MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   Tired of removing your ECU for power? Velos OBD II ECU tune now available (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/736352-tired-removing-your-ecu-power-velos-obd-ii-ecu-tune-now-available.html)

velosdesignwerks 02-19-2019 12:02 PM

Tired of removing your ECU for power? Velos OBD II ECU tune now available

Hey Members :wavey:
We are excited to announce our OBD II handheld option is finally available (no more removing ECUs :wootrock:). We will run an Spring promotion now through June for performance software for all AMG GT/GTS/GTC/GTR owners.

Below you will find some information on our performance software for the AMG GT/GTS/GTC/GTR Platform. For more information PM or email me at oliver@velosdesignwerks.com

AMG GT Gains:
Horsepower +115
Torque +147

AMG GTS Gains:
Horsepower +65
Torque +127

AMG GTR Gains:
Horsepower +60
Torque +115

AMG GTC gains:
Horsepower + 97
Toruqe + 65

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4579/3...73630d1e_z.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...d8606c6d54.jpg

sno 02-20-2019 05:55 AM

That is great! Does it also let you return to stock mapping for dealer visits?

velosdesignwerks 02-20-2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by sno (Post 7686220)
That is great! Does it also let you return to stock mapping for dealer visits?

Yes sir, that is correct!

thebishman 02-20-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks (Post 7686317)
Yes sir, that is correct!

I’m assuming that the ECU ‘re-map’ is obvious to a dealership service dept should there be a drivetrain issue?

Bish

velosdesignwerks 02-20-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 7686339)

I’m assuming that the ECU ‘re-map’ is obvious to a dealership service dept should there be a drivetrain issue?

Bish

No it is not. The software version during this read,edit, and then write process remains the same. With the handheld whether the vehicle goes in for service or a drivetrain issue is recommended to return the vehicle to its original configuration so the “state” of the handheld will allow you to re-read after the dealer. Obviously if you have a relationship where the dealership will not update your software then this will not apply to you. The service department has the ability to over write your software but nothing can be seen from a dealership level.

jstewperry 02-20-2019 12:24 PM

How does this compare to Eurocharged?

velosdesignwerks 02-21-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by jstewperry (Post 7686472)
How does this compare to Eurocharged?

I cannot speak on behalf of other manufacturers but I can only advise on our product.

AMG 17GT 02-21-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks (Post 7686351)
No it is not. The software version during this read,edit, and then write process remains the same. With the handheld whether the vehicle goes in for service or a drivetrain issue is recommended to return the vehicle to its original configuration so the “state” of the handheld will allow you to re-read after the dealer. Obviously if you have a relationship where the dealership will not update your software then this will not apply to you. The service department has the ability to over write your software but nothing can be seen from a dealership level.

Well Stephen There’s more to it than just the version of software being the same. They can run diagnostics on parameters in the ECU and note that some parameters may have been exceeded. Also, it’s not just the ECU, there are numerous can buses on the vehicle that store data that can be reviewed.

ronin amg 02-21-2019 03:45 PM

The OBD2 flasher will still leave a reflash count trail if it is thought to be flashed.

The only real way to do it is just buy a bone stock ecu for service work and swap back the tuned unit...:D

velosdesignwerks 02-21-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7687615)

Well Stephen There’s more to it than just the version of software being the same. They can run diagnostics on parameters in the ECU and note that some parameters may have been exceeded. Also, it’s not just the ECU, there are numerous can buses on the vehicle that store data that can be reviewed.

Thanks for your reply. Any modification is only done to the tuning area of the ECU which varies depending on the make and model of the vehicle (microprocessor, eprom, etc). Regarding anything that can be logged the only thing that may come up would be highest mph, boost levels are adjusted ever so slightly but torque limiters etc are not logged. To reiterate at the dealership level this is not done and when the dealer connects the default is to perform an update if necessary based on your version... what we are saying is there are absolutely NO red flags when it comes to that. Tuning is definitely not for everyone it just awesome that over time new communication methods become available for the enthusiasts looking for this option. On this biturbo platforms everyone began years ago with opening ecu’s and flipping boards to now allowing the end user to do the upgrade in the comfort of their own home!

velosdesignwerks 02-21-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ronin amg (Post 7687682)
The OBD2 flasher will still leave a reflash count trail if it is thought to be flashed.

The only real way to do it is just buy a bone stock ecu for service work and swap back the tuned unit...:D

Hey, thanks for the reply and love your E wagon. Correct but once again since I can remember, maybe 2001-2002 with the E46 M3 (albeit a BMW) flash counters have been around. Under normal service, etc this is not an issue or protocol but by all means anyone that has tuned any vehicle in the past 20 years should be advised there is an OBD2 counter. Same goes for all W204 C63 and other models. Another option is to do this on the bench without opening the ECU. Options for all which is the name of the game and just excited to be able to offer this to the end user.

ronin amg 02-21-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks (Post 7687683)
Thanks for your reply. Any modification is only done to the tuning area of the ECU which varies depending on the make and model of the vehicle (microprocessor, eprom, etc). Regarding anything that can be logged the only thing that may come up would be highest mph, boost levels are adjusted ever so slightly but torque limiters etc are not logged. To reiterate at the dealership level this is not done and when the dealer connects the default is to perform an update if necessary based on your version... what we are saying is there are absolutely NO red flags when it comes to that. Tuning is definitely not for everyone it just awesome that over time new communication methods become available for the enthusiasts looking for this option. On this biturbo platforms everyone began years ago with opening ecu’s and flipping boards to now allowing the end user to do the upgrade in the comfort of their own home!

So are you saying that MB will not see a reflash count that differs from their service records ?

velosdesignwerks 02-21-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ronin amg (Post 7687704)
So are you saying that MB will not see a reflash count that differs from their service records ?

Hey,

Not sure when this was sent but I think it makes sense to talk to your writer or send in the ECU. Tuning is just that, tuning, so whether you are adding a supercharger kit to a W204 or Tuning a New G Wagon 4x4 you are stepping out of what any dealer would recommend. Options are the important thing and in the AMG GTS case your ECU removal takes less than 10 minutes so your options are wide open.

ronin amg 02-21-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks (Post 7687720)
Hey,

Not sure when this was sent but I think it makes sense to talk to your writer or send in the ECU. Tuning is just that, tuning, so whether you are adding a supercharger kit to a W204 or Tuning a New G Wagon 4x4 you are stepping out of what any dealer would recommend. Options are the important thing and in the AMG GTS case your ECU removal takes less than 10 minutes so your options are wide open.

You didn't answer my question..
So in other words any tune will be seen by MB service if they choose to look...the flash counter will be seen by MB.

velosdesignwerks 02-21-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ronin amg (Post 7687773)
You didn't answer my question..
So in other words any tune will be seen by MB service if they choose to look...the flash counter will be seen by MB.

Thanks for the reply, my apologies. Answer - I have never seen anyone flagged or have a dealer looked at a flash counter for BMW or Mercedes. I would consult with your Service adviser or consider an alternate method i.e. sending your ECU so that is not a concern.

ronin amg 02-21-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks (Post 7687778)
Thanks for the reply, my apologies. Answer - I have never seen anyone flagged or have a dealer looked at a flash counter for BMW or Mercedes. I would consult with your Service adviser or consider an alternate method i.e. sending your ECU so that is not a concern.

Dude it's a yes or no answer... I'll help you out.. YES, it will show up if the dealership scans your ECU for a flash tune no matter how it is done.

Mercedes does notice the difference between a tuned and a stock car when ever they do a road test, I know this for fact first hand.
The only way around a very possible warrantee cancelation is to have a second bone stock ECU installed before the car is in for service or repair.

velosdesignwerks 02-21-2019 06:14 PM

Thanks for your response and I respect and appreciate it 100%. My response stays the same, with several options for the enthusiasts when it comes to modifying your vehicle im confident there is a solution for everyone! Amazing stable and enjoy in great health.

Also received two pm’s regarding “stages”, there are detuned options as in a Stage 1 for those looking for that as well as those with larger turbos etc.

P Rock 02-21-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7687615)

Does this only apply to this OBD II style tune or all tunes available for this car?

AMG 17GT 02-22-2019 02:32 AM

Any tune is my understanding.

DriveAMG 02-22-2019 11:00 AM

2nd ECU

Originally Posted by ronin amg (Post 7687790)
Dude it's a yes or no answer... I'll help you out.. YES, it will show up if the dealership scans your ECU for a flash tune no matter how it is done.

Mercedes does notice the difference between a tuned and a stock car when ever they do a road test, I know this for fact first hand.
The only way around a very possible warrantee cancelation is to have a second bone stock ECU installed before the car is in for service or repair.

how is it possible to run 2 ECU’s in one car? I was told and understood that once married to the car only one at a time is possible. Swapping would not be possible. Can this be done?

thebishman 02-22-2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by DriveAMG (Post 7688269)

how is it possible to run 2 ECU’s in one car? I was told and understood that once married to the car only one at a time is possible. Swapping would not be possible. Can this be done?

When you buy a new OEM ECU it is slaved to the VIN of the car iirc. Hence easy to switch out the original, now tuned ECU for the ‘virgin’ purchased ECU.

ronin amg 02-22-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by DriveAMG (Post 7688269)

One has your performance tune and one is bone stock. Simply swap them out, takes 2 min. tops and then visit the dealership..
The dealership will install and factory flash your new stock ECU.

thecutter64 02-22-2019 10:36 PM

How can you get a second ECU? What is the cost of a new ECU?

benzbell 02-22-2019 11:17 PM

I would imagine a lot. Most likely not a common item to order from parts - lol. If so it would be based off your VIN and the cat would be out of the bag.

ronin amg 02-23-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by thecutter64 (Post 7688739)
How can you get a second ECU? What is the cost of a new ECU?

Dealership can order it for you, I forget what I paid but it's less than the cost of any tune.