Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Purchase a GTR: Looking for car history

Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW X5
About to Purchase a GTR: Looking for car history

Hi all. First post here... I'm currently in talks to buy a CPO GTR in Green Hell from an MB dealer in Charlotte, NC. Apparently, the carfax shows that the car has had 2 previous owners. The first one hardly drove it (82 mi), but the second owner drove it about 640 miles within 3 months. Carfax also shows that the second owner registered it in Charlotte, NC. Just wondering if anyone here might happen to know who that second owner was, or if they are familiar with it, might be able to give me some insight into the vehicle history. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
You are buying it from a MB dealer with a full warrantee who cares about the previous owners that paid more ?
640 mi. history ???? Just enjoy the car..
Old 01-16-2019, 02:11 PM

2011 BMW X5
I guess I'm just being ****. Might as well give it a shot here, so I can make the most informed decision possible.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
First guy either hated it or flipped it. Most likely the latter. If you're being **** as you said and I don't want to make you paranoid. I suppose you could have MB check the computer to make sure the engine wasn't revved up higher than the recommended 4500 rpm for the first thousand miles. I would also ask why the previous owner sold the car. Just for informational purposes only.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by DanC44
Hi all. First post here... I'm currently in talks to buy a CPO GTR in Green Hell from an MB dealer in Charlotte, NC. Apparently, the carfax shows that the car has had 2 previous owners. The first one hardly drove it (82 mi), but the second owner drove it about 640 miles within 3 months. Carfax also shows that the second owner registered it in Charlotte, NC. Just wondering if anyone here might happen to know who that second owner was, or if they are familiar with it, might be able to give me some insight into the vehicle history. Thanks!

Who the previous owners were isn’t as important as the service history. The dealer can make that available to you. See if there were multiple service visits and for what.

In MY EXPERIENCE the GTR is far better made and less susceptible to service visits than the GTS was.

Remember you can ask for a detailed CARFAX as well.

Best regards
Old 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by JSwan724

Who the previous owners were isn’t as important as the service history. The dealer can make that available to you. See if there were multiple service visits and for what.

In MY EXPERIENCE the GTR is far better made and less susceptible to service visits than the GTS was.

Remember you can ask for a detailed CARFAX as well.

Best regards
I have 11,000 mi. on my hard driven 2016 GTS and nothing but an oil change..
Old 01-16-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
Just buy it and enjoy, way too much thought being put into it

If having something/anything makes you more comfortable, just have MB dealer run VIN in service system to see any and all nationwide dealer service history.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 PM

2011 BMW X5
Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll keep it all in mind for whichever one I go with. Have my eye on a few different units up and down the east coast.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
It’s not even broken in yet. There’s probably no *** prints in the Dinamica. Just buy the one closest to you and be done with it. It’s also CPO. That’s as good or better than new . The other guys already paid the depreciation .
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
DanC44, I don't think you're being obsessive or paranoid. One would be prudent to do their research before spending this kind of money on a used car. GTRs are lower production and I don't think there's anything wrong with checking around on forums to see if anyone was willing to volunteer information about a particular car. Happens all the time on Lambo / Ferrari forums and members are happy to have conversations about the cars. Personally, I don't have any info on the car - just putting it out there.

Personally, I wouldn't just buy any car just because it is CPO. Let your judgement be your guide and buy the car that suits you and makes you feel comfortable. Everyone knows low mileage in itself means nothing and you are never guaranteed a trouble/worry free ownership experience whether you buy new or used.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Get an independent PPI if you're this worried about it. With that low mileage and existing OEM warranty I wouldn't stress over it.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 AM
sno

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
I agree about the CPO designation... from what I saw when I was looking it dont mean much. Carfax and MB service records are your best friends.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
just being a smarta$$ maybe it was only driven on sundays or other available track days....

but seriously I am amazed at the folks who buy some of these "toys" for a little while and move on.
I got my S63 coupe with 6700 miles on it and my GT-S with 9400.
The amount of money it cost the previous owners hurts my brain but I have no complaints whatsoever since it is still in my wallet.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 AM

2011 BMW X5
Nothing was immediately alarming on the carfax but I was a little uneasy about the fact that it already had two owners. I just worry that the more owners a car has had, the more it hurts its value. Just don't wanna overpay for the car. I say this all when comparing it to all the others that are currently on the market because most have only had one owner. Either way, I'm sure that over time many of these will have multiple owners so it'll all even out in the long run.
Truthfully I do plan on driving the car, unlike the previous owners, so this is probably all a moot point.

And bolton, you joke about being tracked, but I did see a couple of carfax's out there that had some red flags the car may have been previously tracked.

All that said, I ended up putting down a deposit on the car. Traveling to the dealership next weekend to check it out in person before I close the deal and have it shipped to me.
Thanks for all of your input!
Old 01-19-2019, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I agree with the OP in researching the history. At that low of mileage there probably hasn’t been any parts replaced. Take a look at tires and brake rotors. Tracked cars will have noticeable wear. Non track cars should look new. Look under front bumper for scuffs. Lower the airfoil manually to see its function and any damage. If you can take a GTR buff with you and have them look at the engine bay and underside for possible modifications. The CPU is likely to be unsealed if it is reprogrammed. OBD programming is very rare at this point. Look at the two radiators on either side of front bumper for rock damage. Look at the windshield for rock chip. This car is very prone. I replaced my windshield at 1k mile. Make sure you get the accessories that should come with the car like the battery tender and the separating net.
I know these are common sense items but I hope I helped a little. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
DanC44 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I agree with the OP in researching the history. At that low of mileage there probably hasn’t been any parts replaced. Take a look at tires and brake rotors. Tracked cars will have noticeable wear. Non track cars should look new. Look under front bumper for scuffs. Lower the airfoil manually to see its function and any damage. If you can take a GTR buff with you and have them look at the engine bay and underside for possible modifications. The CPU is likely to be unsealed if it is reprogrammed. OBD programming is very rare at this point. Look at the two radiators on either side of front bumper for rock damage. Look at the windshield for rock chip. This car is very prone. I replaced my windshield at 1k mile. Make sure you get the accessories that should come with the car like the battery tender and the separating net.
I know these are common sense items but I hope I helped a little. Good luck.
excellent tips!!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts
20 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 G63
Hey Dan, that was my car!. It's pristine my friend, I traded it back in November.... Sad to see it go, but needed a daily driver. I drove it around Charlotte, never tracked, fully ceramic pro'd, just serviced, and definitely not abused. The original owner was some executive that never drove the car to my knowledge, most GTR's had few miles on them from the factory. I bought it from euromotorcars, had fun with it for 3 months and had to give my fun up for the winter. If you picked it up or at least put a deposit on it, CONGRATS. My favorite AMG I've had thus far......Feel free to reach out anytime on it directly. You should drive that car back wherever you fly in from, HA, that would be a blast!

Last edited by AMGBEASTMODE; 01-19-2019 at 04:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMGBEASTMODE:
DanC44 (01-19-2019), EuroGermantown (01-23-2019), thebishman (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
There you go Cool.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Originally Posted by CLS63AMG15NC
Hey Dan, that was my car!. It's pristine my friend, I traded it back in November.... Sad to see it go, but needed a daily driver. I drove it around Charlotte, never tracked, fully ceramic pro'd, just serviced, and definitely not abused. The original owner was some executive that never drove the car to my knowledge, most GTR's had few miles on them from the factory. I bought it from euromotorcars, had fun with it for 3 months and had to give my fun up for the winter. If you picked it up or at least put a deposit on it, CONGRATS. My favorite AMG I've had thus far......Feel free to reach out anytime on it directly. You should drive that car back wherever you fly in from, HA, that would be a blast!
Nice to provide some owner's provenance.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:18 PM

2011 BMW X5
Whoa! Cool!! ... Thanks for posting up CLS! Hearing from you and your experience with the car definitely makes me feel way more comfortable. Sorry you had to see it go, but it works out great for me! haha! Yeah, I'll PM you if anything comes up or if I have any questions on it in the future. And I might consider driving it back if it had full PPF on it, but without it sounds like it could be rock chip hell. Would be super fun to take it down through the blue ridge pkwy and other mountain roads on the way back. Thanks again!

@Albuht813 Thanks for the input anyway. All very good tips.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:27 PM

2011 BMW X5
Whoa! Cool!! ... Thanks for posting up CLS! Hearing from you and your experience with the car definitely makes me feel way more comfortable. Sorry you had to see it go, but it works out great for me! haha! Yeah, I'll PM you if anything comes up or if I have any questions on it in the future. And I might consider driving it back if it had full PPF on it, but without it sounds like it could be rock chip hell. Would be super fun to take it down through the blue ridge pkwy and other mountain roads on the way back. Thanks again!

Albuht, thanks for the input anyway. All very good tips.