MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   GTR Road Trip to Laguna Seca... (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/736835-gtr-road-trip-laguna-seca.html)

benzbell 02-24-2019 07:52 PM

GTR Road Trip to Laguna Seca...

Driving 650 miles in my GTR to the Performance driving event at Laguna Seca on Monday, March 4th. Anyone from here going to be there? Because of logistics/connecting flights and where I'm located. It's the same amount of time to drive versus flying. Also this means I don't have to mess with a car rental, airports and other associated hassles. Plus, I have a buddy going with me for company. My daughter who is nineteen. Although I did have to bribe her - $$ and shopping in Carmel. Won't say how much - lol.

BucsFan 02-24-2019 08:56 PM

I will miss you by a couple of days. Performance on the 6th, Advanced on the 7th and 8th.

sneezix 02-24-2019 09:17 PM

Have you driven that far in that car, before? I hope that your daughter's still talking to you, when you get home. ;-)

benzbell 02-24-2019 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sneezix (Post 7690068)
Have you driven that far in that car, before? I hope that your daughter's still talking to you, when you get home. ;-)

Yeah - she'll be fine. Most I've gone is 150 miles in one stretch. Hopefully after her shopping trip in Carmel. I'll have enough money left to buy gas for the return trip - lol.

benzbell 02-24-2019 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by BucsFan (Post 7690053)
I will miss you by a couple of days. Performance on the 6th, Advanced on the 7th and 8th.

Too bad. Would have loved to met up with someone from the forum. Makes sense you knocking out three days coming all the way from Florida to do so.

susman@eurogermantown.com 02-25-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BucsFan (Post 7690053)

nice :) Id assume you'd have gone to Road Atlanta or COTA.. but Laguna is awesome.. watch some videos

I think the events will get less crowded as the years go on.. they just eliminated the free-ness for 35/43/53 AMG customers (less 53 amg GT sedan people).. I think they will pay $895 of the $1895...

lap starts at 1:40

lap starts at 53 seconds

BucsFan 02-25-2019 12:00 PM

I agree, it would be fun to meet other forum members.

I have taken my GTC on long trips and it's great. I drove it down from Maryland where I got if it from Shahul. Took an indirect route so about 1400 miles in 2 days. Been to Tampa twice, about 450 miles round trip. It's great and although the seats are firm, even with my bad back, I get out feeling good. Your GTR should be pretty similar.

susman@eurogermantown.com 02-25-2019 12:01 PM

better view..less cinematography

Katie22 02-27-2019 03:04 PM

We drove our trade in Corvette from Space Coast Florida to Denver, brought the GTC and drove it home the long way to the West end of Colorado and then South to I10.

Car was wonderful!

cyberorth 03-02-2019 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by sneezix (Post 7690068)

I was worried about this, but this car is a pleasure to drive long distance. I have done that drive and was not at all disappointed or overly tired.

cyberorth 03-02-2019 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7690022)
Driving 650 miles in my GTR to the Performance driving event at Laguna Seca on Monday, March 4th. Anyone from here going to be there? Because of logistics/connecting flights and where I'm located. It's the same amount of time to drive versus flying. Also this means I don't have to mess with a car rental, airports and other associated hassles. Plus, I have a buddy going with me for company. My daughter who is nineteen. Although I did have to bribe her - $$ and shopping in Carmel. Won't say how much - lol.

Darn it! I am going for the pro on 3/9, leaving the OC on 3/8. Where do you live?

benzbell 03-02-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by cyberorth (Post 7694993)
Darn it! I am going for the pro on 3/9, leaving the OC on 3/8. Where do you live?

Right outside of Vegas.

cyberorth 03-02-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7695031)
Right outside of Vegas.

enjoy the drive and be safe.

550x2 03-02-2019 06:26 PM

I知 driving up from LA in my2019 GTC. It痴 my first long trip in it. Can稚 wait for the class on Monday! Where are you going to stay?

benzbell 03-02-2019 09:37 PM

Monterey Marriott in downtown Monterey. It's within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf. I grew up in Monterey. I'm def. excited for this trip for sure. I'll stand up during class and announce I'm looking for 550x2 - lol.

550x2 03-02-2019 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7695617)
Monterey Marriott in downtown Monterey. It's within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf. I grew up in Monterey. I'm def. excited for this trip for sure. I'll stand up during class and announce I'm looking for 550x2 - lol.

ill see you there! I知 just going to wing a hotel when I get there. There are so many in the area I値l just pick one!

benzbell 03-02-2019 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 550x2 (Post 7695619)
ill see you there! I知 just going to wing a hotel when I get there. There are so many in the area I値l just pick one!

Awesome. I'll wear the bag so you can easily pick me out of the crowd.

cyberorth 03-03-2019 12:36 AM

:rolf:

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7695645)

550x2 03-03-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7695645)

Didnt the unknown comic do that way back when?,

BucsFan 03-04-2019 10:55 AM

You two are lucky you are missing the rain. I will be there Wed-Fri and it will be soaked.

benzbell 03-09-2019 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BucsFan (Post 7696723)
You two are lucky you are missing the rain. I will be there Wed-Fri and it will be soaked.

Yes - we missed the rain. Hoping it cleared a bit here and there for you. I stayed several extra days with my daughter and the rain was on/off.

benzbell 03-09-2019 10:13 AM

Stayed several extra days. The event was a blast and very well put together/organized as others have said. Put exactly 1,334 miles on the clock. Car performed flawlessly and was a lot fun. My daughter didn't seem to mind one bit. Car was def. filled up from her shopping trip however. Had to take a pic with some seaweed in the wheel wells - lol. That will never happen again. Compliments of the 17-mile drive in Pebble Beach. At Fisherman's Wharf she ordered a soft pretzel appetizer stuffed with crab and this is what came out. No joke - you could have fed 4 adults on this thing. I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken pics of food at a restaurant, and this was one of them. Just plain silly. Next is a pic in Carmel by Scenic Rd. and finally a beach pic on the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach. So glad I drove my GTR down to LS/Monterey Peninsula. Best thing about it all was spending the time with my daughter. All you dads with daughters know exactly what I'm talking about. First track event and I def. want more. Got the bug now I guess. With all of the people at the event 90-100 wasn't able to find 550x2. Need a better plan next time to meet up with someone at an event like this.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fd3cfd8808.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...fdbe36cfe4.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...ea3b381b1c.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2ea6d85ee5.jpg

BucsFan 03-10-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell (Post 7701078)
Yes - we missed the rain. Hoping it cleared a bit here and there for you. I stayed several extra days with my daughter and the rain was on/off.

We had quite a bit of rain during the Performance class on Wednesday and the first day of Advanced on Thursday. Since I am new to the track, driving in the wet was great for forcing us to be smooth (it was obvious when we weren't) and learning to find the rain line versus the dry line. Now I will feel a lot more confident if it rains on an HPDE day. Friday was pretty dry, so we got to push the cars during our data/video laps. Fantastic program, and I feel like the weather worked out pretty well.

It's great that you could tour with your daughter. I miss the dad/daughter trips we used to take for lax. My wife and I did the 17 mile road too. What a drive! Lunch at Pebble Beach overlooking the 18th, then up the coast to check out Mavericks. Red-eye home last night, now I need a nap.

ZephyrAMG 03-11-2019 01:36 AM

Great pics and thanks for sharing the trips stories. That appetizer looks amazing. Glad to hear the GTR performed better than expected!