Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMG GTS wheels peeling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, G63, AMG GTS, NSX, Wraith, SRT Viper, Huracan Performante, 570S, Z3 M Coupe, GT3 RS, Cayenne
AMG GTS wheels peeling

I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue with their wheels. I brought my car into the dealer because I saw my wheels clear coat peeling. I've never seen this happen before on stock wheels. I have 9,300 miles on the car and purchased the car Dec 2016, so it's not like these wheels are super old. Mercedes dealer is telling me its not covered under warranty and I must have painted the wheels. However, I never touched my wheels once and I don't know how to go about this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

(Yes I know the wheels are dirty in the pic )

Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Most probably the result of an acidic wheel cleaning product. Most of the crap sold in auto stores will do this over time.
The following users liked this post:
hyperion667 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Most probably the result of an acidic wheel cleaning product. Most of the crap sold in auto stores will do this over time.

I was thinking the same thing but could be a lot of other factors as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
That looks like a loss of adhesion which comes from underneath. Not sure how an acidic wheel cleaner could cause that. To me that would be more topical. Looks like it's going to be a squeaky wheel gets the grease kind of situation. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
This is 100% a warranty issue I’d bet from poor clear coating of the wheel at the factory. OP I’d call MB Customer support and escalate this plus go back and talk to the actual Service Manager.

‘WhiteBlack’ one of our UK members had all of his GT R wheels replaced because of this iirc.

Bish
Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 PM

SL600, G63, AMG GTS, NSX, Wraith, SRT Viper, Huracan Performante, 570S, Z3 M Coupe, GT3 RS, Cayenne
Originally Posted by thebishman
This is 100% a warranty issue I’d bet from poor clear coating of the wheel at the factory. OP I’d call MB Customer support and escalate this plus go back and talk to the actual Service Manager.

‘WhiteBlack’ one of our UK members had all of his GT R wheels replaced because of this iirc.

Bish
Thank you, that is what I will have to do I guess. Thanks for letting me know that was even a route I could pursue. I didn't think it was a wheel cleaning issue, because my car wash guy cleans all my cars and out of my 10 cars being cleaned, this is the only one with the clear coat peeling. Last week when my service advisor called me and said it wasn't a Mercedes issue, I complained about it. He said he had the service manager take a look at the wheels and decide that this peeling is caused from me having clear coated the wheels myself and doing a bad job. I would have absolutely zero reason to do any work to these wheels so that sorta angered me. But after hearing the reply from the service manager I wasn't sure if I could speak to someone higher up and get this taken care of. I will call MB Customer support and update this thread when I get an answer.

Thank you all for the replies!!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Mike,
What was the bases of the warranty denial? I've had MB compromise warranty issues when they cannot say for sure.

I noticed two things that point to lousy wheel cleaning that is, the build up of heavy brake dust around the lug bolts and a bubbling of the clear coat which is a sure sign of an aggressive acid cleaner. Most likely applied while the wheels were hot. You didn't mention who cleans the car whether its a detailer, you or a car wash. Some intervening cause is likely the reason pointing to the denial by MB and not the workmanship on wheel in their mind.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Mike,
What was the bases of the warranty denial? I've had MB compromise warranty issues when they cannot say for sure.

I noticed two things that point to lousy wheel cleaning that is, the build up of heavy brake dust around the lug bolts and a bubbling of the clear coat which is a sure sign of an aggressive acid cleaner. Most likely applied while the wheels were hot. You didn't mention who cleans the car whether its a detailer, you or a car wash. Some intervening cause is likely the reason pointing to the denial by MB and not the workmanship on wheel in their mind.

Good points. These cars have ridiculous brake dust and Mikes guy might have used a very strong acidic cleaner to get it off as opposed to his other cars.

but the denial of warrantee claiming that you clear coated your wheels is ridiculous. And I would ask for an offer of proof.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I have the cars cleaned by a detailer, he comes to my house on the weekend and cleans them. I believe the wheels wouldn't be hot because I rarely use the gts on the weekend. Usually Mercedes has been so easy going on any issues that come up so I was a bit in shock when they said they wouldn't cover this under warranty. I just find it a bit crazy that the wheels would even start peeling so quickly. It's not like the car is 5 years old.

The base of the denial from the dealership was that the wheels were painted from aftermarket because the AMG wheels don't come like that, and that the paint job had a bad clear coat so that is why it's peeling. . This I think is absurd. I haven't touched my wheels or painted them.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by ///Mike
Thanks for the info. I have the cars cleaned by a detailer, he comes to my house on the weekend and cleans them. I believe the wheels wouldn't be hot because I rarely use the gts on the weekend. Usually Mercedes has been so easy going on any issues that come up so I was a bit in shock when they said they wouldn't cover this under warranty. I just find it a bit crazy that the wheels would even start peeling so quickly. It's not like the car is 5 years old.

The base of the denial from the dealership was that the wheels were painted from aftermarket because the AMG wheels don't come like that, and that the paint job had a bad clear coat so that is why it's peeling. . This I think is absurd. I haven't touched my wheels or painted them.
Bingo! You have them trapped as the bases of denial is that it's not a MB wheel and it is. I'll PM you if you'd like. I have an identical set I bought for track use but changed my mind and used the forged ones. I believe they're edition one wheels so not that common.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:15 PM

Bingo! You have them trapped as the bases of denial is that it's not a MB wheel and it is. I'll PM you if you'd like. I have an identical set I bought for track use but changed my mind and used the forged ones. I believe they're edition one wheels so not that common.
Yes that'd be great, thank you! These are the edition one wheels, which is why I argued with them at first saying this is exactly how I got the wheels. But when the dealer was stuck on telling me no, I figured maybe I was in the wrong. Glad to see I am not and can pursue this.