Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Another OPTI-1 Success story, and big thanks to jbondox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Another OPTI-1 Success story, and big thanks to jbondox

I finally had a chance to install a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX in my 2005 SL55 AMG a few weeks ago. I used the OPTI-1 for a trouble free interface with the factory amp and speakers. I used a Metra Access ASWC-1 to maintain steering wheel controls. I also installed a Sirius module for satellite radio and backward and forward facing cameras.

I bought my 2005 SL55 nearly 2 years ago. I did not have Bluetooth or Sirius. I looked into adding a Bluetooth puck to the COMAND unit but, it was cost prohibitive and rather difficult to discern exactly what parts I needed for the install.

Then I found some posts about the OPTI-1. For roughly the cost of the modules to add Sirius and Bluetooth to my existing outdated COMAND unit I could purchase the OPTI-1 module and replace the dated COMAND head unit with a full feature modern head unit while retaining the factory amp and speakers. I bit the bullet and purchased an OPTI-1 last year.

I finally had a chance to perform the install a few weeks ago. I've worked extensively on both Classic and modern cars for a living and found the install very straightforward. It took me a few days to run both cameras, antennas for GPS/Sirius, etc.

Aside from gaining all the unbelievable features of a modern head unit I was astounded by the sound quality of the stock speakers. You would think I changed out the speakers as well. From other reviews I have read it's not just the head unit I installed but, it seems any quality modern aftermarket head unit will drive the speakers much better than the COMAND unit. I just wasn't expecting such an increase in sound quality over all.

The OPTI-1 is a god sent for owners of Mercedes MOST equipped cars. I used to debate between driving my Chevy Truck of the SL55 on occasion as I could listen to MP3's on a USB drive through the Kenwood in my truck and only had the options of CD's or, the local radio in the SL. That's no longer an issue.

I have to give a HUGE thank you to jbondox for all his help both through PM's and here in the Audio Forum. His knowledge and expertise was invaluable while I researched the OPTI-1 as well as with several questions during the install. He spends a considerable amount of time helping people here on the forum and sharing his considerable knowledge and experience.

MANY THANKS for all your help jbondox!

Last edited by vtvette; 04-07-2015 at 11:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pa28pilot (12-19-2016)
Old 04-10-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG
Thanks for posting this Brian. It's very helpful.

Out of curiosity, what prompted you to go with the AVIC vs the AVH? Seems the integrated Nav units are difficult and costly to keep up to date.

I love the idea of Apple Car Play and Android Auto using the power of modern smartphones to add functionality to head unit.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Thanks Brian!

MN 32AMG,Apple carplay has no cd mech and limited on what it can do because of apple blocking apps, and the AVH phone mirroring is great until you lose data when traveling, there is pos and neg to both, I prefer integrated until i build my own system
Old 04-11-2015, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Also there is a new optical unit coming out that will cover c, ml, gl and r class, about 2 months out
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by jbondox
MN 32AMG,Apple carplay has no cd mech and limited on what it can do because of apple blocking apps, and the AVH phone mirroring is great until you lose data when traveling, there is pos and neg to both, I prefer integrated until i build my own system
Great points. Thanks. What is the cost associated with keeping an AVIC unit up-to-date with maps? I had an Kenwood Excelon unit and it was like $300-$400 for new maps.

GMM - Gunners Mate Missiles? I'm a former GSE.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
most fall around $100, there was someone that told me that Garmin had a coupon or a sale and it was like $79. This is for the SD card type you download. Same with Alpine, still cheaper than factory nav discs though.

yep, missiles... used to party with the GSE guys all the time on CG-55... a lot of good times there!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
most fall around $100, there was someone that told me that Garmin had a coupon or a sale and it was like $79. This is for the SD card type you download. Same with Alpine, still cheaper than factory nav discs though.

yep, missiles... used to party with the GSE guys all the time on CG-55... a lot of good times there!

Used to work instructional videos for RCA missile combat systems. Aegis on Ticonderoga CG-47 using standard missile 1. Loved that launch sound!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93' 300E 2.8, 04' S500
Originally Posted by vtvette
I finally had a chance to install a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX in my 2005 SL55 AMG a few weeks ago. I used the OPTI-1 for a trouble free interface with the factory amp and speakers. I used a Metra Access ASWC-1 to maintain steering wheel controls. I also installed a Sirius module for satellite radio and backward and forward facing cameras.

I bought my 2005 SL55 nearly 2 years ago. I did not have Bluetooth or Sirius. I looked into adding a Bluetooth puck to the COMAND unit but, it was cost prohibitive and rather difficult to discern exactly what parts I needed for the install.

Then I found some posts about the OPTI-1. For roughly the cost of the modules to add Sirius and Bluetooth to my existing outdated COMAND unit I could purchase the OPTI-1 module and replace the dated COMAND head unit with a full feature modern head unit while retaining the factory amp and speakers. I bit the bullet and purchased an OPTI-1 last year.

I finally had a chance to perform the install a few weeks ago. I've worked extensively on both Classic and modern cars for a living and found the install very straightforward. It took me a few days to run both cameras, antennas for GPS/Sirius, etc.

Aside from gaining all the unbelievable features of a modern head unit I was astounded by the sound quality of the stock speakers. You would think I changed out the speakers as well. From other reviews I have read it's not just the head unit I installed but, it seems any quality modern aftermarket head unit will drive the speakers much better than the COMAND unit. I just wasn't expecting such an increase in sound quality over all.

The OPTI-1 is a god sent for owners of Mercedes MOST equipped cars. I used to debate between driving my Chevy Truck of the SL55 on occasion as I could listen to MP3's on a USB drive through the Kenwood in my truck and only had the options of CD's or, the local radio in the SL. That's no longer an issue.

I have to give a HUGE thank you to jbondox for all his help both through PM's and here in the Audio Forum. His knowledge and expertise was invaluable while I researched the OPTI-1 as well as with several questions during the install. He spends a considerable amount of time helping people here on the forum and sharing his considerable knowledge and experience.

MANY THANKS for all your help jbondox!
Can you tell me how did you wire steering wheel controls.
I installed pioneer in my 04 s500 with OPTI. Everything works great but still haven't figure out how to connect steering wheel control adapter. I purchased pac control5.

Last edited by urtruelove78; 05-29-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Use the Metra ASWC1, the PAC one doesn't work correctly. Set for 04-08 E class if the S is not listed
Old 06-01-2015, 04:33 PM

93' 300E 2.8, 04' S500
Thank you. I read instruction on aswc1 as well and I'm trying to find wires in my harness for can high and can low. I'm not seeing this wires behind factory radio so assuming they are audio gateway. I want to be certain about tapping into there.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
what vehicle/
Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM

93' 300E 2.8, 04' S500
2004 S500
Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
brown and brown/red at the gateway. you can grab it at the ac controls also in a pinch.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM

93' 300E 2.8, 04' S500
brown and brown/red at the gateway. you can grab it at the ac controls also in a pinch.
Great Thank you. Will give it a shot tonight.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:29 PM

93' 300E 2.8, 04' S500
Originally Posted by urtruelove78
Great Thank you. Will give it a shot tonight.
Tried this weekend. No luck so far.
ControlPro5 Wiring
Yellow to ignition
Black - Ground
3.5mm to Radio
Pink - Can Hi - to climate control twisted pair brown
Pink/black - Can Low - to climate control twisted pair brown/red
Another OPTI-1 Success story, and big thanks to jbondox-20150613_195906.jpg

Tried default Dip switch as well as all dip switches down custom programming.
Controlpro is not seeing steering button press.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
swap the pinks
Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 PM

93' 300E 2.8, 04' S500
swap the pinks
Bingo. I'm in business. Thanks a ton.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
LOL
Old 10-24-2015, 11:08 AM

2007 Mercedes SL550
Looks like I found the right thread to follow in all of the internet. I recently purchased a 2007 SL550 and am new to the MB world. Owned (and still do) a Porsche Boxster and did an upgrade to a Pioneer HU in that and kept the factory amp with no issues so was surprised to see how much different this one will be. Told the wife if was going to run about $600 for a full upgrade ($500 for HU (Pioneer AVH-4100) and $100 for the dash kit). Well I was already over by about $200 when I started looking for the wiring harness. Surprise #1, there is no harness. Surprise #2, now I have to either rewire all the speakers or get a FO to Analog converter to hook into the Bose amp. Seems like everyone is happy with the results of using the OPTI-1 with the existing amp, so I'll probably take that route unless someone pipes up, but my primary question is, where is the cheapest place to get it? I found one for $408 shipped, can anyone beat that? And yes, of course I already have the HU, steering wheel controls, faceplate and iPhone connectors ordered and on the way. Perfect order right?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
www.access1alarm.com had them cheap and they are close to me. email them access1alarm@gmail.com , also it is an analog to FO converter

you can't just rewire either unless you use a 5 channel amp, wire the rears to the factory and use an Lpad for the center channel...
Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 PM

2007 Mercedes SL550
Ok, so everything is here....AVH-4100NEX, ASWC1, OPTI-1, faceplate kit, etc. So I take it apart and find on the back of the radio the 2 FO cables, and a connector with 3 wires. No antenna wire. Not sure which wire is which cause I can't seem to find a reliable wiring diagram on the net, and starting to wonder if I made a big mistake here. The 3 wires that came out of the back of the radio are brown, blue and yellow/red. I obviously didn't research this enough and have no idea where to tap into the appropriate wires for power (ign), power (constant), and ground, let alone steering wheel controls, reverse, illumination (headlight sensor), nor even where to get the antenna cable to see what adapter I'll need. New to the forum here so not sure about the rules, but not trying to hijack this thread so let me know if I need to start a new one! Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Orcrist13
Ok, so everything is here....AVH-4100NEX, ASWC1, OPTI-1, faceplate kit, etc. So I take it apart and find on the back of the radio the 2 FO cables, and a connector with 3 wires. No antenna wire. Not sure which wire is which cause I can't seem to find a reliable wiring diagram on the net, and starting to wonder if I made a big mistake here. The 3 wires that came out of the back of the radio are brown, blue and yellow/red. I obviously didn't research this enough and have no idea where to tap into the appropriate wires for power (ign), power (constant), and ground, let alone steering wheel controls, reverse, illumination (headlight sensor), nor even where to get the antenna cable to see what adapter I'll need. New to the forum here so not sure about the rules, but not trying to hijack this thread so let me know if I need to start a new one! Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
Brown is ground in German cars (confirm with continuity tester).

IIRC yellow/red is switched power (confirm with test light).

Steering wheel control you tie into the CAN bus plugging into the audio gateway behind the drivers seat (search "R230 ASWC1" here on the forum)

Antenna also plugs into the same audio gateway behind the drivers seat. IIRC you need an adapter and an extension antenna cable to run up to the head unit.

You'll also need to pull constant 12v + to your aftermarket head unit (and your ASWC1 IIRC). Some pull 12v + constant from the cigarette lighter in the center console. I pulled from the fuse box behind the passenger seat.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
constant & ground is at the comand
illumination & ignition at cig lighter
reverse at light or rear sam
when removing the comand, set the instrument cluster to display audio and set the comand to radio am or fm before disconnecting the power
CAN wires can be also taken off the A/C controller but since you are going to the gateway it is up to you.

Rear camera is a treat to run in that vehicle! bust out the bourbon for that!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:39 PM

2007 Mercedes SL550
What a fun job this has turned out to be....seriously. What better way to get acquainted with your car than to start tearing it apart. I was leery at first but the further I get into it the less daunted I become....it is just another car after all. Anyways, got most everything working so far. All I need now is to connect the antenna and buy a new ASWC-1 (turns out the one I got on eBay was missing part of it) to get the SWCs working. I have to questions for you helpful folks, and I'd like to really thank you for the help you've posted so far. First, which cable on the gateway is for the AM/FM antenna, and is there some magic trick to getting it out? And secondly, the MOST adapter said "You must decode the voice recognition from the car via the local dealer before removing the COMAND radio"......my question is, what the hell does that mean exactly? Everything seems to be working even though I didn't do that.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
1 black
2 ignore

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Another OPTI-1 Success story, and big thanks to jbondox