Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used, refurbished wheels on EBay

Old 03-22-2019, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 219 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Used, refurbished wheels on EBay

I needed a set of wheels for my daughters CLA. I’ve found some refurb wheels on eBay . They claim they wheels are just refinished and were never bent or welded. Can you trust these wheels? Will I be able to tell if they were welded and refinished?

Should I avoid eBay retailers for used OEM wheels?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by thecutter64
I needed a set of wheels for my daughters CLA. I’ve found some refurb wheels on eBay . They claim they wheels are just refinished and were never bent or welded. Can you trust these wheels? Will I be able to tell if they were welded and refinished?

Should I avoid eBay retailers for used OEM wheels?
I would do a Google search of reviews of the merchant and their products prior to any purchase.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I saw two retailers that claim the use only cosmetically damaged wheels, no bends, cracks or welds. They recondition them to like new condition with fresh powder coat and machine polished face.

they got all good reviews and one had A+ rating on BBB.

They both offer guarantees and returns.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
I have used these type of wheels before with no issues. I am pretty sure if you drive your cars at all, you probably have at least one bent wheel right now. If you bought your car used you probably have at least one repaired wheel on your car. Bent wheels are pretty common.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m sure you’re right. Is it safe to use a wheel that’s been straightened? Is the wheel more likely to break if you hit another pothole?

I wasn’t sure if remachining weakens the integrity of the aluminum . All the manufactures warn against reconditioning wheels . I’m sure they just want to sell you a new one
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
If the wheels are Forged it can be a bit more difficult to fix them, but other than that you will be fine. I have seen 7k (a piece) Ferrari wheels repaired and put back on a car and they are just like new.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
I have bought 2 complete sets of used AMG GT-S wheels on eBay and all 8 wheels and tires were fine, but they were not listed as re-furbished. I also bought a set of used OEM wheels for my C class, and one was bent. It was simpler and cheaper to just get a local wheel shop to fix the bent wheel than to work out the issue with the eBay vendor, whom I never bothered to contact. But it would have been different if it was the much costlier AMG GT-S wheels. And the repaired wheel is fine, used it for a few years now.

When you buy stuff on eBay, there is always a chance you won't be happy, but that doesn't stop me. Always a bunch cheaper than the dealer's price.