Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
BUMP update
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Big Update!

Here is an update for everyone: we have been dilligently working to add features as well as to cover more and more platforms with the Smartkey Starter. We have a bunch of videos for you to look at....

First off, the S and CL (W221 and W216) are completely tested and shipping. Here is some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXD19fdwsHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVZcANx1g8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KGk_z9K_Is

The E Class and CLS Class (W211) are also 90% finished with testing; its taking longer with the E because there are so many model/year/chassis variations to test and we need to get a few more of the older E's to check. The same version should also work with the CLK, C, and G Wagon and we are starting testing those platforms after the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZTUIJDDJbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ei5u05mXsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMpzJlKRwNk

The W204 C Class and GLK are also finished and will be shipping next week... we are waiting on a few plug-and-play connectors to come from Germany so we can finish building the quick harnesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LQGzGHD64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78E7YksW2gg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMVRo6AQ9ac

One of the excellent features that we have introduced is the ability to retain Keyless Go locking and unlocking during remote start which allows you to remote start and then still enter the vehicle without the need to press the unlock button. Adding this involves running an extra cable from the Smartkey Starter module to a specific point in the vehicle. It is still plug-and-play but it adds a little bit of labor to do so. The additional cable is needed for the ML/GL/R, S/CL, C/GLK. The E/CLS supports retained Keyless-Go but does not need the extra cable. Here is a video showing it in action on a GL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJd02_dw66w

In many of the videos you will notice that we now have an extended range remote control option available for the Smartkey Starter. The extended range remote version of the Smartkey Starter has a special plug for the antenna built right into the unit and adding external remotes is as simple as plugging in the antenna and mounting it on the windshield. All of the remotes support remote Lock, Unlock, Trunk, and Start of the vehicle. In addition, the 2-Way pager remote allows you to have visual and audio confirmation of the each operation which allows you to do things like Remote Start the vehicle without actually seeing it. The 2-way remote will alert you once to let you know that it received the start command and then it will alert you again in a few seconds to let you know that the vehicle actually started and is running. We have 1500 and 3000 ft antenna kits available. Also note that even when using the long range remotes that the remote starting via the factory remote is still retained as well. The extended remote Smartkey Starter also comes with an interface so that a Cellular/SMS vehicle controller can be added which allows you to call your Mercedes from anywhere in the world using your mobile phone and lock, unlock, pop the trunk, or start the vehicle!

Remember that all of the features are *only* available with the Smartkey Starter!

Finally, our next order of business is to cover the SL and the W220 S class and then start working back through the older model platforms over the next couple of months. We are also looking into doing a promotion (group buy or forum discount) for members here on the MBWorld forums which is something that I know many of you have been asking about. We havent forgotten and we are going to put something together for everyone here so look for more details on that in the coming weeks.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
so just wondering when the ones for the 03-09 clk will be ready and what will be the price feel free to shoot me a PM on the price
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Midcity

Old 04-04-2009, 05:10 PM
.V.
Almost a Member!

2006 E420 490 CV
what about the price?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Seems like they're not interested in giving exact prices or install instructions. This seriously turns me off to the product, which is a shame.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by acr2001
Seems like they're not interested in giving exact prices or install instructions. This seriously turns me off to the product, which is a shame.
Sorry about that... the price has been established for some time as $999 installed but the idea here is to try to set up a much better group buy price specifically for MBWorld forum members... Since we are the manufacturer we have the ability to leverage the absolute best price for you but depending on what region you are located in we do not sell directly (e.g. In canada our distrubution is handled by Automobility) so we have to coordinate pricing with our partners for any special promotions.

Installation is a bit trickier depending on what platform you have. Certain models ar easier (like the ML/GL/R which involves removing the radio and reaching behind to the ignition module and changing plugs). Others, like the E class are more difficult and basically involve removing the center console and parts of the dash just to be able to get to the same ignition module. All of the Smartkey Starter systems are plug-and-play which makes it much more difficult to goof up the installation but there is still a level of difficulty involved in getting to some of the connectors and properly mounting the hardware which is why we are recommending professional installation for this product. The Smartkey Starter also comes with a lifetime warranty when it is installed professionally so its definately in your best interest to go that route. Nevertheless we will have installation instructions posted online in the coming weeks as we get everything finalized; In the meantime if anyone has questions feel free to ask and ill get them answered.

Smartkey Starter is the culmination of literally years of work to get to this point and I know that everyone is really excited to finallybe able to remote start their MB, particularly if you live in a really cold or hot area. Just bear with us a bit longer and we have have all the details on the group buy worked out and get you guys a really great deal.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by Flame3g
so just wondering when the ones for the 03-09 clk will be ready and what will be the price feel free to shoot me a PM on the price
We are just doing the final testing on some of the earlier MY CLK's e.g. they are expceted to work just fine but we install the starter on each MY and give it a complete workout just to make sure that MB didnt sneak in any changes for this year or that... I believe we are checking 04-06 on tuesday...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
.V.
Almost a Member!

2006 E420 490 CV
Ok,

Is it a posibility for a installed system on a 2005 class E keylessgo in Belgium ? (so no panic button)

Maybe you need some test on euro models?

Did you think about a partenership with MBenzNL?

Last edited by .V.; 04-05-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by rob13572468
Sorry about that... the price has been established for some time as $999 installed but the idea here is to try to set up a much better group buy price specifically for MBWorld forum members... Since we are the manufacturer we have the ability to leverage the absolute best price for you but depending on what region you are located in we do not sell directly (e.g. In canada our distrubution is handled by Automobility) so we have to coordinate pricing with our partners for any special promotions.

Installation is a bit trickier depending on what platform you have. Certain models ar easier (like the ML/GL/R which involves removing the radio and reaching behind to the ignition module and changing plugs). Others, like the E class are more difficult and basically involve removing the center console and parts of the dash just to be able to get to the same ignition module. All of the Smartkey Starter systems are plug-and-play which makes it much more difficult to goof up the installation but there is still a level of difficulty involved in getting to some of the connectors and properly mounting the hardware which is why we are recommending professional installation for this product. The Smartkey Starter also comes with a lifetime warranty when it is installed professionally so its definately in your best interest to go that route. Nevertheless we will have installation instructions posted online in the coming weeks as we get everything finalized; In the meantime if anyone has questions feel free to ask and ill get them answered.

Smartkey Starter is the culmination of literally years of work to get to this point and I know that everyone is really excited to finallybe able to remote start their MB, particularly if you live in a really cold or hot area. Just bear with us a bit longer and we have have all the details on the group buy worked out and get you guys a really great deal.
Thanks! Can't wait to see the installation instructions. Count me in when the group buy is ready.

My only remaining question is about security - can you tell us if it opens any security holes? I'm guessing part of the installation involves having it "learn" your key which it then keeps in memory. Does this mean it could be "hacked" to get your car running and driven away?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by acr2001
Thanks! Can't wait to see the installation instructions. Count me in when the group buy is ready.

My only remaining question is about security - can you tell us if it opens any security holes? I'm guessing part of the installation involves having it "learn" your key which it then keeps in memory. Does this mean it could be "hacked" to get your car running and driven away?
The installation of the smartkey starter does not create any sort of security hole in your vehicle. This is in contrast to many of the other remote starter systems that do have this problem. A good example of this is vehicles with the RFID chip in the key. The normal solution when installing a remote starter is to add a box and inside that box is either another key or a duplicate RFID chip that is programmed to the vehicle. The remote starter would energize the box which provides the code to let the vehicle start. The problem is that thieves realized that having a remote start actually made the vehicle easier to steal because now the thief could take the wire and energize the box manually and then simply hotwire the vehicle.

Smartkey Starter was designed from the start to be secure; basically what the starter does is regularly sync with whatever key you are currently using in the vehicle and uses this to generate the codes needed to start the vehicle at any point. The difference is that the smartkey starter is entirely self contained; there is no way to seperate the authorization portion from the control portion so it cannot be used selectively to break the authorization system.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by .V.
Ok,

Is it a posibility for a installed system on a 2005 class E keylessgo in Belgium ? (so no panic button)

Maybe you need some test on euro models?

Did you think about a partenership with MBenzNL?
Thats not a bad idea...a guy like steve would be ideally suited to do the installations.

The start button can be moved to other buttons on the factory remote; we have been talking about setting up specific button combinations for the euro models without the panic button. Also remember that you can also have an external remote that activates the starter from much further distance. We will be starting a testing program for euro vehicles shortly.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Thanks for the answers Rob. Sounds like you've created a VERY solid product.
Now just create one for the W203, release an install guide, and let the group buy begin!! I'm hoping half of the $1000 price tag is for installation?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
another update:

Got the SL roadster working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvhTOUVHkI

as a bonus, the SL version is also going to have extended auto-top control feature... press trunk, then lock or unlock and the top will automatically raise or lower itself...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
Originally Posted by rob13572468
another update:

Got the SL roadster working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnvhTOUVHkI

as a bonus, the SL version is also going to have extended auto-top control feature... press trunk, then lock or unlock and the top will automatically raise or lower itself...
man now i wanna SL
Old 04-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C32 4Matic - That's Not A Typo! :D
Have you gotten anywhere with this for say the C32 guys?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM

Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
GM has had this oem technology for a while in their automobiles and the only thing I can think of that stopped Mercedes from integrating this technology in their cars is the so called idling laws in Germany. Idling laws are in place to limit pollution, so when you remote start a car it sit and pumps unnecessary pollutants into the air, but mostly on 18 wheels and City Buses, but anyhow…… I’m not concerned too much about pollution. I’m excited to see that someone has taken the initiative to make this happen. I want this!

edit:
questions

1. Will it start with the windows down on the w209 & 219's ?

2. I may have missed this answer to this question, but once the engine has been started via the remote does it timeout and cut the engine off if left on for a certain amount of time?

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 04-29-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM

LOADED 2006 E500
Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
…… I’m not concerned too much about pollution.

WOW, What a statement, imagine if EVERYONE in this country shared your lack of concern??? I'm hoping you meant differently.

Anyway, many german cars, VW, AUDI, MB...use fiber optics, and bus systems in the electronics in the car, which no American manufacturer uses....to my knowledge, but I could be wrong. That's what makes it complicated for MB cars. If the wiring in these cars were as "simple", per say, as what GM has done with their electronics and some of the older MB's, this would have been done a long time ago. Or we'd buy an exisiting kit, like ones from DEI.

MB does make a starter for their cars that's not an advertised option in the US on purpose, but I know for sure it sold in other places. It's not really a "remote starter", because it's a whole separate system to warm the engine or cool the car, but it's kinda the same. Anybody can ask MBENZL (Steve) about it. He's it demostrated it to me on a E55.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by smooth_caramel
WOW, What a statement, imagine if EVERYONE in this country shared your lack of concern??? I'm hoping you meant differently.

Yes.. I meant what I said in relation to remote starters on cars and idling laws Go back and read my post slowly. It may benefit you to relate the entire post to the pollution remark I made instead of cutting one thing and calling me out.

Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by smooth_caramel
MB does make a starter for their cars that's not an advertised option in the US on purpose, but I know for sure it sold in other places. It's not really a "remote starter", because it's a whole separate system to warm the engine or cool the car, but it's kinda the same. Anybody can ask MBENZL (Steve) about it. He's it demostrated it to me on a E55.

Now.... You said MB does make a starter for their cars, but then you go on to say the following "It's not really a "remote starter"

Keep in mind that we want to START our cars with a remote from a distance and not put a damn blanket on the engine to keep it warm or add a cold generating unit to keep it cool.

Thank you sir!

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 05-06-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 AM

LOADED 2006 E500
Yes, it is a remote starter and does all that BLAH BLAH you said. What I meant was, that it's not just quick install like many remote start systems. It's it's own separate system, different focus for the bells & whistles, unlike this one. Like I said, if you really, REALLY, want to know all the details, contact Steve, instead of cutting in on one thing that I said and calling me out. I'm waiting for this one.

Also, don't get all defensive about your statement of not caring about the environment or not caring about the pollution your car puts out, it's not like like I said it.

Thank YOU sir.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:19 AM

2001 CLK430
any news for W208 2001 CLK430??
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Rob... LMAO... hit me up.. I need a RS on the unimog
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by CakeDaddy
GM has had this oem technology for a while in their automobiles and the only thing I can think of that stopped Mercedes from integrating this technology in their cars is the so called idling laws in Germany. Idling laws are in place to limit pollution, so when you remote start a car it sit and pumps unnecessary pollutants into the air, but mostly on 18 wheels and City Buses, but anyhow…… I’m not concerned too much about pollution. I’m excited to see that someone has taken the initiative to make this happen. I want this!

edit:
questions

1. Will it start with the windows down on the w209 & 219's ?

2. I may have missed this answer to this question, but once the engine has been started via the remote does it timeout and cut the engine off if left on for a certain amount of time?

to answer your questions:

1. yes it will

2. the engine will shutdown after 15 minutes of runtime.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by BKzCLK430
any news for W208 2001 CLK430??
nothing yet... we are still working backwards through the models...
Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by jbondox
Rob... LMAO... hit me up.. I need a RS on the unimog
i know.. first i have to finish the mercedes delivery truck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote starter for Mercedes with Smartkey