like it has 200 HP, no weird noises, engine lights or warnings. I've attached videos of the acceleration (full throttle), as you can see when you floor it the turbo boost gauge goes to zero and feels like a dead weighted vehicle. [pardon video quality - due to compression]

Take it to the dealer immediately and they do their diagnostics and it returns no codes, nothing. They run through their tech workflows and everything is checking out just fine. End of the workflow they are on says to replace purge lines and subsequent valve? Part #'s 178 010 37 01 and 178 018 04 00. They then tell me those parts are on back order with no ETA and it could be best case 1 week or worst case 1 month to get them in. They also tell me the car is still OK to drive (per the tech), however I am weary of doing that. They have me in a loaner at the moment but this is extremely frustrating and not something I would expect to happen with only a few days of driving on a such a new GT.

What are your thoughts? I reached out to MBUSA and an "Executive Referral Manager" is supposed to be reaching out to me today.

Cheers!
Attached Files

Last edited by CerebCortexia; 01-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
That is strange. I watched the video. I would think that this might be one of those ctl alt delete moments. Our 18 GTC and 16 Maybach sound systems have both once locked up and required a reset in the menu on the screen. All was well thereafter.

I would think that a reset or even better a software reflash would be a possible and reasonable attempt to solve the problem.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Could be a number of things going on, of course. However, some thoughts/questions:

- does this happen at 4,000 rpms? if so, this could be the software limiting power output due to some issue
- read this thread, as folks with c63s and e63s have had similar symptom. https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ost-power.html
- I experienced this as well, at 4k rpms boost bleeds off...turns out I have a bad exhaust flap in a muffler. Flap gets stuck, ECU sees it, and cuts power above 4k rpm

Ah, and my car threw no codes either, which makes it extremely difficult to diagnose. Note the car does this 4k power limiting thing for several reasons...the exhaust flap one is common, however.

Replaced my vacuum lines/valve etc too, with no luck or improvement. Ensure the valves in your exhaust system are actuating as they should.

Last edited by Ralcbah; 01-10-2019 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Surge (09-27-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2022 Aston Martin Vantage 007 Edition
My car is doing exactly what yours did in the video!!! What ended up being the problem????
Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by CerebCortexia
Hello!

Bought my 2017 AMG GT out of the Scottsdale AZ dealer last week with 4500 miles on it... fast forward a few days of great driving. Then this past Monday the car started fine -- get on the road and give it some gas and it has no power (extremely extremely slow acceleration).... as in you give it full throttle and it picks up like it has 200 HP, no weird noises, engine lights or warnings. I've attached videos of the acceleration (full throttle), as you can see when you floor it the turbo boost gauge goes to zero and feels like a dead weighted vehicle. [pardon video quality - due to compression]

Take it to the dealer immediately and they do their diagnostics and it returns no codes, nothing. They run through their tech workflows and everything is checking out just fine. End of the workflow they are on says to replace purge lines and subsequent valve? Part #'s 178 010 37 01 and 178 018 04 00. They then tell me those parts are on back order with no ETA and it could be best case 1 week or worst case 1 month to get them in. They also tell me the car is still OK to drive (per the tech), however I am weary of doing that. They have me in a loaner at the moment but this is extremely frustrating and not something I would expect to happen with only a few days of driving on a such a new GT.

What are your thoughts? I reached out to MBUSA and an "Executive Referral Manager" is supposed to be reaching out to me today.

Cheers!
Does your car have an aftermarket tune ?
Old 12-13-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Link to update

Originally Posted by CerebCortexia
Hello!

Cheers!
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/754813-update-my-gts-issues.html#post7842607

Last edited by Bwilli3601; 12-13-2021 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Update
The following 2 users liked this post by Bwilli3601:
MAXWOOLF (12-14-2021), wizee (12-15-2021)