Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > AMG GT
Tuned AMG GT-R vs Tuned M6 - 1/2 Mile >

Tuned AMG GT-R vs Tuned M6 - 1/2 Mile

Notices
AMG GT The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle, the use of aluminium lightweight construction and its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuned AMG GT-R vs Tuned M6 - 1/2 Mile

 
Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 PM
  #26  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 972
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
You are correct, my old friend; driver error could well be the most likely reason. When I punch the throttle from a stop it's a pretty violent take-off in the GT R.

Bish


fully agreed !!
EVOII_Racer is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 03:46 PM
  #27  
Super Member
 
California John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 652
Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Convertible
Originally Posted by wrs488 View Post
I recall the sales guy saying that the car starts out in 2nd using C mode. Doesn't mean that it sits in 2nd at idle though.
Yeah it stays in first until shifting into second in the normal manner. It both idles and starts out in first. Wouldn't it be weird if it idled in first and as soon as you took your foot off the brake it shifted into second!
California John is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 PM
  #28  
Super Member
 
benzbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 520
Thanked 128 Times in 90 Posts
2018 GTR - 2018 C 63S
Didn't drive my GTR today to check. Rather I drove my C63 S, and indeed this car starts in second. My thinking on why first in some/all of the GT cars is because of the tall first gear. Just a guess.


benzbell is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:09 PM
  #29  
Super Member
 
California John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 652
Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Convertible
Originally Posted by benzbell View Post
Didn't drive my GTR today to check. Rather I drove my C63 S, and indeed this car starts in second. My thinking on why first in some/all of the GT cars is because of the tall first gear. Just a guess.
BTW, my 2016 GTS was the same as my 2018 GTC. Always first. Don't think it was because of how I drove it
California John is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:41 PM
  #30  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,424
Thanked 222 Times in 163 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by wrs488 View Post
I recall the sales guy saying that the car starts out in 2nd using C mode. Doesn't mean that it sits in 2nd at idle though.
So at a Stop/Idling the clutches in the DCT are not engaged, hence I'm not at all sure why the car would be in 1st gear when idling, only to change to 2nd when your foot comes off the brake.
Interesting, and something I need to experiment with when the Polar Vortex has buggered off! lol
thebishman is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:46 PM
  #31  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 52
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Then you need to get your car checked; there is absolutely no way that I experience a two second lag from a stand still.

If you are doing this; mashing the pedal when stopped, make sure you're not in 'C' mode since the car has 2nd gear engaged when stopped in that mode, and if you go and 'mash the pedal', the DCT 'might' be taking a second to engage first before taking off. That 'could' be a source of the lag of which you speak.

Bish
Yeah. I tried it in all modes when I took the car to the track. It did the same thing each time.
I think this can be seen in videos on Youtube, where the GTR is always seams to leave the line late, by late I mean the smallest of a fraction.
Am I splitting hairs, yes definitely. Given that the delay between amber lights is 0.500 seconds the car is reacting to my input about 1 to 1.5 seconds later.
It is not a big deal, I know now to compensate for it and I am mostly just racing the clock but in big HP grudge matches it will become an issue if the other driver can cut a good light.
The car does dig relatively hard, the best I could do was a 2.0 sixty foot on stock tires which is not bad I have just become a bit desensitized from years of drag racing.


.
canucklehead is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 PM
  #32  
Super Member
 
California John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 652
Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Convertible
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
So at a Stop/Idling the clutches in the DCT are not engaged, hence I'm not at all sure why the car would be in 1st gear when idling, only to change to 2nd when your foot comes off the brake.
Interesting, and something I need to experiment with when the Polar Vortex has buggered off! lol
The salesman is a moron. The car starts in first and shifts to second at some number of mph - depending on various variables! When I am toodling around town in Comfort it upshifts into 2nd at about 11mph. Salesmen often get fine details confused amongst different models. Of course we all qualify for "moronhood" at different times!
California John is offline  
Old 01-30-2019, 07:54 PM
  #33  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
emericr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 2,820
Thanked 105 Times in 91 Posts
2017 GT
I attended the event and here are my comments:
-AMG was well represented and all of the GTs were tuned. the highest mph was the GTR in this video at 156 and we were all in the low 15X.
-The setup was from a dig and not from a roll which explains the lower trap speed that some of you are mentioning.
-Traction was an issue all day and it got hot pretty quickly (80s by noon).
-Since there were a GT, GTS and GTR, the tuning showed that all models basically achieved the same trap speed. The force was a bit stronger with this GTR in the video but the claim of 700hp for tune only does not seem reasonable IMHO.
-My worse time was 151 and my best was 153. Car was very consistent. The hp claim of 650 on the wannagofast website is incorrect as I am only tuned and will ask them to change it to 600.
-A fully built Stage 3 (upgraded turbo) Weistec C63S ran a best of 169 (dyno of high 700) and put a beating on a Stage 3 (upgraded Turbo) 2018 M3 who ran a best of 161. 33 pounds of boost on the C63 is not for the faint of heart lol. Not sure why the C63 time is not on the website.
-One of my race was with a TT huracan and it was eye opening and a blast to witness what 1,300hp does to a car with less than half that horsepower. Felt like I was standing still when he passed me at the 1/8 marker lmfao. He clocked in 190+. He got outdone later by another Huracan who did the same thing to him and clocked 218mph (winner of the day).
-If you have never done of those events, I highly recommend it to anyone. It's a blast.
emericr is online now  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 AM
  #34  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,424
Thanked 222 Times in 163 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
Yeah. I tried it in all modes when I took the car to the track. It did the same thing each time.
I think this can be seen in videos on Youtube, where the GTR is always seams to leave the line late, by late I mean the smallest of a fraction.
Am I splitting hairs, yes definitely. Given that the delay between amber lights is 0.500 seconds the car is reacting to my input about 1 to 1.5 seconds later.
It is not a big deal, I know now to compensate for it and I am mostly just racing the clock but in big HP grudge matches it will become an issue if the other driver can cut a good light.
The car does dig relatively hard, the best I could do was a 2.0 sixty foot on stock tires which is not bad I have just become a bit desensitized from years of drag racing.


.
Have you tried using LC? Did it help
from a dig?
thebishman is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 AM
  #35  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
2018 GTR and 2018 E63 Wagon
I'd say the BMW driver used it's launch control feature and the Mercedes driver didn't, it makes a huge difference
BenzGTR is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 AM
  #36  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 708
Thanked 215 Times in 141 Posts
2018 AMG E63s wagon 2016 AMG GTS
Why the hell do you guys give a damn about who is faster in a straight line, a Sports Car is meant to corner not go straight.
Seriously you call yourselves drivers ?
ronin amg is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM
  #37  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,803
Thanked 211 Times in 181 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by BenzGTR View Post
I'd say the BMW driver used it's launch control feature and the Mercedes driver didn't, it makes a huge difference
i thought M6 was AWD and it launched like one off that line, so yeah that’s probably what happened. That and slow jump on GTR. I noticed when running these that you can get on the gas a touch early. It’s not lag, just a very slight hesitation.

LC on these is a PITA to setup at the line.
AMG 17GT is online now  
Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 PM
  #38  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 52
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT View Post


i thought M6 was AWD and it launched like one off that line, so yeah thatís probably what happened. That and slow jump on GTR. I noticed when running these that you can get on the gas a touch early. Itís not lag, just a very slight hesitation.

LC on these is a PITA to setup at the line.
Yes. Hesitation. I was calling it a lag, and I think some thought I was suggesting a bog or turbo lag which is not the case.
It is enough to get drug off the line if you don't compensate for it.
Agree, LC is useless, not enough time to set it up once staged and the result is just a bunch of wheel hop and spinning.
Need drag radials to take full advantage of LC but then if you are running drags you don't need LC.
canucklehead is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM
  #39  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,803
Thanked 211 Times in 181 Posts
R Nine T
Maybe sprint booster would help off line. Throttle response in all other gears is ridiculously great.
AMG 17GT is online now  
Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 PM
  #40  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
amg gt c roadster
Originally Posted by California John View Post

Yeah it stays in first until shifting into second in the normal manner. It both idles and starts out in first. Wouldn't it be weird if it idled in first and as soon as you took your foot off the brake it shifted into second!
I checked my wifes car today and it starts in first contrary to what the sales guy said.
wrs488 is offline  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:23 PM
  #41  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMG 17GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ATLANTA
Posts: 2,803
Thanked 211 Times in 181 Posts
R Nine T
Best way to launch with me was to completely take off ESC (press and hold for 2-3 ) and feather throttle 1/3 and then 2/3 a second or so later. Also, mich P4S 305s are way better than SS’s.
AMG 17GT is online now  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:29 PM
  #42  
Junior Member
 
Rausky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 67
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
AMG GT S
Originally Posted by ronin amg View Post
Why the hell do you guys give a damn about who is faster in a straight line, a Sports Car is meant to corner not go straight.
Seriously you call yourselves drivers ?
"old man yells at cloud"
Rausky is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rausky For This Useful Post:
ronin amg (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 06:26 PM
  #43  
Super Member
 
surfah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 556
Thanked 78 Times in 56 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
surfah is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 11:03 AM
  #44  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 1,424
Thanked 222 Times in 163 Posts
‘18 GT R; ‘17 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription; ‘14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife)
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
Yes. Hesitation. I was calling it a lag, and I think some thought I was suggesting a bog or turbo lag which is not the case.
It is enough to get drug off the line if you don't compensate for it.
Agree, LC is useless, not enough time to set it up once staged and the result is just a bunch of wheel hop and spinning.
Need drag radials to take full advantage of LC but then if you are running drags you don't need LC.

Isnít LC dead simple to use in the GT R? Be in Sport/Sport+/Race modes; come to a complete stop; push down on the brake pedal hard, and then floor the throttle. Revs rise to a pre-set and when youíre ready to go just rapidly release the brake.

Am I wrong? Granted I donít do 1/4-1/2 mile runs as I run on road courses, so Iíve rarely used LC.

Bish
thebishman is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 11:13 AM
  #45  
Super Moderator
 
Vic55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: THE Orange County, California
Posts: 11,710
Thanked 585 Times in 403 Posts
2017 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post



Isnít LC dead simple to use in the GT R? Be in Sport/Sport+/Race modes; come to a complete stop; push down on the brake pedal hard, and then floor the throttle. Revs rise to a pre-set and when youíre ready to go just rapidly release the brake.

Am I wrong? Granted I donít do 1/4-1/2 mile runs as I run on road courses, so Iíve rarely used LC.

Bish
In reality how good is LC on a RWD front engine car? I have never found it useful or practical in application on the GTS so I cant imagine the GTR is any better. Clearly it makes more sense in my M5, R8, NSX, etc.
Vic55 is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 PM
  #46  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 708
Thanked 215 Times in 141 Posts
2018 AMG E63s wagon 2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Rausky View Post
"old man yells at cloud"
Also wonders where all those other cars went as he reaches the top of the canyon alone...ahh those were the guys that only went straight...
ronin amg is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Tuned AMG GT-R vs Tuned M6 - 1/2 Mile


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: