MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Coupe/Roadster (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster-245/)
-   -   I’m debating deleting my Secondary Cats... (https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/738638-iim-debating-deleting-my-secondary-cats.html)

DriveAMG 03-14-2019 01:03 PM

I’m debating deleting my Secondary Cats...

But I don’t want drone and I want more bark and a bit more volume. I’ve read all the threads and I’m almost ready. What’s holding me back is not being able to hear any sound clips. Does anyone have any clips they can share or post? Thanks for your help!

AMG 17GT 03-14-2019 01:08 PM

All the threads tell you what specifically? And what do they say about vids?

DriveAMG 03-14-2019 01:39 PM

What is it you want to say?

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT (Post 7705432)
All the threads tell you what specifically? And what do they say about vids?

I’ve made a specific request for a sound clip as I am unable to find any. Cheers

AMG 17GT 03-14-2019 01:50 PM

Ok well I say this because every thread says same thing.....that vids and recordings don’t capture true depth of sound.

This is is the easiest way to get more of the same an octave lower as I’ve said before. There is no drone as every thread has confirmed

DriveAMG 03-14-2019 02:20 PM

Alright then.

Thank you!. Lastly anyone done this in the TORONTO area that I can meet up with in person?

Petegtsv10 03-14-2019 05:34 PM

Deeper sound. No drone.

Orcbolg 03-14-2019 05:43 PM

Do it! Seriously, 0 drone, much better sound. The best part is, in Comfort, it's still very quiet.

This is the best comparison I can make, granted, I'm positive the gal in the second video is driving around in Race mode.

Stock:

Res delete:

Rausky 03-14-2019 06:27 PM

No video will really capture how good these cars sound. Videos always fail to capture that really deep grumble and makes all exhausts sound the same imo, you have to hear it in person

Knight_rider 03-14-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DriveAMG (Post 7705429)
But I don’t want drone and I want more bark and a bit more volume. I’ve read all the threads and I’m almost ready. What’s holding me back is not being able to hear any sound clips. Does anyone have any clips they can share or post? Thanks for your help!

I’m in the same boat that I’d like to hear what I might be getting. That said I’ve removed them on all my previous cars and liked the results so as the soon as the snows off the road I’m getting them removed! In the extremely unlikely event I don’t like the sound, It’d be a simple fix to have them welded back in.

rustybear3 03-14-2019 07:18 PM

Just realize you could fail your emission testing, depending on which state you live in.

Orcbolg 03-14-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rausky (Post 7705707)
No video will really capture how good these cars sound. Videos always fail to capture that really deep grumble and makes all exhausts sound the same imo, you have to hear it in person

Not perfectly, of course, as input and output of the audio makes a big difference, but the videos I posted are VERY accurate from my personal experience having done the mod in the last 2 weeks.

DavidZhu 03-14-2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DriveAMG (Post 7705454)
I’ve made a specific request for a sound clip as I am unable to find any. Cheers

ok ok ill go down to my garage right now and make a sound clip and post here later

DriveAMG 03-14-2019 11:02 PM

Thank you

Originally Posted by DavidZhu (Post 7705795)
ok ok ill go down to my garage right now and make a sound clip and post here later

the second video with the camo wrap. Sounded great but was that dp as well as no secondaries?

Orcbolg 03-15-2019 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by DriveAMG (Post 7705899)
the second video with the camo wrap. Sounded great but was that dp as well as no secondaries?

If it is, it sounds identical to my car with nothing done to it but secondary cat delete. That said, most of the videos of DP only cars I've seen, sound more metallic and allow more of the turbo spool sound through, but I'm not an expert.

Regardless, I can guarantee, based on my experience, that there is 0 drone from this mod, and it just increases the volume to a better level, and lowers the note an octave.

If you hate it, you can always have to re-weld the cats back.

Knight_rider 04-02-2019 12:24 PM

For those that have had the delete done, was it simply a case of cutting the cats out insitu or was it necessary for the exhaust to be removed? I’ve just got back from my local ‘custom’ exhaust shop and they’re saying the down pipes have to come off to do this?

What I thought should be a fairly simple job is now being quoted as a days work...

AMG 17GT 04-02-2019 12:32 PM

Cut out. Find another shop.

Orcbolg 04-02-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Knight_rider (Post 7721610)
For those that have had the delete done, was it simply a case of cutting the cats out insitu or was it necessary for the exhaust to be removed? I’ve just got back from my local ‘custom’ exhaust shop and they’re saying the down pipes have to come off to do this?

What I thought should be a fairly simple job is now being quoted as a days work...

They probably don't realize there are 2 sets of cats, and are quoting you for the removal of the primary cats, which are part of the DPs, which I advise against. If they drop the panel in the rear, they will have access to the secondary cats (AKA resonators).

palub 04-02-2019 01:51 PM

go to JPG exhaust in Oakville. He has done the deletes for a bunch of my friends benz's. I don't think he ever paid more than $150

Knight_rider 04-02-2019 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Orcbolg (Post 7721686)
If they drop the panel in the rear, they will have access to the secondary cats (AKA resonators).

Panel in the rear? Am I mistaking the primaries for secondaries? From what I saw, the cats I saw were on the end of the downpipes (didn’t look up towards the turbos). Should I be looking closer to the rear axle?

Knight_rider 04-02-2019 02:08 PM

:shakehead

Originally Posted by palub (Post 7721711)
go to JPG exhaust in Oakville. He has done the deletes for a bunch of my friends benz's. I don't think he ever paid more than $150

Huh! We’re generally charged that for entering the shop here! If only it wasn’t for the 3500 kms... :shakehead

Orcbolg 04-02-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Knight_rider (Post 7721720)
Panel in the rear? Am I mistaking the primaries for secondaries? From what I saw, the cats I saw were on the end of the downpipes (didn’t look up towards the turbos). Should I be looking closer to the rear axle?

You're right, I may have been thinking about the underside backwards. Now I'm going to have to lift the car to double check. Either way, as far as the shop is concerned, it should be a simple cut and weld.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...61761c8050.jpg

P Rock 04-02-2019 10:58 PM

How many cats are on the stock downpipes? 4?

I see some aftermarket downpipes with what looks like 2 cats and others that have none.

AMG 17GT 04-03-2019 07:47 AM

Yes as in picture above 4. A lot of DP’s have 200 cell cats attached.

emericr 04-03-2019 11:11 AM

Cheapest mod on the car. Exactly what you want, no negatives. Should cost you $200 or so and fully reversible.

Nwills 04-25-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by DriveAMG (Post 7705493)
Thank you!. Lastly anyone done this in the TORONTO area that I can meet up with in person?

let me know if you get it done and we can meet up so I can hear your car!

I’m debating it as well and the place I called here in Oakville was very reasonably priced but they also told me that odds are I wouldn’t even be able to notice any difference at all!

Not sure what to make of it considering so many here have suggested it makes a considerable difference in sound?