GT(S) Traction Control quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
GT(S) Traction Control quality

Hi gang,
Considering an AMG GT (probably an S, the R is outside my budget at present) to use as an occasional street/track day car. Actually, the car's main purpose would be to use in the One Lap of America.

The event centers around 3-lap track sprints with some other tests (autocross, drag, skidpad) thrown in. I ran it for the first time this year in my 2008 Viper ACR (which is for sale if anybody's looking for a really nicely setup one) - did ok as a first-timer, but the lack of any kind of traction control really impacted confidence on the wet tracks.

I've seen how the new GT-R and C63S have the awesome 9-level TC knob, allowing for very fine tuning. What I don't know, is how good the next-step-down system is, particularly in inclement weather.

Looking for anecdotes from good drivers that have tracked their cars in slippery conditions, to see how the various traction/stability modes behaved (any A/B tests against the AMG 9-mode or similar systems from Porsche or GM also helpful). I'm looking for a car with a system that will help me (a decently good fair weather driver) optimize lap times in the wet by providing just the right level of intervention.

In a perfect world one could retrofit the GT-R's system into a lesser model for a reasonable cost, though that seems unlikely.

Thanks in advance MBWorld!
Jason
Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
Never would happen. You’re better off staying with the basics on the GTS. Some camber and tires.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
News to me that the C63s has variable traction control. That’s a GTR only feature...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:05 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
News to me that the C63s has variable traction control. That’s a GTR only feature...
Yep - on the C63S as of 2019: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

Figured retrofitting to a GTS probably not in the cards - any input on the different drive modes (Sport, Sport +, Race) from those that have tracked theirs, particularly in the wet? I wonder if it somewhat corresponds to the 9-stage system being at position 3,6,9?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
That’s odd.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
Yeah, it's very bizarre of them to throw that into the C63S, and is just another unfortunate example of them watering down their halo cars.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:36 PM

CLK55 AMG
The C63S actually has cooler steering-wheel based controls for the 9-mode TC (GT-R has it in the center stack). In one video I saw the guy said the controls came from the One supercar.

That C-class is a pretty impressive bargain - same basic motor as the GTS, better tech, about half the cost. Just carries about 500lb. extra weight in a much more commonplace (but roomier!) chassis.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by j--rho
The C63S actually has cooler steering-wheel based controls for the 9-mode TC (GT-R has it in the center stack). In one video I saw the guy said the controls came from the One supercar.

That C-class is a pretty impressive bargain - same basic motor as the GTS, better tech, about half the cost. Just carries about 500lb. extra weight in a much more commonplace (but roomier!) chassis.
I wouldn't go that far. The C63s has virtually nothing in common besides the engine (well, almost. M177 vs M178 with dry sump) and the electronics which will be on the MY20.

Have you actually driven a GTS? These are surprisingly sticky cars. The variable traction control does not really come into play outside the track.
That said, I like the updated steering wheels but am annoyed by the plasticky feel to the wheel controls. This was on the GT63s...
Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I wouldn't go that far. The C63s has virtually nothing in common besides the engine (well, almost. M177 vs M178 with dry sump) and the electronics which will be on the MY20.

Have you actually driven a GTS? These are surprisingly sticky cars. The variable traction control does not really come into play outside the track.
That said, I like the updated steering wheels but am annoyed by the plasticky feel to the wheel controls. This was on the GT63s...
It's all about the track!

Haven't driven one yet. I'm sure the GT/s/c/r are very well balanced and grippy cars, but everything has its limit. It looks like in their Nurburgring run (in the dry) the driver had the 9-mode TC set in roughly the middle setting:

From the flashing white light, can see that it intervenes quite regularly - and that's in the dry. It would be even more valuable to lap times in the wet. Love that tech!

I'd much prefer a GT-R over a C63S. The car's main objective will be to be fast on the racetrack, but still streetable for jaunts between tracks. The 9-mode TC would be of huge benefit in varying conditions, it's the same sort of thing used on real race cars. It can be added to a car, but that's a $15-20k investment for the Motec ECU and integration, likely also at the cost of some streetability. Racelogic used to make a nice unit but they're out of production now.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by j--rho
It's all about the track!

Haven't driven one yet. I'm sure the GT/s/c/r are very well balanced and grippy cars, but everything has its limit. It looks like in their Nurburgring run (in the dry) the driver had the 9-mode TC set in roughly the middle setting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AtXzca-zSY

From the flashing white light, can see that it intervenes quite regularly - and that's in the dry. It would be even more valuable to lap times in the wet. Love that tech!

I'd much prefer a GT-R over a C63S. The car's main objective will be to be fast on the racetrack, but still streetable for jaunts between tracks. The 9-mode TC would be of huge benefit in varying conditions, it's the same sort of thing used on real race cars. It can be added to a car, but that's a $15-20k investment for the Motec ECU and integration, likely also at the cost of some streetability. Racelogic used to make a nice unit but they're out of production now.
Plenty of members here that track their GTR's and a lot of experience with their preferred TC settings. On the other hand I don't remember seeing many here that track primarily any other GT model. Having had a chance to drive a GTR & GTS on the track, there is a world of difference between the two models.
Since you want to track the car most of the time you may have to save up and wait for a used GTR coming by. I saw a low mileage GTR selling for a touch under $140k used a while back.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS
I can't specifically speak to the GTS, but as a new owner of a 2019 C63S Coupe, I can say the 9 Stage AMG traction control is pretty cool and works very well. It sends just the right amount of torque to the rear wheels for the best traction. I'm still learning the car, so I haven't dared to turn off ESP and dial in TC myself, but it dials itself back automatically based on the current mode and with ESP in sport handling mode. The new AMG Dynamics chassis setting basically controls how much TC intervenes among other things before you even get to the stage of dialing in the level yourself. I've so far had it in RACE with ESP in sport handling on the Nurburgring (I'm doing European Delivery and have been here since the beginning of May) and it just works its magic in the background. I think the thing I like the best is that compared to more traditional TC, it doesn't intervene abruptly by cutting engine power etc. if you suddenly lose traction. It continuously determines how much torque the rear wheels can actually put on the tarmac in any given situation and just regulates it transparently. It's more of a torque management system that controls wheel spin before it happens, rather than a traditional TC system that reacts to wheel spin.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (06-16-2019)