MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   997.2 Carrera 2S > ‘17 GT (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/732562-997-2-carrera-2s-e17-gt.html)

MidlifeAMG 01-10-2019 07:22 PM

997.2 Carrera 2S > ‘17 GT

Greetings. I did a thing today and swapped my 2009 911S for a ‘17 AMG GT with 8k miles. Porsche gave me 4 solid years as a loyal weekender so I’m hoping for the same here but wow it is such a different experience.

I definitely need to work on my garage parking skills with that long hood and unfortunately figure out a front license plate solution.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ab130f4f8.jpeg

Thanks to all for all the great info I’ve been quietly digesting over the past few months.

thxrick 01-10-2019 07:24 PM

Beautiful car! Congrats!

surfah 01-10-2019 07:38 PM

I daily drove my 997.1 C2S for 4 solid years and my 991 GT3 for 2 more. It takes a little while to get used to the AMG's long hood especially when negotiating narrow driveways and turns. Good thing we have front parking sensors but be careful of parking blocks and low curbs.

thebishman 01-10-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by surfah (Post 7651105)
I daily drove my 997.1 C2S for 4 solid years and my 991 GT3 for 2 more. It takes a little while to get used to the AMG's long hood especially when negotiating narrow driveways and turns. Good thing we have front parking sensors but be careful of parking blocks and low curbs.

This parking advice is super important and I’ll add one more thing: Always back into a parking space whenever you can using the camera to help guide you as to when to stop. This will avoid some expensive spoiler/splitter repairs.

Bish

AtTheGlen 01-10-2019 10:48 PM

Congratulations! Great looking car - the combination of wheels and paint will still look great 10 years from now - maybe longer. Enjoy! BTW, the 2020s will have a front camera. Perhaps it will be a reasonably simple upgrade on earlier GTs. We have one on our other car and it's takes all the guesswork and panic out of parking at a curb or seeing the line separating me from the facing car in a parking lot. It would be very customer-oriented if M-B/AMG made the upgrade simple and inexpensive.

AMG 17GT 01-11-2019 03:41 AM

You’ll be loving that V8 for sure.

If you keep those wheels and what a beefier look, you can use 15mm square hub centric spacers with no rub.

sno 01-11-2019 06:57 AM

congrats and welcome to the dark side... LOL she is a beauty!

xbox 01-11-2019 09:06 AM

Two fine and very different sports cars.

Would love to hear you thoughts on how they compare.

The v8 does have relentless shove and pickup!

MidlifeAMG 01-11-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by xbox (Post 7651395)
Two fine and very different sports cars.

Would love to hear you thoughts on how they compare.

The v8 does have relentless shove and pickup!

Well, I had the pleasure of enjoying DC beltway traffic yesterday in the GT. Much easier to deal with vs. the 911 (manual). I love and miss the third pedal but the GT definitely seems more ‘accessible’. It’s cold here in Maryland so the traction is just lousy but the car definitely pulls hard with a lot more drama. It has a “let’s have fun” personality where the 911 had a “let’s be serious” way about it. One is definitely not better than the other.

Any front license plate advice? My searches revealed a C300 bracket solution that might work. I will not drill into that beautiful front end.

JSwan724 01-11-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MidlifeAMG (Post 7651408)

Well, I had the pleasure of enjoying DC beltway traffic yesterday in the GT. Much easier to deal with vs. the 911 (manual). I love and miss the third pedal but the GT definitely seems more ‘accessible’. It’s cold here in Maryland so the traction is just lousy but the car definitely pulls hard with a lot more drama. It has a “let’s have fun” personality where the 911 had a “let’s be serious” way about it. One is definitely not better than the other.

Any front license plate advice? My searches revealed a C300 bracket solution that might work. I will not drill into that beautiful front end.

PERFORMANCE
Select S+ on your console and press the open exhaust button then get back to me.

FRONT LICENSE PLATE

There are a couple of fold away units that should work. One is electric. They should fold and hide away under the front bumper. Just bevery careful with the parking blocks and steep driveways. Back end parking is always a good idea.

Enjoy!!

thecutter64 01-11-2019 11:28 AM

I run my car without a front plate. Haven’t been stopped yet.

Parking nose first into a garage is no problem after you get familiar with the car. However, watch out for the parking blocks for sure. Ask me how I know :smash:

surfah 01-11-2019 03:58 PM

Sure feels different with the big V8 pulling you from the front than the flat 6 pushing you from the rear. I love the much higher torque in my GTS compared to my GT3, makes city driving much more enjoyable. The GT3 you really need to wind that flat 6 past 5K rpm to make the engine sing and feel that acceleration.

I have a front plate tow hook device I use once a year for safety check. Honestly, it's awkward looking and the nose of the AMG is so convex that the back of the plate rubs against the front bumper if you tighten the tow hook screw all the way.