Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500, Black on Stone
Update to SL500 install

More info on my install. I downloaded a free Android application today--called Lazy Car. There are a few others like it...but this seems to be the best.

It allows me to auto-answer calls on the phone, without needing to use the COMAND system. This gets around one of two problems I've discovered using an HTC Evo for incoming calls. By auto answering, I no longer need the COMAND or steering wheel buttons (which were not working).

In Lazy Car, there are a bunch of settings...one of them is delay for auto answer. I set it to 5 seconds. You can also set it to go to Bluetooth or to Speakerphone automatically upon call pickup.

My goal was to be able to auto answer and use Bluetooth (BTA1500) without any intervention on my part.

Half true. The COMAND shows the call coming through, the call is auto answered by the phone (Lazy Car), but the phone does not auto route that call through Bluetooth upon pickup. It requires me to go into the phone menu and hit the Bluetooth On setting. A couple of clicks, can be done quickly, but not optimal.

I tried several other apps with similar results. The Lazy Car app and a couple of others noted that the auto answer feature with Bluetooth enabled does not work on HTC phones specifically. I wonder how this would work if I didn't have an HTC?

They claim to have a fix coming for HTC...I hope it comes along soon. It would be great to auto answer and go straight to the BTA1500.

Hence, I have the setting to route the call to Speakerphone after automatically answering. At least I can hear the call initially, and then I can manually switch over to BTA1500.

Jazzphile
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
'06 E55
Very informative thread but i still need some clarification and i hope you guys are patient enough to answer my questions.

My '06 E55 has Navigation/HK sound system. I would like to get an IPOD/hands free Blue tooth so does DG 500 be able to provide that ? How do i know if my car is fiber optic equipped or not ?
Can i get a USB IPOD /phone charger installed in the center console ?
Any good installers in around KY ?
Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Your car definitely has fiber optics for the audio system, and the original writeup has plentiful photos of what the fiber connectors look like (though their locations will differ in your car). If you have doubt as to whether the GW 500 is suitable for your car, check the compatibility chart on the Dension website.

The GW 500 for MOST fiber optics does offer an iPod integration with a Bluetooth add-on option; however, you could also check InCarTronics/mObridge for their combo units. When you must add both the BT and the iPod functions, the CarTronics or mObridge units may be easier to set up; however, they also require you to give up your CD changer, which the GW 500 does not.

My GW 500 iPod installation charges my iPhone, as mentioned in the writeup. It has separate USB and RCA input as well, also mentioned. I have no idea if it is compatible with the iPhone cradles sold for use with MB iPod integration kits.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-25-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Update to SL500 install

Hi,

Just one last update to my install of the GW500. I have a 2005 SL500.

Unit generally works well. Occasionally there is a hiccup with something or other and I have to turn off and on to reset whatever glitch occurred. But this is unusual and in general the system works well.

Ipod functionality is the most reliable. Bluetooth audio streaming also works well but seems to stop by default after 30 minutes. This might be a phone setting and not related to the GW500--not sure yet. I have not tried the USB device option. Aux-in works well but I don't use it.

Bluetooth phone calls work well but with some limitations as I mentioned above. I'll summarize my situation, with one significant improvement since I last posted:

1. 2005/6 versions of MOST do not allow phone book upload from modern smart phones like the HTC Evo. Manual phone book entry and storage works in COMAND, and displays correctly when the call number matches what is in the phone book. I have a feeling that I could figure out a workaround for this--such as loading my Evo phonebook onto an older cel phone and then uploading, or loading to my computer and uploading via bluetooth, but I haven't bothered. It has to to with Object Push Profile and other methods of pushing the info via bluetooth to the COMAND phone book. Technology has passed by this version of the COMAND.
2. Phone/song information is not displayed in the speedo cluster, other than CD# and track # when playing Ipod. Phone calls not displayed in speedo cluster at all. All Ipod and phone info is properly displayed on COMAND.
3. Earlier I mentioned my HTC Evo would not auto answer to bluetooth with the "Lazy Car" application I downloaded. This issue is fixed. A recent HTC update for the Evo seems to have fixed this problem. So now, I can use the auto answer functionality of the Lazy Car application to have the Evo auto answer phone calls, directly to bluetooth.

Even though the SL500 COMAND and steering wheel controls don't work when trying to answer calls thru bluetooth, the Lazy Car auto answers after 2, 5 or 10 seconds (user setting). I can answer the call without any intervention. In some ways, this is actually better than the original in-car functionality in that you are not distracted from the road, don't have to use the steering wheel or COMAND buttons to answer the call.

The only drawback is you can't reject calls without going to the actual cell phone before a call is auto-answered. There are settings within Lazy Car to auto answer all calls, only answer calls in your phone book, etc. I have it set to auto answer all calls.

All in all, after using the GW500 and BTA1500 for some time now, and with the Lazy Car working properly with the HTC Evo, I would have to say that this setup has met or exceeded all of my needs and has met my hopes for functionality. It is not perfect, but it's well good enough based on what it costs vs. the MBZ phone kit and Ipod kit (separate, expensive, and the Ipod kit is not really available thru MBZ for the 2005 SL500).

I suspect that if you are using an Iphone, the auto answer functionality must exist in either the Iphone or a marketplace app you can download. This is the most critical piece that was lacking in the implementation from Gateway/BTA1500 and the SL, but now easily worked around.

I can now heartily recommend the GW500 and BTA1500.

If you are only interested in the Ipod functionality of the GW500, I give the GW500 an unqualified recommendation.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for posting your experience with the GW 500 and BTA 1500 combination, jazzphile. Detail was excellent.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:31 AM

Skylaw,

Thanks....your work in this arena has been the most informative and extensive of anyone on the web, not just on this forum and benzworld. You have helped so many with all of your work. A big thank you.

I thought I might get a rise out of you with my Bose rant in one of my earlier posts, but I was disappointed to see that you did not bite.

Happy New Year!

Jazzphile
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again for the kind words, jazzphile.

Personally, I like Bose - I don't argue that it is the best out there; even the optional upgrade THX-certified system in my wife's '05 Town Car is much better, for example. I would like "tighter" bass response in my S500 - much like the Bose system that was in my '00 Audi A6, with two 8" subs, stock. And, if I could trade out the system in my car for hers, at reasonable cost, I would in a heartbeat.

But I also know that folks' hearing differs, and believe it is not worth the money to pursue statistical performance figures unless you can actually hear the difference - and then, consider whether the difference is worth the delta in cost.

For some folks it is; judging by your screen name alone, you would pursue it where I (with some hearing loss due to flying jets for 20 years) might not.

I do know that the direct fiber optic input of the Gateway 500 or some of the competing systems by InCarTronics and mObridge beats the heck out of using the MB AUX input, which compresses the input even beyond whatever compression is used in the playback device. Floobydust did a pretty good set of measurements that bears out what my ears had told me anyway. https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...way-500-a.html

And, for my ears, the audio quality of DVD sound tracks (not the .mp3 DVD capability, but original commercial DVD sound tracks) is quite good on my stock Bose system - except for the lack of sufficiently tight bass. We can't display the video - but the audio on music DVDs (e.g. the Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels Tour) is the best of any of the input options.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-28-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 AM

Skylaw,

I won't disagree with some of what you said. Previous to my SL, I owned a 2002 S430, so I would have to agree that this iteration of the BOSE system was MUCH better than the one in the SL500. I would trade my BOSE for that in the S Class in a hot minute.

I also had an E Class with the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system, and I'd have to say that this was better than either iterations of the BOSE system.

When I bought my SL, I was APPALLED at how awful the sound quality of the system was. I was driving home from Vegas and played endlessly with the system....ending my trip frustrated by how far a step back I had taken with the sound quality.

That said, now with the Dension and the ability to EQ (anathema to me in any other setting) via the Ipod, I can get the system to at least sound decent.

But I will admit, I'm an audio snob. Audio Research, Conrad Johnson tubed equipment, KEF speakers, Martin Logan speakers, Thiel speakers, etc. etc. So I'm used to high end sound quality and know what is good and what is not good.

Again, my compliments to you for sharing all of your knowledge. I can't tell you how many times over the past 2 years I've read the threads to which you've contributed (Gateway 500 and others). It is largely through your writeups that I finally convinced myself to pull the trigger on the Dension.

Happy New Year.

Jazzphile
Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 AM

I must add two things that frustate me about the SL BOSE system:

1. The mid-bass hump is absolutely horribly pronounced. This is where the EQ of the Ipod comes in handy. But stock and set to neutral in the BOSE, it's almost unlistenable.

2. The surround implementation in the SL is horrible as well. Very little sound from the rear, and that which does come from the rear is so processed as to almost be unuseable. It's sort of distorted and processed at the same time, and only in the high end of the midrange to add slight "ambience".

Lastly, another thing that frustrates me about the BOSE in the SL: While you have surround modes in line sources like CD, DVD and Dension, when listening to FM, you only have the front Left and Right speakers, with no additional sound processing. FM sounds absolutely attrocious on the SL BOSE system. Simply unlistenable if quality is important to you.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM

2006 S430
Hey guys, 1st post here. I purchased a 2006 S430 today and was shocked to find no aux in. The Denison Gateway 5000/GW51M02 seems to be the best choice for me, but I cant tell clearly if it will work or not. Its listed on the compatibility list. Stupid question, but are there 2 parts? The 5000 and the GW51M02? I definitely am too scared to install myself, so I have a friend who is a tech and he will install it for me. Anything I need to tell him? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this newbies question
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM

w164/500
I can't get the BTA1500 work

I install gw500 with BTA 1500. I paird iphone4 no problem, but when I press the
TEL button on the Command unit, It says Phone not available. I cant upload my phone book, cant answer the phoes or make a call from the steering wheel or Command unit. What I am missing here?
(I have Motorola phone unit from factory under the rear driver seat but no phone plug in the arm rest) If anyone know about it please help.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM

2001 S430
Hate to bring up an old thread but I looked through the pages and couldn't find the information I was looking for.

I own a 2001 S430, I'm not sure which COMAND I have, whether it's MOST or D2B and the firmware. Also, is it possible to have the Gateway 500 installed in my car taking consideration the year of it? I really couldn't find any info about 2001 W220's. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM

W216
Exclamation Dension GW500 + W216?

Hello,

I'm new here. I just bought a '06 CL500 (W216) and I need a solution for BT telephony + iPod music or optional USB. I found the Dension Gateway 500S BT which is what I need - at first sight...

I would like to know if this compatible with the Comand APS NTG3 or not? I tried to find an answer to my question but found different answers on different sites so I'm really confused right now. I also have a DVD changer in the car - I don't know if this matters or not?

Thank you for your answers!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 AM

Prius 2012
Hello Skylaw,

I have a question about installing Dension Gateway 500 GW51MO2 to my 2007 Mercedes C280. I have a CD changer that I am not planing to use anymore. Is it possible to just unplug the CD changer power and fiber optic cables and use them to connect the Dension Gateway 500? Do I have to take the dashboard out to reach back of the stereo or just the CD changer cables are sufficient?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 AM

CLK 320
Is there anyone around SoCal that can help me with the install?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM

2008 S550 4Matic
2006 S430 + Dension GW500MO2 not working, Please help

Hi, Hello Skylaw and others,

I know a bunch of people have done this ( W220 Most + Dension GW500 )and it's worked out well by following instruction provided by Skylaw but it is not my case.

My car is a 2006 S430 4Matic with Bose system, Factory Bluetooth (Dongle) and CDC.
The Dension GW500 is GW51MO2.

As what instructed in SkyLaw's post, I re-sequenced the fiber-optic ring by swapping the F/O connectors between CDC and VCS, 6 up in DIP switch.

When I turned the COMMAND on. under the CDC manual, shows 6 CD numbers with first 4 empty. The 5th and 6th shows no content ( even with CDs in ). Did I miss anything ? Please help.

By the way, should I see a red fiber light from the Dension output whenever the GW is powered on ? otherwise how can I tell if the box is functioning ?

Thanks!

Last edited by tom2jian; 05-18-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

tom2jian,

The description sounds like a DIP switch problem. However, first, you list two different Gateway boxes, so we don't know which you have; and it would help if you'd tell us whether you have a single FOT (fiber optic terminal) or dual FOT configuration, and if duaal, how you connected it.

From post 15 above:

"I suggest first trying all of the DIP switches down. The Version 2 hardware had 4 DIP switches, and all were positioned down for installation. Version 3 hardware has 6 DIP switches, and in the 2-connector installation, all are positioned down for Mercedes. If that switch positioning does not work, try the Audi switch positioning. Obviously, it would be best to confirm that the DIP switch position works, before final mounting of the GW 500 and re-installation of the head unit.

"Do not forget: If one does not re-initialize the fiber optic bus after making changes (turn COMAND or H/U power off, turn ignition off for at least 2 minutes, then turn all back on) changes will probably not register. Re-initialize the bus to see any changes made in switch positions."

As to whether you will see the red light, yes, you will, in one of the fiber leads, if your Gateway unit is receiving light input and is on. However, the fact that you see anything at all on the COMAND screen indicates that light is passing. That's what leads me to suspect DIP switches.

Also, don't forget the hints discussed earlier in getting the thing to work the first time. Initial setup is not intuitive.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-19-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:16 PM

2008 S550 4Matic
2006 S430 + GW51MO2 is not working

Hi, Skylaw,

Thanks very much for the response. The GW I have is a Dension GW51MO2 with dual FOT configuration.

The fiber loop I configured is in following sequence: (Type 1 in the manual)
HU:LightOut ---> GW51MO2:Car_Side/LightIn Then LightOut ---> CDC:In Then CDC: LightOut ---> HU:LightIn.

DIP switch setting: ( 6 switches )
All down with 3 and 6 up.

What I see after power cycling the loop:
The following is what I see under CD Manager:
1 _
2 _
3 _
4 _
5 AUX GW
6 Menu

After I select 5, the system tells me:
.AUX GW
.no IPod UI
.no Ipod GW

but my Ipohe 5 was attached to the IPod cable and playing a audio novel.
So the system looks is not recognize my Ipone.

Where can go next ? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails -fullsizerender-1-.jpg   -fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunately I do not know if the problem is because of incompatibility with the Iphone, or something else. I used my system exclusively with an iPod, and i do know that my installation instructions cautioned to use the "latest" iPod firmware - so there is a firmware component to successful use.

It is apparent that you have the system installed properly, because you get the light, and you have indications on the dashboard. I no longer have the car with the Gateway 500, so I cannot go out and check to verify what you see.

My suggestion is that you connect an iPod to the system and see what it shows you.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM

2008 S550 4Matic
Hi, Skylaw,

Thanks very much for clarification of my installation. I will proceed by following your suggestion and post back with progress.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM

2008 S550 4Matic
Hi, Skylaw,

I finally got a IPOD 5 classic and tested it. it works. Thanks very much for the help.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Originally Posted by alper
I install gw500 with BTA 1500. I paird iphone4 no problem, but when I press the
TEL button on the Command unit, It says Phone not available. I cant upload my phone book, cant answer the phoes or make a call from the steering wheel or Command unit. What I am missing here?
(I have Motorola phone unit from factory under the rear driver seat but no phone plug in the arm rest) If anyone know about it please help.
Hi,

I have the same problem, everything is working except the phone function, but BT audio works great as also ipod!

What could be wrong?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Hey everyone, so I'm finally sick and tired of the FM bluetooth transmitter and I'm ready to upgrade to possibly a pension unit. Dension seems to have a lot more products than before... can can anyone chime in if they know which ones are compatible? I really don't care about the screen showing what music I'm playing or steering wheels controls or any of that- I prefer going off my phone anyways. I basically just want an aux input but bluetooth would be amazing. Im liking the "gateway Lite BT" product...
http://www.dension.com/products#car-...edia-solutions

Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
yes, they have more products to fail more often, still with crappy documentation sorry so blunt
Old 05-13-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Originally Posted by jbondox
yes, they have more products to fail more often, still with crappy documentation sorry so blunt
So I've heard... the lack of options is so frustrating... do you have any recommendations?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation