Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Bluetooth is finally here in US and available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 E550A Cabrio; 13 VW GTI Autob 14 FJ Cruiser, 14 Ural GearUp
This is all great news but I have a question or two to ensure that I understand what I need to do. I too spoke with AWS and confirmed my Cingualr RAZR has the proper software version. My CLK500 is prewired but I have do not have a cradle yet. My dealer told me they would have to do some wiring and install the cradle. AWS told me if the car was prewired for a v60, the puck would work fine with all features (although I didn't ask about call waiting).
  1. Has anyone had a cradle installed by their dealer? If so, what did it cost? I see where AWS offers cradles for $220.
  2. 2. AWS told me I would have to purchase the puck from them, not my dealer. True?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer
This is all great news but I have a question or two to ensure that I understand what I need to do. I too spoke with AWS and confirmed my Cingualr RAZR has the proper software version. My CLK500 is prewired but I have do not have a cradle yet. My dealer told me they would have to do some wiring and install the cradle. AWS told me if the car was prewired for a v60, the puck would work fine with all features (although I didn't ask about call waiting).
  1. Has anyone had a cradle installed by their dealer? If so, what did it cost? I see where AWS offers cradles for $220.
  2. 2. AWS told me I would have to purchase the puck from them, not my dealer. True?

Thanks for your comments.
Assuming the cradle is all you need and everything is prewired like the my older Benzs, installing the cradle is a 15 minutes job. This is what I did when I swap out my Timeport cradle to a Moto E815 cradle in my CLK55. First determine the location to mount the cradle, predrill screw holes, secure cradle, connect antenna and the RJ45type plug, and that is about it. Now I believe you will need to bring your car in to the dealer so they can activate your car phone option with the Star Diagnose computer. Go to this page and you will find the instruction on your car, http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm Good luck.

John

Last edited by JohnAMG; 02-26-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Quick question: I'm a little confused. I have a W211 2004 and have the Mercedes/Moto V60 phone kit which I use today. Is this MHI or UHI? I went to the AWS site and there are 2 options it seems (1) is a spaceage looking blue and silver type insert (which looks like it would not fit in my cradle) and (2) a black puck like thing that is exactly the shape of a V60 phone (without the antenna) and seems more like what I need.

If I type in my model for more info, it says not available yet and put me on a list. But if I type in a newer model like a 2005/06, then I get the screen where I can purchase.

Is it possible that the spaceage looking this is available now for newer cars with newer phone kits and the black one for the older phone kits like mine is at the end of March?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:00 PM

2006 SLK350
Originally Posted by abhansali
Quick question: I'm a little confused. I have a W211 2004 and have the Mercedes/Moto V60 phone kit which I use today. Is this MHI or UHI? I went to the AWS site and there are 2 options it seems (1) is a spaceage looking blue and silver type insert (which looks like it would not fit in my cradle) and (2) a black puck like thing that is exactly the shape of a V60 phone (without the antenna) and seems more like what I need.
Is it neither UHI or MHI. Yours is D2B, and requires the "black puck" (2) device.

Originally Posted by abhansali
If I type in my model for more info, it says not available yet and put me on a list. But if I type in a newer model like a 2005/06, then I get the screen where I can purchase. Is it possible that the spaceage looking this is available now for newer cars with newer phone kits and the black one for the older phone kits like mine is at the end of March?
That is exactly correct. The retrofit for D2B is not yet shipping.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 AM

2003 SL500
Can someone update me on the status of UHI Bluetooth puck availability, preferably in the US, but if necessary in Europe?

I have a 2003 R230, with a MBenzNL fitted UHI system and a S-E T637 cradle, but I'd be interested in getting a generic Bluetooth UHI cradle if that gave me a better selection of phones - the T637 is a couple years old now, and I'm hard on phones so I'm afrait it will soon give out.

Thanks

Last edited by ToonArmy; 02-27-2006 at 01:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2006, 11:59 AM

2005 CLK500
Verizon Razr V3c

Originally Posted by Skylaw
I believe JackK was likely (and fortunate enough) to have gotten a V3c with the .02 software (so was I) with OBEX enabled
Skylaw is correct, My phone has the .02 software..... I may swing by my local Verizon store to try out a phone with the .03 software for the heck of it...
Old 02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
beware, the .03 filmware might have OBEX Disabled.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:56 PM

2005 CLK500
Verizon RAZR .03 Software Works!!

Originally Posted by jackK
Skylaw is correct, My phone has the .02 software..... I may swing by my local Verizon store to try out a phone with the .03 software for the heck of it...
Well, I went to Verizon, and bought a new Razr V3c for my wife, who wanted to come over to the Verizon service. The new phone has the .03 software, and IT COMPLETELY WORKS!! If OBEX is truly disabled (as posted elsewhere) it does not affect the MB Bluetooth system!! Phonebook, recent calls dialed, received, and caller ID all work as expected!!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, in that case, great. Everyone in the Howard forums were saying the OBEX in the first shipment of the RAZR was a mistake, LOL I guess after the class action suit for the V710, they have learned the hard lesson not to mess with the feature.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
Originally Posted by taroliw
Is it neither UHI or MHI. Yours is D2B, and requires the "black puck" (2) device.

The 2004 W211 is MOST system NOT D2B. May be earlier version of 2004 W211 with build date of 2003 have D2b. I have 2004 W211 with May build date, so mine is definately MOST.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:46 PM
taz

03 E320 & 02 CLK320
Originally Posted by taroliw

I thought D2B was only in pre 2003 models... and MOST in 2003s...

I have to admit, I am just confused either way...

Have two cars (02 CLK, 03 E) both with v60i Motorolas...

Just crossing my fingers one of the AWS items will work for both... I am guessing the black puck...

Anyone have either 'puck' in the above models? Are things working?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
I talked to AWS tonight around 6:00pm Pacific Time, and was told that the current BT module is for 2005 and 2006 cars with MHI interface only. The BT module for 2004 and earlier cars will be available around end of March, and no price has been set, may $400-$500 range.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Almost a Member!

I just installed my BT puck from AWS. Had Park Place in Dallas install wiring and base craddle, $1000 with labor. The BT Puck took about 1 minute to install. I have a motorola MPX220 and it paired ok but the phonebook and call lists didn't download. I guess I will go get a RAZR from cingular now....! But still happy to have BT in the car.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by roadrageC55
I just installed my BT puck from AWS. Had Park Place in Dallas install wiring and base craddle, $1000 with labor. The BT Puck took about 1 minute to install. I have a motorola MPX220 and it paired ok but the phonebook and call lists didn't download. I guess I will go get a RAZR from cingular now....! But still happy to have BT in the car.
I have a MPX220 as well. Now that you have confirm that it will not transfer contacts and call lists I guess I will be getting a RAZR as well.

Go check out ebay, they are selling the V3 for around $200 unlocked and the newer V3i for around $300.

Can't wait for the 2004 BT puck becomes available.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 AM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by dtkw
Wow, in that case, great. Everyone in the Howard forums were saying the OBEX in the first shipment of the RAZR was a mistake...
No, the Howard forums people are correct... Verizon has indeed disabled OBEX in the .03 firmware revision.... But after some investigating I think I figured out why it still works....

The MB bluetooth adapter DOES NOT use OBEX.... It utilizes Hands-Free Profile (HFP)

From the AWS WEBSITE:
"Note:
The MB Cradle Adaptor relies on Bluetooth HFP Profile
The Bluetooh HFP profile provides basic call handling features.
Further features like Phone Book Download, Call Lists Download are not included in the HFP Standard and can not be guaranteed with every phone."

FROM BLUETOOTH.COM:

"HFP describes how a gateway device can be used to place and receive calls for a hand-free device. A typical configuration is an automobile using a mobile phone for a gateway device. In the car, the stereo is used for the phone audio and a microphone is installed in the car for sending outgoing audio. HFP is also used for a personal computer to act as a speaker phone for a mobile phone in a home or office environment. HFP uses SCO to carry a mono, PCM audio channel."

SO.... After investigating further, Verizon has indeed disabled OBEX (Object Exchange Profile) in the the Razr's .03 firmware.

However, that does not matter to the MB Bluetooth device, as it is NOT USING OBEX for its connection.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Almost a Member!

The phone sound quality is pretty bad. I called a few people last night and they all complained that it sounded like I was talking thru a tunnel and it was hard to hear me. So on the way to work I left myself a voice mail at work and just listened to it. It does sound pretty bad. I sure hope a RAZR or SLVR are better and that it is not the BT adaptor.

Also, the "puck" is huge. In the pics it looks like the size of my BT headset, but it is actually bigger than my cordless phone in my house. It takes up the entire center console....not sure why it is so big. It feels very light and cheap/plasticy. So I am guessing it has a lot of empty space inside to make it took cooler for some crazy reason instead of being as small as possible to allow use of the top of the center console.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pix?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:17 PM

CLK 320
I just called Auto Wireless Solutions (1:45pm PST on 3/2/2006) and the person on the phone said that the V60 BT adaptor (for the DB2 based cars) wouldn't be available until May!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Almost a Member!

I paired a friends brand new Motorola SLVR L7 yesterday and it downloaded phone book and recieved and sent call lists. So I am assuming the new RAZR V3i will work fine since they are basically the same phone.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Almost a Member!

paried the unlocked RAZR V3i i got off eBay and it works just as well as the SLVR. No issues and downloads phone book and call lists.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 PM

2006 slk 55 amg
Hi,

Maybe someone can help me. The more I read the more I get confused with this bluetooth capability and phones for MB cars.

Anyway I just spoke with my MB dealer and was told that I can get a bluetooth installation kit (not MB parts) for my car (brand new 2006 clk 350) for $895. It will just take about 3 hours for them to install. They told me that it would only work with phones that have voice activation commands, and would not download phone book. If want to have the phone book download I would have to get the MB phone installations kit that cost about $900 plus labor which would total to $3,200.

I will got tomorrow and see them to get more details.

Is this something you guys were told also before by your MB dealers?

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by nycboy
Hi,

Maybe someone can help me. The more I read the more I get confused with this bluetooth capability and phones for MB cars.

Anyway I just spoke with my MB dealer and was told that I can get a bluetooth installation kit (not MB parts) for my car (brand new 2006 clk 350) for $895. It will just take about 3 hours for them to install. They told me that it would only work with phones that have voice activation commands, and would not download phone book. If want to have the phone book download I would have to get the MB phone installations kit that cost about $900 plus labor which would total to $3,200.

Thanks,
Wow $3200??? That is way too expensive. Parts plus 3 hours labor should do the job. And don't forget to get the voice recognition module too.

John

John
Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by nycboy
Hi,

Thanks,
I believe the $895 unit is by Argos. But wtf are they talking about w/ that $900 unit plus $2,300 labor!?!? That is outragous. I sincerely hope you misunderstood them. If not, put as much distance between you and that crooked dealer as you can!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 PM

04 SL600
Treo 650 and Argos

Thought some of you might be interested in this.

Just bought an Argos unit from eurocarphone.com for my 04 SL600. Was able to install it in about 45 minutes. It syncs immediately with my Sprint Treo 650 (although I had to pair it almost 3 times before it started working right). Doesn't support phonebook download, nor does it show signal strength but everything else works. (ie. command keypad, voice control, steering wheel buttons, etc.) I really don't need the phonebook download because I just stored my most commonly used numbers into the voice control phonebook. It's awesome although the price is a bit steep. Nonetheless, it's far cheaper than MB's kit.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 AM

11 E550A Cabrio; 13 VW GTI Autob 14 FJ Cruiser, 14 Ural GearUp
I spoke to my dealer yesterday (Bill Ussery, Coral Gables) about the availability of the AWS/MB "puck". He informed they have none and have been told that it would be 2nd quarter, which he defined as June (or later). Furthermore, none of the new S500s they have sold have the puck and all those new owners are also waiting.

I contacted AWS about 3 weeks ago and they told me the dealer had to install the cradle and I would then purchase the puck from them. I've read here that some of you have already received pucks from AWS. My service advisor told me no, I would buy everything from them.

Has anyone had the AWS installed (cradle and all) from a dealer? If so, which dealer? I'd like to pass along this information to my dealer.

I keep reading the dealers are the last to know so any legitimate intelligence I can gather and provide them will hopefully help me in getting Bluetooth installed!

Thanks- - -

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Bluetooth is finally here in US and available