Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT S feels like it surges forward even when I let off the gas...

Old 05-18-2019, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS Solarbeam Yellow
Question GT S feels like it surges forward even when I let off the gas...

Has anyone experienced this? Lately it seems if I am accelerating, then let off the gas, the car lurches forward with greater intensity even once my foot is off the gas pedal.

Furthermore, it seems like the delay between downshift paddle pull and downshift, as well as upshift paddle pull and upshift is a bit greater than normal?

2016 GT S, 7600 miles

My friend said it may need spark plugs and coils but I am not certain, does anyone have an idea of if this is normal or what?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by nabizzy
Has anyone experienced this? Lately it seems if I am accelerating, then let off the gas, the car lurches forward with greater intensity even once my foot is off the gas pedal.

Furthermore, it seems like the delay between downshift paddle pull and downshift, as well as upshift paddle pull and upshift is a bit greater than normal?

2016 GT S, 7600 miles

My friend said it may need spark plugs and coils but I am not certain, does anyone have an idea of if this is normal or what?
What driving mode do you experience this (C, S or S+). Is your car tuned? I just had the new factory ECU campaign installed and it drives much much smother. But if its tuned different story.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 GTS, '18 AMG GLE 63S, '06 SL55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I just had the new factory ECU campaign installed and it drives much much smother.
Would you mind expanding details on this a bit? i.e. differences, availability date, any cost, etc. Just had mine in the shop yesterday and was unaware, they said nothing so I'm wondering what I'm missing.
(stock GTS btw) Thanks much.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Factory campaigns are software and hardware updates done free of charge. So is the Navg., if your car qualifies for one.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by S63AMG888
Factory campaigns are software and hardware updates done free of charge. So is the Navg., if your car qualifies for one.
Thanks for the response, new to this board and vehicle so appreciate your patience. I bought the car last month ('16 GTS, CPO w/ 1400 mi.) so however the factory campaign notifications are done probably hasn't caught up with me yet. I do see a Nav update in the records 6/'18. I've no idea when/if the last ECU update was done, I imagine the only way to know is for the dealer to plug in and tell me. Jim's description of driving "much much smoother" does sound intriguing though. Is there a database somewhere listing most recent updates, recalls etc?
For the OP, hope your issue gets resolved.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
No problem. Glad to help a fellow member. Factory campaign updates should of been done at the time the dealer is CPOing your GTS. There are several campaigns out there. ECU, Transmission, Navg, etc. I have even seen software updates to remove the speed limit from the factory of 128mph to its advertised top speed.

The only way to know if you have updates available is for the dealer to check your VMI ( Vehicle History ) that includes updates and what was done to you car from the date it was first delivered.

PM me your VIN number and I’ll check your vehicle history Monday and let you know what updates are available for your GTS.

Originally Posted by WildPete
Thanks for the response, new to this board and vehicle so appreciate your patience. I bought the car last month ('16 GTS, CPO w/ 1400 mi.) so however the factory campaign notifications are done probably hasn't caught up with me yet. I do see a Nav update in the records 6/'18. I've no idea when/if the last ECU update was done, I imagine the only way to know is for the dealer to plug in and tell me. Jim's description of driving "much much smoother" does sound intriguing though. Is there a database somewhere listing most recent updates, recalls etc?
For the OP, hope your issue gets resolved.

Last edited by S63AMG888; 05-19-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Thanks much!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 AM

AMG GTS Solarbeam Yellow
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
What driving mode do you experience this (C, S or S+). Is your car tuned? I just had the new factory ECU campaign installed and it drives much much smother. But if its tuned different story.
This is normally in sport plus or race, the car is tuned but it hasnt been an issue before.

I have not had campaigns done since i purchased the car about a year ago, so maybe I need to take it in for that...
Old 05-28-2019, 05:51 AM

AMG GTS Solarbeam Yellow
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
No problem. Glad to help a fellow member. Factory campaign updates should of been done at the time the dealer is CPOing your GTS. There are several campaigns out there. ECU, Transmission, Navg, etc. I have even seen software updates to remove the speed limit from the factory of 128mph to its advertised top speed.

The only way to know if you have updates available is for the dealer to check your VMI ( Vehicle History ) that includes updates and what was done to you car from the date it was first delivered.

PM me your VIN number and I’ll check your vehicle history Monday and let you know what updates are available for your GTS.
Howdy

Is it fine if I PM you my VIN also for you to check this out for me?

Cheers
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
OP, I have spent close to 5 decades working on, designing, and modifying cars. Your friend, well if this was 1980 he might have a point. In todays cars with drive by wire, and all things electronics, I'd say almost no chance he is correct. The should probably never need to be replaced, my guess would be it is the tune. Tunes can be fine and then cause havoc a year later (this I know from multiple experiences, if the ECU senses even a slight issue. I would put a scanner on the car (a good one not some cheap $29.00 one), or take it to a shop that can do it for you. You are probably going to pull codes, when you do contact the tuner and let them know. the ECU controls everything from the way the car shifts to the way the pedal reacts when you push it down. After all these years, I never tune my cars unless I am hold the stock tune (in a handheld) or use a piggyback that I can control. If your tune is in a handheld, I suggest going back to stock, and see if the issues are still there, and then re-flashing it. Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by carnut1:
California John (05-29-2019), thebishman (05-28-2019)