Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

w203 Comand is always a little behind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 Comand is always a little behind

I have retrofitted a Comand unit and placed the antenna under the dash and everything is working quite well, but my position seems to always be about 40 feet behind where I actually am. I get from 3 - 8 satellites, and tires are calibrated.

Is this normal, if not, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Slow down and let it catch up. Just Kidding. I know some guys who love a little behind, but that is a different story.

Most units need a little time to calculate the position, look-up the map and display it. 40 feet is not out of the question. I am not sure if there is anything to be done because not all Comand units are the same. Year, model, and Comand software version might help. You can put year and model on the left side of the screen under your handle.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Same problem on 03' SL500. Dealer states "that's normal". The voice directions are on target. It's just the display that lags.
Glenn
Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The '04 update to COMAND included a faster processor and better (MOST) system bus. It calculates routes and displays much faster than the earlier unit.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Some older automotive GPS units were designed to handle accuracies as close as 30 feet, not closer. Newer ones are good to 10 feet.

If your unit stays 30-40 ft off, I wouldn't worry too much - but if it gets progressively worse as you travel (I had one that would start out accurately but get 1 to 2 tenths of a mile off in a 5 to 10 mile trip) then it is a wheel size setting done by the dealer.

About 2 years ago I posted this problem for a replacement nav unit in my '00 S500 - there was debate on the forum about the STAR diagnostics setting for wheel size being the same as the owner-set tire size (and new vs used) menu settings. All I can say is that I had properly set the tire size, and new vs used tire settings didn't alter the error. After the dealer properly set my wheel size in STAR diagnostics (he specifically stated that they had overlooked setting the wheel size in STAR diagnostics when they installed the replacement unit) - my nav system returned to proper function. When I questioned the tech on this, stating that I had set the tire size, he said there was a wheel size that also had to be set by the dealer, separate from the tire size.

Hope that helps.