Sponsored by:

'16 AMG GTS Navigation (COMAND)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
'16 AMG GTS Navigation (COMAND)

Hey all...I've taken about a 5 year break or so from MBs (at least ones worth being on the forum to discuss), but am back with a 2016 AMG GTS...it's currently shipping to me from Illinois to Germany, and I've searched long and hard for navigation information; to no avail.

My wife has a GLA250 (US Spec) that we picked up--and was able to secure an SD card with all of the European countries on it (democratic ones, at least). I checked with the same shop for one for the GTS, and was told they don't exist. Leads me to believe there is a harddrive map system for the GTS; could somebody confirm? Also, if so, do you believe a German dealer will be able to update the hard drive at a cost, or will I have to replace the entire system? I ask, because on the mercedes site, it only lets me pick USA/CAN for Map Updates--so wondering if they aren't compatiable in Europe with these cars--whereas the SD format can be updated easily.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
If memory serves, the CLA is using TomTom for navigation and requires the SD card purchase to activate navigation in the car.

For the GT you should be able to just go to a German MB dealer which can update comand system to the European maps, which should be done via USB (stick).

They will I’ll likely charge you unless you can convince them that it could be part of the 3 year free map updates (if within 3 years of first purchase).
Good luck!
Old 04-02-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
If memory serves, the CLA is using TomTom for navigation and requires the SD card purchase to activate navigation in the car.

For the GT you should be able to just go to a German MB dealer which can update comand system to the European maps, which should be done via USB (stick).

They will I’ll likely charge you unless you can convince them that it could be part of the 3 year free map updates (if within 3 years of first purchase).
Good luck!
Perfect, that is what I wanted to know. It's a USB and should be able to be done at the dealer here. Thanks for the assist.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Lifted G500, GT-S, track Cooper S
Correct on the USB upload to the hard drive. Once you have it, the dealer can check your vin to see if you have the most current version, as each download is tied to the VIN and a unique PIN. The
Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by invictusmaneo
Correct on the USB upload to the hard drive. Once you have it, the dealer can check your vin to see if you have the most current version, as each download is tied to the VIN and a unique PIN. The
Thanks much. I came across a UK website that said it would be roughly £268 or $325+ for the stick and the pin code. Is this in line with what a dealer may charge? Didn't realize how lucky I was with my $40 SD card for my wife's GLA 😳